The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on February 12, 2014, 08:56:20 am

Title: Crusade for Moorish Dignity
Post by: pmcd9 on February 12, 2014, 08:56:20 am
Confederacy of Dunces is my favorite novel so I'm mighty stoked that they are making a new Confederacy of Dunces play (http://www.confederacyofdunces.com/). That's almost as good as a movie, right? Well, anyway, I hope they don't fuck it up.
Title: Re: Crusade for Moorish Dignity
Post by: wombat on February 12, 2014, 01:22:51 pm
It has been a long time since I read that book several times and loved it. I wonder if I would still love it if I reread it now, or I should leave it as a pleasant memory.
Title: Re: Crusade for Moorish Dignity
Post by: pmcd9 on February 12, 2014, 08:52:55 pm
I just reread it late last year for I think the fifth time and It still had surprises to offer. There are certain parts that are just so well written that I never tire of reading them. The description of Levy ##### and Gonzalez just before Ignatius arrives for his job interview, Ignatius' condemnation of the ladies art auxiliary, his disastrous speech at Dorian Greene's house. I could go on, this book is just so good.
Title: Re: Crusade for Moorish Dignity
Post by: AugustWest on February 13, 2014, 01:02:43 am
You know that book that you really should like but that you don't really like at all?  That's Confederacy of Dunces for me.
Title: Re: Crusade for Moorish Dignity
Post by: KeithHernandez on February 13, 2014, 01:26:42 am
That is the way I feel about so many bands.
Title: Re: Crusade for Moorish Dignity
Post by: theinevitable on August 18, 2014, 04:47:50 am
Good lord this book is incredible. I listened to the audio book all the way from Charlotte to New Jersey. Now I should be in bed but I found a copy on my roommate's shelf and am reading it.
Title: Re: Crusade for Moorish Dignity
Post by: pmcd9 on August 18, 2014, 07:46:53 pm
It hooked me right from the start when Reilly first encountered Officer Mancuso.

Quote from: Ignatius J. Reilly
Is it part of the police department to harass me when this city is a flagrant vice capital of the civilized world?" Ignatius bellowed over the crowd in front of the store. "This city is famous for it's gamblers, prostitutes, exhibitionists, Anti-christs, alcoholics, sodomites, ddrug addicts, fetishists, onanists, pornographers, frauds, jades, litterbugs, and lesbians, all of whom are only too well protected by graft. If you have a moment, I shall endeavor to discuss the crime problem with you, but don't make the mistake of bothering me."
Title: Re: Crusade for Moorish Dignity
Post by: pmcd9 on August 21, 2014, 04:58:20 am
That may be a good idea. I love that line. It's so gross and compelling at the same time. Ignatius is a juggernaut.
Title: Re: Crusade for Moorish Dignity
Post by: pmcd9 on August 28, 2014, 10:02:09 pm
Goddammit, it's still kinda irritating me but the 'Levy ##### Plan' is sucking me into deeper waters.

IThere are certain parts that are just so well written that I never tire of reading them. The description of Levy ##### and Gonzalez just before Ignatius arrives for his job interview, etc...
Title: Re: Crusade for Moorish Dignity
Post by: AugustWest on October 30, 2014, 01:33:26 am
OK, Ignatius, I quit you.

Evertime I start this thing up again it takes about ten minutes until I start wanting to find things that make crushing sounds when you stomp them.

Then STOMP like the dickens.

It's me, I'm sure.

It's OK, man, I felt the same way.