The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Asherdan on November 25, 2014, 11:06:28 pm

Title: CHAR-B-QUE!!!
Post by: Asherdan on November 25, 2014, 11:06:28 pm
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)
Title: Re: CHAR-B-QUE!!!
Post by: AugustWest on November 26, 2014, 04:18:00 am
Is Lucky's like a west coast thing?  We just got a Lucky's here (in Louisville) and we like it.
Title: Re: CHAR-B-QUE!!!
Post by: pmcd9 on November 26, 2014, 02:46:35 pm
Waxahachi!

Nacodoches!

I've spent time in both of those places.
Title: Re: CHAR-B-QUE!!!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 26, 2014, 02:55:59 pm
My junior year of college I had an electric skillet/frying pan, and I particularly remember cooking spaghetti in it, which was less than ideal but I made it work.
Title: Re: CHAR-B-QUE!!!
Post by: jaydub on December 01, 2014, 06:26:28 pm
That is what I ate off of when I lived in university dorms. I have grand memories of going down to the local Lucky's supermarket and stealing every meat item I could hide in my clothes and waddle away with.
Crab legs?
Title: Re: CHAR-B-QUE!!!
Post by: jaydub on December 01, 2014, 06:50:05 pm
About a year ago, I had a serious hankering for chorizo, and bought some that looked muy auténtico.  It was pretty good, and I made eggs and chorizo omelets for breakfast for a few days, until I made the mistake of reading the ingredients too closely.  Principal component, "glándulas salivalas de cerdos".  I soldiered on for another day or so, but the specificity of salivary gland changed it from "tasty breakfast" to "Survivor Food Event".  I was just trying to see if there were nitrites in it (there weren't).
Title: Re: CHAR-B-QUE!!!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 05, 2015, 04:50:35 pm
Excellent. I love me some fried chicken, but I rarely make it at home (or deep-fry anything else) because it makes the whole house smell like fried stuff. Best in the shoulder seasons when I can open all the windows.

It occurred to me recently, though, that I could use the side burner on the grill and fry stuff outside. Duly noted, for when it's not too frickin' cold out.
Title: Re: CHAR-B-QUE!!!
Post by: pmcd9 on January 06, 2015, 02:27:30 pm
That's one of those things you use once then put away forever.
Title: Re: CHAR-B-QUE!!!
Post by: jaydub on January 07, 2015, 12:58:17 am
My mom had a Cuisinart food processor that I wished she would have done that with.  It had 5 or six parts, plus slashy, gratey attachments, that all had to be hand washed by her personal drudges.  1 minute of actual food processing was followed by God knows how many minutes of scrubbing bits and pieces.
Title: Re: CHAR-B-QUE!!!
Post by: AugustWest on January 08, 2015, 06:11:23 pm
If I recall my AB correctly, if you keep the oil hot enough, the food shouldn't absorb very much at all.  The steam pushing out from the inside of the food keeps the oil from seeping in.

You'll have to imagine your own crude puppets and nutritional anthropologists.
Title: Re: CHAR-B-QUE!!!
Post by: pmcd9 on January 08, 2015, 09:07:42 pm
You got yourself a cornballer (http://youtu.be/xnXd98nIPuw).
Title: Re: CHAR-B-QUE!!!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 11, 2015, 01:53:30 pm
Paul!  Be proud!

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sf/style/2015/11/10/the-search-for-americas-best-food-cities-houston/
Title: Re: CHAR-B-QUE!!!
Post by: pmcd9 on November 17, 2015, 08:18:38 pm
Paul!  Be proud!

I am. Houston still has a lot of bigots as last week's HERO vote proved, but I think they are a dying breed. We've got all of these cultures colliding and the result is one of the greatest food towns in the country.