The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: Bozack on January 27, 2004, 05:51:07 am

Title: Help my Tape
Post by: Bozack on January 27, 2004, 05:51:07 am
Okay, so, I used to work at a record store. And one of my (now, sadly) ex-coworkers is having her 22nd birthday. Needless to say, this girl has heard EVERY SONG EVER. But, since apparently mixtapes are the shiz here, I was hoping I could get some opinions. Here's what I got:

Last Minute-Dump
You's A Viper- Alex Chilton
It's All Over Now, Baby Blue- Van Morrison
El Clavo y La Cruz- Plugz
Up The Junction- Squeeze
Stay- Belly
Spinnin' On This Rock- Ramsay Midwood
Glad You're Here With Me- Papa M
A Minor Place- Bonnie "Prince" Billy
Osamu's Theme (Kyoko's House)- Philip Glass, as performed by Kronos Quartet
Mammoth Cave- Guided by Voices
Beauty Queen- Roxy Music
Sad Lover's Waltz- Camper Van Beethoven
Steak for Chicken- The Moldy Peaches
Stamping Ground- Moondog
Oh!- The Breeders
Blood Red River- Beth Orton
A Short Mile- Japancakes
Time Trap- Built to Spill
The Note- Hudson Wayne
Zorro is Back- Oliver Onions
Down the Road- Flatt and Scruggs

No order or anything. Any suggested additions? Deletions? Substitutions? And if you're on a broadband connection and want any of these, and can't find them on whatever, just PM me.
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: jough on January 27, 2004, 06:11:42 am
I don't  know why I'm saying this exactly, but that mix needs either some Elvis Costello or Joe Jackson.  STAT!

I'd recommend "Shipbuilding" by Elvis or the obvious "Stepping Out" by Joe Jackson.
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: Bozack on January 27, 2004, 06:21:55 am
what about "Wave a White Flag", the demo off of My Aim is True?
Also, have you ever seen "Straight to Hell", by Alex Cox?
The actors include:
JOE STRUMMER
Elvis Costello
THE POGUES, fer chrissakes
Courtney Love
Zander Schloss (bassist from the Circle Jerks)
Grace Jones
JIM MOTHERLOVING JARMUSCH.

P.S. Oh, and immediate disqualification for "Shipbuilding", for association with "High Fidelity." Great movie, it's just record store employees can't show that they saw or like it....that would be....unseemly.
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: jough on January 27, 2004, 06:23:52 am
Wow. I haven't seen it but I'm so there.

Have you ever seen Jarmusch's "Down By Law"?  Tom Waits can ACT mofugga.
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: Limmo on January 27, 2004, 06:36:21 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Also, have you ever seen "Straight to Hell", by Alex Cox?


Yeah, I have.  It is an absolutely unwatchable piece of shit.  

It was as if Alex Cox decided to throw a drunken bacchanal in the Spanish desert, film it and call it a movie.  Horrible.   And very unworthy of being mentioned in the same breath as Jim Jarmusch.

Welcome to the Achewood Forums!

P.S. "Osamu's Theme" is a beautiful piece of music, so definitely keep that.
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: jough on January 27, 2004, 06:38:35 am
Quote from: "Bozack"

P.S. Oh, and immediate disqualification for "Shipbuilding", for association with "High Fidelity." Great movie, it's just record store employees can't show that they saw or like it....that would be....unseemly.


Oh, right.  Of course.

How about "Oliver's Army" then?
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: Bozack on January 27, 2004, 06:39:07 am
It's not all that good, but still.....for the Strummer, man.
No, I haven't seen it; only seen ghost dog, lost highway and mystery train. Damn, what CAN'T Tom Waits do?

Quote from: "Limmo"

Yeah, I have.  It is an absolutely unwatchable piece of shit.  

