The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board
Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: pmcd9 on January 26, 2004, 04:21:39 pm
-
I'm not gonna stop raving on these mixdisc.
I'm especially infatuated with Neko Case. The Deep Red Bells is a great song.
Is the The New Pornographers song from the same album as the one on sjlimmers disc?
~Paul
-
I've been wondering when I was going to get my own topic!
Is the The New Pornographers song from the same album as the one on sjlimmers disc?
Yes, they're both from Electric Version.
I luuuuuuuuuurrrve me some Neko Case. Not only is she a terrific singer/songwriter, she's also hella sexy. If I had one of those lists of "Five People I Can Do if the Opportunity Arises and My Wife Agrees Not to Object," Neko would be on it.
-
A four-star disc, fergoddamnsure. Especially for the sippy-cup artwork.
-
A four-star disc, fergoddamnsure. Especially for the sippy-cup artwork.
I've got three disc in the running for best packaging. This one is at or near the top.
~Paul
-
What the hell is an Arab Strap anyway?
~Paul
-
What the hell is an Arab Strap anyway?
~Paul
Paul, Paul, Paul. Have you learned nothing from the Bukkake Fiasco (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=607&start=50)?
Band Name!
-
Paul, Paul, Paul. Have you learned nothing from the Bukkake Fiasco (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=607&start=50)?
Don't worry, dude, leave it to me to explain this with my usual class and taste.
An Arab Strap is something you strap around your ding-dong and bozack, with the express intention of cutting off circulation to the general Rad Chilies Vicinity. Understanding why one would want to do so is left as an exercise for the reader.
Also, yes, Neko Case is quite the looker.
-
I actually just researched this myself.
The FAQ on Belle & Sebastian's web site says (http://www.jeepster.co.uk/belleandsebastian/faq.htm#12) "It's a device used to help reluctant hosss to mate," so within the context of the song I'd say that's your answer.
However, you'll get something different depending on who you ask. The biography for the band Arab Strap (http://www.arabstrap.co.uk/content/biography/biogaphy.html) (no relation to B&S) indicates that it is some sort of S&M-ish schlong-holding harness. And a poster on the Arab Strap message board (http://www.arabstrap.co.uk/content/board/viewtopic.php?t=29) says it's what they use to whip naughty Middle Eastern school children.
In any event, I don't want to be near one.
-
I just got this today. So much mix-CD love right here, especially for the packaging, which is quite simply gorgeous. I feel privileged to own this.
-
Paul, Paul, Paul. Have you learned nothing from the Bukkake Fiasco (http://achewood.plagiarist.com/viewtopic.php?t=607&start=50)?
Don't worry, dude, leave it to me to explain this with my usual class and taste.
An Arab Strap is something you strap around your ding-dong and bozack, with the express intention of cutting off circulation to the general Rad Chilies Vicinity. Understanding why one would want to do so is left as an exercise for the reader.
Also, yes, Neko Case is quite the looker.
Thank you Zartan. And here I was guessing it was a hair style like say Fu Manchu or Mutton Chops.
~Paul
-
The biography for the band Arab Strap (http://www.arabstrap.co.uk/content/biography/biogaphy.html) (no relation to B&S) indicates that it is some sort of S&M-ish schlong-holding harness.
So is Arab Strap the new Steely Dan?
~Paul
-
It's kinda like Luddite Viagra
-
An "arab strap" is a type of underwear.
It's not a c*ck string, or something to make the phallus look erect as much as it is a cock sheath, akin to something you'd put a sword into. The bozak functions as a hilt.
-
Damn, I don't even want to know what a 'Steely Dan' is now.
-
Damn, I don't even want to know what a 'Steely Dan' is now.
If I'm recalling correctly, "Steely Dan" was the pet name given to a dildo in Naked Lunch.
Also, "Rosebud" was the name of Charles Foster Kane's sled because it was also the pet name William Randolph Hearst gave to a certain particular intimate feature of his mistress. That Orson Welles, he was a rebel.
-
It was in "A Clockwork Orange."
