The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on July 22, 2014, 01:05:16 am

Title: A First World Pixie Problem
Post by: pmcd9 on July 22, 2014, 01:05:16 am
I have tried and failed on numerous occasions in the past to like the Pixies. Most notably a couple of years ago when some of my friends were involved in a musical (http://touamb.com/index.php?topic=5780.0) based on the life of Herman Brood inspired by an album by Frank Black.

I tried again this past weekend. On Weird Al's new album (http://youtu.be/bwvlbJ0h35A) there is a style pastiche of The Pixies and I love it. So I listened to The Pixies for two hours on Sunday and nothing. It  just ain't happening. the only reason I'm trying so hard is because it seems like a band I should like. Huh? Anyway, I guess I only love the Pixies when it's been filtered through the mind of Weird Al.
Title: Re: A First World Pixie Problem
Post by: theinevitable on July 22, 2014, 01:55:38 am
I hate weird al and love the pixies, so I guess it takes all kinds.

which albums have you guys tried? All of em?
Title: Re: A First World Pixie Problem
Post by: wombat on July 22, 2014, 01:07:16 pm
Inev doesn't like music that is fun.
Title: Re: A First World Pixie Problem
Post by: theinevitable on July 22, 2014, 01:53:26 pm
The pixies are extremely fun! I actually think the thing that sets them apart from other similar-sounding bands is that they are having fun and being a little silly. Usually the thing missing from bands that "sound like the Pixies" is that bouncy rhythm and sense of humor.

I am also getting nostalgic for They Might Be Giants lately. But I'm scared that if I actually listen to the CD, as opposed to just "hearing" it in my head, it won't be as good as I remember.
Title: Re: A First World Pixie Problem
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 22, 2014, 02:52:41 pm
I have heard and enjoyed numerous individual Pixies songs, but oddly enough don't own any of their albums.

This is probably my favorite song of theirs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cN4V5XjyR6s
Pretty sure I played this on my college radio show without edits, figuring that no one who would be upset by it could actually understand that he said "Oh kiss me cunt, oh kiss me cock."
Title: Re: A First World Pixie Problem
Post by: jaydub on July 22, 2014, 06:48:40 pm
Only very tangentially related, but the Dropkick Murphys are great fun.  I even listen to them at times of the year unrelated to St. Patrick's Day.
Title: Re: A First World Pixie Problem
Post by: pmcd9 on July 22, 2014, 11:34:31 pm
I hate weird al and love the pixies, so I guess it takes all kinds.

which albums have you guys tried? All of em?

I have Doolittle and Wave of Mutilation, which is a best of album. But seriously, if you hate Weird Al your opinion on the matter is null and void.
Title: Re: A First World Pixie Problem
Post by: KeithHernandez on July 23, 2014, 07:31:16 am
Surfer Rosa is the best.

This is my favorite Pixies song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYpCDVetLCM

or this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ve9P3AMbaA