The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on August 29, 2014, 04:40:00 am

Title: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on August 29, 2014, 04:40:00 am
Haven't seen any talk about this new Netflix series on Facebook, but I'm here to tell you that it's totally hilarious.

Suck a dick, dumbshits! (http://youtu.be/QxIXxrUQKYw#aid=P-lFGB-p4Lc)
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: nDed on September 04, 2014, 01:48:12 am
I liked it, but I was annoyed when his supposedly 90's-era sitcom was apparently recorded in widescreen. I also watched Maron shortly afterwards, which might have been overdoing it on the neurotic Hollywood burnout front.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on September 04, 2014, 05:56:35 am
I didn't notice that. Thanks a lot nDed, you've ruined it for me.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on February 23, 2016, 02:53:35 am
This looks pretty good (https://youtu.be/QjTYwxs3bK8), but it seems like HBO is trying to play in Netflix' sandbox.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: AugustWest on February 26, 2016, 07:17:01 pm
just so we can gaze into a wavy mirror

It's all we can stand to do.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on February 27, 2016, 08:05:53 pm
I have no idea what a hoopy frood is. Cans for everyone!
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on February 28, 2016, 01:06:05 pm
This looks pretty good (https://youtu.be/QjTYwxs3bK8), but it seems like HBO is trying to play in Netflix' sandbox.

To be fair to HBO it looks like Netflix is playing the same game.  They've hired Judd Apatow to create a poor mans Girls.


Interesting side note. Autocorrect tried to change Apatow to apathy.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: theinevitable on February 28, 2016, 03:40:24 pm
I try to remember that when Parks and Recreation came out, everyone thought it was a poor man's The Office. But it ended up getting great!

...but that Animal show looks horrible.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on March 01, 2016, 03:31:03 am
I try to remember that when Parks and Recreation came out, everyone thought it was a poor man's The Office. But it ended up getting great!

It started off with that same faux documentary style that they employed with The Office so I can see where the comparisons come from. And yes, it's one of the great sitcoms.

I also like that poor mans version has seeped into your lexicon. I hope I had a hand in that.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: theinevitable on March 18, 2016, 01:32:32 am
You might have. I've been posting on here for 10 years... since I was 17. Insane.

Recently joined a weird "indie music discussion" chat and quickly realized I was the oldest person there. It was a shock after 10 years of being the baby here.

(I'm still a baby)
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: jaydub on March 18, 2016, 06:27:06 pm
bestow'd
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on July 16, 2016, 11:54:35 pm
New season drops next Friday! Yay!
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 18, 2016, 12:55:26 pm
I'm fixing to pick this show up. We finally sprung for Netflix and it seems like my kind of thing.

What's weird is I'm actually finding it harder to watch TV now that the kids are older. When they were little, after they were put to bed I could come down and crank through two or three episodes of Louie or Community. Now, even after 10 PM, if they hear the TV on they come wandering down. "Whatcha watching?" As a result I really can't watch anything that's kid-inappropriate (I do watch The Simpsons, thanks to FXX and the DVR, but that averages 1.5 kid-inappropriate jokes per episode). So finding the time is difficult. (See also Carl's Pop Culture Overload Complaint.)
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on July 18, 2016, 08:59:21 pm
What Asherdan said!

Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on July 27, 2016, 12:29:44 pm
Man, season 3 got really dark.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: wombat on July 27, 2016, 01:22:43 pm
Every time I see this thread title I feel like it just has to be a name that one of you made up. But I saw a reference to it in the newspaper this morning so I guess it is for real.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: theinevitable on July 27, 2016, 03:10:07 pm
3rd season was good. I can't decide what I thought about it in comparison to the others though. Maybe fewer laugh-out-loud moments.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 28, 2016, 12:59:44 pm
I've heard much praise for the new season. I'm only 5 eps into season 1 so I've got some catching up to do.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on July 28, 2016, 03:23:54 pm
Yeah, I read something saying it gets really good around the middle of season 1. So the first few episodes have had their moments, but haven't been spectacular overall. But I'm being patient.

I do like that funny people I already know of do almost all the voices. Keith Olbermann as the CNN anchor (who is a whale) made my day. And Patton Oswalt, natch.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: AugustWest on August 09, 2016, 06:58:25 pm
Man, I've only got two episodes left.  I'm at that weird tipping point where I want to watch them, but I don't because then there won't be any more left to watch.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: AugustWest on August 09, 2016, 07:47:10 pm
Loved that one.  It was making me flash on old Pink Panther episodes.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: AugustWest on August 10, 2016, 02:33:16 pm
Oh man.  One episode left and wow.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: theinevitable on August 10, 2016, 05:44:29 pm
I'm the one guy who didn't like the underwater episode at all, huh? Weird.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 18, 2016, 01:39:23 pm
I met Wanda last night. She seems nice. I look forward to Bojack ruining it.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on August 24, 2016, 03:59:45 am
Also; Wanda is a hoot, for sure.

