The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on October 30, 2013, 02:34:46 am

Title: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: pmcd9 on October 30, 2013, 02:34:46 am
I don't know if we have one particular place where we've discussed this matter so I just started a new thread because I saw this blog post (http://joannarenteria.com/2011/12/13/i-was-considering-grad-school-and-then-i-saw-this-hilarious/) and wanted to share.
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: jaydub on October 30, 2013, 06:25:53 am
Where is the option for Chile?
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: pmcd9 on October 30, 2013, 09:26:27 am
Where is the option for Chile?

Added!
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: AugustWest on October 30, 2013, 12:39:04 pm
Can I change my vote?
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: AugustWest on October 30, 2013, 01:46:44 pm
Ain't they got universities in Chile?
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: side_show on October 30, 2013, 05:58:54 pm
Oh god, go to Chile.  For serious. 
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: theinevitable on October 30, 2013, 05:59:56 pm
I wish I hadn't told you guys about that idea, because it is not happening.
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: theinevitable on October 30, 2013, 07:46:51 pm
You're right, it is dumb, that is why I am going to grad school.
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: littlefallsmets on October 30, 2013, 08:35:50 pm
I would say that working in a grocery store will teach you more about the human condition and how life works than a graduate degree...

But I dunno, I've gone down the path of Life Experience and Grand Adventure more than a few times and crashed and burned and here I am again in my childhood bedroom in my thirties.

Maybe I would be a success had I picked a different path than this. Hell, probably.

But I don't think I'd be a better person. I think that what I've done has beaten some of the worse burrs off of my soul.
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on October 30, 2013, 08:36:25 pm
 
Well, if you have an undergrad degree that isn't putting any zip to your life why not pick up a grad degree to keep it company...
The first roll of the dice didn't pay out so he's doubling down to chase the win.
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: theinevitable on October 30, 2013, 10:54:28 pm
You need to decide if your argument is that getting a master's is "too safe" or a stupid gamble.
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: Doc on November 02, 2013, 10:08:00 am
I mean he might enjoy it?
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: wombat on November 02, 2013, 11:49:29 am
Sure he might but there aren't a lot of people who can go to grad school just because they enjoy it and then not feel bitter if it doesn't get them a job.
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: jay-ell on November 02, 2013, 03:05:57 pm
I loved the HELL out of grad school, and I still get a little woozy whenever I see how much I still owe on my student loans and think about the prospects for ever getting a job in my field of study.
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: theinevitable on November 02, 2013, 05:31:02 pm
Well, the programs I am applying to have 90+% job placement rates. So that looks OK. Although we have already seen that I might be in the bottom 10% of achievement in terms of turning skills/credentials into a job.
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 02, 2013, 05:44:24 pm
I loved the HELL out of grad school, and I still get a little woozy whenever I see how much I still owe on my student loans and think about the prospects for ever getting a job in my field of study.
Is this because you weren't able to take on a TA or similar job along the way? Most of the guys I know who went on to grad school (other than law school) had significantly less debt from grad school than undergrad because they spent their time working for the university.
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: jay-ell on November 20, 2013, 11:02:54 pm
Is this because you weren't able to take on a TA or similar job along the way? Most of the guys I know who went on to grad school (other than law school) had significantly less debt from grad school than undergrad because they spent their time working for the university.

Yes, I was a full-time parent the whole time I was in school. Plus, because of circumstances, we also borrowed living expenses on top of my tuition for three semesters. I wasn't really planning on getting knocked up twice in less time than it took me to finish a MA, and it sort of forced our hand financially. But we survived, I guess?
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 21, 2013, 03:04:13 pm
I was lucky enough to have a job with tuition assistance. So they paid for grad school (which I did part-time). What's more, at the time they did not have any requirements that you stay on the job for a certain amount of time after receiving tuition assistance. I literally had my last day of work there on a Friday, got my diploma that night, and started a new job the following week. "Thank  you for your training money--good-bye."
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: theinevitable on December 15, 2013, 12:24:30 am
One application down, 5 to go. These things suck.
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2014, 09:32:58 pm
Did you apply here (http://www.uchile.cl/postgrados/5309/urbanismo)?
Title: Re: Inev Goes to Grad School
Post by: theinevitable on January 08, 2014, 10:15:59 pm
I don't speak much Spanish but "NO ACREDITADO" sounds ominous. I guess it would be kind of mirroring my grandpa moving to the US for grad school. He and my grandma came with 2 kids and 2 suitcases. He wanted to move here because the education system in Chile was so bad. Which was 50 years ago, but now it is supposed to be still pretty messed up.