The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: G3K on January 24, 2004, 09:45:47 pm

Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: G3K on January 24, 2004, 09:45:47 pm
Freezepop (http://www.freezepop.com).  It's got nothing to do with popsicles or Otterpops, although Philippe does indeed resemble one.

It's actually an inane Boston techno-pop band (with a Flash-infested site; watch out) who for some bizarre reason decided to record a song entitled "Here Comes A Special Boy" (http://freezepop.net/listen/songs/Freezepop_Here%20Comes%20a%20Special%20Boy.mp3) in tribute to our very own Philippe.  I'm not sure what I think of it but it's amusing in some way.  I forgot where this post was going shoot me.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: pmcd9 on January 24, 2004, 09:51:52 pm
That was indescribably delightful.

~Paul
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: wombat on January 24, 2004, 10:26:29 pm
Oh yes. That's exactly what a song about Philippe should sound like.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: bluebird_of_unhappiness on January 25, 2004, 03:25:02 am
Props to the pops. Sounds good, definitely Phillipe-ish. The rhymes are a little sketchy at times, but I mean the mere fact that they put time into a Phillipe song makes it enjoyable.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: V-Adore on January 25, 2004, 06:31:55 am
Quote from: "bluebird_of_unhappiness"
Props to the pops. Sounds good, definitely Phillipe-ish. The rhymes are a little sketchy at times, but I mean the mere fact that they put time into a Phillipe song makes it enjoyable.

Well, the sketchy rhymes are only appropriate. This is, in fact, just what Wombat said: exactly what a Philippe song should sound like.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: andalucia on January 25, 2004, 03:50:33 pm
As much as I could go either way on the song, the link-image totally sells it for me.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: St_Zartan on January 26, 2004, 02:16:31 am
I cannot stand Freezepop. I had a friend of mine let me borrow one of their albums - all right, more correctly, I downloaded it. Here's what I thought of it:

It is the most soulless, inauthentic, by-the-numbers attempt at alt.culture bandwagoneering I've seen sashay down the fuck*ng runway in a long goddamn time. It may seem a bit weird to damn a band in this "genre" (i.e. electric pop by and for temporarily fickle trust fund kids) for being soulless, but my stars. If only I'd seen the pattern sooner, I could have been Freezepop:

- Find a chick to be the "face" of your synthpop band. She will talk, sounding bored-as-you-please (but with a touch, of course, of just-beneath-the-surface grrrrrrrlish enthusiasm - OMG MAYBE SHE LURKS OUR FANSITE MESSAGE BOARD), and sing tunelessly over...

- Music that is more or less the worst of Overclocked Remix, circa 1999: carnival music for the attention deficit generation made with an unofficial plugin for fuck*ng Nesticle.

- And don't forget to tap, tap, tap that word-of-mouth market! You'll do this by dropping in a careful balance of common pop music themes and geek / alt / meta-indie references. Did that chick just say grep?? In a LURRVE METAPHOR???? She may have, and won't you look smart for being the first one to have noticed / appreciated / shelled out for it. Can YOU think of an 80's pop culture touchpoint that hasn't been made into a meme??? HOUSTON WE ARE GO FOR OUR NEXT SINGLE -- ON VINYL!!
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: jough on January 26, 2004, 04:21:04 am
Freezepop isn't a real band, is it?  I mean, I thought they were some shitty club band that we've only heard about because Onstad is friends with one of them.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: G3K on January 26, 2004, 04:31:48 am
Quote
Freezepop isn't a real band, is it? I mean, I thought they were some shitty club band that we've only heard about because Onstad is friends with one of them.


I'd never heard of them before, period.  Of course, I hadn't read this board more than a half-dozen times before yesterday, either.

Although I did pick up the feeling that, even though you moderate the board, you seem to really dislike the author of the comic it's dedicated to... what's up with that, if you don't mind my asking? :?
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 26, 2004, 04:40:26 am
Quote from: "G3K"
Quote
Freezepop isn't a real band, is it? I mean, I thought they were some shitty club band that we've only heard about because Onstad is friends with one of them.


I'd never heard of them before, period.  Of course, I hadn't read this board more than a half-dozen times before yesterday, either.

Although I did pick up the feeling that, even though you moderate the board, you seem to really dislike the author of the comic it's dedicated to... what's up with that, if you don't mind my asking? :?


