The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on December 15, 2013, 09:36:14 am

Title: Krampus
Post by: pmcd9 on December 15, 2013, 09:36:14 am
Seems to be popular with anti Christmas crowd. He's kinda come out of nowhere in the last 5 years or less. I know he's been around forever and blah blah blah, but... It's really become a thing these days. I liked it at first when I saw it a couple of years ago. An interesting alternative, but now that it's gotten so big so fast It has made me suspicious.
Title: Re: Krampus
Post by: greenkoolayd on December 16, 2013, 12:09:15 am
since santa doesnt visit poor kids whose parents cant afford to buy gifts, does that mean that krampus doesnt visit kids whose parents dont punish them?
Title: Re: Krampus
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 16, 2013, 02:43:04 pm
I prefer Der Kinderlumper (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DNUyDHGoOM).
Title: Re: Krampus
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 16, 2013, 05:36:33 pm
I only know about krampus from when dwight schrute portrayed him on the office. I didn't know it existed outside of that. Until today, that is.
Title: Re: Krampus
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 17, 2013, 04:24:31 am
On the topic of Yuletide dudes from other times and places:

A local government official in my city recently got in a lot of shit for having his picture taken with a dude in 'blackface.' His defence (and a semi-valid one, I think) was that he was in the Netherlands posing with Black Pete (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zwarte_Piet), Saint Nick's cute n' cuddly Moorish slave!

To be fair to all cultures that celebrate it, though, Christmas is just damn weird.
Title: Re: Krampus
Post by: theinevitable on December 17, 2013, 04:48:42 am
It's always weird how Americans don't know how to deal with racism in other cultures. It's like "wait, but in this culture, it's normal to do this racist thing. So if I don't do it, am I disrespecting their culture?" No, just follow the normal rules of morality and you will be fine.
Title: Re: Krampus
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 17, 2013, 07:32:27 am
It's always weird how Americans don't know how to deal with racism in other cultures. It's like "wait, but in this culture, it's normal to do this racist thing. So if I don't do it, am I disrespecting their culture?" No, just follow the normal rules of morality and you will be fine.

word
Title: Re: Krampus
Post by: wombat on December 17, 2013, 01:44:07 pm
We should put this here for anyone who came in late.
http://yoisthisracist.com/ (http://yoisthisracist.com/)

I don't know anything about Krampus except that my friends at Archie McPhee are into it. This looks like it was fun:
http://geyserofawesome.com/post/69981491067/the-2013-krampusfest-previously-featured-here-is (http://geyserofawesome.com/post/69981491067/the-2013-krampusfest-previously-featured-here-is)