Zing!
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 17, 2016, 12:47:47 pm
Finally finished season 2 last night. Man, that New Mexico episode.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 11, 2017, 12:46:19 pm
hey season 4 is out. I am three episodes in. Kind of a mixed bag thus far.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 13, 2017, 12:48:11 pm
Holy shit my actor friend is on my favorite show!!
https://twitter.com/davesjung/status/907730978432368640
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 14, 2017, 01:50:32 pm
Using the one "fuck" per season really early! I'm a tad disappointed.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: AugustWest on September 14, 2017, 08:33:27 pm
Just watched the Todd episode and found it oddly touching.  Been very pleased with the first three!
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: theinevitable on September 16, 2017, 11:19:46 pm
JESUS that end of last season "you gotta do it every day" plus some recent social foibles plus making a chore-wheel for my roommates AND job rotation for my socialist group combined to make me realize a really stupid attitude I gotta break out of.

I have always prided myself on my ability to impulsively do nice/helpful things. But truly being nice/helpful means breaking past the impulse and deciding to do those things even when you don't feel like it.

I realized this because I felt a weird reluctance to mark that I had done my task on the chore wheel, because it felt "fake" somehow to do the task I was assigned. Rather than waking up a Clean and Organized ("good") person and doing it without being asked. This was so transparently stupid that it broke through 29 years of bad mental habits, just for a moment.

I guess if you had said this out loud to me I would have said "duh I know that." But. This time it really slapped me in the face.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: wombat on September 17, 2017, 12:53:51 am
It would probably be good if all of this stuff you guys are writing convinced me to watch this thing, but I think about it for half a second and then go watch a stupid anime instead.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 17, 2017, 11:44:52 am
It has lots of wacky animal jokes!
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: theinevitable on September 17, 2017, 03:12:43 pm
What stupid anime are you watching? I love those
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: wombat on September 17, 2017, 04:38:21 pm
Not stupid in a good way... Aside from the stupid one, I'm also watching a kind of boring one called Sakura Quest. It's about a bunch of cute girls trying to revive a dying rural town.  One of those topics on Japan would make a cartoon about.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on September 20, 2017, 03:47:31 am
"Thoughts and prayers."

I didn't laugh at this until the next day when I saw someone post it on Facebook. Not ironically, but for real.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 21, 2017, 04:38:40 pm
https://twitter.com/arnettwill/status/910902059162943488
I take this to mean season 5 is in the works.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 21, 2017, 04:43:46 pm
Also https://twitter.com/PFTompkins/status/910901127331299329
https://twitter.com/BoJackhossman/status/910896431933689857
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 26, 2017, 09:27:22 pm
Finished season 4 last night. I know Ash has as well. Who else? Paul, AW? DB?
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: theinevitable on September 27, 2017, 02:49:31 am
I watched it. Good show. I kind of already forget a lot of what happened though. The mom episodes made me want to die.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 27, 2017, 12:13:02 pm
Question: what became of the Sugarman sugar cube company and the associated family fortune? Did Beatrice ever actually inherit it? I don't think that's covered.

I suspect season 5 will give us similar background on Butterscotch. Also, did you notice, when BoJack is going through Bea's things to find the envelope, there's a copy of his dad's book. I predict BoJack will read it, it's actually good, and he tries to get it made into a movie.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: theinevitable on September 28, 2017, 12:45:46 am
Hmm. I did not notice that. Also not sure what happened to the Sugarman Fortune.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: AugustWest on September 29, 2017, 02:07:00 am
Finished it a few days ago -- thought the whole season was very well done.  Ended on an oddly optimistic note.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 20, 2017, 01:41:00 pm
What's Bojack's brand of whiskey? It's there all the time but now I can't think of it or find it on the interwebs.


Answering my own question, finally: Guten Bourbon. The urban German bourbon!
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on December 02, 2017, 04:16:02 am
Question: what became of the Sugarman sugar cube company and the associated family fortune? Did Beatrice ever actually inherit it? I don't think that's covered.

My assumption is that Bojack has already inherited the money. Given his extravagant lifestyle, and they mentioned that his salary for Bojack, at least at the start, was $28.000 per episode, it's clear he would have been broke many years before the show began. It's Sugarman Sugar Cube money he's spending, not Horsin' Around cash.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on September 16, 2018, 03:42:32 pm
I'm loving season 5, but I am pissed I had to wait until episode 9 to see Hollyhock. She was my new favorite character.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: theinevitable on September 16, 2018, 10:49:25 pm
I liked it a lot! Girlfriend was out of town so I finished the whole thing Friday night and Saturday morning.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on September 16, 2018, 11:41:11 pm
Season 5 did not disappoint. I want to talk about my favorite parts, but I'll wait a minute until everybody has had a chance to see it.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on September 16, 2018, 11:42:46 pm
Okay, this is not really a spoiler, Dianne's boobs are bigger than I would have imagined.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on September 17, 2018, 12:22:29 am
Ladies and Gentlemen, Henry Fondle
(https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1891/29790159917_07eef877b3_b.jpg)
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: miles on September 17, 2018, 12:57:06 am
I'm loving season 5, but I am pissed I had to wait until episode 9 to see Hollyhock. She was my new favorite character.

