The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Limmo on January 20, 2004, 08:00:18 pm

Title: Playlists
Post by: Limmo on January 20, 2004, 08:00:18 pm
Per AlohaDawg's suggestion, here's my playlist.

Al Green: I Want To Hold Your Hand
Howlin' Wolf: Everybody's In The Mood
Clifton Chenier: At-Te Tee Fee
The Detroit Cobras: Hey Sailor
The Detroit Cobras: He Did It
Iggy Pop: Consolation Prizes
Led Zeppelin: South Bound Saurez
Can: Turtels Have Short Legs
Shriekback: The Reptiles and I
The Posies: Song #1
The Flamin' Groovies: Shake Some Action
Todd Rundgren and Utopia: Crybaby
The Names: Why Can't It Be
The Marmalade: I See the Rain
John Cale: Andalucia
Peter Gabriel ( vocals by Richie Havens ): The Time of the Turning
Shriekback: Cradle Song

and on most copies, a "hidden" track:
The Beatles: A Day in the Life ( alternate version from Anthology 2 )
Title: Playlists
Post by: AugustWest on January 20, 2004, 08:07:32 pm
Here it is again:

1. Peaches en Regalia -- Frank Zappa -- Hot Rats
2. Baby Lemonade -- Syd Barrett -- Barrett
3. Thela Hun Ginjeet -- King Crimson -- Discipline
4. Dixie Chicken -- Little Feat -- Dixie Chicken
5. Well You Needn't -- Theolonious Monk -- Not sure
6. Choo Choo Ch-Boogie -- Asleep at the Wheel -- Swing Time
7. Rock 'n Roll -- Slim Whitman -- Yodelin' Favorites
8. Bliss -- Emil Richards and the Microtonal Blues Band -- Journey to Bliss
9. Rats -- Syd Barrett -- Barrett
10. The First Cut is the Deepest -- Rod Stewart -- A Night on the Town
11. All the Things You C Sharp -- Charles Mingus -- Mingus at the Bohemia
12. House of Blue Lights -- Asleep at the Wheel -- Swing Time
13. Indiscipline -- King Crimson -- Discipline
14. The Disguise -- Ornette Coleman -- Something Else...
15. From the Back of A Buick 6 -- Bob Dylan -- Highway 61 Revisited
16. Sleep Dirt -- Frank Zappa -- Sleep Dirt
17. Effervescing Elephant -- Syd Barrett -- Barrett
Title: Playlists
Post by: sjlimmer on January 21, 2004, 01:00:46 am
Here's my list:

Joy Division -- Ice Age
The Cure -- Jumping Someone Else's Train   
Badly Drawn Boy -- Everbody's Stalking   
Hope Sandoval & The Warm Inventions -- On The Low   
Yo La Tengo -- Don't Have to Be So Sad   
Harold Budd, Simon Raymonde, Robin Guthrie, Elizabeth Fraser -- Bloody And Blunt   
Luna -- Tiger Lily   
New Order -- Age of Consent   
The Mighty Mighty Bosstones -- Where'd You Go?   
New Pornographers -- The Laws Have Changed
The Primitives -- Stop Killing Me
The Sugarcubes -- Motorcrash   
The Lucksmiths -- Camera-Shy   
Siouxsie and the Banshees -- O Baby   
Hepcat -- No Worries   
Millie Small -- My Boy Lollipop   
Billy Ball And The Upsetters, feat. Roosevelt Matthews -- Tighten Up Tighter   
Gil Scott-Heron -- It's Your World   
The Brand New Heavies feat. Black Sheep -- State of Yo
A Tribe Called Quest -- After Hours
Jurassic 5 -- Improvise
Title: Playlists
Post by: andalucia on January 21, 2004, 02:25:09 am
Here's v.1.0 of mine... This was what the first ones I mailed out had on 'em, then I revised it a little for the next few:

1.    andalucia (john cale cover) - yo la tengo
2.    i don't blame you - cat power
3.    random rules - the silver jews
4.    snare, girl - sonic youth
5.    orange peel - luna
6.    get a room - jim o'rourke
7.    sleeping on roads - neil halstead
8.    papa was a rodeo - the magnetic fields
9.    dress sexy at my funeral - smog
10.  the gifted children - neutral milk hotel
11.  more than this (roxy music cover) -robyn hitchcock
12.  i still miss you - arab strap
Title: Playlists
Post by: andalucia on January 21, 2004, 02:28:06 am
Furthermore, I'm glad August's mix had some Syd Barrett action, he nearly made the cut on mine, but not quite, since I'm in the throes of a minor obcession with him presently.
Title: Playlists
Post by: AugustWest on January 21, 2004, 02:59:52 am
I don't know why I put 3 Syd tracks on there, I suppose I just had a hard time picking just one.
Title: Playlists
Post by: pmcd9 on January 21, 2004, 04:15:15 am
Fatal Apple Presents Vol. 4
"Rumpelstiltskin"

