The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Jaded Tersk on February 10, 2014, 06:37:52 pm

Title: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: Jaded Tersk on February 10, 2014, 06:37:52 pm

So he is, to be sure.

http://www.portlandmercury.com/BlogtownPDX/archives/2014/01/14/now-hiring-at-the-mercury-food-critic-wanted
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: AugustWest on February 10, 2014, 06:48:38 pm
Oh Lord.
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 10, 2014, 08:38:17 pm
LIQUID BANJO
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: CortJstr on February 10, 2014, 08:46:08 pm
Will there be a flavor that tastes like grocery store rotisserie chicken and bourbon?
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: wombat on February 10, 2014, 08:49:47 pm
My first thought is that the last thing the world needs is another craft soda company... but Ash is right, I can see that the urge to produce something called Achewater might be irresistible.
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: CortJstr on February 10, 2014, 08:52:21 pm
My first thought is that the last thing the world needs is another craft soda company... but Ash is right, I can see that the urge to produce something called Achewater might be irresistible.

I enjoy a good black cherry cream soda but there are so many "craft" soda companies out there still using HFCS. If I'm paying $2.50 a bottle I want real sugar.
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: wombat on February 10, 2014, 08:53:41 pm
And now I read the link... he's also quitting being food critic. Seems like that is a pretty sweet gig to give up, but on the other hand looking at the pay they advertise, maybe not so much.
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: Jaded Tersk on February 10, 2014, 09:02:51 pm
Will he run into a major playa in the craft soda market and get Japan Man'd?

Will he compete in the established marketplace or be a visionary who can see that the demographic is flexible?

Will he have a flavour called Freezepop?

And so on.

Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: Jaded Tersk on February 10, 2014, 09:05:40 pm
but on the other hand looking at the pay they advertise, maybe not so much

Yeah, plus the condition that you have to blog on the shitty Blogtown thing 3 times a week is a deal-breaker.
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: wombat on February 10, 2014, 09:12:48 pm
I'm sure it's a great opportunity to break into the business for someone with no credentials. And he probably made a lot of connections with places who might sell his soda. But that's really not a lot of money for the work involved.
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: wombat on February 10, 2014, 09:13:39 pm
I enjoy a good black cherry cream soda but there are so many "craft" soda companies out there still using HFCS. If I'm paying $2.50 a bottle I want real sugar.

I agree but obviously many people don't care so I wonder how much room there is in this market. But I don't care as long as he has time to make a comic once a week.
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: pmcd9 on February 11, 2014, 02:31:05 am
Well we all know how good he is at running a small business.
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: theinevitable on February 11, 2014, 05:48:33 am
Tomorrow Soda
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: wombat on February 11, 2014, 01:48:12 pm
Well we all know how good he is at running a small business.

To be fair, although now we only remember the bad times and the cookbooks we never got, he supported a family on it for quite a while before it all went to pot.
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: AugustWest on February 11, 2014, 02:49:00 pm
Well we all know how good he is at running a small business.

I've got a tiny can of Achewater back ordered for you, but until it gets here, have a tiny can of Dr. Pepper instead.
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on February 11, 2014, 02:51:57 pm
This sounds like a Pat Venture. Maybe the reason that the recent portrayal of Pat was so off the wall is because when living in Portland, the baseline of snobbery is adjusted.

Next up, C. Onstad brand Ayurvedic Tapas™
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: Jaded Tersk on February 11, 2014, 08:51:31 pm
Invested in fancy ass food.
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: oball on February 12, 2014, 11:08:41 am
(http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/oball/raycraftsoda.jpg~original)
Title: Re: Chris is going to start a craft soda company.
Post by: greenkoolayd on February 13, 2014, 05:14:36 am
burlap-flavored soda.  delicious.