The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on December 27, 2013, 07:20:03 am
-
Happy New Year party people. Tell me about your parties, but first read this (http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/things-to-leave-behind-2014) and take it to heart.
-
"The year without a Namaste"
If only, if only.
-
"The year without a Namaste"
If only, if only.
Namaste, motherfucker. Namaste.
-
why can't a person enjoy an a capella competition without irony, why is irony required for that
how about we leave behind judgmental nonsense about peoples' taste how bout that huh
-
"The year without a Namaste"
Namaste is Arian Foster's touchdown move. He's the NFL equivalent of Sound and Motion, except that he's really good.
-
Cho-cha-cho-ronis.
As a 2013 thankfulness retrospective, can I just commend you people for not saying/overusing 'Chochacho' on this board? I'm on the facebook page, and the depths to which folks will sink just to insert Achewood quotables into every goddamn post makes my head hurt.
'Hey there chochacheronis I just such as got my such as dang ol teeth pulled but I'm from such as circumstances and can't afford such as insurance! Dang!"
At least when Beef garbles his speech with colloquial phrasing, it does not normally result in an syntactic utter brainteaser.
-
Happy New Year party people. Tell me about your parties, but first read this (http://www.esquire.com/blogs/culture/things-to-leave-behind-2014) and take it to heart.
About half of those are funny and/or a good idea (20, yes please), and then the other half are either not funny or don't make any sense to me at all. I guess some of them are things These Kids Today say that I am out of the loop about (15)?
-
I don't know what most of those are talking about.
"Acapella" is the worst thing on earth. I put it in quotes because I am referring to the whole schtick. People singing without instruments are fine. What I don't like is the kind where they pretend to be instruments.
Unless it is Gospel. that stuff rules.
2013 was a fantastic year that grew out of a really awful year. This year I didn't "go anywhere" outwardly but I changed a lot personally. I look forward to the continuation of this trend in 2014, plus also being accepted to graduate school. Or not, and then doing something else.
I am really into the period that is going to occur starting in 2 weeks, where I am done with grad school apps but haven't heard back yet. I am going to work out, learn more about fixing bikes, read books, cook, hang out. Enjoy life and growth with no "big" goals.
-
I feel like the whole idea that kids have recently started 'liking things ironically' has been blown out of proportion. People have earnestly appreciated kitsch and camp for decades at least, and the fact that bad or outmoded cultural products can be enjoyed earnestly for their hilariousness seems lost on those who decry our culture's 'irony epidemic.'
-
2013 can go to hell. I literally went gray this year in my 20s. There's a pivotal moment in a man's life when he picks up a box of Just For Men and wonders if it is really Just For Him.
-
2013 can go to hell. I literally went gray this year in my 20s. There's a pivotal moment in a man's life when he picks up a box of Just For Men and wonders if it is really Just For Him.
Happened to me. I was grizzled by 25 and gray by 30. Now my beard is white but my mustache is hanging on to the red for a while longer.
I wouldn't sweat it much. It gives you gravitas. As to the hairdye question, don't wear a cape.
-
Yeah, 2013 sucked a pipe. I don't have any money, I'm old, fat and I can't get laid. People keep dying. It's been a really shitty year.
-
Every time the idea of hair dye comes up, I think about how the roots would show in a week or so - and that just doesn't seem like a treadmill I want to be on.
-
One thing we won't have in 2014 is an original idea in Hollywood. A Cracked article alerts us to retreads of 4 old ideas. I will leave it as an exercise for the reader to identify the root stories.
Peter and the Starcatchers
Pan
Peter Pan Begins
Warriors of Oz
Dorothy Must Die
Emerald City
Dorothy
Tarzan
Tarzan 3D
Hercules
Hercules: The Legend Begins
With all the starving scriptwrights like LFM floating around LA, you'd think some ideas could just be left in the archives.
-
Okay all you life having mother fuckers. Don't leave me alone all day and night with only Facebook to keep me company.
-
I don't understand how this one particular roommate of mine can want to have big parties, and also be the kind of person who throws temper tantrums about people not leaving when he wants them to. You gotta ride the wave dude.
-
I was afraid to say this before it really ended in case I got hit by a truck coming back from dinner, but 2013 was not one of those years where I said "fuck you good riddance." It got off to a very bad start but by the end I was back on track for what I want to accomplish.
Of course, from a bad start it's easier to go up.... now we'll see if I'm just set up for disappointment this year.
