The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Choop on December 25, 2013, 05:01:46 am

Title: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: Choop on December 25, 2013, 05:01:46 am
I want to wish everyone at touamb a happy winter. I don't celebrate holidays, but I hope that if you have one it's happy. Today's been lovely. I just wish loveliness for you. Happy christmas or whatever.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: Ben-San on December 25, 2013, 02:59:05 pm
You guys have a good time with your thing. I got some nice beef jerky off a Kickstarter I funded so I'm feeling pretty okay.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on December 25, 2013, 03:51:56 pm
Merry Christmas. Ate a croissant and got some sweaters. Feelin' a-ok. Hope y'all have nice days, whatever you're doin.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 25, 2013, 06:29:02 pm
"Open this. Can I open this?" The non-stop opening and no savoring. The youngest, with no filter, expressing dissatisfaction with gifts, and the dismay that brings. The endless hijacking of conversations with stories about people I don't know or care about, or reminiscing about how you had something like that gift once and what you did with it. God fuck*ng dammit this is why I drink on Christmas.

At least I get to cook a ham later.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: wombat on December 25, 2013, 06:42:44 pm
Dim sum and chocolate pudding pie. I'm good.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: theinevitable on December 25, 2013, 07:33:12 pm
I can't stop thinking that my family should put me in charge of Christmas. I would make all the right decisions. Number one rule of Christmas club is that you can't stress about Christmas club. We are going to eat delicious food that isn't stressful to make. We are going to exchange a small number of smaller presents. We will decorate cookies, and drink wine, and watch a silly movie. Hugs. Love. No bickering. Everyone helps with cooking and cleaning.

It could be good, I swear. Even just toning down food and present expectations would make everyone so much more relaxed.

Actually, maybe my mom cooks complicated stuff to avoid the rest of us. In that case I'll make an exception.

The more I interact with my extended family, and other families and people, the more amazed I am at how great my parents are. Glad I have nice parents who aren't jerks. I don't like the jerks so much these days.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 25, 2013, 09:14:39 pm
Yeah, handling expectations is the thing about Christmas, isn't it? I am never worried as to whether Thanksgiving or the Fourth of July will meet expectations. There will be turkey and stuffing, or baseball and grilled meat and fireworks, and it'll all be cool and everyone will have a good time. But Christmas, ye gods the expectation and trying to meet them.

I am better than I was a few hours ago. I was ready to just leave the fuck*ng house for a while there. Scotch helps. And the ham is in the oven.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: KeithHernandez on December 25, 2013, 10:42:22 pm
I just woke up.  The girl I like is out of town.  A friend is coming over to make us food.  I am going to get so high as soon as he comes, then go buy myself a pack if smokes as my present to myself (usually I hand roll).  Pretty stoked I guess?  Maybe finish some cleaning.

 The gym is closed also, so fuck Christmas, at least a little.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: miles on December 25, 2013, 11:14:15 pm
You guys have a good time with your thing. I got some nice beef jerky off a Kickstarter I funded so I'm feeling pretty okay.

Man, the most useful thing I've received in return for funding a kickstarter campaign is a t-shirt. I didn't know you could feed yourself.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: Ben-San on December 25, 2013, 11:28:21 pm
Man, the most useful thing I've received in return for funding a kickstarter campaign is a t-shirt. I didn't know you could feed yourself.

The trick to getting beef jerky off Kickstarter is to fund beef jerky makers.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 26, 2013, 01:49:39 am
As a professional adult I can buy mostly whatever crap I need or want. My family is aware of this and decided all I needed was more cat toys (I don't), some amazon cards, and a blender seen here:
(https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1532154_587086272785_81350296_n.jpg)
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: dejavroom on December 26, 2013, 01:52:20 am
Is there a beef jerky revival going on up there, with dudes bringing in all sort of crazy techniques? Down here we're experiencing this phenomenon with beer, everyone seems to be brewing these days.

I had mucho lunch with my mother. It was so good, I wish there was more space in me for itttt. Killed part of the time watching a big bang theory marathon (first time actually watched it) and just wanted to punch everyone inside the TV.

Oh, and Merry Christmas, figments! That we keep doing our thing if only for the look on their faces, is my wish for all of us.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: littlefallsmets on December 26, 2013, 01:52:41 am
Ah, the blender that doubles as a sex toy.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: Ben-San on December 26, 2013, 02:06:29 am
Is there a beef jerky revival going on up there, with dudes bringing in all sort of crazy techniques? Down here we're experiencing this phenomenon with beer, everyone seems to be brewing these days.

