The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on November 01, 2013, 10:02:34 am

Title: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: wombat on November 01, 2013, 10:02:34 am
That's exactly the same as my usual life though.
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11012013 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=11012013)

Thread at 6 am courtesy of my jetlagged brain that has been awake since 4.
Title: Re: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: AugustWest on November 01, 2013, 03:00:19 pm
Aw, now I gotta start following Twitter?  Really?  Damn.
Title: Re: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on November 01, 2013, 03:52:36 pm
I tried using twitter for its intended purpose, but that got real boring real fast. Once in awhile someone on CNBC will start begging for comments and I go for it. My comments have made it to the screen twice. Once for basically calling Bill Ackman a belligerent moron and once for asking who this one dude had pissed off to be moved from one of the prime time afternoon shows to the abysmal 4:30AM slot.
Title: Re: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: wombat on November 01, 2013, 04:14:50 pm
Twitter is my favorite social networking site (aside from here if we want to call this such a thing). Like anything else in life it depends on who you hang out with. For me it's useful for all kinds of different things. I follow a bunch of interesting science writers, some funny people, the local weather, some people in Japan, some websites and blogs so I know when they update, some pug people...  When I was in Japan I visited with someone I met on Twitter who helped me with an earlier article about Japan that I wrote. When something happens in the world the first place I hear about it is usually Twitter. It's more like the old-school internet where you interact with interesting strangers, unlike Facebook which for some reason thinks you only want to know people you already know.
Title: Re: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: pmcd9 on November 01, 2013, 05:37:15 pm
I think he's pretty right on about Twitter. Both "It's where you go to win a conversation that nobody's having" and "Twitter is good for people who could be funny, but need like 6 hours to come up with a zinger" made me laugh out loud (LOL).
Title: Re: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: nephilim8 on November 01, 2013, 06:19:57 pm
I'm cautiously optimistic about having the Achewood over the twitters. I suppose I'm presuming this is a replacement for the blogs, and while that's ok I guess I don't see how he can keep them all straight and in decent quality, especially since everything is still hand drawn after a decade (seriously, the guy doesn't have like a Ray/Beef exchange template by now?)

Now that I think about it, one of the things that keeps me coming back to Achewood is the writing, which makes me think the comic strip is almost the wrong format for expressing these characters. Oh sure, the visuals are great for reference and so forth, but would you still read Achewood if it were a series of short novellae, a la Wodehouse? Cuz I sure would. In fact if a "strip" was just each character's interpretation of an event, like with the #####ing doll in the blogs, I would eat that shit up like chocolate-covered coffee seeds.
Title: Re: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: jaydub on November 01, 2013, 06:21:05 pm
I use it a lot on football days, and hardly at all any other time of the week.  It allows me to have conversations about the game that I can't get in a sports bar because I can't hear anything when more than 2 other people are speaking around me (due to deafness). 
Title: Re: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: theinevitable on November 01, 2013, 07:13:40 pm
I follow twitter probably too much. I follow 450 people. Pretty much everything I have learned in the past year or two has come from following urban planners and theorists and social scientists on there. There is a closely knit network of weird left-wing academic types who I follow who have led me to a lot of great stuff to read. I can't overstate how much my current understanding of urban issues comes from the people I follow on there.

Also, some really great comedy going on.
Quote
Death is pretty fucked up and scary..itll have to have one fucked up symbol. right now im thinkin skeleton farmer wearing a robe
Quote
"family jewels" is a weird expression. like your mom&dad are shareholders in your balls. but your dick is your own
Quote
girl, if i was in charge of the alphabet, i'd have such power.... such total dominion over the very substance of language. then youd date me
Quote
Cops are legally required to tell you what their favorite movie is, otherwise it's Entrapment (1999)
Quote
The news makes it seem as if almost everything is terrible, but actually almost everything is dirt, rock, wind, sky, plants, quiet, animals.

A lot of the "weird twitter" (I hate that name) people are really into achewood. The thing I like about most of those people is that part of the humor is their weird "voice" and spelling/syntax habits. Similar to what I like about achewood.
Title: Re: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: wombat on November 01, 2013, 07:27:49 pm
There is a closely knit network of weird left-wing academic types who I follow who have led me to a lot of great stuff to read. I can't overstate how much my current understanding of urban issues comes from the people I follow on there.

This is the same for me and the science and nature writers. I don't know how you manage to follow that many people though.  I follow under 200, and I can just about keep up.
Title: Re: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: theinevitable on November 01, 2013, 08:20:17 pm
I think I am actually ignoring a lot of people, but when I try to pay attention to which accounts I habitually scroll past I never notice. There are a lot of St Louis institutions and restaurants and bands and stuff that I just scroll right past unless a word catches my eye.
Title: Re: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 04, 2013, 06:37:57 pm
I use Twitter primarily for talking about sporting events. It is a good time-waster as well, with people posting links and funny stuff. Like Inev pointed out, there's a lot of comedians posting amusing things. It's definitely not something to keep up with full-time, that would be impossible.

It's also valuable for getting current event info in near real time, but you have to bear in mind that 90% of what's posted is bullshit. But if there's a delay on the Metro, I can get the scoop from Twitter faster than anywhere else.

I'm sure no one expected any less, but Philippe's Twitter handle in the strip is for reals.
https://twitter.com/philippe_hugs
Title: Re: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 08, 2013, 09:36:46 pm
Not to be a dick, but... today's Friday. No new Achewood. I has a sad.
Title: Re: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: wombat on November 08, 2013, 10:16:25 pm
Friday isn't over yet!
Title: Re: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: pmcd9 on November 08, 2013, 10:28:20 pm
I've expected this streak to end every Friday since the first.

It wouldn't be an Achewood production otherwise.

He kept it up just long enough for me to start having expectations.

Friday isn't over yet!

Such faith. Such naivete. You should note that up to this point in the current run he's posted everytime basically in the middle of the night on Thursday so that we wake up to a new comic on Friday.

I has a sad.

We all do buddy, we all do.

Edit: This just in! from the Achewood website "This week's strip will run on Saturday."
Title: Re: It says I wrote too much! It's the opposite of usual life! Nov 1 2013
Post by: wombat on November 08, 2013, 11:29:40 pm
Edit: This just in! from the Achewood website "This week's strip will run on Saturday."

See! what did I tell you?