The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jough on January 22, 2004, 09:35:06 pm

Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: jough on January 22, 2004, 09:35:06 pm
Happy Chinese New Year, people.

It is the year of the monkey.
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: evilwombat on January 22, 2004, 11:10:17 pm
MINE ALL MINE!!!!  THE WHOLE YEAR!!!
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: AugustWest on January 23, 2004, 02:31:33 am
Take your hands off my year, YOU DAMN DIRTY APE!
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: St_Zartan on January 23, 2004, 04:05:23 am
Can someone who knows more about this than I and does not necessarily trust the results of a half-assed Google search tell me what, as far as Chinese astrology etc is concerned, this is supposed to mean? A year of divine mischief and caprice, one would hope.

The extent of my knowledge of the Chinese Zodiac (so to speak) comes from a paper placemat in read in a restaurant when I was nine years old. I remember being extremely irritated that I had missed being a totally awesome Snake by a handful of days - and had instead ended up a goddamned hoss.

I WILL TRY HARDER
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: V-Adore on January 23, 2004, 04:27:08 am
Quote from: "St_Zartan"

The extent of my knowledge of the Chinese Zodiac (so to speak) comes from a paper placemat in read in a restaurant when I was nine years old. I remember being extremely irritated that I had missed being a totally awesome Snake by a handful of days - and had instead ended up a goddamned hoss.

Oh, cry me a goddamn river. I was, and remain, a Pig. (Well, "Boar" on some of the more polite listings.) This really did not help as a kid, honestly.

(I first typoed "Pig" as "Pog." This feels somehow appropriate, and I am forced to wonder about the poor sap with the Pog as a totem... thing.)
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: jough on January 23, 2004, 04:41:08 am
I was born in the year of the Dragon.  Yeah, fuck the rest of you.
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: CortJstr on January 23, 2004, 05:49:33 am
Oh fine, Jough gets the coolest and only fictional animal while I'm stuck with the ram. Which some placemats go so far as to call a sheep. And not even the cool Super Aquatic Sheep, either!

At least my Shanghai layout is cooler than Jough's
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: slink on January 23, 2004, 11:22:55 am
I'm fuck*ng year of the Dog.
Bleahrg. I'm not even a dog person - I don't mind the adorable dog we have,  but I far prefer cats.
My brother got Dragon. The sonofabitch! (He being same as you Jough - the old bastards!)
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: wombat on January 23, 2004, 11:32:15 am
I'm a Rat.  Since that's as close as you get to a capybara in the Chinese zodiac, I like it.
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: AugustWest on January 23, 2004, 02:10:49 pm
Snake.  It's a snaaaake.

Also, I am a Scorpio.  So I pretty much got the two coolest zodiac signs, dragon notwithstanding.

Too bad all that crap is meaningless and all...
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 23, 2004, 02:48:23 pm
I'm a Rooster.
No, it's not the year of the Cock, it's the Rooster.
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: jay-ell on January 23, 2004, 04:35:30 pm
Cort and I are the same age, so I'm a sheep, too.  

Baa.  Baa.
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: pmcd9 on January 23, 2004, 05:34:00 pm
I thought I was a tiger, but then I realized I was born before the "Chinese" new year so i'm an OX.  

~Paul
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: Choop on January 23, 2004, 06:00:17 pm
Another dragon, reporting for duty.

This is a creative way to get the ladies to reveal their ages.

"What's your sign?"
"--Oh, please, that's the oldest line in the book."
"No, no, your Chinese sign."
"! That? Why, I'm a Rabbit! I didn't even know people other than myself kept up with that!"
"Ah. So, me being a Dog, we're meant to be together." plus I know you're 28! Ha ha ha!

TAKE THAT, SUBTLE BEEYOTCHES!
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: jough on January 23, 2004, 06:27:23 pm
Yeah, I thought of that.  I mean, if you can guess someone's age within 12 years, it works like a charm.
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: andalucia on January 23, 2004, 06:54:07 pm
Tiger.  Know I'm revealing my age, but I already did that when I used a Smiths album as "best release in my year of birth".
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: V-Adore on January 23, 2004, 06:59:53 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Snake.  It's a snaaaake.

Also, I am a Scorpio.  So I pretty much got the two coolest zodiac signs, dragon notwithstanding.

Too bad all that crap is meaningless and all...

Damn, man, that's a nice array. I'm a Pig and a Virgo, which is really just sort of the worthless array ever.

I'm actually fairly content that it's meaningless, given that it allows me to continue my paradigm that my fate has not been dictated by random heavenly bodies because of the accident of my day of birth. I do, however, have a friend who takes this all very seriously and once predicted that I and my boyfriend couldn't get along "because he's a Leo and you're a Virgo and that's really very strange."

(She's gone through something like five guys since this pronouncement. I'm still with the same guy. I do loves me some poetic-justice-fueled schadenfreude.)
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 23, 2004, 07:23:16 pm
The year I was born, Chinese New Year was Feb 9. I am a Goat. Also a Capricorn, or a Water Goat.

Now, I was premature by, like, 9 weeks. So did the stars force my untimely birth or can I claim to be something else?

Hmm...A Monkey Pisces.

That sucks too.
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: Limmo on January 23, 2004, 07:35:54 pm
I'm a Ram.  Also a Capricorn.  Big fuckin' deal.
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: V-Adore on January 23, 2004, 07:49:49 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
I'm a Ram.  Also a Capricorn.  Big fuckin' deal.

Well, at least you have some synergy going on.
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: jay-ell on January 23, 2004, 08:35:51 pm
I'm an aquarian sheep.  

Yes.  A sheep who can swim.

One would think all that wool would get waterlogged.
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: AugustWest on January 23, 2004, 08:43:49 pm
It's the lanolin.

Without it, sheep would shrink in a rainstorm.
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: jay-ell on January 23, 2004, 08:48:58 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
It's the lanolin.

Without it, sheep would shrink in a rainstorm.


This is why you get to be on Jeopardy! and I don't.
Title: GUNG HAY FAT CHOY!
Post by: CortJstr on January 23, 2004, 09:14:49 pm
Then explain the Super Aqua Sheep (http://www.yoda.arachsys.com/worms/wa/anims/gfx/aquashp1.gif)!

I believe my western sign (leo) ate my chinese sign (ram). Just blood and horns all over the dang nursery when I was born.