The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => History => Topic started by: pmcd9 on February 10, 2016, 02:12:31 am

Title: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on February 10, 2016, 02:12:31 am
Here Comes Bernie!
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on February 10, 2016, 09:26:43 pm
I am a big fan, as I have said elsewhere. I am totally fine with people supporting Hillary Clinton if it's because of her policies, even if I do not agree with her on several things, but I cannot handle people lecturing me. Like I said on some other thread I also don't totally buy that anyone can know which Dem is better at "getting things done" but I am willing to respect that that's their opinion.

Yesterday I went on a date with a nice woman who explained why she likes Hillary in a totally intelligent way without implying that I was crazy or dumb for liking Bernie, and I was fine with that. Just don't treat me like I'm a child, like my YOUNGER brother and sister do.

(I liked the line in the New York Times this morning about how Bernie won every single demographic in New Hampshire except people over 65 and families earning over $200k a year)

Optimism of the will, pessimism of the intellect.

Also: reading anti-Bernie articles people are posting on Facebook makes me so fed up, and I am torn. On the one hand, I want to post counter arguments. On the other hand, I do not want to feed the Posting Angry Articles Every Day machine.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: wombat on February 10, 2016, 11:18:55 pm
Do you know how bad I want a Trump/Bernie campaign?

SO BAD

Really regretting I couldn't convince the Tech Staff to follow up on the possibility that he was eligible for Canadian citizenship.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: wombat on February 10, 2016, 11:21:55 pm
So is there a least horrible Republican candidate? I'm wondering if there's someone who, if he won, should make me slightly relieved. Because at this point I'm not sure it matters who the Democrat is, I can't believe that the Democrats are going to convince most of America to vote for either a woman or a socialist.

Yeah, I didn't think I would live to see the first black president either. I would be happy to be wrong again.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: AugustWest on February 11, 2016, 03:01:18 am
I'm feelin' the Bern all the way, but...

Still, I'd vote for HRC before any of those other assclowns.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on February 13, 2016, 03:52:51 pm
Holy cow, my mom just posted an article on my dad's wall about the real differences between Clinton and Bernie (http://benjaminstudebaker.com/2016/02/05/why-bernie-vs-hillary-matters-more-than-people-think/) that is so spot on. And also phrased in terms that will work on my dad (this isn't a personality contest, the two candidates have very different concepts of how the economy and society work).
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on February 14, 2016, 06:20:30 am
So is there a least horrible Republican candidate?

Kasich. I don't agree him on most issues, but he's not insane, incompetent, or a fascist.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: wombat on February 14, 2016, 04:31:05 pm
but he's not insane, incompetent, or a fascist.

I guess that's the best we can hope for.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: jaydub on February 15, 2016, 05:27:11 am
Agreed, Kasich is the least awful.  He's going to need some major traction to pull ahead of the others though (unless dead girls or live boys are involved)
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on March 04, 2016, 05:42:19 pm
So I was told I couldn't vote wearing my Bernie for President shirt so I took it off.

(https://scontent.fhou1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfl1/v/t1.0-9/12809513_10154593991715558_6637407836988761594_n.jpg?oh=bfc9dd96315667eecbf93a263553042d&oe=57941510)
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on March 06, 2016, 08:09:58 pm
My buddy who moved to Maine has been waiting almost two hours to get into the caucus, and said he can't tell how much longer it will be. He said people are in high spirits but a lot of people have mentioned that they worry people who work weekend jobs (service jobs, etc) will be even more discouraged from voting.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on March 08, 2016, 03:34:20 am
Bernie Did alright in Maine.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2016, 01:11:45 am
Where is Neil Young? He's normally all up into American politics. If I were to guess I'd say he's a Bernie Sanders supporter, but I haven't heard anything from  him during this election cycle. I wonder if his health is failing?

Edit: He did come out last year and Told Donald Trump to not use his song Rockin' in the Free World. He turned around and gave it to Bernie (http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/06/neil-young-snubs-donald-trump-gives-rockin-in-the-free-world-to-bernie-sanders/). Other than that though, nothing.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: KeithHernandez on March 15, 2016, 09:32:54 am
I fuck*ng love Neil Young.  He is probably my favorite musician.  It bugs me when he supports politicians.  I'm all, shut the fuck up Neil Young.

