The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Choop on January 20, 2004, 05:10:38 pm
-
Hey yeah so I occasionally lurk at the wigu board, and I saw the thread there wishing you a happy birthday and thought the cheer should be spread.
Happy birthday!
-
<dumbrella>w00t!
Today should be full of teh gifts of yes</dumbrella>
-
Thank you!
If everyone posts all kinds of exciting and wonderful birthday messages to me, maybe our fearless leaderette will see the value of revealing her birthday to us. This is a purely selfless suggestion on my part, obviously.
-
Happy Birthday tooo yooo
Happy Birthday tooo yoooo
Happy Birthday dear Wommm-baaaaat...(Wombat)
Happy Birrrrth-daaaaay
toooooo
yooooooooooooooo!
(And many more...)
:mrgreen:
And since you asked, my birthday is the same day as former President Reagan's. Different year, though.
-
Happy Birthday, Wombat!
How many whacks on the behind are we to throw you today?
-
Different year, though.
You mean you're not the same age as Reagan?
*ahem*
Hippo birdies to you Wombat!
Hope it be, or have been a good birthday. (It's time to maul English celebratorily, though that's just me writing a CV).
So yea, and less holding out on the birthday info people!
-
Christmas Eve. Woo.
Worst.Birthdate.Ever.
ALWAYS going to church. Everything closes early. Combination Presents. Until serious relationships developed, NEVER got laid on my birthday.
Weather often sucked ass.
-
Not bitter at all.
-
How many whacks on the behind are we to throw you today?
For you, Jough, as many as you want. But you have to do it yesterday since that was when the birthday actually was.
I will only admit that polling showed me to be the oldest living poster on the Wigu messageboard. Since nearly everyone there is about 20, that isn't giving away much.
-
Christmas Eve. Woo.
Worst.Birthdate.Ever.
Condolences. Must be awful because even three weeks after Christmas is too close. Certain spouses think they can try to get away with buying extra presents at Christmas and having it count. Ha.
Hey, but at least you figured out how to solve the lousy weather problem, which I haven't yet.
-
Happy Birthday, yesterday, anyhow. I suggest your spouse packs you guys up and brings you guys here for your birthday. We got room (even more, now that some of our stuff is gone :lol: ) so make it a memorable birthday. First round of Mai Tais is on me.
-
I will only admit that polling showed me to be the oldest living poster on the Wigu messageboard. Since nearly everyone there is about 20, that isn't giving away much.
Do they have many dead posters on the Wigu board?
I would be concerned about winning the title on this board, but I think Paul has me beat. Ha Ha.
Happy birfday, though!
-
Do they have many dead posters on the Wigu board?
I would be concerned about winning the title on this board, but I think Paul has me beat. Ha Ha.
Just one, I think, my friend Edgar http://www.dumbrella.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_profile;u=00005776
Actually I think I am also slightly your senior, August, so Paul and I will have to duke it out while you go sit at the kids' table.
-
I feel the pain of you Christmas-birthday types, as my birthday's two weeks even before that of the Bébé-Jésus, and I get fewer presents because of it.
-
Actually I think I am also slightly your senior, August,
IMPOSSIBLE! You're too fresh-faced, innocent and beautiful to be older than me!
Now Paul, on the other hand...
-
IMPOSSIBLE! You're too fresh-faced, innocent and beautiful to be older than me!
Ah. I have never been so grateful for the Internet. (Being old enough to remember before there was one, of course...)
Edit: Upon consideration it occurs to me that my offer to duke it out with Paul would probably more realistically involve my biting him on the ankles.
-
Happy Birthday tooo yooo
Happy Birthday tooo yoooo
Happy Birthday dear Wommm-baaaaat...(Wombat)
Happy Birrrrth-daaaaay
toooooo
yooooooooooooooo!
(And many more...)
Great, now we have to pay the royalties.
-
Actually, that post is coming off of the server in Taiwan, where they don't really care about violating US copyright law.
And besides, the melody was completely different than those sisters' song.
-
How many whacks on the behind are we to throw you today?
I will only admit that polling showed me to be the oldest living poster on the Wigu messageboard. Since nearly everyone there is about 20, that isn't giving away much.
