The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: wombat on June 26, 2015, 05:26:24 pm
-
If you'd asked me ten years ago if I thought I was going to live to see a black president and same-sex marriage, I would have laughed bitterly. Maybe one should be more optimistic about the world? Eh, no, better have lowered expectations and have these sorts of things be a pleasant surprise.
-
Hooray! My kid can get married someday if she wants to!
I'm glad to be pleasantly surprised by the Supremes this week, especially Chief Justice Roberts. Congratulations on doing the right thing, twice.
Now if they'd just legalize it nationwide...
-
Now if they'd just legalize it nationwide...
It took them 11 years to go from one outlier state legalizing same sex marriage to let's make it legal nationwide. I actually think it won't take that long for marijuana to be legal federally. It's already legal recreationally in 4 states and medically in a bunch more. They even legalized hemp oil for certain types of seizures in Texas. In TEXAS!
Just like gay marriage, public opinion is heavily stacked against the status quo. Marijuana has the added benefit that it can be taxed and cash poor states are licking their lips to get some of that marijuana tax money. Of course there's money on the status quo side in the form of asset forfeitures and for profit prisons, but I think the voice of the people is going to win the day.
So, I give it another 5-6 years and it'll be legal nationwide. Can you tell I'm excited by recent events?
-
The Texas attorney general is apparently telling state workers they can go ahead and not issue same-sex marriage papers if they don't want to. I am very curious as to how this will play out. Does someone from the federal level come down and arrest them for contempt of court or something?
-
The Texas attorney general is apparently telling state workers they can go ahead and not issue same-sex marriage papers if they don't want to. I am very curious as to how this will play out. Does someone from the federal level come down and arrest them for contempt of court or something?
Probably what happens is somebody sues them in Federal court and a Federal judge tells them "Do it or else, contempt."
-
Probably what happens is somebody sues them in Federal court and a Federal judge tells them "Do it or else, contempt."
Yeah, the ACLU has already said it will accompany any gay couple to the place. The attorney General has said that they will provide legal services for anyone that gets involved in a lawsuit, so yeah, it's gonna happen like you are saying. Not going to stop any marriages, but it will unnecessarily waste a lot of Texas Tax payer money.
The Attorney General has also said that they are going to have separate lines for the gays with clerks that don't have any objection to issuing the license. It's ridiculous and certainly unlawful (separate, but equal?).
-
Hooray for gay daughters getting married!