The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: Asherdan on July 10, 2014, 10:13:14 pm

Title: Portland Soda Works
Post by: Asherdan on July 10, 2014, 10:13:14 pm
(https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s---uBhIrEa--/oqil2ysvksn6vmluk2of.gif)
Title: Soda Topic
Post by: wombat on July 10, 2014, 11:34:43 pm
OK, Portland people, you gotta go find this stuff and report back.
Title: Portland Soda Works
Post by: pmcd9 on July 10, 2014, 11:58:44 pm
Starting a new topic for this because it deserves a topic of it's own.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: wombat on July 11, 2014, 01:07:37 am
You're right. At least I hope it does and this isn't the last we hear of it.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: pmcd9 on July 11, 2014, 04:47:10 am
You're right. At least I hope it does and this isn't the last we hear of it.

They are in "stealth mode" so your guess is as good as mine.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: pmcd9 on July 11, 2014, 10:25:30 pm
I'm really grossed out by the word mouthfeel.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: wombat on July 11, 2014, 10:41:35 pm
I could swear I remember he said on Facebook he was looking for a designer but if he didn't design that label I'll eat my hat. Oh wait - of course - he never read any of the messages from designers who were interested, like he never read my message when he asked if anyone knew an agent who'd be interested in his work.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: Turbo Ninja on July 14, 2014, 08:19:17 pm
The whole motif makes me think that I'm drinking house soda from Cartilage Head's fridge.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: wombat on July 16, 2014, 12:03:12 pm
I guess this is where to put this, for those of you who don't follow the man on the Facebook.

Quote
Six months ago I joined Portland-based interactive marketing agency Pop Art, Inc., and currently serve as their Senior Art Director. You see, the opportunity to work alongside my old college chum Steve Rosenbaum—one of the most principled, intelligent, and visionary businessmen I have ever met—arose, and was too good to pass up. Here at the half-year mark I can say with all confidence that I will be here indefinitely, hence my announcement.

For those who haven't tl;dr'd yet, this means I oversee the creative direction of apps, sites, strategies, and "all the rest" for both Fortune 500 and mid-sized clients. After a castabout creative career that began in advertising in the mid-90s—and has spanned Silicon Valley start-ups, cartooning, television, radio, print, merchandising, journalism, food product development, and, and, and—I've returned to the game. I'm extremely happy with this turn of events, as now that the old tresses are properly salted and peppered, people finally listen to my ideas about how, for example, their logo shouldn't be six dogs purchasing commodity fiberboard futures in a life raft.

So, that's my latest. How about you?

I owe everyone an explanation of my current thinking about the future of Achewood, but that's a different undertaking of a post entirely.
Best,
/C

(PS: "Like/follow" Pop Art and you will, with some regularity, see unusual pictures of me staged to look like a decent human being. Then come back in September when the new Pop Art website I designed launches—it's a two-knee doozy.)
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 16, 2014, 12:52:46 pm
Maybe he'll start a new arc in which Ray opens an artisanal soda company and hires the entire gang. Wacky hijinks ensue.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: AugustWest on July 16, 2014, 02:04:08 pm
Sigh.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: wombat on July 16, 2014, 02:42:12 pm
You know, I am good with this, because no matter how stupid this may be, I was not only sad that there was no Achewood, I was sad to think that someone who had created something that meant so much to me might be having a terrible life. Looking at the company's Facebook page he seems to be having a blast, so now I only have to be sad about the thing that it makes sense for me to be sad about.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: pmcd9 on July 16, 2014, 07:21:43 pm
"I guess I owe everyone an explanation of my current thinking about the future of Achewood, but fuck it.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: Turbo Ninja on July 18, 2014, 01:08:07 pm
"I guess I owe everyone an explanation of my current thinking about the future of Achewood, but fuck it.

TOMORROW, of course.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: jaydub on July 21, 2014, 08:59:28 pm
TOMORROW, of course.
He'll write a couple paragraphs, then post before a conclusion is reached.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: Victoria Waterfield on July 24, 2014, 02:27:47 am
I mean, I bet we all have moved on from some of our stuff from a decade ago.

