The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on April 02, 2014, 09:51:45 pm

Title: Queen + Adam Lambert
Post by: pmcd9 on April 02, 2014, 09:51:45 pm
I just watched a 2 hour Queen with Adam Lambert (http://youtu.be/xVSEdbgaD24) concert from 2012 and I have mixed emotions about it. I wanted very very much to like it, but Adam Lambert just ain't cutting it as a lead man. It's unfair to compare him to Freddy Mercury because let's face it nobody compares to Freddy, but he falls so far short I was unable to accept it and enjoy it for what it is. If I could give some advice to him I would tell him to not be so stiff on stage, move around, dance. I'm not asking you to be a carbon copy of Freddy Mercury, but be somebody. Freddy Mercury was exciting, energetic, filled to the brim with machismo, funny, silly, flamboyant, and most of all fully engaged with the audience. You, on the other hand have the stage presence of a scared child. If you're going to go on stage and sing Freddy Mercury's songs with Freddy Mercury's band then you really gotta grow a pair and let loose out there. And then there's the voice. Lambert has a very good voice with an impressive range, but again he falls so far short of Mercury it's embarrassing. Unlike Mercury, whose voice is full and rich, and very masculine, Lambert's voice is thin and feminine. Feh!

On the other hand, Brian May and Roger Taylor are in top form and sounding really great. It's obvious they've worked very hard to prepare themselves for this tour and they, along with the band they've assembled are super tight. Then again, back in the day Queen were pretty raw onstage, not at all like their polished albums. Hmm...
Title: Re: Queen + Adam Lambert
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2014, 01:52:14 am
I skipped around in this a little and the only thing I wanted to stop and listen to was the old guys doing '39 without him. I'm not sure he's as bad as you led me to expect, but I was definitely unimpressed. His voice is really uninteresting.
Title: Re: Queen + Adam Lambert
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2014, 03:04:50 am
I was going to point out a couple of highlights for you, but I decided fuck it, watch This show (http://youtu.be/XUKmrsyhEt8) from 1981 instead. I was fortunate enough to have seen Queen at the height of their power about 4 months before this show was recorded. It still stands out in my mind as one of the greatest concert experiences of my life.
Title: Re: Queen + Adam Lambert
Post by: wombat on April 03, 2014, 12:39:20 pm
I am vaguely curious whether this Adam Lambert guy is better when he's doing his own music, whatever that is, but I haven't had the time to investigate.

I remember when he was on American Idol or whatever it was, my sister loved him, and she is a huge Queen fan, to the extent of having stolen one of their albums that I bought when I was a teenager because she said I wasn't a big enough fan to deserve to own a first edition. I wonder what she thinks of them together but I almost hesitate to ask. If it's a huge bummer I'd hate to rub it in.
Title: Re: Queen + Adam Lambert
Post by: AugustWest on April 03, 2014, 02:06:26 pm
Eh, he's better than I expected.

Agreed, May and Taylor are great.
Title: Re: Queen + Adam Lambert
Post by: pmcd9 on April 03, 2014, 03:56:35 pm
I remember when he was on American Idol or whatever it was, my sister loved him.

I think the highlight of his American Idol stint was a knockout performance of Bohemian Rhasody. I have vague memories of watching it on YouTube at some point In time. Saw it in the sidebar yesterday and it had millions of views.