The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Asherdan on August 18, 2015, 06:17:04 pm

Title: Football 2015
Post by: Asherdan on August 18, 2015, 06:17:04 pm
(https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s---uBhIrEa--/oqil2ysvksn6vmluk2of.gif)
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: jaydub on August 27, 2015, 09:37:17 pm
Fuck Jed York with a rusty chainsaw.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: pmcd9 on August 28, 2015, 07:38:13 pm
And just think, soon they'll be your only pro-team in The Bay.

Oh yeah, they shipping the Raiders down to LA?
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: jaydub on August 29, 2015, 04:05:03 pm
That's what Mark Davis wants to do - although he was also courting San Antonio pretty hot & heavy a few months ago.  He clearly doesn't want to be in Oakland.

Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: pmcd9 on September 04, 2015, 09:23:52 pm
He clearly doesn't want to be in Oakland.

Who would? Hey-O!
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: AugustWest on September 11, 2015, 03:35:26 am
I got a B.  I guess that's the grade the computer gave itself.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 11, 2015, 02:22:20 pm
I got a C-. The computers like AW better than they like me.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: jaydub on September 12, 2015, 05:53:30 pm
I completely randomly stumbled into our draft at about round 4.  My daughter has already been rubbing my face in her A+ draft performance. 
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: jaydub on September 22, 2015, 12:05:41 am
Nabu and I are headed for a tie, apparently.  Except in America we hate ties, so fractional points should sort us out.  Provided my geriatric players don't have coronaries and keel over tonight, anyway.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: pmcd9 on September 22, 2015, 02:52:48 am
It's week 2 of the season and Texans fans are already posting "Win or Lose, I'm still a Texan." Ha ha, gonna be a long season here in Houston. Glad I gave up that heartbreak. While my stupid roommate was grumbling about the Texans I watches a great Green Bay vs. Seattle game that he skipped.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: jaydub on September 22, 2015, 05:33:06 am
That was indeed a good game.  Tonight's contest was less interesting, but it did secure me a win over Nabu.  Kaitlin squeaked past Greg by fractions of a point.  She and I are head to head in week 3, and at this point yahoo has her winning by 0.01 points.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: AugustWest on November 24, 2015, 07:50:03 pm
.22! (http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/f1/494654/recap?week=11&mid1=1&mid2=3)  Thank you LeSean McCoy!
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 29, 2015, 04:51:13 pm
Ooh, hadn't noticed it was that close. Plenty of opportunities for a win left on the bench, there. What the hell is up with the Eagles defense?!? I think the Chip Kelly experiment is due to end.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: jaydub on November 30, 2015, 06:11:31 pm
I beat my kid, and now she's considering gutting her roster from such poor performers as De'andre (sp?) Hopkins, Jason Witten, and Steven Hauschka.  While this might tip the ultimate rubber match in my favor, I think I'll guide her to read up on some fantasy writers this week.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on December 24, 2015, 04:51:13 pm
Oh hey it's playoff time.

The end of the regular season was mostly anti-climactic. Ash's Lygars were the only team with a real shot that didn't make it, finishing a game out. Everyone else was way behind.

Yr semi-finals:
Malcolm Jamal Warner (miles) vs. Ham Sammiches (jaydub). The Sammiches are a .31 favorite.
Owensboro (Greg) vs. Kaitlin's Team (I'm guessing this is Lil' Jaydub?)

Good luck, and even if you lose, at least you're a more worthy playoff team than whoever wins the NFC East or AFC South.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 02, 2016, 01:31:45 pm
Semi-final results:
MJW 134, Sammiches 117
Owensboro 177, Kaitlin 113

Owensboro vs. MJW for the champeenship. Greg is going for a football repeat and the baseball/football combo; Miles has never placed previously in our football league. Also, a repeat of the 2014 baseball champeenship.

We get the father-daughter matchup we all wanted, but for the third place game.

Good luck youse mugs.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 06, 2016, 02:18:48 am
Congrats to Miles, who took the champeenship from Owensboro Greg, 119-101. Greg doomed himself by starting Blake Bortles, who went -19. Literally, he would have won if he'd started NO QB AT ALL instead of Bortles. Daaaaamn.

Jaydub defeats his own daughter 155-140 to win third place. You so mean, jaydub. Let the kid win every once in a while.

Good season, y'all. Really lookin' forward to the baseball, you guys.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: pmcd9 on January 07, 2016, 01:29:20 am
Against Kansas City this weekend I think JJ Watt and the rest of the Texans defensive front line are going to be a disruptive force, but ultimately I think the Chiefs are a better football team overall and will win the game.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: miles on January 07, 2016, 02:49:16 am
Congrats to Miles, who took the champeenship from Owensboro Greg, 119-101. Greg doomed himself by starting Blake Bortles, who went -19. Literally, he would have won if he'd started NO QB AT ALL instead of Bortles. Daaaaamn.

