The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: KeithHernandez on January 11, 2016, 08:40:35 am

Title: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: KeithHernandez on January 11, 2016, 08:40:35 am
He's dead.

He's dead. 
hahahahahahah

Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: theinevitable on January 11, 2016, 02:44:02 pm
Holy fuck.

I was just playing him for my sister on friday and annoyingly lecturing her about how he has put out more perfect songs than maybe anyone. Just now I got a text from her that said "David Bowie!" and I thought it meant she was getting into him.

So many of my friends have stories of discovering him when they were lonely weirdos, even though we all grew up after his heyday. To be honest, I found him later than that. But that is truly the meaning of rock and roll, or of my own weird version of it.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: wombat on January 11, 2016, 04:10:36 pm
And I thought it was depressing the other day to hear that he had turned 69. Getting old is not awesome but always gotta remember what the alternative is.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 11, 2016, 10:33:49 pm
He went out in the same way that Freddy Mercury did. No one knew Mercury was sick until the day before he died he released a statement saying he had AIDS. The next day he was gone.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: robocop on January 19, 2016, 05:00:06 am
He went out in the same way that Freddy Mercury did. No one knew Mercury was sick until the day before he died he released a statement saying he had AIDS. The next day he was gone.

Aye, but Bowie leveled up and released a damn brilliant album as his statement, then clarified with a haunting (particularly in hindsight) video. The world was, as always with Bowie, just slow to catch up.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 19, 2016, 04:46:35 pm
I have one particular FB friend who claims to be deeply saddened by seemingly every celebrity death. Who knows, maybe she really does have meaningful connections with the music of David Bowie and the Eagles, and the filmography of Alan Rickman, and it just so happens that they died all one after the other. Strikes me as trying to make it a little too much about YOU, but that's just my opinion. Those dudes all did notable work, and it's sort of sad that they died, but then, we all die. And while dying at 69 years old is less than ideal, I have a hard time calling that a "tragedy." It's a pretty decent run. Yes, the world could use more David Bowie rather than less, but his passing isn't going to put me in any kind of deep funk.

My theory of the current string of celebrity deaths: we've made a lot more people famous in the past 30, 40 years. Back when there were fewer choices in movies, TV, and music (and internet-celebrity didn't exist yet), there were fewer famous people, so it seemed farther between notable deaths. But now there are shit-tons of famous people, and they're getting older. Before long, someone you've heard of will kick the bucket just about every day.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: pmcd9 on January 19, 2016, 10:57:54 pm
Aye, but Bowie leveled up and released a damn brilliant album as his statement, then clarified with a haunting (particularly in hindsight) video. The world was, as always with Bowie, just slow to catch up.

Mercury did this too, he just didn't quite get it finished. His bandmates released Made in Heaven (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghihTDNuMDA&list=PLEC74969BC7474640) after he had passed.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: robocop on January 20, 2016, 12:43:05 am
That's fascinating, Paul. Thanks. I didn’t know this. I like Queen a lot, but this all transpired while I was in diapers.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: wombat on January 20, 2016, 12:50:48 am
I know this David Bowie. (http://www.alaskapublic.org/2016/01/15/ak-david-bowies-alaskan-name-twin-adopts-rockers-rebel-streak/) I taught him phonology when he was an undergrad. On the first day of class I sent around a sign-up sheet and when I read it, I assumed someone was pranking me.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: miles on January 20, 2016, 03:12:54 am
I know this David Bowie. (http://www.alaskapublic.org/2016/01/15/ak-david-bowies-alaskan-name-twin-adopts-rockers-rebel-streak/) I taught him phonology when he was an undergrad. On the first day of class I sent around a sign-up sheet and when I read it, I assumed someone was pranking me.

I took a class from that Bowie. We already went over that right?
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: wombat on January 20, 2016, 11:46:08 am
We did but worth repeating here for the record.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: miles on January 20, 2016, 05:28:49 pm
We did but worth repeating here for the record.

Maybe 2 weeks before Bowie died I searched for and found an old article that was written about Dr. Bowie in a local paper around the time I took the class from him. I can't find it now of course.

Strange timing though.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 03, 2016, 07:12:20 pm
I have one particular FB friend who claims to be deeply saddened by seemingly every celebrity death.

Recently she was upset that the sax player from Sha Na Na died.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 03, 2016, 11:07:31 pm
Y'all just hold one a god damned minute. Sha Na Na were LEGIT! They played at Woodstock for goodness sake. Also, their television show was great. It came on after school in my town for some reason. A Hee Haw for the greaser set if you will.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 04, 2016, 12:16:59 am
But deep drawing the goddam sax player for something that's been a cultural relic since the '70's..

Kinda how I feel about The Eagles. So what if Glen Frey is dead, He hasn't made any new music in over 30 years. Unlike Bowie, or Neil Young, or Paul McCartney for example who have never stopped creating.

well, shit, they all should be dead by now, really.

You do make a strong point there. Except he was only 69, same age as Glen Frey. You perceived him as much older I'll bet because or his image as a 50s era greaser.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 04, 2016, 12:41:08 am
Well, really, they bounced out of that '70's nostalgia call out for the '50's, so while the group may still be around the surviving audience they were playing to is dropping dead in droves.

According to Wikipedia they were the primary instigator of that revival. But you're still not getting it, their audience is not super geezers, it's people my age. I grew up in the 70s. I probably learned about a lot of that old music via Sha Na Na.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: pmcd9 on March 04, 2016, 02:40:16 am
Fine, Paul. Just don't drop fuck*ng dead, airight?

Fine, I wont!
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 29, 2016, 05:55:16 pm
I have one particular FB friend who claims to be deeply saddened by seemingly every celebrity death.

Patty Duke. And right on cue...
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 29, 2016, 06:45:47 pm
"Why are so many famous people dying in 2016??!?"  Because they're getting old! And people who get old tend to die a lot!
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: AugustWest on March 30, 2016, 01:22:37 am
And people who get old tend to die a lot!

Most of 'em only die once.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: miles on April 21, 2016, 08:32:15 pm
Goddammit, Prince wan't old by my lights but maybe he managed to cram some double-time in there.

Still, that one stings more, for some reasons.

Me too. Jesus, got something in my eyes.
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: pmcd9 on April 21, 2016, 10:11:45 pm
2016 can suck a dick!
Title: Re: Do you know David Bowie?
Post by: wombat on April 21, 2016, 10:39:55 pm
Quote
John Scalzi @scalzi It's time to take Madonna and Bruce Springsteen to the 80s Bunker.