The Motel Lobby/Zanti Serenade - The Mothers of Invention
Guitarmy - The Blood Brothers
Dust in the Wind - Todd Rundgren
Sho' 'Nuff and Yes I Do - Captain Beefheart and his Magic Band
Long Time Gone - Dixie Chicks
1952 Vincent Black Lightning - The Del McCoury Band
Telephone Road - Steve Earle and The Dukes
Leave the Driving - Neil Young and Crazy hoss
Sir Patrick Spens - Fairport Convention
Hope - Smashing Pumpkins
On The Beach - The Walkabouts
Two Hours Alone - Wagon
Crestfallen - The Pernice Brothers
Evening Mass - The Willard Grant Conspiracy
Maria Elena - Ry Cooder
Werewolf - Cat Power
Fatal Wound - Uncle Tupelo
Apocalypse No! - Will Oldham
Hurt - Johnny Cash
John The Revelator - Son House

It's going out soon I promise.  I am working on the next volume and I intend to ship the two disc together, but I am waiting for an arrival from Amazon.com to complete the mix.  The second volume is to be entitled "Songs My Mother Taught Me to Love."

On my mailing list I've got:

Asherdan
Sjlimmer
Carlosdelvaca
Alohadawg
Jldunston & pedropicaso
Limmo
Jough
Starlight
AugustWest

Anybody else wanna?  Am I missing anyone?

~Paul
Title: Playlists
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 21, 2004, 02:24:50 pm
Spoon “Me and the Bean”
Spoon “Stay Don’t Go”
Longwave “Tidal Wave”
Joe Strummer & The Mescaleros “Coma Girl”
Grandaddy “Stray Dog and the Chocolate Shake”
1 Giant Leap (feat. Robbie Williams and Maxi Jazz) “My Culture”
The Roots “Thought @ Work”
Outkast “The Way You Move”
Robert Randolph & the Family Band "I Need More Love”
The New Pornographers, “July Jones”
Neko Case, “Deep Red Bells”
Dido vs. Underworld “Take My Slippy Hand”
Belle & Sebastian “The Boy With the Arab Strap”
My Morning Jacket “Golden”
Iron and Wine “Such Great Heights”
Iron and Wine “Bird Stealing Bread”
Nickel Creek “Out of the Woods”

 
I got two left.  PM me if you want one.
Title: Playlists
Post by: AugustWest on January 21, 2004, 02:32:40 pm
Glad to see local (Louisville) band My Morning Jacket on your mix Carlos.  Not that I'm a big fan or anything, but they did open for Bob Dylan last spring when I saw him in a bar parking lot.
Title: Playlists
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 21, 2004, 02:53:18 pm
I saw them open for Doves about a year and a half ago.  Heard "One Big Holiday" on a CMJ NMM compliation, and took a flyer on the album.  Pretty good.  Lots of reverb.
Title: Playlists
Post by: starlight on January 21, 2004, 10:39:50 pm
Oooo carlosdelvaca, that looks like quite a good mix... luuurve Spoon, iron and wine (just recently discovered them back in November when a friend told me) and b&s ..I'll PM ya for it :D

here's my playlist:
Clearlake - The Mind is Evil
Ampop - Rodent
Mew - 156
Sigur Rós - Hlemmur 3
Mugison - The night is limping
Misty Dixon - Are You Lost?
Sodastream - Colouring Iris
ainjel emme - what I know about you
Mew - Her Voice is Beyond Her Years
Franz Ferdinand - Darts of Pleasure
Do Make Say Think - Ontario Plates
British Sea Power - Fear of Drowning
track star - feet first
Tied & Tickled Trio - Bungalow
Broken Social Scene - cause = time
Hope of the States - Black Dollar Bills
Mew - Comforting Sounds
Title: Playlists
Post by: slink on January 21, 2004, 11:59:33 pm
For interests sake, the mix that I recorded (though the record didn't work out very well and one of the outputs became distorted) involved this playlist.
Unfortunately I'm missing a lot of the stuff I wanted to use, and I now have more stuff that I would certainly put on.
I will sort another one out soon, and offer that...