Jaydub defeats his own daughter 155-140 to win third place. You so mean, jaydub. Let the kid win every once in a while.

Good season, y'all. Really lookin' forward to the baseball, you guys.

I needed that win emotionally, after losing the championship by .60 points in the inaugural season of a league I founded. To my sister's roommate, of all people.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: jaydub on January 07, 2016, 10:06:14 pm
Sunday morning my daughter and I are chilling on the couch, watching the pregame shows and waiting for French Toast.  She's got her nose in her new iPad then looks up in horror and says, "I forgot to check my line-up!".  My wife overhears this and says, "Why didn't you remind her?"  I'm all, "We're playing each other this week..."  I get a look like my wife caught me stealing food off the kid's plate.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: AugustWest on January 08, 2016, 02:03:10 pm
You were just making sure your daughter learned a valuable lesson about keeping track of one's roster, especially during the damn playoffs.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: jaydub on January 09, 2016, 12:43:47 am
She's (my wife, that is) one to talk - she got so competitive over Magic: The Gathering that we had to quit playing or risk the marriage.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: pmcd9 on January 09, 2016, 03:04:09 am
Against Kansas City this weekend I think JJ Watt and the rest of the Texans defensive front line are going to be a disruptive force, but ultimately I think the Chiefs are a better football team overall and will win the game.

Carl Has Spoken (https://youtu.be/CNJy5UKi_TA)
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 12, 2016, 08:58:38 pm
I posted of Owensboro Greg's tale of Blake Bortles-based woe in a Deadspin thread. The main response was "Why do you have your final in week 17?!?"

Why do we have our final in week 17, anyway? It's a free, non-serious league, so it's not like anyone's ever gotten worked up about it. But I can't help but wonder, as this practice is frowned upon in every other league I've ever been in (the theory being that too many teams rest their starters in the last week).
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: miles on January 13, 2016, 11:10:42 pm
Now that the Rams are LA bound, does anyone remember the details of the bet between Choop and Ash regarding the NFL in LA? I believe it had to do with an NFL team surviving in LA for a certain number of years, and the loser had to polish the winner's knob or something. Anyway, I'm sure someone can find it.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 15, 2016, 01:55:18 pm
http://touamb.com/index.php?topic=6354.0

I think the original post is missing because Ash apparently scrambled a bunch of his old posts.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: AugustWest on January 18, 2016, 12:04:21 am

Fuck the Rams, fuck the NFL and fuck the empty suit corporate money motherfuckers feeding us this bullshit bread and circus gig. Fuck them all right in their faces.

People. Man. Fuck the NFL right into the grave.

Yeah.  This.  Really kind of disgusted with the whole scene.

I'm a St Louis Ram fan.  My in-laws have been season ticket holders since day one in St Louis, and I've gotten to go several times.  I followed the Kroenke saga.  What a piece of shit that guy is.  And how cynical and money-grubbing is the damn NFL?  Fuck those high handed assholes.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: pmcd9 on January 19, 2016, 01:17:05 am
Yeah.  This.  Really kind of disgusted with the whole scene.

I'm a St Louis Ram fan.  My in-laws have been season ticket holders since day one in St Louis, and I've gotten to go several times.  I followed the Kroenke saga.  What a piece of shit that guy is.  And how cynical and money-grubbing is the damn NFL?  Fuck those high handed assholes.

If this plays out like it did in Houston there will be a team in St. Louis again in a couple of years.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: AugustWest on January 19, 2016, 04:17:02 am
If this plays out like it did in Houston the last time this happened in St Louis there will be a team in St. Louis again in a couple of years.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: miles on January 19, 2016, 02:15:26 pm
Yeah.  This.  Really kind of disgusted with the whole scene.

I'm a St Louis Ram fan.  My in-laws have been season ticket holders since day one in St Louis, and I've gotten to go several times.  I followed the Kroenke saga.  What a piece of shit that guy is.  And how cynical and money-grubbing is the damn NFL?  Fuck those high handed assholes.

The same thing happened to Rams fans in LA 20 years ago. Fans blame the owners and the owners blame the fans (Rams attendance is currently among the lowest in the NFL). I dug this article up: http://articles.latimes.com/1995-04-13/news/mn-54268_1_rams-owner

This happens pretty much every time a team relocates. I don't know if anyone got it worse than Cleveland did in 1996 or Baltimore did in 1984. Yet Americans never stop watching.
Title: Re: Football 2015
Post by: pmcd9 on January 19, 2016, 11:06:20 pm
Well there you go!