He also supported Reagan.  I'm all, shut the fuck up Neil Young.

Edit:  I looked it up.  Neil Young at least sort of supported Reagan, but maybe not so much to politic for him or anything.  I'm all, shut the fuck up Keithhernandez.  Shut the fuck up Neil Young.


Seriously, Bob Dylan was as brilliant as a person has ever been from 63-67.  He ruined that 4 years of his life as much as anyone ever could in the time since then.  But, as far as I know, he stayed the fuck away from politics.  Maybe it is just because my archetype of cool came from Dylan, but, man, you a singer.  You might be a deep ass singer.  You might be misunderstood by 90% of your fans.  But man, you a singer.

Also, the deeper you are the more I don't want to hear you talk about politics.  If Lemmy was all fuck Bush I would grok it much more than if Neil Young or Dylan were?  Kanye West or something is special, because he thinks he is deep, but he is wrong.  I think that makes Kanye the worst one to tell me about politics?
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: miles on March 15, 2016, 05:07:36 pm
I seem to recall that Bob Dylan ebdorsed Obama on like 60 Minutes or something, but was kinda vague about it, and yeah I think it was the only time he had ever endorsed a candidate. I don't imagine he changed any minds.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: AugustWest on March 15, 2016, 05:43:07 pm
THIS IS AMERICA KEITH!  EVERYBODY CAN MOUTH OFF ABOUT POLITICS!

No matter how stupid they are.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on March 15, 2016, 10:42:39 pm
THIS IS AMERICA KEITH!  EVERYBODY CAN MOUTH OFF ABOUT POLITICS!

No matter how stupid they are.

Hear Hear!

Also, this (https://youtu.be/YHM4AW3wZws) is the greatest meme so far of this election cycle.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on March 16, 2016, 01:09:24 am
It's not looking great tonight.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on March 16, 2016, 02:03:57 am
It's not looking great tonight.

No it is not.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on March 16, 2016, 05:52:06 pm
Next step:

See all those states that voted for Bernie? Some of them have democratic senators/representatives. Time to get some democratic socialists into those seats.

My mom said she voted for Hillary because she "isn't charming or inspiring, but her heart's in the right place." I did not know what to say to something that was that far away from my perception of the race so I just said "oh, okay."
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: wombat on March 16, 2016, 08:30:02 pm
My mom said she voted for Hillary because she "isn't charming or inspiring, but her heart's in the right place." I did not know what to say to something that was that far away from my perception of the race so I just said "oh, okay."

The country might be in better shape if we didn't expect politicians to be charming or inspiring, really.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: Doc on March 17, 2016, 06:14:33 am
The country might be in better shape if we didn't expect politicians to be charming or inspiring, really.

Ding!
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: jaydub on March 18, 2016, 05:53:45 pm
She has a heart?  Interesting theory.
My mom said she voted for Hillary because she "isn't charming or inspiring, but her heart's in the right place."
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 25, 2016, 03:32:13 pm
I have a college classmate on FB who enjoys trashing Democrats. Doesn't post much about why someone should vote Republican exactly, but frequently posts about how shitty Hillary is. And it's not all untrue, but I am very much in the "lesser of two evils" school--there are things I don't like about Hillary, sure, but I'd much rather vote for her than any of the Republican jagoffs.

Recently he posted something about how terrible FDR was for presiding over the establishment of Japanese interment camps. (Again, not wholly without merit; that was stupid and horrible.) And he finished with "What party was he again?"
Ugh. First off, got anything showing me that the Republicans at the time were voting against it, or protesting it?
And more importantly: when Republican candidates RIGHT NOW are saying certain religious should be barred from entering the country, or have their neighborhoods under active police patrol, it takes some freaking nerve to point to something from the 1940s as evidence that the Democrats are The Real Racists.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on March 25, 2016, 11:10:29 pm
I have a college classmate on FB who enjoys trashing Democrats. Doesn't post much about why someone should vote Republican exactly, but frequently posts about how shitty Hillary is. And it's not all untrue, but I am very much in the "lesser of two evils" school--there are things I don't like about Hillary, sure, but I'd much rather vote for her than any of the Republican jagoffs.