I would be concerned about winning the title on this board, but I think Paul has me beat. Ha Ha.
Actually I think I am also slightly your senior, August, so Paul and I will have to duke it out while you go sit at the kids' table.
Upon consideration it occurs to me that my offer to duke it out with Paul would probably more realistically involve my biting him on the ankles..
All I can say to all that is Yikes! What a revoltin' development. What started with a playful offer to put some color in Wombat's fanny ends up with me getting bitten on the ankle.
I just had a birthday last week, where is my love? I want a worlds oldest Achewood fan graphic made in my honor.
~Paul
-
I just had a birthday last week, where is my love? I want a worlds oldest Achewood fan graphic made in my honor.
~Paul
Happy Birthday, Beyotch. Had we known we probably might have said something, maybe.
In any case, I present to you:
(http://achewood.plagiarist.com/images/PaulCertificate.jpg)
-
Sniff, I don't know what to say. It's beautiful. Thank you.
~Paul
-
That is kind of excellent, actually.
-
Yes, that is my signature, and no, you may not use it for evil. Thank you.
-
Yes, that is my signature, and no, you may not use it for evil. Thank you.
With all due respect, Jough, I am sadly disappointed at its absolute legibility. I mean, that is almost -- almost! -- regular D'nealian, right there! My mother* writes cursive like that!
I feel obliged to make my signature somehow more soul-suckingly illegible just to cancel out Jough's.
Anyway, happy birthday to folks. Whee!
* My mother teaches first grade. Thus, she has damn fine penmanship, mostly to serve as an example.
-
Not D'nealian! It all leans the wrong way and is tearing kids away just when they're starting to actuall print their letters forward. I say we stop this madness and eliminate cursive writing completely.
-
Hang on - I hate to break this to you, Paul, but I might have to ankle-bite that certificate away from you. Was '79 your senior year in high school, or college?
Wait a minute. Maybe I don't want to know the answer to this question.
-
Hang on - I hate to break this to you, Paul, but I might have to ankle-bite that certificate away from you. Was '79 your senior year in high school, or college?
Oh dear, I... I...
:(
I'm not giving back my certificate.
~Paul <---Class of '80 Aldine High School, Houston Texas
-
Sheesh. What's with all the secrecy. It's not like we're going to see how old people are and go "Ah, see you look older" or anything. It makes little to no difference really.
Well, I guess we could look at you, Paul and say that, but given you was class of '80 you look about the age I'd have expected. Possibly looks a bit younger, but only because of your playful exuberance!
-
I thought wombat was our* age . . .
*JL and me
-
I thought wombat was our* age . . .
*JL and me
I want to say something like "I'm just really immature" but that doesn't sound as insulting to you guys. Insert your own revision of that sentence here.
Does this mean you don't love me anymore?
I think Paul and I would have to get down to exact birthdays to figure this out. And now my envy of his certificate is outweighed by second thoughts about whether I should have let this remain unknown. So he gets to keep it and his ankles intact.
-
Wombat's just young at heart.
And Paul is older than he looks, evidently. Hell, I was still playing Wiffle™ ball in 1980, albeit a local revision of the game that included us basically beating each other with those plastic bats for whatever penalty needed to be inflicted (and there were many).
-
I still play the occasional game of Wiffle ball today.
Well, not today as in January 22, 2004 because it's too cold out and nobody would want to play and the bat would get brittle and crack. But we play at my in-laws family functions.
It's fun.
-
I throw a mean-ass wiffle curve.
Back in the day, we always said that if you hit the top window of the house, it was worth five runs. Nobody ever did it though.
-
I still play the occasional game of Wiffle ball today.
I throw a mean-ass wiffle curve.
Let's stay on topic people. We were talking about how young I look.
~Paul
-
Wombat's just young at heart.
Ugh, this is what you say about someone who's 80 and doesn't complain too much about the nursing home food. I'd much rather be immature.
But hey, that Paul - doesn't he look fresh-faced, innocent and beautiful?
-
Let's stay on topic people. We were talking about how young I look.
You'll look like a big baby when I strike you out with my mean-ass wiffle curve. :lol:
-
Oh, GAWD, this is what happens when you let the oldsters talk to each other!
