The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: theinevitable on November 20, 2014, 04:59:27 pm

Title: Mike Nichols
Post by: theinevitable on November 20, 2014, 04:59:27 pm
Is dead. I didn't realize he also directed The Birdcage, which I also love, but The Graduate is one of my favorite movies of all time. I remember the first time I watched it. I instantly recognized that so many movies that I enjoyed were just attempts to capture the feeling of that movie-- the angst, the use of music, the visual style. Every use of the "Wes Anderson Effect" is really just imitating this scene. (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12fsba_the-graduate-benjamin-during-the-summer-sounds-of-silence_music) A giant.
Title: Re: Mike Nichols
Post by: pmcd9 on November 23, 2014, 07:29:43 am
Great Director.
Title: Re: Mike Nichols
Post by: pmcd9 on November 23, 2014, 07:35:15 am
Every use of the "Wes Anderson Effect" is really just imitating this scene. (http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x12fsba_the-graduate-benjamin-during-the-summer-sounds-of-silence_music) A giant.

Yeah, that's pretty epic. That whole movie is pretty epic. You know you've done something good when you've done something so profound it becomes a hollywood trope. I'm talking about the final scene where Hoffman crashes the wedding. I saw that played out in 100 other movies and television shows before I ever saw The Graduate.