The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: pmcd9 on November 20, 2013, 06:03:54 pm
-
A friend posted this picture of their Christmas tree. But check out the poster in the background. What is that Pug flavored gum?
(https://scontent-a-dfw.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/q77/s720x720/1452556_10151995041028011_1266186702_n.jpg)
-
I am pretty sure pug flavored gum would be nasty.
-
Our neighborhood shopping plaza had their outdoor tree lighting ceremony last weekend. I can only assume that eventually Christmas will start the day after Labor Day.
-
This is the time of year I get very surly about going to public shopping places on account of Christmas creep. So far my grocery stores are more interested in selling Thanksgiving, so I haven't been pissy about shopping there (to my wife's relief). Her craft stores are OK too - I get the need to have seasonal fixings up well in advance in that environment so crafty types can have projects done by the holiday. She leaves me home for trips to Target and the malls though. Neither of us enjoy those at this time of year.
-
Yeah it seems like Halloween is the new on switch for Christmas doings. I love Christmas lights and like Christmas music too so it's a good scene got me. Wish Thanksgiving wasn't getting the short shrift though.
-
I adore Christmas. But it pisses me off that it stomps all over Thanksgiving, which is my very favorite holiday and the ONLY one that everyone in this country, regardless of race, color, or creed, can agree on.
Yes, I know the bit about the pilgrims and the so-called Indians gets a lot of Native Americans in a tizzy. But manifest destiny aside, that (largely mythological) story is all about the white people and the brown people setting aside their differences for one damn day and just enjoying the good food. Maybe I'm begging for a flame war here, but can't we just cast aside all the baggage that comes along with it and observe Thanksgiving as a holiday to celebrate what we have, and to soberly remember that somewhere in the world there's someone who has less?
-
How can setting aside a day for reflection and giving thanks be anything but positive?
-
In Soviet Canada, Christmas Decorations be up going the day after Remembrance Day!
-
Depends, you better give thanks the right way for the right things and say a prayer to an approved deity while you're at it or I'm going to get your ass.
(see, people can turn anything to shit)
(if you let 'em)
(I don't)
ALSO: cheers for saying it is a bitchin' holiday. CONCUR.
SMELLS! Canucky-a-land has enitirely too many dang holidays. It's like you people are happy or something.
Yes, there are plenty of grinches in the world. I try to ignore them. Best sign out of Facebook for the next 3 months.
-
the ruination of thanksgiving and atheism are the main reasons i'm a warrior on christmas. -or, i declare? war on christmas? --wait. hell with it. when there's a formal declaration of war on christmas, i'm john hancockin' that bitch
-
I am not a fan of retail businesses having Black Friday spill over into Thanksgiving proper. Not just for the retail workers who have to give up their holiday for the sake of retail profits, but also for what it says about us as a people. You can't take this one freaking day to be with your family and be thankful, you have to run out and buy bullshit at the mall? Come on.
I further despise the argument "Tough shit for the retail workers, they should be thankful they have jobs." Yes, those businesses should be allowed to exploit their workers however they please!
-
Yeah, I told Mom that I'm not shopping on Thanksgiving Day. We always do Black Friday but I won't go before midnight.
I tried to convince her that she shouldn't either, but she was like, "But Wal-Mart has such good deals!" I said I'd rather spend a little more money than force someone else to work on Thanksgiving, and she said, they're going to be working anyway, I may as well shop.
I said, maybe they'll be working this year, but if nobody goes out to shop, the stores won't make money and they won't open as early next year. But she insists that her staying home won't make a difference in the world. I told her, "That's what everyone else thinks, too." But she didn't get it, or didn't want to.
Sigh.
-
as a former walmart employee, i can testify that black-friday-starting-on-midnight-after-thanksgiving is considerably fuck*ng whacked. on that night i had to work seven to seven, rather than ten to seven. anyway, the joke is that i only did about 3 hours of actual work and the rest of the time was spent standing around with my thumb nestled gently in my bumhole.
-
Yeah, that's lame. My brother-in-law used to manage a Best Buy and he would always have to leave early on Thanksgiving night so that he could get some sleep before his 2AM - 2PM shift. (This was back when they didn't open 'til 4.)
My sister-in-law is a labor-and-delivery nurse, and she has to work the day of Thanksgiving or Christmas just about every year. But that makes sense, and it's necessary, and she gets holiday pay and stuff. And there's a rule at her hospital that if you work Thanksgiving Day, you don't have to work Christmas Day the same year. So she volunteers to work Thanksgiving on even-numbered years, because those are the years that side of the family gets together for Christmas.
