The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Agingbuffoon on December 24, 2013, 03:48:54 am

Title: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: Agingbuffoon on December 24, 2013, 03:48:54 am
I'm waiting for a strip or blog post where Roast Beef talks about the "Five Basic Places Of Brooms" which allows him to immediately find necessary things to clean up a spill in a stranger's house.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 24, 2013, 03:58:40 am
I don't believe you. You don't wanna see a strip about that. You're just showing us 'Some Words You Have Put Together In An Order.'

And they do sound nice together, but all five would be variations on 'broom closet,' so I dunno if this rumination has legs.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: pmcd9 on December 24, 2013, 04:09:32 am
Dang Malcolm, that was a pretty high quality smackdown.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 24, 2013, 04:29:32 am
Just sayin, man. 

I like arranging words in pleasing formations too, but they sometimes lead me to 'dilemmas.'
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: AugustWest on December 24, 2013, 05:00:53 am
Let's make the new guys fight.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: Choop on December 24, 2013, 06:17:01 am
I don't know about you guys, but personally, for me, i'd like to se a strip about "The Five Basic Places of Brooms" starrintg Raost Befe. I think I mite learn a lot from a strip about Five Basic Places, especially as they relate to Brooms. Juts think ab ut the shenhanhighans Raist Befe, Lei Bot, and Tedoor might find themslevles up to in a situation about Brooms.




this post brought to you by spam
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: Agingbuffoon on December 24, 2013, 06:17:47 am
Let's make the new guys fight.

No thank you.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: wombat on December 24, 2013, 01:49:51 pm
I want to see a strip, period. I'm not picky.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 24, 2013, 02:10:19 pm
Raist Befe, Lei Bot, and Tedoor might find themslevles up to in a situation about Brooms

This is like Mexican Magic Realism Achewood right here. And I think "Lei Bot" has great potential as a character.

Oh wait, I don't think that, I'm just writing stuff.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: AugustWest on December 24, 2013, 02:12:06 pm
I understand Delta has started using a Lei Bot in order to cut costs because actual Hawaiian maidens were getting too pricey.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 24, 2013, 02:28:04 pm
1. Leaning in a corner of the kitchen.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: Choop on December 24, 2013, 03:11:31 pm
2. Behind the door in the guest bathroom
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 24, 2013, 03:15:10 pm
3. Broom Closet.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: AugustWest on December 24, 2013, 03:54:09 pm
4.  Between a witch's legs.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: dejavroom on December 24, 2013, 04:19:17 pm
5. In a System.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 24, 2013, 04:25:09 pm
^ dude, you just keep getting all the cans.

While Broom was hilariously good fun to read, I got way more crazy about Infinite Jest. That shit was just masterful, and rewarded obsession.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: dejavroom on December 26, 2013, 02:03:24 am
Man, yeah. Big up for stoner writers, always. I didn't read Broom, but will definitely check it out soon. I concur about Infinite Jest, that shit was big for me and for a close group of friends, it was really important at that particular juncture. We couldn't stop gabbing about it. And his essays, I love all of his essays (Red Son is a continuous source of awe). Bummer for the guy, right. Every piece I read about him is just heartbreaking. Reads like a horror story, dude diagnoses disease, disease kills him. (Now that's fuck*ng heavy for Christmas).
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: AugustWest on December 26, 2013, 03:14:52 am
I'm about 2/3's of the way through IJ.  It's good, and I'm enjoying it, but it's not changing my life or anything.  Am I missing something?
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: theinevitable on December 26, 2013, 04:06:12 am
Funny, I am attempting to read IJ and my thought was "I know immediately that déjà loves this."

I do not love it. Certain moments and phrases have definitely grabbed me.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 26, 2013, 04:12:16 am
I think, like Deja, I just read it at a point in my life where it really hit me in the gut and stuck with me. Any time I reread it, I'm immediately shoved back into a really specific and nostalgic adolescent headspace, so it's tricky for me to look at the book objectively. When it comes down to it, though, it really is just a fun puzzle-y read, like Gravity's Rainbow or something.