Tom Waits - intro to Putnam County
Tom Waits - Lowside of the Road
Boss Hog - Walk In
Desert Sessions 9&10 - Crawl Home
Masters of Reality - High Noon Amsterdam
QotSA - No One Knows
Hermano - Senor Moreno's Plan
Kyuss - Space Cadet
Pixies - Hey
Morphine - Thursday
Masters of Reality - Ants in the Kitchen
Eagles of Death Metal - Shit Goddamn
QotSA - If Only
Rollin's Band - Disconnect
Prince Buster - Whine and Grine
The Damned - Smash It Up
The Clash - London Calling
Sublime - Jailhouse
Desert Sessions 9&10 - I Wanna Make It Wit Chu

(I will shortly offer a mix which I will attempt to construct using every ounce of my experience in mixing and musical decency, as opposed to the above which I made in the time it took to play through, and with not enough thought to make me happy.)
Title: Playlists
Post by: Bozack on January 31, 2004, 10:34:05 pm
Here's my contribution:
"Stewart Ransom Miller, Serial Lady-Killer"
1. It's All Over Now, Baby Blue- Van Morrison
2. She Divines Water- Camper Van Beethoven
3. Osamu's Theme: Kyoko's House (From Mishima)- Philip Glass
4. Oliver's Army- Elvis Costello
5. Glad You're Here With Me- Papa M
6. Spinnin' on This Rock- Ramsay Midwood
7. Last Minute- Dump
8. Barrier Reef- The Old 97's
9. Stay- Belly
10. You's a Viper- Alex Chilton
11. Moanin'- Charles Mingus
12. The Note- Hudson Wayne
13. Strychnine- The Sonics
14. Skulls- Evan Dando
15. Nuclear War- Yo La Tengo
16. A Minor Place- Bonnie "Prince" Billy
17. Underwear- Pulp
18. Oh!- The Breeders
19. Time Trap- Built to Spill
20. Dead Flowers- Townes Van Zandt
21. Androgynous- The Replacements

You like? You like?
Title: Playlists
Post by: pmcd9 on January 31, 2004, 11:49:57 pm
Underwear, hell yeah.

"Why is it so  hard for you to give yourself to him or Jesus."

~Paul
Title: Playlists
Post by: Bozack on February 01, 2004, 12:10:24 am
yeah, "underwear" is right up there with "now i wanna be your dog" in my top-ten all-time songs i want to get rutty to.
Title: Playlists
Post by: V-Adore on February 01, 2004, 06:28:45 pm
Okay! For some reason, my computer has decide that it doesn't like burning CDs comprehensibly anymore, so my mixdisc is delayed indefinitely. Nonetheless, I think I'll post the playlist (although not precisely in final order yet):

The John Benjamin Band, "What We Need More Of Is Science"
The Flaming Lips, "All We Have Is Now"
The John Benjamin Band, "Man of the Year"
Moxy Fruvous, "Sahara"
Raised By Wolves, "120 MPH"
Raised By Wolves, "Firecrackers (JBB Cover)"
R.E.M., "Daysleeper"
The Police, "Synchronicity II"
Murray Head, "One Night In Bangkok"
They Might Be Giants, "Dead"
Drew, "Shipwreck"
SMU, "Two Bucks and I'm Yours"
Octothorpe, "Watch Your Face"
The Left Banke, "Pretty Ballerina"
Thomas Dolby, "Screen Kiss"
Title: Playlists
Post by: andalucia on February 01, 2004, 11:45:54 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
They Might Be Giants, "Dead"


Word. up.  

For a recent asinine correspondance-English course I've been working on, we had to chose an epitaph for ourselves, and I chose a few lines from that song as mine.
Title: Playlists
Post by: jay-ell on February 03, 2004, 06:22:28 pm
Here's the playlist for my two-disk set, which is in production as we speak.  

Disk 1
Radio Songs: Twelve songs you've heard a million times...and three you haven't.  

Booty Craze (APD)
Riders on the Storm (The Doors)
Money for Nothing (Dire Straits)
Pinball Wizard (The Who)
Whiskey in the Jar (Thin Lizzy)
Drop Dead Legs (Van Halen)
Girl's Got Rhythm (AC/DC)
Because it's Midnite (Limozeen)
You Give Love a Bad Name (Bon Jovi)
The Ocean (Led Zeppelin)
Tom Sawyer (Rush)
More than a Feeling (Boston)
Desperado (The Eagles)
Front Porch (Sci-Fi Wondercult)
Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen)

Disk 2
HerStory: Women in Rock, 1965-2004

Piece of my Heart (Janis Joplin)
Barracuda (Heart)
Heartbreaker (Pat Benetar)
I Love Rock & Roll (Joan Jett)
I Drove All Night (Cyndi Lauper)
Whole Lotta Trouble (Stevie Nicks)
As Girls Go (Suzanne Vega)
Strong Enough (Sheryl Crow)*
I Can't Be With You (The Cranberries)
I Want to Come Over (Melissa Etheridge)
Not the Doctor (Alanis Morisette)
Let's Just Get Naked (Joan Osborne)
Mother Mother (Tracy Bonham)
Platinum Blonde Life (No Doubt)
Unforgiven (Fefe Dobson)
Are You Happy Now (Michelle Branch)
Extraordinary (Liz Phair)

