The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Arachno-capitalist on December 12, 2014, 02:52:21 pm

Title: What is the deal with Frozen?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 12, 2014, 02:52:21 pm
I don't have children and avoid spending more than instantaneous interactions with them, but I can not escape the let it go song of this phenomenon. I will go the rest of my life without watching this movie so can someone explain why this movie is such a hit and what the hell it is about?
Things I know: There is a princess who sings and she has a sister?   
Title: Re: What is the deal with Frozen?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 12, 2014, 06:17:22 pm
I'm going to refer you to the plot summary on Wikipedia rather than recanting it myself.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frozen_(2013_film)#Plot

So why's it so popular? The songs are pretty good, as such things go, and there was a lot of that reinforcing top-40 effect (i.e. because "Let It Go" got popular, more people heard it and liked it either on its merits or because they're sheep). And I think, for my daughters and their friends, it's a princess story where the princesses actually do stuff and are truly the lead characters--they're not just sitting around waiting to be rescued. And [SPOILER ALERT] it's a princess movie that actually comes to the conclusion that marrying someone you just met that day may not work out so well.
Title: Re: What is the deal with Frozen?
Post by: wombat on December 12, 2014, 06:35:18 pm
I have been avoiding this like the plague but you actually make it sound interesting.
Title: Re: What is the deal with Frozen?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 12, 2014, 06:41:12 pm
Because it's a good movie, one of the best Disney has made in awhile.
Title: Re: What is the deal with Frozen?
Post by: Arachno-capitalist on December 12, 2014, 06:50:59 pm
The blonde one, elsa, comes off as kind of a x-men style supervillain. She flips the bird to the world and builds a frozen fortress of solitude and damn the consequences. The brunette just wants her to not be a bitch about it. Funny that elsa is the fascination of a generation of little girls. Troublesome, almost.

Carlos, do the little girls you interact with secretly want to be in a fortress of solitude that runs away from their problems?
Title: Re: What is the deal with Frozen?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 12, 2014, 09:10:01 pm
That is one way to look at it, but "Let It Go" can be interpreted as "I'm going to do what I want and I don't give a shit what anyone thinks," and that's not entirely a bad thing (for certain values of "what I want to do" and not giving a shit).
Title: Re: What is the deal with Frozen?
Post by: pmcd9 on December 15, 2014, 12:58:51 am
You claim to not have watched the movie, yet you are very familiar with the plot.
Title: Re: What is the deal with Frozen?
Post by: wombat on December 16, 2014, 01:25:48 pm
"Frozen" Director Apologizes to Parents for "Let It Go"" (http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/frozen-director-apologizes-parents-let-756614?source=gravity)
Title: Re: What is the deal with Frozen?
Post by: theinevitable on December 27, 2014, 05:50:39 am
Today, I went to a high school reunion thing, and found out a woman I know wrote that song. I am not sure how I missed that.