I'm gonna go to my ROOM and talk to my FRIENDS about DEEP SPACE NINE and OUR HORRIBLE MUSIC and BAGGY DUNGAREES.
... look, someone needed to be the whippersnapper here...
-
V, you come back down here RIGHT NOW and apologize to the nice old people!
-
OK, damn cross Atlantic thing again. What the fuck is wiffle ball?
-
We used to just play it like baseball, in the street, with chalk marks on the curb, or else a brick or something next to the curb which would mark the "base".
Yes, I suppose American Baseball may not be familiar to those across the pond, although there is an English World League Baseball team (the London Teacups).
Eventually we grew bored with the non-painful game and came up with our own rules, based something on raquetball and suicide:
The game is played with a large wall and a hard but bouncy rubber ball. Since the Wiffleball bat wasn't really strong enough for this type of ball we'd usually wrap the bat up with black electrical tape first. This made it much stronger and more painful.
The "fielders" would stand behind the batter in varying distances. There were no teams - everyone would have their own personal score. The batter would serve the ball to himself by throwing the ball against the wall, and then would hit the ball (again against the wall) and run around the bases WHILE CARRYING HIS BAT. If someone caught the ball off the wall with no bounce first they'd then get to try to get the batter out by throwing the hard ball at him. If they missed, someone else could pick it up and try to tag the runner/batter with the ball. The batter could try to fight them off from doing this with his bat.
If the ball touched the ground first someone could still pick it up, but if they threw it at the batter and missed the batter automatically received a point and got to throw a penalty throw at the fielder, who would "assume the position" against the wall (facing the wall, legs spread apart, hands on the wall, and head down, if he knew what was good for him). The batter would then stand back on the batter's box and would throw the ball as hard as he could at the fielder. Body shots earned you an extra point, arms and legs were no points, and if you missed, you changed places with the fielder who would then be able to get a penalty shot off of you.
Batters kept batting until someone threw or tagged them out. The rotation was just an arbitrary order, and everyone kept track of everyone else's score.
-
Right. OK.
We just played baseball in the field next to our house. Or football in the parkland in the forest up from us, when we could get enough people (American football that is, not fuck*ng soccer... ugh).
-
OK, damn cross Atlantic thing again. What the fuck is wiffle ball?
This made me laugh my ass off until my wife asked me what my problem was.
-
I like totally know how you FEEL, V. They just don't UNDERSTAND.
*hysterical sobbing, listening loudly to angst-ridden, bass-heavy music in room with door locked*
-
You kids, you never appreciate how good you've got it. When I was your age we didn't even HAVE internet messageboards. We had to carve our notes to our friends into pieces of rock with our fingernails and then walk barefoot five miles in the snow to leave them piled up in front of the old country store. Can you imagine how much trouble it was to carve my avatar onto all those pieces of rock? No, you can't even imagine. And you think you can complain.
-
No, you can't even imagine. And you think you can complain.
I'm not complaining here, just mentioning that when I was a kid we didn't have avatars. I only got into the whole online thing relatively late, about '92, and until about 3 years ago I didn't know of this whole avatar thing. The only place I ever talked to people online was on IRC which I'd been using for several years, news wotsits, and the odd very plain forum.
Then suddenly I discover this whole, sticking pictures next to your name thing.
Then I started actually using them!
I tried to resist since it felt like it went against everything I believed in.
I'm possibly sadder than geeky.
-
Well, I don't know how being on the internet in 1992 could be "kinda late" since that's the year the web happened. Were you using just FTP, e-mail, and gopher before that? Dialing into BBSs?
Anyway, the WWW didn't really take off until ISPs started cropping up around 1994. By 1996, when I put my first web site up, it was already commercial as hell.
fuck*ng internet.
-
Well, I don't know how being on the internet in 1992 could be "kinda late" since that's the year the web happened.
By 1996, when I put my first web site up, it was already commercial as hell.
Because indeed, if I'd been involved in it earlier I would have been using BBS' before I started with IRC (although before that it was all DC for me) and the odd bit of gaming.
