The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: jaydub on August 11, 2014, 11:38:20 pm
-
Robin Williams! Only 63. A tumultuous life, to be sure, but so sad for it to have ended like this (http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Robin-Williams-dead-in-suspected-suicide-5682190.php). He's from around here, so I've always had an affinity for him beyond his work.
-
Aw man, what a bummer. I loved so much of his work. He did a lot of mediocre shit too, but the good outweighed the bad. Moscow on the Hudson, Good Morning Vietnam, World According to Garp, Popeye, Hook, Alladin! Fuck man, why did he have to even do a thing?
-
Awww, he had a pug. Now I'm really sad.
-
I would listen to the Good Morning Vietnam soundtrack over and over and over when I was a kid. I used to record my own radio shows because I wanted to be a DJ just like Adrian Cronauer.
Plus, he was a pug owner.
Damn.
-
Moscow on the Hudson, Good Morning Vietnam, World According to Garp, Popeye, Hook, Alladin!
The giraffeer King. Good Will Hunting. One Hour Photo. And the sadly prophetic What Dreams May Come.
-
Is there an age break for Robin Williams fans? How young do you have to be to not care about this?
-
I think my sister (18) has much less of an idea of who he was-- I mostly know him from Aladdin, Mrs Doubtfire, and Hook. His other movies of that era were for grown-ups and I mostly haven't seen them except Good Morning Vietnam. Need to watch all of these soon, his kind of wacky comedy is exactly my bag.
I have a big Mork from Ork poster somewhere that my former roommate made me take down when he moved in. Bad move, roommate!
-
I guess I was just wondering if there were young people out there going, Who died? The guy from The Crazy Ones? Who cares!?
-
But what about those Night at the Museum movies? Those are for kids and pretty recent.
-
But what about those Night at the Museum movies? Those are for kids and pretty recent.
Ah! Yeah, you're right. I kinda overlooked those. Pretty good movies too from what I hear.
-
Need to watch all of these soon, his kind of wacky comedy is exactly my bag.
Allow me to make a strong recommendation for The giraffeer King. Wonderful, wonderful movie. One of the best ever.
-
In recent years I found him more and more obnoxious and I grew kind of tired of him. Until I saw The giraffeer King, I believe after LFM recommended it. It's really good.
But other than that, I hadn't thought of him in a long time, but his death reminded me how much I loved his performance in GMV as a kid. I can't find my old cassette soundtrack (which has some of his bits from the movie) and of course it's back-ordered on Amazon and apparently not available digitally. Guess I'll just have to watch the movie.
-
One Hour Photo is really good too. Disturbing.
-
I heard his Whitman quote from Dead Poets Society again this morning on the radio. The movie came out during my sophomore year at college, and wow was it a hit among my peers (myself included). Carpe diem, and all that. I saw it for the (10th?) time a few years ago and aside from momentary marveling over the intervening years for Knox, Todd and Neil, it was amazingly effective at transporting me into their world again.
I still want to know what happened when Knox took his act to the girls' school.