The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: theinevitable on August 02, 2016, 10:16:46 pm
-
Lately I really want to play video games. But none of them are really doing it for me. I was trying A Link to the Past and got fairly far before I got distracted. Tried replaying Baldur's Gate and it was not as amazing as I remembered from back in the day.
Now trying Super Metroid. It's funny, I have never played this game or anything like it, but this is definitely what I thought all video games were as a child. A space lady jumping around and shooting a laser gun at aliens. I'm really digging the vibe but my reflexes are atrocious.
I got interested in trying Metroid because apparently it is considered the inspiration for a whole genre of newer indie games-- "metroidvanias"-- and the description of what that entails made me want to play one of the originals. Side-scrolling action games where you explore new areas that you can access after getting new items. I also read that the Castlevania that came out for the playstation combined that concept with ideas from Zelda... I want to play that but I have absolutely no way to play a Playstation game.
-
I think Symphony of the Night is a fairly undemanding game to emulate if you've got a PC that shipped with an OS newer than WinXP. Of the following games in the series I would suggest checking out Aria of Sorrow and Order of Ecclesia.
If you're interested in metroidvanias in general, give Cave Story (http://www.cavestory.org/) a shot. There's an updated version being sold on Steam, but the original freeware game is still available for download. There's also the recently completed remake of Metroid 2 (http://metroid2remake.blogspot.com/), which until now had only existed as a black and white Gameboy title. Nintendo has issued a C&D takedown, but I'm certain there's a mirror to be found somewhere.
-
I cannot play the remake of Metroid 2 because I have a mac. I will look into Symphony of the Night though.
-
I'm actually playing the remake on Linux through WINE.
-
Oooh. Hmm. Intriguing.
-
Stardew Valley, this game is better than real life.
What if my life is all wrong, and I actually want to live in a rural small town. I guess it doesn't matter because the kind of rural small town I fantasize about does not exist anywhere anymore (it is like, the rural small town of nostalgic Studio Ghibli movies).
-
Stardew Valley, this game is better than real life.
What if my life is all wrong, and I actually want to live in a rural small town. I guess it doesn't matter because the kind of rural small town I fantasize about does not exist anywhere anymore (it is like, the rural small town of nostalgic Studio Ghibli movies).
You laugh, but the experience of starting this flower farm with the Mrs. has really made me regret I didn't consider farming or something similar as a younger person. Never even a flicker on the radar when I was younger, but now I desparately wish I had the financial wherewithal to retire and farm flowers full-time.
-
You laugh, but the experience of starting this flower farm with the Mrs. has really made me regret I didn't consider farming or something similar as a younger person. Never even a flicker on the radar when I was younger, but now I desparately wish I had the financial wherewithal to retire and farm flowers full-time.
We used to chuckle at the FFA kids in high school, and now I feel like an ass for that. For several reasons, but not least of all because I kind of dig farming now. A running gag with the missus is that we're gonna ditch for Upperville or someplace and open an heirloom pig farm. "Why heirloom pigs?" "Because they're DELICIOUS." Not actually gonna happen, but I can't help but wonder.
-
Yeah, it definitely sounds good.
-
Warning: extreme time-waster.
http://www.decisionproblem.com/paperclips/index2.html
-
I would love to live in a small town like you find in Hollywood movies where everyone is helpful and kind and friendly, but not racist, paranoid, xenophobic, etc...
-
The problem is that where ever you go, people are the same. I hope that this is also the solution.