-
I got some flared-up wisdom teeth pulled a few days ago, so I spent NYE eating soft foods on a lot of pain medication. 2013 was also a pretty crud year in a lot of respects, so I'm excited to see it go, and hoping to make 2014 something different.
-
hey my 2013 was a pretty damn good year. i hope your 2014 is at least as good as my 2013 was. and i hope my 2014 is even better still.
-
2013 started off with such potential and then just slowly petered out into a mess of things that I tried to start where other people dropped the ball.
Jobs, relationships, creative projects, blah.
2014 started with my ma yelling at me not to go to the poetry open mic tomorrow because it's only encouraging me to not go to grad school for no good reason.
No "happy new year" no "oh your awful cold is sounding a little better" just starting the fuck right in.
I hate living like a fuck*ng child, I hate being stuck in this fuck*ng town, I hate having no money, I hate having no day job, I hate having no lady in my life.
The end of 2013 was fuck*ng awful on a scale of my own personal tolerances and experiences (I realize that in reference to others' lives I'm blessed, we only work off our own contexts emotionally, though) and 2014 started appropriately.
Being lectured like a teenager while sick as a dog.
Lovely.
fuck*ng lovely.
Happy New Year!
-
I got black-eyed peas cookin' on the stove!
-
Last year was pretty good. I achieved a lot of personal goals, including a professional one that I've been chasing for years. I was largely responsible for guiding a group of young lacrosse players to a season record they can be proud of. Most of them are returning this year, so in addition to winning, they had a good time. Both my kids remain healthy and are growing each day both mentally and physically. My daughter has gotten the message that service to others feels pretty good and is worth doing for its own sake.
A solid year - one I hope represents the meat & potatoes of my life. There is a lot of room for improvement. I'm dealing with the things I can control, and trying not to sweat the stuff outside of my control. If I can reduce the amount of time I spend pondering the imponderables I think my personal happiness will be better this year.
-
LFM you have my permission to feel not particularly blessed about your situation. Also unless your mother is offering to pay in full for you to go to grad school, tell her I said she can shut the fuck up.
-
2013 was fairly decent. It was the first year in which I had an established, for real, job that I can be proud of, and I got two sweet gigs (James Joyce and now Alice Munro). Any year in which a 36 year-old man finally gets to live by himself is a good year. There was a long patch of excruciating Emotions concerning a young lady, but that was really my own stupid brain's fault, and I think I crawled out of it slightly better.
I'm just hoping 2014 doesn't make any sudden moves.
-
I didn't realize it as it was happening, but 2014 started with me forgetting to apply to the University of Illinois in Chicago. For some reason on my mental calendar I had the deadline wrong. It was yesterday. The only thing I am sad about here is that this means I won't be living in the Midwest. Chicago seems cool in its own way and I liked the idea of turning my feelings for that place on their ear. So now I will be bound for a coast.
At our party I talked to a very nice dude who is an architect, who is applying to urban planning programs as well. He told me I need to chill out, and that I am overestimating how talented/intelligent/experienced my competition are.
Then again, he is my competition. A guy a few years older than me with a relevant background and lots of relevant experience.
-
I'm just hoping 2014 doesn't make any sudden moves.
Probably the only thing we can be sure of is that it will. Maybe they won't all be bad ones.
-
He told me I need to chill out, and that I am overestimating how talented/intelligent/experienced my competition are.
I am positive this is true.
-
I am certain that I would be a great planner, and that I am smart and good enough that I should be accepted. What I am not confident in is that I have demonstrated that worth. I think a lot of my peers are much better than I am at selling themselves, and getting out there and doing actions. I am friends with a lot of people who are the type of people who apply to graduate school, and they are all much more invested in their fields than I am. Overachiever types. That is who I imagine my competition as. When I tell people where I went to undergrad (who have heard of it) they assume I am just an overachiever with some kind of "I'm never good enough" mentality. No. I am an underachiever who pulled off getting into a nice, expensive college.
The good news for me (and bad news for society) is that I have studied a lot of things which indicate that white guys with rich parents and degrees from fancy colleges get a lot of second chances in life.
-
I think a lot of my peers are much better than I am at selling themselves,
And unfortunately, that is important. But if you can learn other new things, you can learn to be good at this too, right?
-
I have studied a lot of things which indicate that white guys with rich parents and degrees from fancy colleges get a lot of second chances in life.
Hooray for you then.
-
I think a lot of my peers are much better than I am at selling themselves, and getting out there and doing actions.
And unfortunately, that is important. But if you can learn other new things, you can learn to be at this too, right?
This was the big lesson of 2013 for me. I'm a bit slow coming to it.