The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: wombat on January 10, 2014, 12:46:52 pm

Title: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: wombat on January 10, 2014, 12:46:52 pm
For me, that's how I experience apple pie.
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01102014 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=01102014)

Lots of thread titles in this one. things are looking up.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: wombat on January 10, 2014, 12:48:16 pm
What's the photo on his phone? I assume that's a reference I'm not getting.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: Jaded Tersk on January 10, 2014, 01:25:47 pm
Ian Curtis, lead miserablist for Joy Division.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 10, 2014, 01:59:38 pm
The roommates panel is the single best thing about this strip.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: Choop on January 10, 2014, 02:09:14 pm
this one, finally, feels like a return to form. there's a dash of surreal in this strip that's been missing for a long while - i don't know why it feels that way, i just looked back and there it is sprinkled throughout, but something about the roommates panel and the last one just makes this feel more like achewood than the strip has since its most recent revival.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: CortJstr on January 10, 2014, 02:17:07 pm
The only dude who's afraid to introduce a ladyfriend to Mr. Bear is a dude who's afraid that she'll like Cornelius more.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: dejavroom on January 10, 2014, 03:01:10 pm
During the 2000's I used to have Téodor's bedroom.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: colmore on January 10, 2014, 03:23:59 pm
I judge my life by how long I could theoretically go in a new relationship without my partner realizing I'm a total mess.

I think I'm at 2 or 3 weeks right now.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on January 10, 2014, 09:18:35 pm
The first strip to acknowledge that C. Bear is only badass within a closed roommate system, and is not a guy you would like a potential suitor to know you live with. I lived with such a type for a bit. It was a cockblock.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: colmore on January 11, 2014, 02:13:54 am
Think about it, if there's an "awesome" 65 year old alcoholic who hangs out with a bunch of pretty unaccountable 30-somes who also hang out with a serial killer and a guardian-less child, do you think the other silver-hairs really think he's the hot shit?

Like, think about the college guys who showed up to your high school parties.  How cool were they?
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: pmcd9 on January 11, 2014, 02:34:34 am
We are talking about Cornelius Bear, right? The man bear who won the bad ass games? The one who pulled a stripper, to the amazement of Ray? The one who owns a bar? This is the guy you are talking about being uncool?
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: colmore on January 11, 2014, 02:42:35 am
Oh I'd hang out with Cornelius at the drop of a hat.  I'd be a regular at his bar.  But I also hope that in my twilight years I'm not dating a stripper.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: wombat on January 11, 2014, 02:44:25 am
a closed roommate system,

An interesting and valuable concept.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: colmore on January 11, 2014, 02:48:21 am
The closed roommate system is basically every "scene" anywhere.  I used to hang out with my town's punks.  Everyone lived with everyone else at some point or another.  Weird social norms start to develop in that sort of milieu.  You don't realize it until you try to bring an outsider into your life.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: pmcd9 on January 11, 2014, 03:17:27 am
But I also hope that in my twilight years I'm not dating a stripper.

When you're his age you're gonna wish you were dating a stripper.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 11, 2014, 05:06:08 am
When you're his age you're gonna wish you were dating a stripper.

As someone who's done this a few times, when you're his age you're going to be sick and tired of the reality that is the drama and the multiple cats.

P.S.: Thread title should have been "I'm an unfunded hapless nuisance!"
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 11, 2014, 07:44:09 am
The reason why "I'm an unfunded public nuisance" and "911 ONLY NON-PAYMENT" aren't titles is because they've already been reserved as competition for my epitaph.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on January 12, 2014, 12:19:36 am
Whoa whoa folks what about Lyle's beautiful return to form here?

i have been honoring my shits lately. They have much honor.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: jaydub on January 12, 2014, 03:47:57 am
Are you squatting mindfully?
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on January 12, 2014, 07:02:23 pm
Such fulla mind the like of which never been seen
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: Agingbuffoon on January 12, 2014, 10:10:12 pm
I was so afraid that Onstadt would end this story line after last week. So glad he didn't take the easy way out.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: colmore on January 14, 2014, 01:28:44 pm
I'm surprised there's been not talk of Zeppelin on this thread.

My verdict: good but a bit overrated.  And they were kind of thieves, even Elvis credited his covers.  But still, I can't love the White Stripes as much as I do and entirely look down my nose at Zeppelin.  And "Communication Breakdown" provided a blueprint for all those 70s punk bands I like.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: pmcd9 on January 14, 2014, 01:46:56 pm
I'm surprised there's been not talk of Zeppelin on this thread.

I just considered the source of the comment. How could someone who wears a Ramones arm band possibly comprehend Led Zeppelin?
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: colmore on January 14, 2014, 01:58:44 pm
The Ramones were all about early Zep.  They said so in interviews.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: Choop on January 14, 2014, 02:15:54 pm
people can like a band that is very different from another band they also enjoy
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: pmcd9 on January 14, 2014, 02:51:18 pm
You guys are trolling me, right?

The Ramones were all about early Zep.  They said so in interviews.