I never thought Jough disliked Onstad...Jough's very egalitarian. He'll give you just what shit you deserve,  sometimes more but never less.  It's his way.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: andalucia on January 26, 2004, 04:41:09 am
Go on, Jough... tell him.  There's no reason not to talk about..................... the Incident.

Edit:  Curse you for being ever-so-slightly quicker on the comeback draw, Aloha.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: jough on January 26, 2004, 04:44:09 am
Yeah, if you start acting like a dick, G3K, I'll call you on it too.

No, I have no problem with Mr. Onstad.  He's just a little pissy at times, and tends to be a bit of a creep to people that like his work, let alone criticise it.

But artist types are renowned for that.  :roll:
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: V-Adore on January 26, 2004, 04:45:11 am
Quote from: "G3K"

Although I did pick up the feeling that, even though you moderate the board, you seem to really dislike the author of the comic it's dedicated to... what's up with that, if you don't mind my asking? :?

Is bad mojo, Padawan. Is complicated.

Anyway -- I'm not entirely sure if I would dig Freezepop doing much else beyond this. But for this little Philippe song, I can deal with it. It's sort of charmingly inept, if that makes any sense.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: G3K on January 26, 2004, 04:55:27 am
Yeah, I guess that explains why the Dumbrella board was on its last day of existence the first time I tried to access it.  "I can't handle this anymore" blah blah blah.  

At least he's not Chris Baldwin of Bruno.  That guy is fuck*ng annoying.  And the comic is usually quite good.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: jough on January 26, 2004, 05:29:34 am
The Freezepop girl is almost hot.  The music sounds like the song that played when you pressed the "DEMO" button on a 1984 Casiotone Mini Keyboard.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: G3K on January 26, 2004, 05:44:12 am
Hey, I liked the demo music.   :P
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: jough on January 26, 2004, 06:11:01 am
I never said that I disliked it.

That, and the synth sound of a dog barking.  Good stuff.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: slink on January 26, 2004, 11:45:54 am
I had somehow come across Freezepop previous to this. But as then, I am just too scared to make the click.
Zartan's comments also lead me to believe my gut reaction upon first sight.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: elfbabe on January 26, 2004, 02:45:25 pm
I don't know what people expected from a song about an alive stuffed animal, but I liked it, in the way that I like neat things that do not necessarily have any serious artistic merit anyway.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: FancieBabie on January 27, 2004, 04:03:14 am
i LOVE this song!!
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: V-Adore on January 27, 2004, 05:34:08 am
Quote from: "FancieBabie"
i LOVE this song!!

Wow, now I feel dirty for liking this.

To beat Jough to it: weren't you supposed to be banned and/or dead?
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 27, 2004, 06:25:41 am
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Quote from: "FancieBabie"
i LOVE this song!!

Wow, now I feel dirty for liking this.

To beat Jough to it: weren't you supposed to be banned and/or dead?


I was thinking the same thing, new avatar notwithstanding.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: jough on January 27, 2004, 06:26:57 am
Yeah, dude.  You say you're going to kill yourself because we don't like your web comic, and then, like, you're still here.

LAME
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: AugustWest on January 27, 2004, 02:42:37 pm
Wasn't that the Puzzle Bobble music?
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 27, 2004, 11:28:57 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
I cannot stand Freezepop. I had a friend of mine let me borrow one of their albums - all right, more correctly, I downloaded it. Here's what I thought of it:

It is the most soulless, inauthentic, by-the-numbers attempt at alt.culture bandwagoneering I've seen sashay down the fuck*ng runway in a long goddamn time. It may seem a bit weird to damn a band in this "genre" (i.e. electric pop by and for temporarily fickle trust fund kids) for being soulless, but my stars. If only I'd seen the pattern sooner, I could have been Freezepop:

- Find a chick to be the "face" of your synthpop band. She will talk, sounding bored-as-you-please (but with a touch, of course, of just-beneath-the-surface grrrrrrrlish enthusiasm - OMG MAYBE SHE LURKS OUR FANSITE MESSAGE BOARD), and sing tunelessly over...

- Music that is more or less the worst of Overclocked Remix, circa 1999: carnival music for the attention deficit generation made with an unofficial plugin for fuck*ng Nesticle.

- And don't forget to tap, tap, tap that word-of-mouth market! You'll do this by dropping in a careful balance of common pop music themes and geek / alt / meta-indie references. Did that chick just say grep?? In a LURRVE METAPHOR???? She may have, and won't you look smart for being the first one to have noticed / appreciated / shelled out for it. Can YOU think of an 80's pop culture touchpoint that hasn't been made into a meme??? HOUSTON WE ARE GO FOR OUR NEXT SINGLE -- ON VINYL!!


