The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Gimpson on April 08, 2014, 09:49:34 am

Title: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: Gimpson on April 08, 2014, 09:49:34 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04072014

I am staring at this comic through a foggy haze of NyQuil and desire to go back to sleep. Is this Ray or Ray's pop?
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 08, 2014, 10:07:11 am
http://achewood.com/index.php?date=04072014

I am staring at this comic through a foggy haze of NyQuil and desire to go back to sleep. Is this Ray or Ray's pop?

the pop
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: dejavroom on April 08, 2014, 11:28:11 am
The senior cat controls his anger, thus effectively transferring his frustration to the reader, who would want to see skull bones being reassigned.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: AKKOLADE on April 08, 2014, 11:52:10 am
This upsets me. To see the Man With The Blood On His Hands actively avoid getting blood on his hands upsets me. Especially given that this is rear-ending yuppie arse-buttock is a prime example of a man who deserves to see his own blood; who needs to see his own blood, before it's too late and his personality becomes permanently replaced with a giant picture of a rectal douche.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: wombat on April 08, 2014, 12:38:44 pm
I was also confused till about halfway through thinking this was Ray, and I don't have the excuse of Nyquil.

Perhaps this is because I am A Lady, but I am not upset that he did not resort to violence. I am curious to learn where this new attitude leads to and came from.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: jaydub on April 08, 2014, 03:11:19 pm
I am delighted that his ride is an early 70's Mach 1 Mustang.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: nDed on April 08, 2014, 04:05:38 pm
I'm imagining Ramses gritting his teeth and having neck veins like Henry Rollins in the last two panels.

This really is the age of the distracted driver. Yesterday some lady on a cell phone tried to squeeze in beside me to make a right turn at a single lane 6-way stop. Didn't even stop to check for other cars, just made her turn as soon as I started crossing.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: pmcd9 on April 08, 2014, 04:18:59 pm
This really is the age of the distracted driver.

We're really fast approaching the end of the driving era. Soon cars will drive themselves freeing us to text or whatever.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: jaydub on April 08, 2014, 04:56:47 pm
I used to doubt this, but these days it seems more and more imminent. From what I hear from traffic engineers, this will actually be a big boon for jams which are triggered more often than not by bad driving decisions or behavior (not by accidents).
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: pmcd9 on April 08, 2014, 05:03:40 pm
Once self driving cars become the norm they will likely outlaw human driven vehicles.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: theinevitable on April 08, 2014, 05:27:01 pm
I am on the fence about that. I really don't like driving, especially on highways, and would love to be able to just get in the car, say "go to work using the fastest route," and eat a sandwich. On the other hand, sometimes I enjoy driving aimlessly around town, or taking the scenic route when going to a familiar destination, and I can't imagine saying "go to Karl's house, but choose a new route." Maybe I would get over that and it would find me some cool sights to see.

I do not really understand violent anger except when I am at work. There was one day where I was on some (prescribed, not working correctly) drugs that made me so mad, and every customer seemed like they were begging to get beat. I almost asked to go home early because I felt so agitated all day. Being angry is exhausting.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: nDed on April 08, 2014, 05:34:30 pm
I am on the fence about that. I really don't like driving, especially on highways, and would love to be able to just get in the car, say "go to work using the fastest route," and eat a sandwich. On the other hand, sometimes I enjoy driving aimlessly around town, or taking the scenic route when going to a familiar destination, and I can't imagine saying "go to Karl's house, but choose a new route." Maybe I would get over that and it would find me some cool sights to see.

You'd probably have to undergo a strict licensing exam in order to have the manual steering column installed on your Google Autocar for use only on non-freeway traffic. Human operated cars will become a leisure/luxury item, and rich people will buy up huge tracts of land in order to build private race tracks and exclusive driving clubs.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: theinevitable on April 08, 2014, 07:33:58 pm
I take it back, I have no conflict here. The thought of biking down the street without worrying about someone creaming me is worth giving up free-drive days.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on April 08, 2014, 08:31:56 pm
I want to hear Samuel L. Jackson read Ramses' part in this strip.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: jaydub on April 08, 2014, 10:24:11 pm
The rebels can drive lane splitting motorcycles.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on April 09, 2014, 12:33:37 am
You'd probably have to undergo a strict licensing exam in order to have the manual steering column installed on your Google Autocar for use only on non-freeway traffic. Human operated cars will become a leisure/luxury item, and rich people will buy up huge tracts of land in order to build private race tracks and exclusive driving clubs.