Recently he posted something about how terrible FDR was for presiding over the establishment of Japanese interment camps. (Again, not wholly without merit; that was stupid and horrible.) And he finished with "What party was he again?"
Ugh. First off, got anything showing me that the Republicans at the time were voting against it, or protesting it?
And more importantly: when Republican candidates RIGHT NOW are saying certain religious should be barred from entering the country, or have their neighborhoods under active police patrol, it takes some freaking nerve to point to something from the 1940s as evidence that the Democrats are The Real Racists.

It seems like the Republicans are very gullible. There was a pundit on Fox recently trying to say that the KKK was a left wing organization because the south was mainly democratic back in the day.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: miles on March 26, 2016, 03:32:51 am
It seems like the Republicans are very gullible. There was a pundit on Fox recently trying to say that the KKK was a left wing organization because the south was mainly democratic back in the day.

I don't know if republicans are any more gullible than the rest of the population, but that willful ignorance of how the two primary political parties in this country changed over the 20th century is really irritating.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on March 26, 2016, 04:54:33 am
that willful ignorance of how the two primary political parties in this country changed over the 20th century is really irritating.

Indeed it is.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on June 07, 2016, 04:18:17 am
This sucks, I haven't even gotten to vote yet.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on June 07, 2016, 03:47:50 pm
At least I can feel better about this vote than when I was talked into voting to reelect the crappy mayor in St Louis. Although the guy running against him was not too impressive.

Nobody was there when I went to vote today. Everyone else on the ballot was running unopposed.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: miles on June 07, 2016, 05:20:43 pm
A Trump victory feels nearly inevitable. Can someone please change my mind? I'm hoping it only feels this way because I live in the reddest state in recent years and work with a lot of conservative people.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on June 07, 2016, 05:58:46 pm
Yeah, I really don't think Trump has a chance. Although if any organization in human history is great at grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory, I think it's the Democratic Party.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: miles on June 08, 2016, 05:23:00 pm
My fear is that people underestimate Trump and overestimate the American public.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on June 08, 2016, 07:06:33 pm
My fear is that people underestimate Trump and overestimate the American public.

We don't want to believe that so many of our fellow American's are complete idiots.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: miles on June 10, 2016, 02:04:34 pm
Anarchists For Donald Trump—Let The Empire Burn (http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/06/09/anarchists-for-donald-trump-let-the-empire-burn.html)

I know some of the people he alludes to, "out in the wildlands of the intermountain West, hard gun-toting anarchist redneck Amy Goodman progressives," and they're mostly white and unconcerned about the impact of Trump's immigration policy and racial politics, apparently just like this guy.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: jaydub on June 10, 2016, 06:31:43 pm
Oh, I like this characterization, "...the other is at least an honest syphilitic, track-marked degenerate whose record on television and in his business dealings make plain his fealty to Mammon."
Gary Johnson for President!
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on June 12, 2016, 11:06:12 pm
Great, now we get to enjoy 5+ months of people acting like calling Trump dangerous and stupid is some act of immense bravery and insight.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on June 14, 2016, 08:36:11 am
Gary Johnson for President!

I watched Samantha Bee's (https://youtu.be/0Psp0A-zJgU) piece on the Libertarians and Johnson's chief rival called him a Republican who smoked pot. They aren't beholden to the financial overlords of this country, but they do their bidding anyway because of their insane ideology. But they won't be starting any wars and they won't overturn Roe v. Wade. Last poll I saw he was standing at 12% which is astronomical for the Libertarians. How much of Trump's support does he have to siphon off before a Sanders third party bid makes sense?
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on July 06, 2016, 07:09:23 pm
It's interesting to me how almost everyone I went to school with at Rutgers supported Bernie, but very few of my acquaintances/friends from college and high school aside from my close friends. I am belatedly realizing how skewed my perception of this country is from spending almost every day until age 22 surrounded by people with relatively-rich parents. (also, very close to all white). I felt like my college was "liberal" so I never would have guessed how many biases snuck in about certain topics.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on July 06, 2016, 07:28:28 pm
It was not pleasant but 4 years in a service job definitely beat some unpleasant tendencies out of me. Or the combination of those experiences with reading lots of stuff that helped understand what was going on.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on July 31, 2016, 03:42:40 am
(why are people still sending me weird anti-bernie arguments after he has dropped out of the race and endorsed hillary. they will never be happy until he invents a time machine and goes back in time and doesn't run.)
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: AugustWest on August 01, 2016, 12:32:09 pm
they will never be happy
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on August 04, 2016, 08:28:32 pm
Piling on Paul's crazed anti-HRC friend on Facebook is more fun than it probably should be.

