The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: miles on August 11, 2014, 09:55:07 pm
-
Time to schedule the draft I think. Let's do this.
-
I'm in. I know Kaitlin wants another bite of the apple as well.
-
Invite e-mails just went out.
The floor is now open for suggestions on a draft date.
-
Any desire to change format from snake to something more confusing?
-
Invite e-mails just went out.
The floor is now open for suggestions on a draft date.
Does Sunday afternoon work for people?
And I vote for snake.
-
People are always going on about the awesomeness of the auction format. I have no idea, never having done one.
-
I understand snake is much simpler which is why I think it's best for our ragtag league. But I'm open to the auction format if it's what the people want.
Commish, what do you think?
-
I know that I am now blocked from Yahoo Fantasy Sports at work, so that kind of sucks.
I also know that I am against any sort of draft format that doesn't feature an auto-draft option. "Snake?" "Auction?" I know not the meaning of these terms, and cannot yet be bothered to click over there and look them up. But as long as I can autopick, I'm cool.
-
Hey, we had our draft! How about that.
At least I didn't accidentally draft Aaron Hernandez.
-
Hard Knocks has done nothing to ease my concerns over Matt Ryan's talents.
-
Unless Wee-Man blows up tonight, this round is going to Ash.
-
Holy fuck*ng Nostradamus, Batman. 35 points from Sproles! 1-1, here I come.
-
Picked a good week to start Matt Ryan over Robert Wilson.
-
Yes. Yes you did.
Julio Jones had a pretty good night too.
-
I find myself up early on Sunday and Football doesn't start for a couple of hours yet so I'm looking for some pregame action. I turn to the NFL website. Appears they have a Sunday pregame show just like all the networks. They all have a panel of meathead ex players saying a whole lot of nothin'. Obviously Fox is the gold standard with Terry Bradshaw, and Howie Long, Jimmy Johnson. It's a steep drop off from there. CBS with Dan Marino, Shannon Sharpe, and Bill Cower are ok, but the rest is just shit. The group on the NFL network including Kurt Warner and Warren Sapp are just the worst. Thoughts?
-
Picked a good week to start Matt Ryan over Robert Wilson.
Old Robert had a pretty good game too in the end, except that pick. Great TD drive in OT.
-
I find myself up early on Sunday and Football doesn't start for a couple of hours yet so I'm looking for some pregame action. I turn to the NFL website. Appears they have a Sunday pregame show just like all the networks. They all have a panel of meathead ex players saying a whole lot of nothin'. Obviously Fox is the gold standard with Terry Bradshaw, and Howie Long, Jimmy Johnson. It's a steep drop off from there. CBS with Dan Marino, Shannon Sharpe, and Bill Cower are ok, but the rest is just shit. The group on the NFL network including Kurt Warner and Warren Sapp are just the worst. Thoughts?
I think you're right.
-
I wish I had the option to turn off commentary during games without losing the game sounds. My wife and I amuse each other with requoting particularly insightful analysis like, "You can't hang onto the ball that long and not expect to take a sack!"
-
f-f-f-f-f-f-f-uuuuuuuck!
I trust you're referring to my Monday night comeback. Thank you Alshon Jeffrey.
-
Poor Ash; victory snatched away by Monday night 2 weeks in a row.
-
I am tied for first?!? How is that possible?
-
I had the choice of two quarterbacks yesterday. Cam Newton or Roethlisbgrger. Cam's projected to do a little better, so I go with the odds. Why not?
Newton: -3.90
Big Ben: 60.30
sigh.
-
I don't know what you're talking about. This league is GREAT.
-
This league is all that keeps me from having delusions about my skill at fake football. And we only have 8 teams this year, which is supposed to be easier. We have pretty deep benches though, I guess.
-
Who had Aaron Rogers this week?
-
Who had Aaron Rogers this week?
That would be Owensboro Greg. Surprisingly he's only leading his matchup by 5 points, but it looks like it'll be enough to win.
-
Curse you, Aaron Rodgers! Cursing the Bears defense would be redundant. Keuckly could somehow score negative points, I guess.
-
This is shaping up to be the most anti-climactic regular season we've had in a while. There are FIVE weeks to go, and three of our eight teams are all but eliminated from playoff contention. And the team in 5th place is a full two games back of 4th.
-
Well, we only had 8 this year, which makes the playoff hunt geometrically less interesting.
-
The loss by MJW means the playoff field is set. Lygars (Ash), Owensboro (Greg), Monkeys (Nabu), Banana Town (yours truly). Seedings to be resolved after next week, though I don't think they mean much.
-
I will remind you that the 1 and 2 seeds actually made it to the fantasy baseball final this year. So it's not an automatic curse.
-
State of my roster right now: 6 guys Probable, 6 guys Questionable, 1 out.
"Probable" means they will almost certainly play, but jeez.
-
Footbaw semi-finals:
1 Lygars vs. 4 Monkeys
2 Owensboro vs. 3 Banana Town
Good luck, all ye old ball coaches.
-
Scores after Sunday's games, and remaining players going into Monday night:
Banana Town 82.88 (the Denver law firm of Thomas & Thomas)
Owensboro 99.63 (Denver RB CJ Anderson)
Yahoo gives Owensboro a 67% probability of hanging on.