People who know that I like IJ, though, almost unfailing suggest I read 'House of Leaves.' I tried, and honestly just hated the shit out of it. Wallace is at least, for the most part, mockingly pretentious in a fun way. HOL, on the other hand, just felt some some shit I would've slogged through in high school while being told to look for 'symbols'.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: dejavroom on December 26, 2013, 01:41:50 pm
August: I admit that the greater part of the impact IJ had on me was on the technical level, which is something unusual for me (usually I'm more concerned with depth than with style -- one of my favorite writers is Dostoyevsky, whose technical side is nothing to write home about). Wallace's voice was something new to me, the at once removed and at the same time obsessively detailed way of bringing focus to the inner workings of situations, relationships, phenomena etc. It made me think of those books with exploded views of engines and structures, the feeling that he was exposing things to you with unmatched detail and clarity.

Of course what he was exposing was really the human equivalent of those engine diagrams: people that behaved and performed adequately outwardly, but who were empty and/or not animated by human life on the inside, to the point of not even being human anymore (most of the times he is showing you people to whom the pleasure principle has become the dominant factor in ther lives, little rats perpetually hitting the reward button).

To me IJ's psychological diagnostic of America is still relevant, and the stakes now are even higher, so there's that for you to look for, although Wallace unfortunately shied away from trying to offer a way out, which is why the book ended up disappointing me towards the resolution (even if still being technically brilliant to the end).

Anyway, Wallace was a stoner misfit who wore a bandana, so to this day when people ask me I say it's a "grunge book" (plus humor, which grunge sorely lacked). Now excuse while I blast Alice In Chains' "Godsmack".

(Bonus track: American literature crammed in 27 seconds: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_35sCcn66Hw (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_35sCcn66Hw))
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: pmcd9 on December 28, 2013, 07:52:00 pm
There's no new strip today. Let's talk about broom closets instead.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: AugustWest on December 29, 2013, 01:46:05 am
I wish we had a good broom closet.  We could really use a convenient space for storing cleaning equipment in my house.  It just clutters up the mud/laundry room now.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: pmcd9 on December 29, 2013, 01:57:55 am
I don't have a mudroom. I suppose I could keep the broom on the breezeway, but no, I put it in a corner of the kitchen.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: wombat on December 29, 2013, 03:55:10 am
I don't know what a mudroom is, but it sounds awesome and now I want one.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 29, 2013, 04:03:49 am
yeah seriously: where do you people live where 'mudrooms' and 'breezeways' are part of your homes?

I guess the weird Atlantic Canadian place to keep a broom would be the 'dooryard,' which is just a fancy term for entry way.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: AugustWest on December 29, 2013, 04:29:22 am
I dunno what you call it.  It's a back door entryway with a washer/dryer and a chest freezer.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 29, 2013, 12:01:35 pm
My parents have one of those, but it is mainly a pantry (and a coat closet).  They have like an outside laundry room/broomcloset off the other side of the kitchen.

The house I grew up in is just one big, non-halled circle?  It is older than the state it is in, and like, that is weird in that state (oklahoma).
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: wombat on December 29, 2013, 02:58:33 pm
That sounds really interesting. Do you have any photos? Is it some kind of landmark?
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: jaydub on December 29, 2013, 06:56:25 pm
Houses in Lake Tahoe & Truckee (Sierra Nevada mountain ski areas) have mudrooms.  You change from your muddy/snowy outside boots into something more suited for indoors there.  Also, parka hanging, snowshoe storage, gloves and the like.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 29, 2013, 10:23:21 pm
That sounds really interesting. Do you have any photos? Is it some kind of landmark?

I do but only the outside unfortunately.

(Also I have never put a picture on the Internet and only vaguely know how)

Also, Oklahoma has only been a state since 1907 or something.  Anybody on the east coast walks by older things daily.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: Choop on December 29, 2013, 10:38:15 pm
click http://www.imgur.com/ (http://www.imgur.com/) and drag and drop a photo. then click the button that means "yes i want this picture on the internet."

you will get links to your new internet picture.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: wombat on December 30, 2013, 12:03:20 am
Also, Oklahoma has only been a state since 1907 or something.  Anybody on the east coast walks by older things daily.

But not such round things.
Title: Re: The Five Basic Places of Brooms
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 31, 2013, 06:42:45 am
Oh, I said it wrong, I guess.  It wasn't round, it was just a circle in that the house was a big circle inside made of rectangles?  So it looked like a rectangle outside.