The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: pmcd9 on January 29, 2004, 12:48:04 pm

Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: pmcd9 on January 29, 2004, 12:48:04 pm
Why did we not see this coming?

~Paul
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: AugustWest on January 29, 2004, 02:12:59 pm
Well, I know who I'M voting for.

Lyle for Secretary of State!
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: Steve Hogan on January 29, 2004, 02:18:51 pm
I smell buttons.
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: CortJstr on January 29, 2004, 02:21:26 pm
Beef would totally rock as FCC chair. But I think it would take time to get used to VP Emeril.
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: pmcd9 on January 29, 2004, 02:37:06 pm
Actually, this sort of thing has been done to death.  Hey Phillipe, Marmaduke is on the phone, he wants to speak with you.

~Paul
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: revdj on January 29, 2004, 02:42:11 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Actually, this sort of thing has been done to death.


I don't care!  I'm voting for him!
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on January 29, 2004, 03:00:11 pm
You hafta be at least 35 to be preznit.
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: wombat on January 29, 2004, 03:29:09 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
You hafta be at least 35 to be preznit.


Human years or otter years?

Bumper stickers!  Bumper stickers!
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: JorgeFabregas on January 29, 2004, 03:31:13 pm
Quote from: "carlosdelvaca"
You hafta be at least 35 to be preznit.

Yeah, but they're no age restrictions on RUNNING for president.
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: CortJstr on January 29, 2004, 04:01:54 pm
"They point out that the U.S. Constitution specifically forbids those under the age of 35 from holding the Office of the President. To them I say this (http://www.brunching.com/lore2000.html): an unelectable candidate is an unimpeachable candidate."
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: jough on January 29, 2004, 04:35:52 pm
Up until the last batch of cheap crap I'm pretty sure Onstad didn't generate strips *just* to be commercials for new products.  And even the Philippe as a bee shirt could have seemed like a good idea *after* running the strip.

So if he *does* offer "Philippe For President" stuff, well, he'll lose a little artistic integrity.  Because it's so obvious.

Now, if he were to make millions selling his beads and trinkets, it'd be worth it - but to "sell out" for a few hundred bucks just seems so... soulless.

Anyway, time will tell.
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: AlohaDawg on January 29, 2004, 04:54:15 pm
Garry Trudeau got a hernia laughing this morning. At Onstad, not Achewood.

Damn politics seeps into everything good and taints it with a spot that won't come out.  There is a specific talent for good political humor and satire. I hope we see some of that. If it's strictly commercial I will be sad.
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: Bozack on January 29, 2004, 05:03:32 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
If it's strictly commercial I will be sad.

However, if it's "Strictly Commercial: The Best of Frank Zappa," I, for one, will be happy.
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: V-Adore on January 29, 2004, 06:32:13 pm
I'm just glad to see Mr. Bear again, personally. But am I the only one who found Philippe a little... well, off-model-looking?

Another point which occurs to me: why does Mr. Bear care about the human president? He's a stuffed bear. He's not even an American citizen! Will the Underground suffer if Bush gets reelected or something?

As for commercialism... if he puts out Philippe for President stuff, I'm not buying. This is all.
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: doomglobe on January 29, 2004, 07:25:47 pm
I am voting for the bob talbot for president, and so should all of you.
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: sensate on January 29, 2004, 07:49:41 pm
Onstead's got to have something up his sleeve on this one. A strip this straightforward, no punch line, no twists--it's gotta be a setup.
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: slink on January 29, 2004, 08:11:58 pm
Quote from: "sensate"
Onstead's got to have something up his sleeve on this one. A strip this straightforward, no punch line, no twists--it's gotta be a setup.


No pucnhline? But come on, Phillipe sat there is more than enough.
And Mr Bear saying there are good things about Republicans had me laughing way too hard!
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: CortJstr on January 29, 2004, 08:42:08 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Another point which occurs to me: why does Mr. Bear care about the human president? He's a stuffed bear. He's not even an American citizen! Will the Underground suffer if Bush gets reelected or something?


Hey, Mr. Bear could easily be blown up in a "tar-ist" attack.
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: pmcd9 on January 29, 2004, 08:54:47 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Another point which occurs to me: why does Mr. Bear care about the human president? He's a stuffed bear. He's not even an American citizen! Will the Underground suffer if Bush gets reelected or something?


Hey, Mr. Bear could easily be blown up in a "tar-ist" attack.


The president has made a lot of verbal fau-pauxs, but there's nothing wrong with having an accent.

~Paul<--Defending the accent, not the man.
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: starlight on January 30, 2004, 09:36:24 am
I thought it was pretty cute ...perhaps cause my mom saw it first and kept gushing all day about how cute things turned now that philippe appeared again (she wasn't very much liking the 'thing' sticking out of shorts strip and wasn't too keen on the titties and meth ones either, but to a smaller degree ..heh) ...she also kept shouting "new t-shirt design!  new t-shirt design!" (she wants her own successful t-shirt business, so I can see why she'd spot this stuff out right away and be for it).

I don't think I'd buy one if one was made, but eh...
right now I'm wearing my philippe as a bee shirt :D
Title: 1-29-04 Phillipe for President
Post by: Steve Hogan on January 30, 2004, 02:03:39 pm
Phillipe looked very cute going "Ahem" but I don't want a puppy named Mr Poopytime.  He loses my vote.