So far I think I prefer season 4 and maybe that's why. Hadn't thought of that.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 17, 2018, 01:57:27 am
She made a brief appearance in episode 1 of this season.

I got through six episodes this weekend. Episodes 2 (the Diane episode) and 5 (the Princess Carolyn episode) are the best so far.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 17, 2018, 12:26:03 pm
Oh, amusing Bojack-related moment from yesterday. I have posted previously about how hard it is to watch TV without the kids wandering in. Yesterday Mrs. del Vaca and the youngest left early for some hoss-related activity, and I figured the oldest (she is 15) would sleep in. So I sat down to watch, but to my surprise she comes downstairs at 9 AM and flops down on the couch. I paused the show momentarily, then I thought "She watches Netflix shows all the time, how bad can it be?" and let it roll again.

It was the episode where Todd meets Yolanda's family, specifically when they first sit down and they all describe their careers. Before long she says "Do we HAVE to watch this?"

I found this amusing. Good job, Yolanda's family, and it's probably a good thing I turned it off at that point.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: theinevitable on September 17, 2018, 06:47:32 pm
Whoa, I knew that voice was familiar: Hollyhock is voiced by a woman i met a few times through a friend who does comedy (she absolutely does not remember me)
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 18, 2018, 05:02:42 pm
Reviewed this thread and found this:

Question: what became of the Sugarman sugar cube company and the associated family fortune? Did Beatrice ever actually inherit it? I don't think that's covered.

OK then.

Also: I have been listening to the official The Good Place podcast, and I would FREAKING PAY ACTUAL MONEY for a similar Bojack podcast, with the actors and crew participating.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on September 20, 2018, 02:00:01 am
Reviewed this thread and found this:

I postulated at the time that the Sugarman fortune was the source of Bojack's great wealth because he would have gone broke long ago if he were living on what he made from Horsin' Around. Of course now he's had huge paydays from Secretariat and his book, but previously... But it turns out there was one aside during the Eulogy episode where Bojack states that his mother spent all the Sugarman money and died in debt. So no, I guess he's not living off the Sugarman money.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 20, 2018, 02:47:45 pm
Yeah, exactly. There's actually a YouTube video that attempts to calculate what Bojack's worth. It was interesting, but it didn't have much to say about syndication and residuals (which I certainly don't know how those work), so it's hard to say it it was at all accurate. Actors tend to make ridiculous amounts of money as it is (my friend who was one of Hollyhock's dads once told me that being "Henchman #3" in some movie would keep him afloat for a surprisingly long time), and to be the lead in a show that ran nine seasons certainly gave Bojack a nice pile of dough.

Got through episode 10 last night, and am psyching myself up for episode 11 since that is usually where something freaking terrible happens.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on September 22, 2018, 04:32:49 pm
to be the lead in a show that ran nine seasons certainly gave Bojack a nice pile of dough.

Season one of Horsin' Around he made 30,000 per episode. Not a ridiculous amount. It would have increased over time, but hard to say how much a middlin' show like Horsin' Around was worth. It ain't Seinfeld.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on October 03, 2018, 05:47:56 am
Press on my friend.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: KeithHernandez on October 06, 2018, 05:33:19 am
I can’t believe I just started watching this.  Like 5 eps in...its great!!
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on October 07, 2018, 05:34:02 am
Yeah, exactly. There's actually a YouTube video that attempts to calculate what Bojack's worth. It was interesting, but it didn't have much to say about syndication and residuals (which I certainly don't know how those work), so it's hard to say it it was at all accurate.

I didn't think about residuals.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: AugustWest on October 19, 2018, 12:30:29 pm
Yeah, there's something to be said for spacing 13 episodes out over a few months rather than a week.

Excellent season though.  Huge lump in my throat at the end.  Something about how the absurd comedy and silly animals takes the edge off the all too sharp drama.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on October 31, 2018, 12:54:20 pm
Not surprised.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/30/netflix-renews-bojack-hossman-for-season-6/

(and of course the URL is wrong, thanks wacky filters)
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on November 02, 2018, 10:07:43 pm
Not surprised.
https://www.engadget.com/2018/10/30/netflix-renews-bojack-hossman-for-season-6/

(and of course the URL is wrong, thanks wacky filters)

Hooray!
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: pmcd9 on November 02, 2018, 10:08:52 pm
Now to wait another year!

Could be worse, it could be Rick and Morty and you'd be waiting upwards of 2 years.
Title: Re: Bojack Hossman
Post by: miles on June 07, 2021, 08:08:38 am
I still haven't finished it. I think I was afraid to watch the last season because I didn't want it to end. I might start over.