I am this close to dropping the Gawker "dumb hicks" article on her.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on August 24, 2016, 04:17:26 am
Piling on Paul's crazed anti-HRC friend on Facebook is more fun than it probably should be.

I am this close to dropping the Gawker "dumb hicks" article on her.

Oh yeah, that woman is a Looney Tune. Coo Coo for Cocoa Puffs, that one. She's really my mother's friend, but even she only just tolerates her.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on September 30, 2016, 04:51:38 pm
I am proud to have been part of Craig Calcaterra's sex tape alternatives binge this morning.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on October 02, 2016, 07:45:29 pm
Just voted absentee. Got freaked out about whether I'll still be in Philly in November, so I requested an absentee ballot from the last place I registered to vote. It was easy but I'm still nervous it will somehow not count.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on October 08, 2016, 06:04:47 pm
Trying to strike the right balance between reveling in Trump's sinking ship and feeling really bad about how bad he had to get for it to happen.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: wombat on October 08, 2016, 06:07:19 pm
Whatever it takes.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on October 22, 2016, 08:51:02 pm
Bigly or Big League, what say you?
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on October 22, 2016, 09:13:28 pm
Okay, I've made my decision. I am no longer an undecided voter. Since Bernie Sanders is no longer in the race I've been flirting with the idea of voting for Jill Stein. I agree with her on many of the issues, but there is one fatal flaw in her candidacy. She smacks her lips when she begins to speak. I couldn't take 4 years of that. I'm voting for Hillary.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on October 24, 2016, 04:29:17 am
Oh no.

I do that.

(she does it way louder than me though.)
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: jaydub on October 31, 2016, 04:53:13 pm
I'm pretty sure it's Big League, just from context.  Bigly would be funnier, but the world doesn't exist solely to amuse me.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on October 31, 2016, 07:07:39 pm
I'm pretty sure it's Big League.

I agree. I'm older than most of you and I can remember back to a time when Big League was an actual expression that people used. It's an outdated term for an out of touch dude. Bigly would be an entirely new word and I wouldn't give The Donald that much credit for creativity and original thought. I mean, he thinks "Crooked Hillary" is a clever jab.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on October 31, 2016, 10:06:11 pm
people are driving me nuts with the taking-everything-Trump-says-too-literally thing. He could say "I'm gonna knock it out of the park" and they'd report that he was threatening to beat Hillary up in a park.

I guess you don't get the benefit of the doubt when you promise to commit war crimes, to be fair.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 01, 2016, 12:55:09 pm
YOUR candidate's flaws are evidence that s/he is a terrible person, unfit to govern, and a danger to America. If you can't see that there is something seriously wrong with you.
MY candidate's flaws are overblown by the media and the opposition, and ultimately unimportant. And frankly I'm willing to live with them because I support his/her policies.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: wombat on November 01, 2016, 04:59:51 pm
Carlos has it exactly right. We are like that about everyone, not just candidates. Like if you have a coworker who you like and they screw something up, you're like, that could happen to anyone. If it's someone you hate, you're unforgiving for the exact same thing. 
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 02, 2016, 03:01:44 pm
YOUR candidate's flaws are evidence that s/he is a terrible person, unfit to govern, and a danger to America. If you can't see that there is something seriously wrong with you.
MY candidate's flaws are overblown by the media and the opposition, and ultimately unimportant. And frankly I'm willing to live with them because I support his/her policies.

