The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Sports & Leisure => Topic started by: Asherdan on March 23, 2018, 10:42:19 pm

Title: This is a loss for me...
Post by: Asherdan on March 23, 2018, 10:42:19 pm
(https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/s---uBhIrEa--/oqil2ysvksn6vmluk2of.gif)
Title: Re: This is a loss for me...
Post by: wombat on March 23, 2018, 11:52:49 pm
Feels wrong but hard to argue against.
Title: Re: This is a loss for me...
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on March 26, 2018, 02:05:40 pm
I've been saying for years: a hot dog is a sandwich in the same way a square is a rectangle. Technically correct, but no one actually calls it that in daily usage.
Given that RGB is in a field that's all about the technical definitions of things, I can see how she'd reach that conclusion.
Title: Re: This is a loss for me...
Post by: wombat on March 26, 2018, 07:39:39 pm
If I hadn't more or less slept through semantics classes in grad school I'd be able to say something intelligent about how word meanings are like fuzzy sets and if you look at the psychology of them, even for something well-defined technically like "bird," you can get people to rank members of the category so that a robin is a better example of a bird than a eagle or a chicken.  So basically whether a hot dog is a sandwich is not a yes or no question. A hot dog is a peripheral member of the category sandwich whereas a tuna on whole wheat is a canonical sandwich.

But never mind, what Carlos said makes at least as much sense.

Title: Re: This is a loss for me...
Post by: AugustWest on March 28, 2018, 11:54:30 am
I'm bound by stare decisis to honor the Justice's decision on the matter.
Title: Re: This is a loss for me...
Post by: pmcd9 on April 23, 2018, 03:27:27 am
I think I've always felt this way even if I never admitted it.