-
Damn, I don't even want to know what a 'Steely Dan' is now.
If I'm recalling correctly, "Steely Dan" was the pet name given to a dildo in Naked Lunch.
Also, "Rosebud" was the name of Charles Foster Kane's sled because it was also the pet name William Randolph Hearst gave to a certain particular intimate feature of his mistress. That Orson Welles, he was a rebel.
Also, Verbal Kint was Kaiser Soze. And Dorothy never left home, she was dreaming the whole time. And Vader is Luke's father.
-
It was in "A Clockwork Orange."
No, that was Incense and Peppermints.
~Paul
-
At the end, Legolas dies.
(Wow, it's a good thing that I'm not the mod here, or else most of this would so be a thread split entitled "*** WARNING *** SPOILERS ***".)
-
If I'm recalling correctly, "Steely Dan" was the pet name given to a dildo in Naked Lunch..
The one in the book was Steely Dan III, if I recall correctly. Led to some bewildersome ancestry questions for me.
Also, the Belle&Sebastian song/album are named after the band- apparently they were friends, or fans or something (both are veryveryscottish, anyways)
-
I thought the band got its name from the B&S album/song.
-
You may well be right. The world of indie-rock inbreeding is sometimes too much for me.
-
If I'm reading this correctly, isn't the band "Steely Dan" and weren't they around before the B & S crew were born?
Just thinking out loud here. And tucking a Steely Dan into an Arab Strap.
I must have missed something. Steely Dan were Scottish?
-
Just got this today, too! the packaging is indeed something to marvel at :D
I'm still listening (on track 15 now) ...I'd have to say this is good stuff ...not counting what I already had before, I luuurve tracks 3, 4, 5, 10, 11, 14 and 15 best! :)
[edit: okay, add track 17 to that list! I like those folky country-ish songs]
----
As for the arab strap / b&s song/album thing ...I was aware of the pervy definitions of the term :)
...not sure exactly who took from who or even if they took from each other. I think arab strap is a better band than b&s though... I do have my share of b&s albums compared to the one arab strap I own, but still, I don't have to skip any songs unlike b&s ..it takes many b&s albums to one arab strap to make me happy :D
the b&s arab strap song was the first I ever heard (back in '98) cause some english guy gave me a mixtape ...that is a good song.
-
If I'm reading this correctly, isn't the band "Steely Dan" and weren't they around before the B & S crew were born?
Just thinking out loud here. And tucking a Steely Dan into an Arab Strap.
I must have missed something. Steely Dan were Scottish?
Nope, "the band" in question referred to Arab Strap, not Steely Dan. Sorry about the ambiguity.
-
Don't make me drop science. Do not.
Arab Strap the band came before The Boy With The Arab Strap, that wonderful album by Belle & Sebastian. The title track is rumored to be about Arab Strap's lead singer; if you listen to the song (one of B&S's best in my adoring opinion), you'll note that the chorus goes the boy from the Arab Strap at one point. Said lead singer was actually quite incensed at B&S, because quote Arab Strap was on the front of their album in bigger letters than Belle and Sebastian, and that isn't fuck*ng cricket unquote. And then all going on about how Arab Strap fans were mistakenly buying the Belle & Sebastian album.
WAY TO UNDERESTIMATE YOUR FANS, THERE, JACKASS
I've heard Arab Strap and was underwhelmed. Belle & Sebastian, however, are one of my favorite bands, ever. That is the soft dick on this whole situation.
PS Starlight: Skipping songs? Which ones?
PPS Who wouldn't want to be referred to as the boy with the filthy laugh?
-
PS Starlight: Skipping songs? Which ones?
Well, I'm mostly talking about their latest release ...I only start realllly liking it at track 6 'I'm a Cuckoo' ..the ones before it were just lacking.
'fold your hands child..' (and did y'all know those are the mum twins on the cover? I sure didn't...) is the only one I don't skip many songs on though sometimes I skip that one where they do that weird dramatic deep voice... track 3 or 4 maybe? I forget...