AMEN. Look, I run a club night that specializes in electroclash and the like, and Freezepop is what I would term the 'cleopatra records' of the genre. Those in the know what I'm talking about. Maybe they even -are- on Cleopatra...
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: Lane on January 28, 2004, 08:49:11 pm
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I run a club night that specializes in electroclash and the like...


Where?
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: Bobby Isosceles on January 28, 2004, 08:54:37 pm
Quote from: "Lane"
Quote from: "Bobby Isosceles"
I run a club night that specializes in electroclash and the like...


Where?


http://www.chiaroscuro-dc.com
Title: where I heard of Freezepop
Post by: allthegoodthings on February 06, 2004, 06:46:34 pm
Freezepop did one of the first level songs (Science Genius Girl) for Sony's Frequency game for PS2.  For the Frequency sequel Amplitude, Freezepop added a song called Super Sprode. That and I think Penny Arcade dropped their name once too.
Title: Re: where I heard of Freezepop
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2004, 05:48:46 am
Quote from: "allthegoodthings"
Freezepop did one of the first level songs (Science Genius Girl) for Sony's Frequency game for PS2.  For the Frequency sequel Amplitude, Freezepop added a song called Super Sprode. That and I think Penny Arcade dropped their name once too.


Thank you for that update.

~Paul
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: V-Adore on February 07, 2004, 08:47:43 pm
Okay, so I like "Science Genius Girl." I am nonetheless reluctance to actually buy an album, because what happens if I like Freezepop? There goes all my hard-won indie cred!*

Also, I'm not sure I can entirely like any band which sells katakana T-shirts. Hot Topic, much?

* Read: "I bought the Albumfight."
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: slink on February 07, 2004, 10:36:42 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Also, I'm not sure I can entirely like any band which sells katakana T-shirts.


I'm guessing that doesn't go for Japanese bands?
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: V-Adore on February 08, 2004, 02:02:24 am
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "V-Adore"

Also, I'm not sure I can entirely like any band which sells katakana T-shirts.


I'm guessing that doesn't go for Japanese bands?

Actual Japanese bands are allowed, on account of presumably not being Japanoposers.
Title: slightly off topic
Post by: Nabubrush on February 08, 2004, 07:20:09 pm
Hey Lane, didn't you live in Fairbanks at one point?
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 10, 2004, 01:42:06 am
Are you moving from or to Alaska? I remember you do something with oil...
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: Nabubrush on February 10, 2004, 01:46:14 am
This is kind of odd for me, and might be pissing some folks off - having little chunks of information about my move showing up in all sorts of different threads. Anyway, I'm moving from Wasilla, AK to Portland, OR on or around the fourth of March. I'm driving out, pulling a trailer, for the slightly daunting 2400 mile (approx.) trip. Also, my cat Bob will be riding shotgun. He's demanded driving privileges, but he plays too much GTA Vice City for me to trust him behind the wheel.

Also, I make oil (we call it erl, or earl).
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 10, 2004, 01:56:45 am
Sounds like an Awesome trip down a long, long highway. Just you and the cat? Sounds awesome.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: Nabubrush on February 10, 2004, 02:08:37 am
Well, I'm going to keep thinking about the light at the end of the tunnel, which is the cute girl waiting for me to get there.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: wombat on February 10, 2004, 02:45:37 am
I thought only, like, dead dinosaurs and thousands of years of pressure could make oil.  But then I looked it up on Google and it's seaweed and plankton, not dinosaurs.  What a disappointment.  So I hope it's true that Nabubrush makes it instead.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 10, 2004, 03:40:21 am
I thought he was talking about his pores, and that he was in love with his dermatologist. I also thought it polite not to comment.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: Bozack on February 10, 2004, 06:42:44 am
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Also, I make oil (we call it erl, or earl).


You make oil, and you're driving 2400 miles with a cat. Well, thanks, man. I was starting to think I was pretty cool, and suddenly there's a guy who makes OIL and drives with his cat. Why not finish it, man. Go ahead, tell me you shoot lazers from your eyes, I've given up.
Title: Freezepop & Philippe
Post by: Nabubrush on February 10, 2004, 05:44:49 pm
They're more thermal beams, really.