Has the conventional wisdom been lost that in it's original form punk rock, with the Ramones at the vanguard, was a refutation of the bloated excesses of the then current rock scene of bands playing 20 minutes songs and half hour drum solos, Led Zeppelin being one of the worst offenders and definitely the most famous?

people can like a band that is very different from another band they also enjoy

Maybe I misread the strip, but I got the impression that Penny doesn't care too much for Led Zeppelin and she clearly loves the Ramones.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: colmore on January 14, 2014, 03:40:48 pm
Zeppelin I and II were pretty tight.  Those are probably the good parts she's talking about.  I also think that critics viewing punk as a (negative) reaction to 70s excess and what the actual musicians thought could be different things, especially if we're including all of the bands that in the late 70s were called punk but don't fit in too well with what the genre became in 80s.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: littlefallsmets on January 14, 2014, 06:15:54 pm
I dunno about the idea of the beginnings of new artistic movements growing out of grand refutations of previous movements, like, ever.

Ladies and dudes wanna entertain or they wanna make art or they wanna vent spleens and they do that and only later do college professors and assholes at "Rolling Stone" construct high-minded confections of hindsight.

Theorists love saying that kinda thing but I doubt that it was such a thing in the conscious minds of early punk rockers.

Garage rock was dudes wanting to make music without having much training at first, wanting to jump right in and figure it out as they went along, and punk was just a more urban permutation of that impulse, you know?

I kind of doubt that motherfuckers just wanting to go to a bar and scream out their frustrations with the three chords they'd figured out so far were working on thesis critiques about their actions. They wanted to get loud and get laid, you know?

Though, of course, never let it be forgotten that the Sex Pistols were molded together by a fashion designer in a manner surprisingly similar to how boy-bands are formed today.

Projecting purity of thought onto the past is always a dangerous dance.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: pmcd9 on January 14, 2014, 07:37:42 pm
It's like your saying the punk rock movement never happened. That their back to basics ethos was pure happenstance. That it's rise to popularity was in no way related to the state of popular music at the time. That kids picking up their instruments and forming bands never had to fight against the prevailing norms. That most of the so called bloated rock groups didn't fall by the wayside because the kids stopped buying their albums. And those that survived didn't change their sound drastically. None of that shit actually happened, it was just folderal invented by academics .

Hate to be a geezer, but I was a teenager during that era and I remember it. I lived it maaaaaan!  

Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: wombat on January 14, 2014, 07:42:32 pm
LFM I don't see how this is a complicated academic theory laid on top of reality, and I know a little bit about complicated academic theories laid on top of reality, you know? It's people going "this music sucks, we need to make better music" and then it's normal for the music they think is better to be as different as they can make if from the music that they think sucks. That just seems like the normal way human minds work.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: colmore on January 14, 2014, 09:31:57 pm
"Punk" has meant about at many things over the years as "Rhythm and Blues" has.

The earliest scenes that were called punk by the people that were there at the time (and not retrospectively), New York and Manchester, had a really diverse array of bands.  Classic punk immediately brings The Ramones, The Sex Pistols, The Clash, and The Dead Boys to mind, but it also had Patty Smith, Television, the Soft Boys, Joy Division, the Talking Heads, and others that don't fit the paradigm so neatly.  Punk was a reaction against the popular music of the late 70s, but that doesn't mean it was a total break.  And in my experience, musicians themselves have wider ranging tastes than their fans.  I bet if you were to take a poll of everyone whose band played CBGB's between 76-81 (to pick a kinda arbitrary range) and asked for opinions on Led Zeppelin, the results would be mixed.  I mean, before punk there wasn't much punk for the punk rockers to listen to.  Their record collections in 1975 had to have more than Iggy Pop and the Velvet Underground in them.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: pmcd9 on January 14, 2014, 10:01:08 pm
It seems like there is some logical fallacies going on here. Are we talking about bands that played at CBGB's in the 70s? I thought we were talking about Penny, who, based on the armband she wears, loves the Ramones, and who also, based on her disparaging statement, doesn't care too much for Led Zeppelin.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: colmore on January 15, 2014, 01:34:19 pm
We WERE talking about Penny, but then I started talking about what I wanted to talk about, duh.

There's no blanket statements to be made about what a 2014 punk will listen to.  I was once at a punk house show where after the bands quit playing and everyone was drunk, someone's 90s mix on their iPod got plugged into the PA and drunken dancing to "What if God Was One of Us" commenced.  And yes, you have to be heroically drunk to dance to that song.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on January 17, 2014, 02:15:44 am
i was actually at a 'good punk show' last night. I dunno if history was respected very much, but it was in a squat house basement with a band called 'asian dad black baby' and there were good saxophone solos.

that said, i have nothing to contribute
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: greenkoolayd on January 17, 2014, 05:28:01 am
i was actually at a 'good punk show' last night. I dunno if history was respected very much, but it was in a squat house basement with a band called 'asian dad black baby' and there were good saxophone solos.

that said, i have nothing to contribute

punx with saxaphone solo (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QPoBHX82uw)
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: jaydub on January 17, 2014, 05:49:24 am
Parents wouldn't spring for guitar lessons.
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: dejavroom on January 17, 2014, 11:41:54 am
It's people going "this music sucks, we need to make better music" and then it's normal for the music they think is better to be as different as they can make if from the music that they think sucks

+1
Title: Re: Like how we experience Led Zeppelin, or family - January 10 2014
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on January 17, 2014, 01:00:00 pm
That FEAR song is great. The intersection between punk laziness and free jazz sax squawks seems like a fertile musical vein to mine.