The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: Asherdan on May 16, 2016, 12:13:02 am

Title: The Social Chair...
Post by: Asherdan on May 16, 2016, 12:13:02 am
(http://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s--k5m636Zb--/m5dvkzj95cd6xl0k4nnx.gif)ble of great things.
Title: Re: The Social Chair...
Post by: AugustWest on May 16, 2016, 12:47:33 am
Hear hear!  Kudos.  Of course, it was bound to happen...
Title: Re: The Social Chair...
Post by: wombat on May 16, 2016, 01:36:06 am
I'm kinda gonna miss him complaining about grad school.
Title: Re: The Social Chair...
Post by: theinevitable on May 16, 2016, 04:28:04 am
Don't worry, I'll complain about whatever job I get too. Thanks, guys.

My parents met my crazy boss, that was fun. It felt kind of crappy that my parents and siblings were here for such a short time, and that we spent so much of it driving back and forth to various events. But great to see them in general. There was a weird gap of time on Friday and I took my brother to Chinatown to get lunch. He hadn't been to New York as an adult and has been living in a small city in the midwest for the last year, so he was pretty impressed I think.

Saw President Obama speak and got sunburnt and very cold (4 hours of cold wind, sprinkling showers, and having dressed for yesterday's weather under my robes). His speech was pretty good, lots of laugh lines. Everyone was cheering throughout the whole speech, between him saying flattering things about Rutgers and making jokes about New Jersey, making references to his accomplishments in office, etc. Talked about how New Jersey and Rutgers are evidence that immigrants and diversity make this country great. Big applause for that.

Then walked home, ate some leftovers, took a shower, ate at IHOP. Now feeling kind of dazed overall.

One strange thing. Hard to explain, but I got a scholarship when I came here that covered a pretty large chunk of my tuition, but somehow thought that was fairly normal. Lots of people I talked to here said they came because they were offered some kind of financial assistance so I never thought twice about it. But at the department graduation ceremony there was a page listing recipients of special awards, and I was on there as having gotten The Namesake Of Department Scholarship. So I guess it was a bigger deal than I thought.
Title: Re: The Social Chair...
Post by: pmcd9 on May 16, 2016, 10:32:25 am
Congratulations on your accomplishment!

Title: Re: The Social Chair...
Post by: pmcd9 on May 16, 2016, 11:00:47 am
The President's Commencement Speech (https://youtu.be/xkCABjFT32A)
Title: Re: The Social Chair...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on May 16, 2016, 12:37:26 pm
Proper. Glad to hear you stuck around for the Prez. Congrats on the degree, it's no small feat.