I don't know if it's a revival but I got into artisan beef jerky this year - partly doctor's advice to cut down on sweet snacks and partly just trying to do fewer but better-quality snacks on the whole. There've been at least a few makers who've been doing Kickstarters for new flavors. This particular Kickstarter was for Epic Sriracha Jerky (no points for guessing their signature product) to produce tabasco, wasabi, green curry and orange flavors, with a sampler of the new flavors as a reward. I haven't tried the orange yet but the tabasco and green curry are both great, the wasabi is a letdown though.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on December 26, 2013, 02:16:40 am
Ah, the blender that doubles as a sex toy.

Just make damn sure to keep the lid on.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: wombat on December 26, 2013, 02:36:12 am
Oh, and Merry Christmas, figments! That we keep doing our thing if only for the look on their faces, is my wish for all of us.

I second this.

And kudos to Ben-San for getting off to an inspiring start. If you had only seen the look on my face when I discovered that beef jerky Kickstarters are a real thing (except this one (http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/17/technology/kickstarter-scam-kobe-jerky/).)
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: Ben-San on December 26, 2013, 02:51:02 am
I second this.

And kudos to Ben-San for getting off to an inspiring start. If you had only seen the look on my face when I discovered that beef jerky Kickstarters are a real thing (except this one (http://money.cnn.com/2013/06/17/technology/kickstarter-scam-kobe-jerky/).)

Huh, I saw that one but didn't back. Partly because Kobe beef jerky seems like such a self-evidently terrible idea - what makes wagyu good and what makes jerky good are kind of opposite.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: AugustWest on December 26, 2013, 03:12:21 am
Oddest Christmas ever around here.

Daughters were out of the country with my parents (cruising down the Rhine.)  They were due back last night (Christmas Eve) but flight delays left them all stranded in Detroit.  So just me and the Mrs. for Christmas Eve and most of Christmas day. 

So we pick everybody up at the airport at around 2:30 and head to my brother, who is supposed to be putting on dinner.  But we get there only to discover that we had miscommunicated and he is now committed to take his food to his girlfriend's house to help feed her family.  Which is fine.  We spend about 20 minutes opening presents there, then on to my parents' condo to drop off their luggage and then proceed to a nearby favorite Chinese restaurant.  Nobody had Chinese Turkey. 

It was nice.  They were tired and stressed from the journey, but it was obvious that they had all had a good time and connected with each other on the trip.  We had some tasty Chinese food, dropped them back at their condo and headed home, finally opening presents at around 7 pm.  Mrs. West really liked the picture (http://ferdworks.photoshelter.com/#!/index/G0000GFC9R.DUo8w/4) I got her, so I got that goin' for me.

Merry Christmas, y'all.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: Choop on December 26, 2013, 03:51:53 am
Is there a beef jerky revival going on up there, with dudes bringing in all sort of crazy techniques? Down here we're experiencing this phenomenon with beer, everyone seems to be brewing these days.

the heck you need jerky for you got charqui next door criminy
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: Choop on December 26, 2013, 03:55:50 am
HEY PAUL MARY CRIMMISS

you postin' all same time as me and such
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: pmcd9 on December 26, 2013, 04:10:00 am
Is there a beef jerky revival going on up there

When I read that it got me worried.

Then I read this

I got into artisan beef jerky this year

and I shuddered a little bit.

This particular Kickstarter was for Epic Sriracha Jerky (no points for guessing their signature product) to produce tabasco, wasabi, green curry and orange flavors, with a sampler of the new flavors as a reward.

Welp, so much for beef jerky.

I get my jerky from this place (http://www.flickr.com/photos/20698962@N00/2551598968/in/set-72157605408072964/). It's beef jerky flavored.

Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: Ben-San on December 26, 2013, 04:16:05 am
Welp, so much for beef jerky.

Oh, don't get me wrong, I love regular flavor beef jerky (mainly from Crazy hoss Jerky which I would link to if the filters didn't eat the link) and I prefer flavors that don't drown out the delicious concentrated dried beef taste. But these flavors complement it really well.
Title: Re: Happy christmas or whatever
Post by: jay-ell on December 29, 2013, 02:25:05 am
My family still treats me like a little kid even though I am almost 35, and nobody can make decisions about anything, which makes me want to pull my hair out. Also, a 97 year old woman called my husband by my dad's name, and now I feel like a creepy weirdo who married a carbon copy of her father.

On the plus side, my 20 year old cousin is enough of a person that he's fun to talk to now. So that's neat.