(or at least, we should have)

*wears hat for Darlene*
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: wombat on August 15, 2014, 11:39:10 am
http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/eat-and-drink/articles/portland-soda-works-geeks-out-on-pop-september-2014 (http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/eat-and-drink/articles/portland-soda-works-geeks-out-on-pop-september-2014)
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: AugustWest on August 15, 2014, 02:21:56 pm
http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/eat-and-drink/articles/portland-soda-works-geeks-out-on-pop-september-2014 (http://www.portlandmonthlymag.com/eat-and-drink/articles/portland-soda-works-geeks-out-on-pop-september-2014)

"crafts intricate sarsaparilla- and cola-inspired flavor puzzles"

I am not a violent man, but that description makes me want to punch both Onstad and the pissant who wrote that sentence directly in the throat. 
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: wombat on August 15, 2014, 04:33:36 pm
Yeah yeah but...

Quote
Onstad says he turned to soda after years of heavy drinking. But he was soon disappointed in his nonalcoholic beverage options. “I’d be having a $150 dinner and it would be, ‘Do you want milk or Diet RC?’” he remembers. “I was like, ‘Are you kidding me?’

This is an actual problem that needs a solution.... or maybe it did a few years ago. Now, restaurants I go to that charge that much usually have bartenders who are willing to make fancy nonalcoholic drinks. Sometimes they'll even have one on the menu. It's easy for them to do now since the trend is to having all kinds of handmade syrups and fresh ingredients like ginger and mint and so on.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: wombat on August 15, 2014, 04:38:39 pm
I managed to kind of miss the sentence you mention on first reading, this was the one that made me want to punch someone:
Quote
Lightly bitter kola nut gets dressed up with spicy lemongrass, holy basil, and cold-press coffee, plus a few “top secret” flourishes.
But that's not the sentence as much as the excruciating trendiness of the actual recipe.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: robocop on September 27, 2014, 07:27:11 am
SO and I are planning a Portland trip before the end of the year, and I've already colored my request to tickle my tongue at one of the serving establishments. I do wonder if they'll sell full bottles for keeping, or if it is on tap only.

OT: Also, Hi Everybody! Been lurking in the 4 years since joining TOUAMB and my last posts. Still searching high and low for a copy of the existing cookbook. The PDF is neat, but I wanna feel it in my hands. I think the fact that not a single one has popped up on eBay is a testament to how dear they are held.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: jaydub on September 29, 2014, 05:11:21 pm
Hi Robocop, welcome to less lurk mode.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: ianmalcolm2 on September 29, 2014, 10:25:45 pm
and i thought i was winning lurk mode.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: pmcd9 on September 30, 2014, 02:57:33 am
Hey, coming out of the woodwork here. What's up homies!!!
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: wombat on September 30, 2014, 12:24:10 pm
What this board needs is more lurkers who go to Portland and drink soda and report back.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: pmcd9 on September 30, 2014, 04:04:54 pm
What this board needs is more lurkers who go to Portland and drink soda and report back.

Werd!
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: wombat on February 07, 2015, 01:59:34 pm
If you miss those Onstad turns of phrase, couple of these blog posts for his company are entertaining
https://www.popart.com/blog/chris-onstad (https://www.popart.com/blog/chris-onstad)

However, I happened to find these because he tweeted yesterday about his last day of work, so I guess there won't be any more?

(I didn't know where to put this, so I put it here in case he's going in for soda full time.)
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on February 07, 2015, 05:29:32 pm
If you miss those Onstad turns of phrase, couple of these blog posts for his company are entertaining
https://www.popart.com/blog/chris-onstad (https://www.popart.com/blog/chris-onstad)
So does this mean I can hire him to print a cookbook? I wonder what the going rate is. I got my pdf printed at Staples for a couple dollars, but that is a sorry excuse.
Title: Re: Portland Soda Works
Post by: wombat on February 07, 2015, 07:15:53 pm
That man is on some kind of caffeine infused butterfly trail. He's jumping more than a cricket on a hot-plate. That man is wearing himself some eldritch-cursed dancing shoes. Even when he sticks himself in one place he vibrates at the frequency of cats and dogs.

None of this is necessarily a bad thing.

thank goodness because I thought you were describing me.