Hahahah, yeah, i missed your post. I watched it last night with my brother, and every three minutes, one of us would just begin cursing, wondering what we were watching.
But, it was suggested by the same girl I'm making the CD for....
Is it obvious by now I have an insane crush on her?
Oh, and I'm downloading Oliver's Army as we speak.
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: jough on January 27, 2004, 07:06:55 am
By "downloading" you mean after having purchased it from iTunes or somesuch, right?

Because certainly we wouldn't want to promote illegal activity on these boards.

HEAVENS, NO
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: wombat on January 27, 2004, 11:16:22 am
Quote from: "Bozack"

P.S. Oh, and immediate disqualification for "Shipbuilding", for association with "High Fidelity." Great movie, it's just record store employees can't show that they saw or like it....that would be....unseemly.


That is very funny.

Could someone explain to me about the Pogues?  I just heard them for the first time (knowingly at least) and they just sound like, um, some Irish band.  What exactly is cool about them?
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: pmcd9 on January 27, 2004, 12:48:36 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Could someone explain to me about the Pogues?  I just heard them for the first time (knowingly at least) and they just sound like, um, some Irish band.  What exactly is cool about them?


It's their impeccable dental hygiene.

~Paul
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: side_show on January 27, 2004, 02:12:06 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "wombat"
Could someone explain to me about the Pogues?  I just heard them for the first time (knowingly at least) and they just sound like, um, some Irish band.  What exactly is cool about them?


It's their impeccable dental hygiene.

~Paul


Ha,ha!  Yeah apart from the fact they come off as a horrible stereotype of being Irish and there fore being drunk, I don't get it either.  There's some really honest sadness in the songs I've heard of theirs though.
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 27, 2004, 03:19:21 pm
Wombat, which album(s) have you heard?

Yeah, by and large they're just some Irish band, but as Irish bands go they're pretty freakin' good.  If you want mumbled songs about drinking and getting in fights, they're the band for you.  If I Should Fall From Grace With God is my favorite.
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: wombat on January 27, 2004, 04:15:45 pm
I don't know what it was - someone was playing it at work.  Someone with good and wide-ranging taste.  But I didn't get it.
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: Bozack on January 27, 2004, 04:50:53 pm
Hmm, Shane and the boys are a bit of an acquired taste. If I Should Fall... and Rum, Sodomy and the Lash are probably my favorites. And if you buy them, maybe Shane can afford dental care.
(http://www.alfharvey.com/Pics/Concerts/images/Pogues-4.jpg)
Look at him! He NEEDS it!
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 27, 2004, 06:54:46 pm
Shane's dentist don't work too hard, always at the pub
Shane says he ain't comin' back til they're down to a nub.
Shane's dentist don't work too hard, always at the pub
Shane says he ain't comin' back til they're down to a nub.

--Mojo Nixon
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: Bozack on January 27, 2004, 07:23:38 pm
(http://img17.photobucket.com/albums/v51/Bozack/rocky.jpg)
I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself. May God have mercy on my soul.
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: Limmo on January 27, 2004, 08:38:30 pm
I saw the Pogues at the Pier in NYC fifteen years ago, and I have never seen so goddamned many fistfights break out at a show ever.
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: andalucia on January 28, 2004, 01:24:32 am
The Pogues are for sure worth listening to... even their greatest-hits comp (it's orange, but I forget the name) is worth picking up if you're not that kind of élitist.
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: pmcd9 on January 28, 2004, 05:40:29 am
My sole exposure to the Pouges consist of seeing them perform on SNL appropriately enough on St. Patricks Day.

As for your tape, needs more cowbell.

~Paul
Title: Help my Tape
Post by: Bozack on January 28, 2004, 07:30:12 am
Quote from: "pmcd9"
As for your tape, needs more cowbell.

Yeah, I got a fever, and the only prescription is MORE COWBELL.
Once, while waiting in line for an airline ticket counter, I spied some haggard gentlemen standing off to the side, next to a bunch of instrument cases with "BOC" written on them in Magic Marker. I was mere feet from Blüe Oyster Cult. Only fear of being searched even more than I already was kept me from shouting, "I NEED MORE COWBELL!"