The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Science & Nature => Topic started by: Asherdan on March 16, 2015, 04:24:50 pm

Title: Spring...Sprang...Sprung
Post by: Asherdan on March 16, 2015, 04:24:50 pm
(https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s---uBhIrEa--/oqil2ysvksn6vmluk2of.gif)
Title: Re: Spring...Sprang...Sprung
Post by: wombat on March 16, 2015, 04:52:21 pm
Too soon!

I'm not believing spring is here this year till I see it.
Title: Re: Spring...Sprang...Sprung
Post by: AugustWest on March 16, 2015, 05:14:10 pm
One week ago we had over a foot of snow on the ground.  Today it's sunny and 70.  It's here.  DAMMIT, IT MUST BE HERE.
Title: Re: Spring...Sprang...Sprung
Post by: jaydub on March 16, 2015, 05:17:16 pm
I have thought about hops early enough this year that I may succeed in getting some (re)planted.  The drought killed my last ones - I'm going to drip irrigate their successors.
Title: Re: Spring...Sprang...Sprung
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 16, 2015, 10:15:42 pm
Normally I'm all about planning my garden right now, but I haven't given it much thought so far. Combination of the crappy weather and general overwhelmed-ness. I will get to it soon.

Last year was an absolutely terrible year for tomatoes (for me anyway). Gotta figure out how to improve that this year.
Title: Re: Spring...Sprang...Sprung
Post by: AugustWest on March 17, 2015, 01:23:42 am
I'm curious about what we lost this winter.  We got unusually cold this year -- normally we don't see much below 0, this year we hit negatives in early November, then proceeded on to several days in a row where hit hit -10 or below. 

In fact, we got to freaking 19 below this year. 

Fuck that. 

Seriously, fuck that hard.

But I'm sure we lost some stuff, so I guess we'll probably work on replacing it.

On the pleasant side, I saw daffodils in bloom on my drive home today.  And we had crocus in the yard yesterday.  No matter what the weather does to me now, it can't take that away from me!

Title: Re: Spring...Sprang...Sprung
Post by: theinevitable on March 17, 2015, 05:08:20 am
What i want to do for spring is rig up some kind of battery-powered power washer and just go nuts on every sidewalk in town. The bridge that has weird mud/decayed leaves built up on the sidewalk from the fall because all the drains are clogged? The creepy area under the overpass with dead pigeons and pigeon shit from the last 20 years? GONE. GONE FROM THE POWER OF MY HOSE.
Title: Re: Spring...Sprang...Sprung
Post by: pmcd9 on March 17, 2015, 07:35:37 am
You're gonna need gas power for that job.
Title: Re: Spring...Sprang...Sprung
Post by: wombat on March 17, 2015, 12:35:42 pm
I'm curious about what we lost this winter.  We got unusually cold this year -- normally we don't see much below 0, this year we hit negatives in early November, then proceeded on to several days in a row where hit hit -10 or below. 

In fact, we got to freaking 19 below this year. 


Wait, what? Aren't you in Kentucky? Isn't Kentucky in the South?

It was in the 60s yesterday but apparently I need to go outside and seize the day early to enjoy some more of that, because a cold front is coming through early in the afternoon and it's going to be winter again through the weekend. Seriously, fuck this winter.
Title: Re: Spring...Sprang...Sprung
Post by: AugustWest on March 17, 2015, 02:32:23 pm
Wait, what? Aren't you in Kentucky? Isn't Kentucky in the South?

My sentiments exactly.
Title: Re: Spring...Sprang...Sprung
Post by: wombat on March 25, 2015, 12:28:36 am
I'm still calling bullshit on this "spring" nonsense till I see more than exactly one crocus blooming in my yard.
Title: Re: Spring...Sprang...Sprung
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2015, 04:06:06 am
Spring is here in Houston. It's gorgeous all the time right now.