I had my first site up in about, oooh - memory sucks - 94/95 or thereabouts, since I learned HTML (which back in those days involved about three commands, aaaah the good old days) when I moved to England.
It seemed pre commercial then. But agreed, by 1996 it was horrid in fifteen different styles.
Now it's just TV. What with live-action fuck*ng commercials cropping up!
Then again at least it's uncensored TV where you can find the odd piece of factual information. And say fuck lots.
-
I was on in about '93 but it seems like like '96 was the main threshold when suddenly every product had a url on it and people noticed there was more than just Prodigy. It's also when AOL created and entire fictional town in Virginia.
-
Wow, I feel like a gigantic whippersnapper for not having gotten seriously addicted to the Internet until late 1996.
(What got me, in the end, was MUDs. Sure, the Web was shiny and sort of hypnotic to poke at, but MUDs combined hack-n-slash fantasy gaming with talking to geeks in a geek-friendly environment. Coming out of the nerd closet as I was then (coming out of the server room?) MUDs were an immensely good thing. And now, hell, I'm comfortable enough talking to geeks online that I can create Faulknerian wads of nested parentheses and italics like this very paragraph.)
-
I came this close ( >< ) to getting onto MUD's. But then that would have got me started on the old text adventures again, and then before you know it I'm off quoting Wargames, bleeting about Tron and demanding my fifteenth cup of coffee like a drunk in a bar.
-
Wow, I feel like a gigantic whippersnapper for not having gotten seriously addicted to the Internet until late 1996.
(What got me, in the end, was MUDs. Sure, the Web was shiny and sort of hypnotic to poke at, but MUDs combined hack-n-slash fantasy gaming with talking to geeks in a geek-friendly environment. Coming out of the nerd closet as I was then (coming out of the server room?) MUDs were an immensely good thing. And now, hell, I'm comfortable enough talking to geeks online that I can create Faulknerian wads of nested parentheses and italics like this very paragraph.)
MUDs are what did it for me, too. I got my first email account when I started college in '91, to communicate with my soon-to-be-ex-girlfriend, who went away to school in Maine. Back then, I had to check my mail on the Macs at school, so I didn't really get the whole "online" thing until I got a modem for Xmas in '92. For the next year or two, until my school started shutting down accounts that were being used for gaming (those were the days...) you couldn't pull me away from either of the MUDs that I frequented. I finally broke down and got a non-school ISP (so I could keep gaming) in ~'94-95, but I was still using an old Mac Classic w/ a 9600 baud modem, so everything was text-only baby.
The Web was quite a revelation to me when I eventually moved up to a windows box, and I still tend to be a little old school (like using Pine to check my email...)
Wow, that's more than any of you could ever have wanted to know.
-
to communicate with my soon-to-be-ex-girlfriend
Dang. When are you going to break the news to her?
And I hope she doesn't read this board. That'd be kind of a shitty way to find out, huh?
-
It was all about the Star Trek trivia room on AOL, baby. Back when enclosing a sound effect in double colons instead of the clearly more correct asterisks was enough to ostracize you weeks.
-
(What got me, in the end, was MUDs.
Me too, actually. I hung out at NAILS round about 1993-94.
-
Terrifying realization:
Somewhere on storage, I still have a copy of the pastiche someone on my MUD wrote of Monty Python's "The Meaning of Life," using MUD personages as the characters in the movie and featuring songs like "Every Elf is Sacred." The existence of this document terrifies me, but there it is.
(I was one of the women who died at the end. I had one line: "After-Mirk Mints?")
Now, to attempt to find "The Meaning of Mirkwood" wherever it's ended up...
-
to communicate with my soon-to-be-ex-girlfriend
Dang. When are you going to break the news to her?
And I hope she doesn't read this board. That'd be kind of a shitty way to find out, huh?
Foiled by the English language yet again. See, this is why I:
a) Am a science/engineering grad student, not a humanities/social sciences/arts/whatever grad student (no matter how bad my writing, and brother is it bad, technical journals don't seem to mind that much, and I do a better job than many non-native speakers)
b) Don't normally talk to, you know, people
Anyway, to get sort of back on topic:
Happy birthday, birthday-having people. And Happy Lunar New Year, while we're at it...