*Missing on three disks...um, oops?
Title: Playlists
Post by: V-Adore on February 03, 2004, 07:53:31 pm
Niiice playlists, JL. I particularly like how well the Limozeen track integrates on the first disk -- it fits, utterly, even though it really should not.
Title: Playlists
Post by: jay-ell on February 03, 2004, 08:20:28 pm
::Takes a bow::

This is actually my second run at it.  For the original concept, I picked my 15 favorite bands and then chose my second favorite song from each of them.  That's when I realized that all my favorites are radio songs, and that I am as un-indie as you can possibly get without actually listening to Britney Spears.
Title: Playlists
Post by: V-Adore on February 03, 2004, 08:30:01 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
::Takes a bow::

This is actually my second run at it.  For the original concept, I picked my 15 favorite bands and then chose my second favorite song from each of them.  That's when I realized that all my favorites are radio songs, and that I am as un-indie as you can possibly get without actually listening to Britney Spears.

I actually sort of like this general concept -- I think I may try to put together a playlist of "semi-favorite songs from favorite bands." It's an interesting challenge.
Title: Playlists
Post by: Limmo on February 03, 2004, 08:40:52 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I actually sort of like this general concept -- I think I may try to put together a playlist of "semi-favorite songs from favorite bands." It's an interesting challenge.


Seconded.
Title: Playlists
Post by: pmcd9 on February 03, 2004, 08:45:30 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
I actually sort of like this general concept -- I think I may try to put together a playlist of "semi-favorite songs from favorite bands." It's an interesting challenge.


Seconded.


And thirded.  I've wanted to make a disc of all time favorite songs, but I thought who wants a mix disc of songs we've all heard?

Me, I do.

~Paul
Title: Playlists
Post by: Bozack on February 05, 2004, 04:05:53 am
Okay, I'm shipping tomorrow, and it's actually a TWO-DISC now! Wow! It's the original playlist, minus "Androgynous" and plus "I Will Dare", by the Replacements, and the second disc is thus:

Shanty Town- Desmond Dekker
Sinners- Freddie & the Hitchhikers
Fairytale of New York- The Pogues
I Got it Bad (And That Ain't Good)- Nina Simone
Golden Brown- The Stranglers
Blood Red River- Beth Orton
Girls! Girls! Girls!- Liz Phair
Our Man In Bombay- The Minders
Cyclops- Guided by Voices
Poor Girl- X
Heroes (David Bowie Cover)- The Magnetic Fields
Les Os- The Unicorns
Country Leaver- The Dandy Warhols
Surfin' Dead- The Cramps
NY Snow Globe- The Rachels
Steak For Chicken- The Moldy Peaches
Sleepwalkin'- Modest penis
My Love is Killing Me- The Red Elvises
Scarecrow- James
I Found a Reason (Velvet Underground Cover)- Yo La Tengo
Zorro is Back- Oliver Onions
I Don't Blame You- Cat Power
Death Is Not The End- Nick Cave

So far, I'm sending to Andalucia, Jldunston and Pmcd9. Anybody else want in?
Title: Playlists
Post by: andalucia on February 05, 2004, 04:13:56 am
Oh my, I would that that mix were a person so I could marry it.
Title: Playlists
Post by: Bozack on February 05, 2004, 04:18:42 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Oh my, I would that that mix were a person so I could marry it.

For a second, I had to diagram that sentence in my brain. But it IS a real one. And for that, the second disk shall be titled "Mr. Hal Andalucia"
Title: Playlists
Post by: andalucia on February 05, 2004, 04:59:18 am
Yeah, apparently I'm all about the needlessly archaic constructions.  As for the title, I'm flattered, nigh on giggling like the proverbial schoolgirl that I in fact am.
Title: Playlists
Post by: jay-ell on February 05, 2004, 05:05:43 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Yeah, apparently I'm all about the needlessly archaic constructions.  As for the title, I'm flattered, nigh on giggling like the proverbial schoolgirl that I in fact am.


I didn't realize you were a proverbial schoolgirl!  

Sorry.  I really am.  I'm in an odd mood tonight.
Title: Playlists
Post by: andalucia on February 05, 2004, 05:14:39 am
Both proverbial and literal.  Yeah, it takes skill.
Title: Playlists
Post by: Bozack on February 05, 2004, 06:34:14 am
I'm at least on par with you. I'm a theoretical schoolboy. Meaning, yeah, theoretucally I should be in school. But....
Title: Playlists
Post by: V-Adore on February 05, 2004, 09:22:36 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Okay, I'm shipping tomorrow, and it's actually a TWO-DISC now! Wow!
(...)
My Love is Killing Me- The Red Elvises
(...)
So far, I'm sending to Andalucia, Jldunston and Pmcd9. Anybody else want in?

Red Elvises! Score!

Anyway, I'm in as long as you're willing to accept a "whenever I get my burner working" IOU for CD trade. If that's cool, I'll PM the address.