The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: pmcd9 on January 13, 2014, 01:40:08 pm
-
I saw this story (http://www.ryot.org/photos-this-man-hasnt-bathed-in-60-years/525941) a few days ago, as I'm sure many of you did. I didn't give it too much thought, but this morning, literally the first thing that crossed my mind when I woke up was that this story was bogus. Well I've looked it up and it appears to be on the level. Still I'm not convinced. There's something about it that just don't ring true. I think it's because every article I read, and I clicked on a few, all spin it into a morality tale. Oh, us silly westerners with our insistence on showers and fresh food. Here's a quote from the article I linked to "This man just goes to show that while our First World comforts are convenient, they’re certainly not necessary." Yes, of course, we should all definitely be eating rotting meat and smoking feces. Another states "After all maybe Amou Haji is showing us an alternative and uncongenial way of life to live and who’s to say who’s right and who’s wrong?" Me, I am.
What say you my Brain Trust?
-
You are not wrong.
-
This Man Hasn't Bathed In Sixty Years And Smokes Poop. You Won't Believe How Inspiring He Can Be!
-
Yeah this reeks of bullshit very strongly, especially in that if it were a first-world hobo people would probably be disgusted. It's only because the garbage he eats and the shit he smokes is ~AUTHENTIC~ that allows his story—presuming he even exists—to be spun into something people would find inspiring.
This man eats only chicken McNuggets and smokes cigarette butts and mutters to himself and appears to not always be entirely miserable and self-pitying, on the other hand, makes a poor story indeed.
-
Man, there was this homeless guy the other day. I had a few dollars so I gave it to him. He asked if I had a smoke, I was all sure, but it is a hand rolled. He took it but said something shitty about it. I thought about trying to get my money back but I didn't. Mainly stood there stoned and stunned for a few seconds and moved on.
-
You should have told him not to complain about his free entertainment.
-
Seriously, this is premier tobacco with filters I have to special order from Europe. Fuck that guy.
-
Way to be a dick to generous strangers, homeless dude.
-
Is he eating "rotten" porcupine, or some fermented meat thing that they eat in Iran? Like, one of my favorite foods is "rotten" cabbage, and I love drinking "rotten" wheat water.
...are we sure this guy wasn't just having fun by shocking the white lady from America with a made up story? If I learned one thing from anthropology classes, that happens a LOT. When you come in with a fancy camera asking questions people like to take you down a peg or two.
My experience at work is that homeless people are often dicks. Also, poor people in general. They generally seem to approach me as a barrier between them and the things they need, instead of as a guy who can maybe help them out.
-
the entirety of the website paul linked too is kind of a cesspit of poverty-glorification and other-country-worship
-
that ain't stopping about a million people on Facebook from lappin' it up.
-
Is he eating "rotten" porcupine, or some fermented meat thing that they eat in Iran? Like, one of my favorite foods is "rotten" cabbage, and I love drinking "rotten" wheat water.
Well, maybe, but on the other hand, it's hard to put a positive, "this one weird old Persian trick for a tiny belly" / "this Isfahan grandpa found out an anti-aging secret your dermatologist doesn't want you to know" spin on smoking fæces.
-
civet coffee
-
oh jesus christ inev
(http://www.reactiongifs.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif)