The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: theinevitable on July 19, 2016, 12:13:09 am
-
Any of you guys check this thing out? I am currently supporting a cartoonist I really like with a small donation every month. I am into the idea that I can contribute a small amount (my pledge is ~ the price of a latte every month) to making sure an underpaid creative person I like can be comfortable, whether she's spending it on Life's Necessities or literally a beer or coffee or whatever.
Now this woman from St Louis is posting about hers. It's interesting, I did not realize you could do this, but hers is now set to a pledge amount "per creation" which feels a bit weirder to me. Firstly, I have no idea how long a piece takes, and do not want to contribute more than a small amount per month if I were to join once I find a job. Secondly, hers has "rewards" like getting digital files or postcards of the pieces... which I don't want at all. I don't want to buy stuff and create more work for my friend, I want to send her some money to show my support for her work. Hmm.
It's also interesting that paying for a digital file really bothers me, but it doesn't bother me to just send the person money. I'd much much rather do the second.
Update: so it looks like I actually only donated a total of $10 to the other cartoonist. She posted that she started feeling weird about not posting enough "exclusive content" (that I didn't care about anyway!) and she hasn't accepted donations since. Darn.
-
I give a dollar a month to Drew of Toothpaste for Dinner fame. Not much, but it's something, and I figure it adds up. Drew and Natalie keep mutliple webcomics going on a daily basis, so why not.
A couple years ago he put on his site, "I will send a drawing of a butt to the first 500 people to send me $5." I am now the proud owner of a Drew butt drawing.
-
I also contribute like a dollar a month to Drew also even though I hardly ever remember to read the comic anymore. Lately he sent around a nice little print even to people who weren't at the level to get stuff. Most of them have a level where you don't get perks so the one you describe seems unusual to me.
I also contribute about that much to a few other comics which I also usually forget to read except when I get the monthly email that Patreon has charged me. I think one of them is "per creation" but it has a cap - like if she suddenly gets crazy productive you can pick a limit to how much you contribute.
-
OK, I looked at it again and there is a way to set a maximum donation per month. I set a maximum of 3 bucks. I think I can handle that.
-
Damn, this lady is not being chill about me giving her a tiny amount of money. I recognize that like me, she is defined by Mild But Persistent Worrying.
-
Lord, I'm one of only two people who signed up. How embarrassing!
-
This whole modern business of interacting with creators of stuff is great but also sometimes awkward.