The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: ianmalcolm2 on December 04, 2013, 07:23:51 pm

Title: green tomatoes
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 04, 2013, 07:23:51 pm
Circumstances have dealt me at least 5 kilos of these things. I'm not a huge tomato guy, nor am I inclined to trust star-ratings on cooking websites, so do any of the culinarians among you have tricks for getting rid of green tomatoes?

Also, CSA cold has a peter in its mouth this year. I just wanted parsnips, dammit.
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: AugustWest on December 04, 2013, 07:30:36 pm
My grandmother used to make "Green Tomato Catsup" which was ground up green tomatoes made into a sort of tart relish.  She used an old cast iron grinder that you bolted to the side of a table and I can remember cranking that mother til my arms hurt.  It was good stuff, I wish I had some now.
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 04, 2013, 07:48:58 pm
This looks pretty good! A cursory google search has revealed that green catsup (ketchup?) is the same as Québecois chow-chow, which I didn't even know was made with green tomatoes.

At any rate, it's a world of improvement from the green ketchup Heinz was making a couple years ago. That stuff was just terrifying.
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: pmcd9 on December 04, 2013, 08:13:38 pm
I'll be happy to take any unwanted tomatoes, green or otherwise.
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: jaydub on December 04, 2013, 08:49:43 pm
I'm calling bullshit on any tomatoes that can make the trip from Canada to Texas intact.
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 04, 2013, 08:52:51 pm
And yet, something akin to the reverse journey happens often enough that I can get 'fresh' red fellas at the store in February.
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: jaydub on December 04, 2013, 09:22:32 pm
Greenhouses?
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 04, 2013, 09:39:48 pm
Don't you notice fruit and veggies from Spanish speaking countries comes here with English and French written on it for the bros in Quebec?
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: pmcd9 on December 04, 2013, 09:52:51 pm
I'm calling bullshit on any tomatoes that can make the trip from Canada to Texas intact.

Me too, but still it's a nice thought.
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 04, 2013, 10:03:30 pm
And yet, something akin to the reverse journey happens often enough that I can get 'fresh' red fellas at the store in February.

These sorts of tomatoes are bred precisely for their ability to ship well. Their actual flavor is a secondary concern at best.
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 04, 2013, 10:22:52 pm
I probably should have scare-quoted 'fresh'.
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 04, 2013, 10:59:06 pm
A former co-worker of mine was raised in the dankest depths of Tennessee, and the fried okra she prepared once for a thing is still in the top-ten foods I've ever consumed.

Maybe making some kinda buttermilk batter and frying up tomatoes and okra is in the future.

And, beyond the obvious deal with frying, is there anything particularly 'bad for ya' about frying tomatoes?
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: jaydub on December 05, 2013, 12:01:21 am
Cooked tomatoes contain lycopene, which is good for the prostate somehow.  So FGT are health food, right?
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 05, 2013, 12:06:36 am
I will consider jaydub a doctor if it means I get to eat delicious things.

A foremost doctor of doctorology, spoutin' double-blind truths and doctorologisms. If that's what it takes.
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 05, 2013, 01:04:14 am
Ah, I had just wondered if there was anything specifically nasty about fried tomatoes in comparison to other fried nasties.

Yeah, I'm salivatin' too. But I have the advantage of knowing what I'll make for breakfast on my day off tomorrow. Thanks all.
Title: Re: green tomatoes
Post by: pmcd9 on December 05, 2013, 01:19:57 am
Tomatoes are God's greatest achievement in the world of foodstuffs.