The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: ianmalcolm2 on December 03, 2013, 02:12:54 pm

Title: Cooder
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 03, 2013, 02:12:54 pm
So I've recently burned out on the niche-y internet only 'electronic music' that's sustained me for years. Sob sob me. Yet the quest for real adult-style jams that I can actually enjoy was proving tricky.

But while nursing a brew in JazzGuys recently and being a sadsack, the bartender put on Ry Cooder's Chicken Skin Music (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nYo3byPgC5o&list=ALBTKoXRg38BDVbeWY_7Wq7M-e8zr5gwgl). I was hooked. I've got the discography now, and it's great stuff. While guys in the office have been receptive, nobody's been able to guide me further in this ill-advised direction.

If any of you bums are into old country/gospel/drinkin' music, would you point a man to a music?
Title: Re: Cooder
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 03, 2013, 02:58:22 pm
I am having a straight-faced sincerity, if this is your concern
Title: Re: Cooder
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2013, 03:28:22 pm
You could start with the people that Ry Cooder actually worked with.  Y'know, like Taj Mahal or Lowell George.  Or Captain Beefheart.
Title: Re: Cooder
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 03, 2013, 03:32:40 pm
Thanks! Captain Beefheart ain't quite my speed, but I'm mining the Lowell vein now, and it's proving fun. Super-syncopated guitar slides are dreamy.
Title: Re: Cooder
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2013, 04:18:50 pm
OK then, Jaysus...

Syncopated you say?  Merle Travis it is. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltQnxo31Sl0)

A different Merle. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuc4nfJByc)

Marty Robbins. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHRgisdbeY)

The ol' possum. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubKUP8c0FHE)

Buck? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOpgL4mqEis)

Roy? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxA4FWF197o)

String? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgjzlvvD_7s)

Grandpa? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgjzlvvD_7s)

Flatt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdAcNSObkcQ) and Scruggs? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXlV34wXsZI)

Bill? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn2e4Dhod7M)

Bob? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxzxH6wIPCY)

Hank? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn2e4Dhod7M)

Red? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bi_kRv0dOk)

Jerry? (and Chet) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE)

That oughta get you started.
Title: Re: Cooder
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 03, 2013, 04:21:49 pm
Soon as I can, you're getting a miniature Snapple beverage-co. product.

Title: Re: Cooder
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2013, 04:39:17 pm
But wait, there's more!

Townes (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SjwO17gsqU)

A different Jerry... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDWRZEd3Ouc)

Which leads you here... (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAETejrWXhM)

...dare we go here? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAETejrWXhM)

Gram (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJZ3SAmkQEY)

NRPS (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyPYM5uUViI)

Willin' (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrCMlSWlDX8)

These guys. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUPbIbHUem0&list=PLE31AAD9114F343C4)
Title: Re: Cooder
Post by: AugustWest on December 03, 2013, 06:10:11 pm

AW - Where do you stand on Jerry Jeff Walker? I always wanted to not find him annoying.

I really don't know his body of work.
Title: Re: Cooder
Post by: pmcd9 on December 03, 2013, 07:28:31 pm
OK then, Jaysus...

Syncopated you say?  Merle Travis it is. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltQnxo31Sl0)

A different Merle. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKuc4nfJByc)

Marty Robbins. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIHRgisdbeY)

The ol' possum. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubKUP8c0FHE)

Buck? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fOpgL4mqEis)

Roy? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxA4FWF197o)

String? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgjzlvvD_7s)

Grandpa? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgjzlvvD_7s)

Flatt (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kdAcNSObkcQ) and Scruggs? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXlV34wXsZI)

Bill? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn2e4Dhod7M)

Bob? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxzxH6wIPCY)

Hank? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn2e4Dhod7M)

Red? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9bi_kRv0dOk)

Jerry? (and Chet) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ni8KBhnebwE)

That oughta get you started.


I was just gonna say open up the great American Songbook and spend the rest of your life discovering the infinite varieties of flavor contained there. But this is a good place to start.
Title: Re: Cooder
Post by: theinevitable on December 04, 2013, 03:56:07 am
I had to look that up, and I have heard of very few of these guys or songs. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_American_Songbook)
Title: Re: Cooder
Post by: pmcd9 on December 04, 2013, 02:54:05 pm
I had to look that up, and I have heard of very few of these guys or songs. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_American_Songbook)

That's not really what I meant. I didn't realize the term Great American Songbook could only referred to those Tin Pan Alley guys. I meant more along the lines of what August posted. Start with Ry Cooder and work your way backwards to Steven Foster. Although you could do worse than getting lost in Tin Pan Alley.