But again, that makes sense. Because women don't stop having babies just because it's a national holiday.
Everyone else can lay off the shopping for 24 gorram hours, if you ask me.
-
My girlfriend decided to dress up like an elf and make peanut butter pot cookies. She did not tell me the cookies were pot cookies. I approve of her christmas spirit, but if she tricks me into getting high again, we're going to have a talk.
-
stoner pixie dream elf
-
Hey, we're starting to get Black Friday deals up here too now, but since our Thanksgiving is in October there is no scuzzy spill over, just dealz.
Also for no reason thinking of thanksgiving made me think of this (http://www.homestarrunner.com/brainkriegween.html).
-
Also for no reason thinking of thanksgiving made me think of this (http://www.homestarrunner.com/brainkriegween.html).
Wow, that is amazing. I was sure I had seen everything that Homestar Runner had to offer, but I have never seen that before. And it was set in the Teen Girl Squad world which I love.
This seem appropriate for this thread.
(http://i.pikstra.com/byG/PnXOyWc.jpg)
-
I often forget that American Thanksgiving is the day where a lot my aboriginal friends post angry things on Facebook. I get the anger, but the sense of down-your-nose superiority kind of rubs me the wrong way.
-
A not insignificant and ever-increasing percentage of my fellow white Canadian facebook friends feel the need to annually remind one another that Murrica's turkey day is a 'literal celebration of genocide'. I guess we northern folk enjoy our heaping plate of anti-American smug self-righteousness with a side of historical oversimplification.
-
Delicious!
So I guess now I have to stop complaining about the Christmas music being too early.
-
Nawww the all-too-early introduction of seasonal jams is an honestly really grating thing. I love the Christmas season more than many, but fuck if it's a time of year where the simple act of 'going to the store' has the power to ruin a dude's happy mental state so quickly and effectively.
During my brief stint at a now-defunct retail chain, I think I did some serious damage to the part of my brain responsible for auditory processing by working at a checkout directly underneath of a speaker that seemed mysteriously louder than the others.
To this day, during life's moments of rare sensory respite, I'll hear ghostly echoes of the young Michael Jackson's terrible spoken-word vamping in "I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Clause". Shit's like the afterimage burnt into the plasma screen of your friend who probably plays too much Fallout or whatever.
This Christmas season I will be practicing good mental hygiene by putting my ears through a 30 minute high-volume white noise 'bath' each time I return from a centre of commerce.
-
I used to think it would be great to spend December in a Muslim country so I wouldn't have to hear crap popular Christmas music, but now it would practically have to be all of November too. I think today is like the deadline, though. It's futile to complain that the weekend after Thanksgiving is too soon for Christmas music.
I actually really like traditional Christmas carols, because I used to be a choral singer. But of course they don't play those because they're religious. I wonder if it would help to spend December in an extremely Christian country - maybe at least the music would be better? Ah well, but either way I'm not going anywhere so the only alternative is to try to do as little shopping as possible.
-
Amazon and such should use this as a selling point. SHOP ONLINE - NO CHRISTMAS MUSIC.
-
—Leading us to wonder:
If things ~1700CE had turned out differently, would the the malls of resultant Puritan theocratic America have better winter tunes?
Vague memories from an American studies class I took one, when interpreted along a non-Euclidean speculative tangent, lead me to conclude that Christmas wouldn't exist at all! However, the monthlong 'THANK THE LORD FOR THE TOTALLY SUCCESSFUL TWO HUNDRED-YEAR WITCH GENOCIDE' festival arising in its stead would probably be more annoying than having to hear Kenny G's "Miracles" album on tinny loudspeakers at Sam's Club for a month and a half.
And delete that most recent reply, Wombat! Amazon's got algorithms that can detect features requests and ensure that the exact opposite occurs!
-
Amazon and such should use this as a selling point. SHOP ONLINE - NO CHRISTMAS MUSIC.
It occurred to me that the expansion of Black Friday to now include Thursday as well is probably driven by online shopping. The brick and mortar stores can't afford to leave the public alone for even one day because they are not going to stop shopping they are just going to take their business elsewhere (online). I haven't heard this line of thought expressed anywhere else.
-
I don't know where I read this-maybe up further in this thread-but I read it may be because thanksgiving was as late as it can possibly be this year?
-
I've heard that too.