The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: elfbabe on January 21, 2004, 11:18:36 pm

Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: elfbabe on January 21, 2004, 11:18:36 pm
Well, I'm disappointed. I really wanted another Roomba strip.

...

Still good, though.
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: jough on January 21, 2004, 11:22:47 pm
"I could hear her humming 'Here Comes the Bride'..."

:lol:
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: V-Adore on January 21, 2004, 11:26:27 pm
I love this strip almost entirely. It's a beautiful thing, and it's totally Achewoodian, for the lack of a better word -- a perfect blend of whimsy and mundanity.

That, and the entire idea that bass in the Acheverse also talk is so absolutely perfect.
Title: Re: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: miles on January 21, 2004, 11:26:41 pm
I don't know, it's about time for a new character.  And maybe Onstad can market a Barry Bass to hang on your wall.  It will talk about relationship problems all day (instead of singing) and will come with a pack of Guinness.

This addition to the Beef and Teodor talking action figures, with roomba bases.  He'll make a killing.

Beef looks so sad in the first two panels.  I just want to hug the guy.  Barry arrived at just the right moment.

Quote from: "elfbabe"
Well, I'm disappointed. I really wanted another Roomba strip.

...

Still good, though.
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: slink on January 21, 2004, 11:45:28 pm
Quote from: "jough"
"I could hear her humming 'Here Comes the Bride'..."


Took me a scarily long time (well OK about two minutes) to place that.
Stunning.
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: CortJstr on January 21, 2004, 11:56:03 pm
I just wonder what Barry would've done had there been bait. Probably just ignored it and left it to the more Ray-like giraffe, I suspect.
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: Ryan on January 22, 2004, 01:17:34 am
in the few minutes he's been online, i have come to love barry bass
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on January 22, 2004, 01:57:19 am
Very nice strip.  Indeed, Achewoodian.

It's got that sombre feeling of unexpectedness.  A bass is talking.  Beef accepts this and responds casually, of course.  It's great.  Think he'll stick around longer than a three strip storyline?
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 22, 2004, 03:12:49 am
giraffe got beer!
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: andalucia on January 22, 2004, 03:26:55 am
Yes, I like this giraffe.  An unassuming fellow.
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: pmcd9 on January 22, 2004, 04:05:58 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
I just wonder what Barry would've done had there been bait. Probably just ignored it and left it to the more Ray-like giraffe, I suspect.


Barry actually seemed concerned that Beef didn't have any bait on his hook.  I mean that's why he came up initially, to give him a heads up right?  I don't think Bass eat worms anyway, and aren't they pretty hard to catch?  Now we know why, they are a lot smarter than we suspected.

Oh BTW, I loved this strip.  Best of the year so far.  And i'm not a fawner either yahnai.  Check the archives, I rarely get involved in the daily stroke fest over the latest strip.  So when I say a strip is good you know it's coming from a special place.  Peace out beotch.

~Paul
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 22, 2004, 05:03:50 am
A Bass + Guiness = a Black and Tan, right? Weird.

I think Beef should net this bad boy so Ray can grill some Thick Bass Steaks.
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: starlight on January 22, 2004, 05:37:08 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

I think Beef should net this bad boy so Ray can grill some Thick Bass Steaks.


Aaack!  no!  not after we already got to know it!

---

Anyway, I, too, was slightly disappointed there wasn't more roomba action, but I admit the joke could've been dragged into the ground which wouldn't have been so great either.

Do indeed love this strip :D
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: jough on January 22, 2004, 06:39:48 am
Wow, I didn't think of the Bass and Guiness action.  

Of course, I shouldn't be surprised that Onstad gets his inspiration from High Spirits.
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: V-Adore on January 22, 2004, 06:44:50 am
I'm sorry, the entire issue of talking animals having perfectly civil conversations with other talking animals and then eating them is just sort of creepy. I think it's residual backwash from "Kevin & Kell," bless its rotten, blackened little heart.

Anyway! I am returning to a world paradigm in which Barry Bass is not eaten by Roast Beef.  This is all.
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: CortJstr on January 22, 2004, 06:35:13 pm
What about the cows at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe?
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: V-Adore on January 22, 2004, 06:48:14 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
What about the cows at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe?

That gets an exemption based on being intentionally creepy and also hilarious as hell.

I would make a similar exemption for Barry Bass consumption provided that Barry elaborated to Beef which of his filets would be most appetizing in which sauce.
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: CortJstr on January 22, 2004, 06:49:16 pm
Dammit now I want sushi
Title: Barry Bass (Wed 21 Jan)
Post by: slink on January 22, 2004, 07:09:08 pm
OK, given this it reminds me, as things do fairly often, of my parents hippy-self-sufficiency type days, when they kept goats.
Now when I was about 5 or 6, we ended up with a kid, who my family called Kid Cutlet. He lasted for a short while, during which he would run around making trouble.
He was at my birthday party in fact, and spent it running around knocking over all my similarly young friends.

Then he was slaughtered. And while I'm sure he tasted very good (I can't remember, though my family say he did) I am still troubled by the fact we ate something with a name. Something where you say 'we ate him' as opposed to 'we ate it'.