The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: pmcd9 on September 22, 2014, 06:12:04 pm

Title: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: pmcd9 on September 22, 2014, 06:12:04 pm
My faithful fire breathing Artcar died in spectacular fashion last week on the way home from an exhibition and parade in Colorado. A lot of people have suggested I do a Kickstarter campaign to finance the repair. I find myself in a quandary. It's a bit of a moral issue for me because I've always been against any Kickstarter that was essentially to finance someone's personal Funtime. I have tried to justify it in my case by telling myself that I've been giving away free entertainment for years. It's true, I've brought a lot of smiles to a lot of faces through the years with Dragonfire. Lots of people love that car.

I guess I'm hoping you'll tell me it's okay to beg for money to repair my car so I can keep having fun.
Title: Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: theinevitable on September 22, 2014, 06:51:07 pm
You're part of a community of fellow art-car people, and you bring them (and other people who see your car) happiness and joy. This isn't a project that sits on your wall, or in your garage-- it's out there engaging people and bringing something weird and cool into a sometimes boring world. You wouldn't be asking for money for something that only benefits you (like your personal, normal car) or something that is going to make you money-- this is about continuing to be part of the community.

The only worry I would have is this: some dickwads are going to feel like you "owe" them.

Some people are grumpy about Kickstarter, and I am trying not to be one of them. I hope I die before I become someone who doesn't want more weird shit in the world. Especially weird shit that knows it's weird shit and not some kind of world-changing cultural happening.

Go for it.
Title: Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: wombat on September 22, 2014, 07:17:41 pm
I think it's OK to beg for money to repair your car so I can keep watching you having fun.

I'm not sure Kickstarter is the right way though. They have a lot of rules. Like you don't get any of the money unless you meet your funding goal. And do you really want to spend a lot of time coming up with and sending rewards to your backers?  But there are lots of other sites now to let people donate to other people for whatever.
Title: Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: pmcd9 on September 22, 2014, 07:27:14 pm
You're part of a community of fellow art-car people, and you bring them (and other people who see your car) happiness and joy. This isn't a project that sits on your wall, or in your garage-- it's out there engaging people and bringing something weird and cool into a sometimes boring world.

Go for it.

I think it's OK to beg for money to repair your car so I can keep watching you having fun.

Thank you for your support.

You wouldn't be asking for money for something that only benefits you (like your personal, normal car) or something that is going to make you money

While I was considering what you had written I was scrolling down my Facebook wall and one of my friends had posted "Ahh this could be the beginning of my gypsy village... Should I start a Kickstart fundraiser thingy?!!! Who is in...a community of like minded artists, musicians, crafters , makers...travellers... And market space..." If none of that made any sense, don't fret, it's all hippy dippy bullshit. This is basically a woman with no shame (also huge titties (https://flic.kr/p/dcLWee)). Plain and simple, what she's talking about is asking for $140,000 to buy herself a home.

The only worry I would have is this: some dickwads are going to feel like you "owe" them.

I could offer a ride to anyone that donates. Oh wait I'll do that now just for asking. Oh wait, I can't!

I'm not sure Kickstarter is the right way though. They have a lot of rules. Like you don't get any of the money unless you meet your funding goal. And do you really want to spend a lot of time coming up with and sending rewards to your backers?  But there are lots of other sites now to let people donate to other people for whatever.

I only used Kickstarter as a generic term for fundraiser site like Kleenix or Q-Tip. I don't know which site I would use.

Thanks!!
Title: Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: pmcd9 on September 22, 2014, 07:55:29 pm
And yeah, that ol' gal is carrying around a helluva bag of hammers, ain't she?

I may or may not have had them smashed into my face a time or two.

Title: Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: jaydub on September 22, 2014, 08:17:13 pm
When I first saw that idea floated on your Facebook post, I immediately thought it was a GREAT idea.  I bet there are a lot of people who would jump at the chance to give back to you, and these fundraising mechanisms just give a seed around which such support can crystallize.  Go for it, and express thanks - but no undue obligation - to those who contribute, and may Dragonfire roam America's backroads for years to come.
Title: Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 22, 2014, 09:07:56 pm
I will gladly pony up some money for my Dragonfire kickstarter. You could offer prints of my Baltimore flaming pole dancer photo as a reward.
Title: Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: pmcd9 on September 22, 2014, 09:14:37 pm
You could offer prints of my Baltimore flaming pole dancer photo as a reward.

That one is a winner.
(https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/251943_348943705180622_1250785009_n.jpg?oh=71ab014ce48762aa4943c0ceff157ee9&oe=54BC89F9&__gda__=1417834864_30a68aa89734f8ee5da3e2d93c09175b)

It's not a stripper pole, she was naked when she got up there.
Title: Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: pmcd9 on September 23, 2014, 03:54:17 am
Here's one you'll like even more.
(https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8020/7653361872_bac7ab0b03_b.jpg)
Title: Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: wombat on September 23, 2014, 03:54:12 pm
That one is truly priceless.
Title: Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: pmcd9 on November 06, 2014, 03:34:52 am
Thanks! It's in great shape again. Should serve me for years to come.
Title: Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: AugustWest on November 06, 2014, 04:31:45 am
Wooo!  Dragonfire lives!  WOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!
Title: Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: wombat on November 06, 2014, 08:47:40 pm
Hooray!
Title: Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: jaydub on November 08, 2014, 09:54:24 pm
Awesome!  I'll head over to Flickr to see if you've posted any pics.
Title: Re: Dragonfire is Dead!
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2014, 05:17:20 am
There will be some pics from last night. Her triumphant return at World Artcar Day fun.