The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: oball on February 22, 2014, 07:55:57 am

Title: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: oball on February 22, 2014, 07:55:57 am
http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02212014 (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02212014)

In which Cornelius undertakes a perilous task, and a salad is eaten
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: Choop on February 22, 2014, 08:27:42 am
can for perfect title

i really dig this punchline, even if the dialog is still a bit stad-handed. corny took a prison cell and turned it in to a bukowski-meets-bed bath & beyond hotel room in probably under an hour. this is the dude i wish was my roommate before i met my wife.
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 22, 2014, 02:25:37 pm
Well, he did win the Bad-Ass Games.
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: wombat on February 22, 2014, 04:44:20 pm
They are lucky to have Cornelius. And now that I say that I realized I don't understand what's in it for him. Why doesn't he find friends who are as civilized as he is?
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: Choop on February 22, 2014, 06:00:20 pm
there is no one as civilized as mr. bear
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: jsv on February 22, 2014, 07:51:13 pm
On which side goes antler, on which side goes nest of dove?
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: CortJstr on February 22, 2014, 09:45:10 pm
They are lucky to have Cornelius. And now that I say that I realized I don't understand what's in it for him. Why doesn't he find friends who are as civilized as he is?

I feel like he might be enjoying being the big giraffe. He seems even more civilized and competent compared to those around him.
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: sensate on February 23, 2014, 01:07:52 am
Anyone know what the hooch is? It kind of looks like cognac/armagnac, but there's a whiskey glass next to it.

(Mr Bear is so awesome. With everything he puts up with, he still just wants his friends to be happy. So happy Achewood's back.)
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: oball on February 23, 2014, 05:34:16 am
Anyone know what the hooch is?

https://twitter.com/achewood/status/437117853985030144 (https://twitter.com/achewood/status/437117853985030144)
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: side_show on February 23, 2014, 11:53:22 pm
They are lucky to have Cornelius. And now that I say that I realized I don't understand what's in it for him. Why doesn't he find friends who are as civilized as he is?

I sort of accept that alive stuffed animals are forced to have relationships dictated by their owner's toy collections and pets.  That convention is so buried at this point that I feel like a crazy person for accepting it though.
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: wombat on February 24, 2014, 12:56:28 am
Ha - you're exactly right, that is the explanation, but I'd forgotten all about it.
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: jaydub on February 24, 2014, 06:52:31 am
The pump-bottle of Jergen's with used wads of kleenex was a nice, desperate bachelor touch.
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on February 24, 2014, 07:50:09 pm
I'm not really sure how to interpret what the decor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iAqo4VNMAg) has to say about Téodor's tastes. Or Mr. Bear's, for that matter.

Also, am I just a dum-dum for not understanding Connie's thing with the anti-convulsants?
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: colmore on February 24, 2014, 08:55:41 pm
Did Mr. Bear go on an emergency Bed, Bath, & Beyond run for his friend?  Where did the bed frame come from?
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: jaydub on February 24, 2014, 09:07:07 pm
Something stashed away in the attic, for just such contingencies.
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: pmcd9 on February 24, 2014, 09:21:19 pm
No one has mentioned the Beau Brummels (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Beau_Brummels) poster so I will. Probably most of you pups have never heard of this band. They were an American Beatles knock off from the early 60s. They had a monster hit with Laugh Laugh (http://youtu.be/1_GeYgT58d0). They also had a big hit with Just a Little (http://youtu.be/QvZjldFCzco). But this poster is from Triangle (http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7039/7006654001_d8b40b792d_o.jpg), one of their later albums when they had morphed into full on Psychedelica (http://youtu.be/5iAqo4VNMAg).
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on February 24, 2014, 09:41:31 pm
I'm not really sure how to interpret what the decor (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5iAqo4VNMAg) has to say about Téodor's tastes.

I caught it! I caught it! Look at me! Validate me!

I guess the framed record is just a piece of Connie's Americanized anglophilia. Now I find myself thirstin' for some armagnac.
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: pmcd9 on February 24, 2014, 09:54:43 pm
I missed your comment Malcolm. Sorry about that. But what I want to know is had you ever heard of this band or did you Google it?
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on February 24, 2014, 10:14:03 pm
^ you beat me there, Paul. I am but a poser on this front. Weirdly, I was familiar with Beau Brummell the 19th c. dandy, but I had never heard of the band. Been listening to Triangle today while working, and I'm  enjoying it though
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: pmcd9 on February 24, 2014, 10:23:01 pm
To be fair I had never heard of Triangle, it wasn't exactly a hit. I knew of their big hits and I actually have one of their early albums that I picked up at a garage sale in the 80s. It's really good Beatlesque pop music.
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: theinevitable on February 24, 2014, 11:16:10 pm
I have a couple of their songs from 60s compilations, but listening to them now none of them are familiar. Hmm.
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: jsv on February 28, 2014, 03:55:18 pm
Also, am I just a dum-dum for not understanding Connie's thing with the anti-convulsants?

I think the idea is that Cornelius would be so traumatized by T's mess he'd get the Conniptions?
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: pmcd9 on March 01, 2014, 05:42:22 am
No comic today, huh?
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: Choop on March 01, 2014, 05:50:56 am
Feb 28 2014 - so much as bupkis
Title: Re: Feb 21 2014 - Fry it in butter 'til it matters
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on March 01, 2014, 02:10:02 pm
march the foremost and still bupkis, nada, &c.