My cross-post of this (slightly modified) to my FB feed has been fuck*ng wonderful. By which I mean the exact people I expected to show up and sound like nutjobs have done so.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 02, 2016, 03:04:13 pm
All of which isn't to say I'm sitting out or voting third-party. I DO happen to think the anti-Hillary arguments are way overblown (she's a liar, OMG the e-mail, Benghazi), and Trump's shit is far more troubling (basically wants to dissolve NATO, deport Muslims, start a race war, thinks he can get what he wants by being sufficiently assertive). But trying to prove that to people who are dead-set the other way is a goddamned waste of time.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on November 02, 2016, 06:21:36 pm
A great moment on Twitter yesterday: Scott Walker tweeting "If you like the past 8 years, vote @HillaryClinton," with a picture of Obama and HRC hugging.

He meant it as an insult, but he got a lot of RTs and replies like, "OK, cool, will do."
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on November 04, 2016, 07:52:13 am
I've weighed in on the campaign on Facebook...

Assessing the candidates:

Donald Trump. I was never fooled by Trump. I don't remember when I became aware of him, long before he became a presidential candidate, even before he became a reality television star. He's been a famous person for decades and I've never liked him. He's always been as deplorable as he is today. Above everything else we've learned about Trump during the past 18 months there's one thing more to consider. Much has been made of his hair and fake orange tan. The entire world thinks he literally looks like a clown. Yet on some level he thinks he's pulling it off, that we can't see how ridiculous he looks. We can't have that level of self delusion in the White House.

Hillary Clinton. Much has been made of her poor judgement on voting for the Iraq war, but even from an early age she displayed poor judgement. It's been reported that as a teenager she was the President of The Fabian fan club. In a world where Elvis already existed, she was the countries biggest fan of a second rate Elvis wannabe. That is a dangerous level of poor judgement.

Gary Johnson. He's an affable guy, easy going and cool. Was practically ignored by the media for most of this election cycle. When the media finally turned their spotlight in his direction he proved himself to be a nincompoop. The last time we had an affable nincompoop for president it was an unmitigated disaster for the country.

Jill Stein. She's a progressive. Intelligent and knowledgeable on the issues, she is the candidate I am the most closely aligned with. One problem, she has an irritating tic. Every time, before she begins to speak she smacks her lips..Ain't no way I'm going to be able to take four years of that.

Bernie, oh Bernie. Why have you forsaken us Bernie!
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on November 07, 2016, 04:41:04 pm
I signed up to be a volunteer for a voting-rights-protection organization. They have a hotline of volunteer lawyers, and I'm gonna stand outside the polling place helping any voters with questions or problems (I voted last year but they say I'm not listed on the registry, did I bring the right ID, etc). I was told to indicate when I'm available to volunteer, and I have no job, so I said any time.

So tomorrow I have a 13 hour shift, with no partner, in some North Philly neighborhood I'm not familiar with. Ugh. This is my penance for being too much of a Sarcasm Man to volunteer for any candidate.

I wish they would at least give me a t-shirt to wear or something. "Hi, I'm a random 20-something (white) dude who you've never seen before, ask me if you have any questions about voting" is not a great pitch.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on November 07, 2016, 11:14:21 pm
I'm just going to go with what he said (http://theconcourse.deadspin.com/donald-trump-is-going-to-get-his-ass-kicked-on-tuesday-1788618628).

Especially the 'butternut turd' part.

I wish I could be as confident as that guy. I do love the butternut turd part.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on November 09, 2016, 03:57:21 am
I am feeling physically ill. I'm not sure I can watch much more coverage.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: theinevitable on November 09, 2016, 07:06:31 am
America: bad.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: miles on November 09, 2016, 04:22:40 pm
My fear is that people underestimate Trump and overestimate the American public.

I think we mostly overestimated the public, though.
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: pmcd9 on November 10, 2016, 11:02:28 pm
I wonder of the Republican congress is going to play ball with Voldemort?

In short, yes, they will definitely work together. My guess is that the Republican congress will set the agenda. In spite of Trump's bluster he's easily manipulated. So we'll see some of Trump's crazy shit go through, but we'll mainly see crazy shit driven through by congress. Obamacare is done for, The Iran nuclear deal is done for. Y'all ready for war with Iran?
Title: Re: #feelthebern
Post by: JorgeFabregas on November 11, 2016, 04:13:04 pm
In spite of Trump's bluster he's easily manipulated.
It seems that if you stroke his ego, he purrs like a kitten.