If you think about it, wealth has always been about purchasing the right to resist change. When we switched from hunting and gathering to agriculture, the right to hunt was reserved for kings and lords. The rich are equestrian in a world which has no room for hosss. The rich can have assistants rather than be directly contactable. Even in ancient Rome, the most wealthy patrician families kept this veneer of living in pre-Republican times, maintaining weird and esoteric rituals that were remnants of Bronze Age practices. (cf. Carmen Salieri)
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: Ben-San on April 10, 2014, 05:45:56 am
If you think about it, wealth has always been about purchasing the right to resist change. When we switched from hunting and gathering to agriculture, the right to hunt was reserved for kings and lords. The rich are equestrian in a world which has no room for hosss. The rich can have assistants rather than be directly contactable. Even in ancient Rome, the most wealthy patrician families kept this veneer of living in pre-Republican times, maintaining weird and esoteric rituals that were remnants of Bronze Age practices. (cf. Carmen Salieri)

Wealth has also been about purchasing the right to change before others. Going back to the hoss and the Romans, the rich also had hosss before there was room for hosss - when they were a luxury that were only useful for going somewhere fast or riding in combat, before they were useful as work animals. The rich got cars before they were a necessity, phones before they were a necessity, computers and cell phones before they were a necessity.

You're not wrong, of course, it stretches in both directions - but it might be more accurate to say that being rich is about purchasing the right to the lifestyle you choose rather than the lifestyle you need.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: doomglobe on April 10, 2014, 12:28:48 pm
I needed to watch this (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEH9Zwo8JEM) to scratch the itch that strip left. Now that I have, I hope Robert Loggia can do Ramses' voice in the animated series.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: wombat on April 10, 2014, 12:56:52 pm
Ben-san!
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on April 11, 2014, 07:05:57 pm
Off topic, perhaps, but it seems as if the ol 'Stad has all but entirely given up on the character twitters. A shame, if only because it's another thing with potential that just didn't happen.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on May 09, 2014, 02:37:40 am
Just a reminder that it's now been over a month since the last Achewood cartoon.

I'll probably be back in another month with a very similar post.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: AugustWest on May 09, 2014, 03:06:31 am
Just a reminder that it's now been over a month since the last Achewood cartoon.

I'll probably be back in another month with a very similar post.

Yes, but think of the soda.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 09, 2014, 02:19:50 pm
Onstad should just work up the Penny-Teodor wedding finale strip and be done with it.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: jaydub on May 09, 2014, 04:48:00 pm
I'll probably be back in another month with a very similar post.
Feel free to stick around in the meantime, bust Inev's chops, and tell Ash what a low fellow he is.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: jaydub on June 18, 2014, 09:02:27 pm
They give you a white shirt with long sleeves
Tied around you're back, you're treated like thieves
Drug you up because they're lazy
It's too much work to help a crazy
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on June 19, 2014, 01:42:22 am
The pile of discontinued plot threads exceeds Olympus in height. I wonder what it feels like to be an Onstad, pushing a Sisyphean clump of discarded papers up a mountain of his own making, drunk and sweaty and yelling something about organic small-batch birch beer.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: wombat on June 19, 2014, 02:31:35 am
You know, I'd forgotten that we got some new strips for a bit there. Just as well I guess.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: AKKOLADE on November 19, 2014, 09:12:05 pm
At least the current pause is because Onstad got a real job and not just because he's the guy who sucks
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: wombat on November 20, 2014, 12:55:52 am
Pause, yeah. That's what it is. A pause.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: pmcd9 on November 20, 2014, 01:36:19 am
Yeah, making craft soda, that's a real job.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: wombat on November 20, 2014, 03:24:33 am
He got a real job too with an ad agency. I wonder if it's interfering with the craft soda business.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on April 08, 2015, 03:53:38 am
It has been ONE YEAR since the last Achewood.

I don't remember how long it's been since I've been around.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: wombat on April 08, 2015, 02:47:06 pm
It has been ONE YEAR since the last Achewood.

I don't remember how long it's been since I've been around.
July 23, 2014

I believe he's left the job at the ad agency mentioned in my post above, there was something on Twitter about his last day of work. I guess not because he wanted more time for cartooning?
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on April 09, 2015, 06:27:50 pm
Yeah ol' 'Pop Art' seems to have deleted his profile on their website. First the lack of soda, and now this. I guess I just hope the guy is 'okay.'
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: AKKOLADE on April 23, 2015, 11:10:32 am
I still don't think Onstad owes us anything.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: wombat on April 23, 2015, 12:02:47 pm
I still don't think Onstad owes us anything.

He doesn't. But we can dream.
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: Limmo on April 25, 2015, 03:18:47 am
i think there's an everly brothers song there
Title: Re: Apr 07 2014 - A wreath of your own evisceration
Post by: jaydub on April 30, 2015, 03:29:47 pm
Good to see you, Limmo!