...and really, this doesn't mean I don't like b&s for the record. hell, I even own Storytelling and that wasn't even a real album! the only album I don't own is the sinister one... I don't own some of the singles either, but meh. I hardly buy singles.
anyway, sorry to turn elitist bastard with my remark there... heh
-
...though sometimes I skip that one where they do that weird dramatic deep voice... track 3 or 4 maybe? I forget...
That's okay, kiddo - everyone skips "Beyond the Sunrise".
hell, I even own Storytelling and that wasn't even a real album!
Which I downloaded rather than purchased, despite my thirst for new material (and there are some wonderful tracks on that disc) because of the fuck*ng dialogue snippets. Storytelling the movie and Storytelling the album are both pretty damned great in their own rights, but those fuck*ng dialogue snippets - so very inappropriate.
-
If I'm reading this correctly, isn't the band "Steely Dan" and weren't they around before the B & S crew were born?
Just thinking out loud here. And tucking a Steely Dan into an Arab Strap.
I must have missed something. Steely Dan were Scottish?
Nope, "the band" in question referred to Arab Strap, not Steely Dan. Sorry about the ambiguity.
But what about Bukakke Fiasco? Where's the love for the newest, happenin' hypno-jive emo tech-punk power trio from Dayton? Where, I ask you! Where?
-
hell, I even own Storytelling and that wasn't even a real album!
Which I downloaded rather than purchased, despite my thirst for new material (and there are some wonderful tracks on that disc) because of the fuck*ng dialogue snippets. Storytelling the movie and Storytelling the album are both pretty damned great in their own rights, but those fuck*ng dialogue snippets - so very inappropriate.
I do admit liking the dialogue snippets when I first got it ..I actually made a mix incorporating some into a new story! harrr... actually the best clip I used wasn't even from that disc though - dasjackpot ...a friend gave it to me. if I find it, maybe I'll upload it and post ...very strange yet very addicting :D
I bought the Waking Up To Us single ..that was the most wasted one I got really; I could've just downloaded, but I was stupid then.
-
I feel better now. Really old, but better.
-
I feel better now. Really old, but better.
I know how you feel Dawg, i'm just trying to keep up.
~Paul
-
YOU KIDS GET OFF MY LAWN!!!
-
Actually, that line that to which St. Zaxxon refers is a bit of clever wordplay - it has nothing to do with a band (these lyrics are from memory of four years ago when I had this album on constant repeat):
You were laid on your back with the boy:
with the arab strap
from the arab strap
The first instance suggests that she's "laid on her back" meaning she's on her back and the boy who owns an "arab strap" has had intercourse with her supine form.
The second suggests that it is the arab strap that is responsible for laying her on her back - like it knocked her right on her back.
Anyway, great song. I liked "If You're Feeling Sinister" better, and "Fold Your Hands Child" wasn't really all that good at all IMO.
But I really like the new one. I know what you mean by "I'm a Cuckoo" being a great song, but that very first track is just FOURTEEN KINDS OF AWESOME.
In fact, it will be on my 2nd disc of my mix disc set (which mails this week - PM me with your address if you want one and haven't already).
-
'Thought at Work' is a great song. I love that album. I thought about putting 'Water' on my mixdisc, but I have alzheimers and totally forgot about it when I was doing the compiling. Damn, I was grooving to that disc all last summer.
~Paul
-
The biography for the band Arab Strap (http://www.arabstrap.co.uk/content/biography/biogaphy.html) (no relation to B&S) indicates that it is some sort of S&M-ish schlong-holding harness.
So is Arab Strap the new Steely Dan?
~Paul
If I'm recalling correctly, "Steely Dan" was the pet name given to a dildo in Naked Lunch..
The one in the book was Steely Dan III, if I recall correctly. Led to some bewildersome ancestry questions for me.
Also, the Belle&Sebastian song/album are named after the band- apparently they were friends, or fans or something (both are veryveryscottish, anyways)
Actually, what I meant to imply is that Arab Strap (the band) is the new Steely Dan (the band) because they are both named after sex toys.
~Paul