The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
The Wide World of Webcomics => Not Daisy Owl => Topic started by: theinevitable on May 24, 2016, 03:44:04 pm
-
Guys, comics are so good. But I'm so picky and don't know how to find more stuff that I like. A manga guy I like has been publishing a new series, and it seems cool, but I can ONLY find it for free illegally online. I haven't found anywhere that it's available for purchase, although I did find a few blogs that said "we used to host fan-translated issues of this comic, but it is now available in the US so we took them down."
Comics are a thing where I would definitely pay some kind of subscription to get them digitally or monthly on crappy paper, rather than buying 3-inch-thick books for $20 that I'll read in 2 days that will sit on my shelf forever. It looks like almost all of the manga I like were published by 1 magazine in Japan, but it isn't available in English. Guess I have to learn Japanese. Yeesh.
My really good friend from St Louis is making comics. And I'm mad at him, because he sent us all his first full comic book but says he doesn't think he will actually publish it. This thing is great. I see why he doesn't want to put it out, if I'm being empathetic, because it's definitely a collection of examples of a guy trying out different styles. But damn, it's so cool, and has a very professional polish that I think is missing from a lot of Indie Comics stuff. I just want him to publish something and sell it so I can tell everyone to buy it. Maybe I will scan a single page to share with you guys.
Anyway. Are there good web comics anymore? My desire for comics is insatiable right now even though I told myself I would read some real books after graduation.
-
I was just noticing lately, with some shock, that I don't really read any webcomics anymore. I am even a Patreon supporter of a couple and have gotten out of the habit of reading even those.
I think xkcd is still good. I'm always glad when I remember to read that. Also whatever John Allison is doing - he is like the anti-Onstad of webcomics in terms of reliability and productivity.
But I also find that I am buying more and more comics. Which is kind of pain because for a while, my bookshelves were full and it was OK... I buy comics digitally once in a while, but the reading experience is way inferior. I'd need a much huger tablet than I have, I think.
-
I read:
ErfWorld
Married to the Sea
Order of the Stick
Penny Arcade
Tom the Dancing Bug
Toothpaste for Dinner
Wondermark
XKCD
Plus some others that rarely publish (e.g. PBF, Peep). It helps that I still use an RSS reader.
So about comic books. There's a comic book store at the mall near my office. I think this is good, and I feel like I should support them in some way. But I have enough trouble keeping up with all the media sources I'm already into, and I feel like adding "comic books" to that list would be kind of a waste of time and money. I feel conflicted about it.
-
Also, please resist the temptation to read illegal fan translations online. I used to do this once in a while but I now know a couple of people who work in the industry and have been convinced that it really affects the market. If you want more Japanese comics translated, you have to put your money where your mouth is and buy stuff, or more translations will not get published. I have gotten to the point where I can muddle my way through some manga in Japanese and lately have bought almost as much in the original language as in translation. But it will be a long time if ever before that's actually a fun and comfortable reading experience. So I want to see stuff get published in English.
-
Whoa: this week Amazon started a $7 a month subscription for "unlimited comics." But it seems like mostly not the kind of comics I like.