Monkeys 106.3 (Andy Dalton)
Lygars 106.77 (Pacman Jones and Emmanuel Sanders)
Yahoo likes the Lygars, giving them 67%.
On a personal note, holy SHIT I left a lot of points on the bench. Started Brees (who went negative) instead of Rivers (who put up 25). Frank Gore was listed as out earlier in the week, so i sat him; instead he played and put up 27. Torrey Smith has been utterly unreliable but this week he put up 20. I should be winning this thing going away.
Last night I watched Cardinals-Seahawks and focused on my DL, Calias Campbell, whenever AZ was on defense. That guy did jack shit, got thoroughly blocked on every play.
Oh well. At least no one got snakebit by Andrew Luck's no good horrible very bad day. Good luck everybody.
-
Semi-final results:
Owensboro 121, Banana Town 104
Lygars 142, Monkeys 124
Chalk holds, #1 Lygars vs. #2 Owensboro for the champeenship. Nabu and I shall wrassle for third place.
-
How the hell did you end up with both of them, is what I wanna know.
-
The Texans can still make the playdowns if they win on Sunday and about half a dozen teams lose in their favor.
-
Your 2014 fantasy footbaw final:
Owensboro 167, Lygars 106. Owensboro Greg wins his second title in three years, thanks largely to Aaron Rodgers (226 yds, 2 pass TDs, 1 rush TD, 0 INT, 27 FP) and CJ Anderson (87 yds, 3 TDs, 27 FP). Ash was let down by his superstar QBs (started Brady, 1.5 FP; benched P. Manning, 1.6 FP), but it's his third top-three finish in the 8 years of our league.
Third place: Banana Town 115, Monkeys 93. Also my third top-three finish, though I've not won a champeenship.
Thanks for a good season everyone.
-
Hooray! I clawed my way outta the cellar!
-
I don't usually think much of it when fans blame the refs for a loss. But some of those calls late in the Dallas-Detroit game were mighty weird.
No matter, though, as Dallas will get destroyed in Green Bay next week.
-
I always want the Cowboys to lose, but it'll be better in Green Bay. Looking forward to that game.
-
No matter, though, as Dallas will get destroyed in Green Bay next week.
Well, they didn't exactly get destroyed. And the Packers benefited from a shady call much the way the Cowboys did last week. Well, not exactly shady; I think the call was correct within the context of the rules, but the rules themselves are messed up because that should have been a catch.
-
Rules need to be consistent with reality. Anyone who saw that play (who wasn't a Packer, or one of their homers) thought it was a catch. A great catch, and a body sacrificing stretch for the goal line that came up short. When interpreting a rule results in an outcome that contradicts common sense, its obvious where the fault lies and that something needs to be done about it. I wish they'd shown us Jerry Jones' reaction though. That would have been TV worth watching.
-
I think they made the right call, but that rule is fucked up.
-
Still, this clutch of megalo-business carpetbagging motherfuckers is going to foist a team in here and none of the choices are worth a shit. They aren't talking expansion, so it'll be some
Jaguars?
Your points on stadium development being a way for rich people to get richer are well taken. The jobs they generate aren't that great, the development around the stadium doesn't always happen as planned, and especially for the NFL not everyone can afford to partake in the experience.
-
It's not the same as the joy of seeing Jerry Jones' eyes pop out of his head, since The Man isn't in the shot, but this reaction shot of his owner's box is almost as sweet
(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7GnGLfCcAA0dlI.jpg:large)
That's New Jersey governor Chris Christie in the red shirt.
Recently enhanced version of photo:
(https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B7G3MnECUAEUS9x.jpg:large)
-
Also, I am completely turned off by the idea that two people going to a game is gonna run me $200 for tickets, $15 to park and at least $30 to eat anything. That is just another big NOT FOR YOU sign that turns switches me completely off.
Haha! It'll take at least 5 years to get the stadium finished, so those prices will double by then.
Also, speaking as a guy whose in-laws have Rams season tickets that I get to take advantage of occasionally, Fuck Kroenke.
-
I am just not sure how they actually made this happen. The game balls are inspected by the ref crew at some point before kickoff. If the Pats somehow deflated the balls or swapped them out between that inspection and the start of the game, well, that's some bullshit. If the refs inspected them, found underinflated balls and went "meh," then whose problem is that?
Easy fix: have the league provide all game balls to spec, don't give them teams access to them before the game.
-
I haven't been following this super closely, but I'm still not seeing the harm. Doesn't the balls condition affect both teams equally? Unless this somehow only affected the balls used by the Pats. In which case, tampering with the equipment could benefit one team more than the oher
-
Each team supplies the balls it uses on offense. So yeah, it can benefit one team. Of course, that very rule seems designed to let each team have the balls it wants.
-
Right - this situation was bound to happen given that setup. I suppose if the Pats practice all the time with underinflated balls (conceivable, if this was an equipment manager/coaching scheme) then they wouldn't necessarily be aware of the situation, but with the thousands of touches a player would have with normal and flat balls I can't believe they would be unaware of the situation if just game day balls were affected.
Also:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybbqAXMu5VQ
-
That was a great game but, boy-howdy, were the commercials a big fat bag of cow-flop.
Nationnnwiddeee your kids will dieeee