The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: arlucasinc on February 02, 2004, 01:09:49 pm

Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: arlucasinc on February 02, 2004, 01:09:49 pm
I think I see a new T-Shirt. But I've thought that I've seen new T-Shirts in the past and I've been wrong, so this could be another one of those cases.

If Philippe makes it onto the ballot, there's no way that Nader's gonna win this year.
Title: Re: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: slink on February 02, 2004, 01:44:48 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"

If Philippe makes it onto the ballot, there's no way that Nader's gonna win this year.


I thought Nader wasn't running, so as to not dilute the votes that could go to a decent(ish) Democrat nominee?
I may be wrong. Or he may be waiting to see if Kerry does become the nominee.
Anyway, I'd totally vote for Philippe. Although his stern little face is beginning to scare me ever so slightly.
And if Ray is the campaign manager...
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: Gimpson on February 02, 2004, 03:28:19 pm
Ever so slightly?  Phillipe is scaring the ever-living hell out of me right now.
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: jough on February 02, 2004, 03:35:44 pm
So Philippe is all pissed-off like Howard Dean, right?

I guess this one wasn't very funny, but okay.  We'll see where it goes.

And since his commercial was being run on the Underground Broadcasting Network, there's no telling that their constitution has anything about someone who's five becoming president.
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: CortJstr on February 02, 2004, 03:37:57 pm
They didn't even bother to come up with "The Committee to Elect Philippe" or anything. Just flat out Ray Smuckles. He should really check with Beef before he does things.
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: pmcd9 on February 02, 2004, 04:03:01 pm
I'm trying to see this as Onstad trying to turn the convention of having a cartoon character run for President on it's ear.  Like trying to transform the system from the inside or something.  Sure it's a tired cliche not worthy of Luann, but this is Onstad man, if anyone can make this stale bit fresh again it's him right.  Right?!?  I'm taking a wait and see approach.

~Paul
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: pmcd9 on February 02, 2004, 04:04:45 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Philippe for America...what a lovely font that is.


Yes that is a lovely font.

~Paul
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: Mantonio on February 02, 2004, 04:07:38 pm
Dammit Chris, stop the motorcycle now _before_ you get to the shark tank.  Please?
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: arlucasinc on February 02, 2004, 04:08:15 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I'm trying to see this as Onstad trying to turn the convention of having a cartoon character run for President on it's ear.

~Paul


I always used to like it when Bill and Opus would run for president. I especially liked the one Sunday strip where they had the different candidates interpretations of the lyrics to Louie Louie. That was GHWB, Dukakis, and Bill, if I recall correctly.

"If I lip curl, away afro bee..."
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: V-Adore on February 02, 2004, 06:27:11 pm
I still find something more than a little disturbing about the way Philippe's being drawn. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the fact that he's angry, but he fundamentally doesn't look right.

However, this entire plot arc is better if you assume Philippe is running for president of the Underground. Or something.
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: Bozack on February 02, 2004, 06:45:40 pm
Quote from: "Gimpson"
Ever so slightly?  Phillipe is scaring the ever-living hell out of me right now.

It's those eyebrows, man, and those tiny waving arms. The white-collared dark shirt is very presidential.
Who is more electable: Kerry, Edwards, Dean, Clark or Philippe?
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: andalucia on February 02, 2004, 08:36:00 pm
tiny waving arms. (http://www.cdaccess.com/gifs/shared/front/large/dott.gif)
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: ferocious j on February 02, 2004, 09:03:04 pm
Quote from: "arlucasinc"
I always used to like it when Bill and Opus would run for president.

Agreed; that was always hilarious.

I wonder what the rest of the infomercial was like?  It says "This half hour brought to you by Ray Smuckles."  Half an hour!
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: jough on February 02, 2004, 09:23:22 pm
It was probably 20 minutes of Philippe describing how Mr. Poopytime will end sadness.
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: Bozack on February 02, 2004, 09:54:56 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
tiny waving arms. (http://www.cdaccess.com/gifs/shared/front/large/dott.gif)

Wow, andalucia. Geek points awarded.
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: starlight on February 02, 2004, 11:24:07 pm
I was about to say the same thing about Philippe's stern face ..mayyn, and I thought most strips with Philippe in them (beyond the teenage version) turned cute ..this one is quite ..intense.

The slogan is pretty catchy though :D
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: slink on February 02, 2004, 11:49:36 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
tiny waving arms. (http://www.cdaccess.com/gifs/shared/front/large/dott.gif)


*sigh*
Stunning!
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: andalucia on February 03, 2004, 02:59:49 am
Well, come on, what else could "tiny waving arms" possibly conjure up but the shocking exploits of Purple Tentacle & co.?
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: Bozack on February 03, 2004, 06:12:14 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Well, come on, what else could "tiny waving arms" possibly conjure up but the shocking exploits of Purple Tentacle & co.?

According to Google image search, this:
(http://www.the-minimizer.com/swc7.jpg)
The proper response is, I believe, WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE.
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: V-Adore on February 03, 2004, 08:19:11 am
I prefer "WHAT IN THE LIVING SHIT IS THIS?!" but I imagine WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE will also serve.
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: andalucia on February 03, 2004, 12:43:05 pm
God bless the Internet... if it's not Roy Orbison in cling film, then it's Shrinking fanfics (http://www.the-minimizer.com/swc7.html).
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: slink on February 03, 2004, 12:48:58 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
God bless the Internet... if it's not Roy Orbison in cling film, then it's Shrinking fanfics (http://www.the-minimizer.com/swc7.html).


Hang on, can we go back to Orbision in cling film please... What the hell!?
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: V-Adore on February 03, 2004, 07:48:06 pm
The "Roy Orbison in cling film" thing was fairly obviously a joke on that sort of fetish site, sadly enough... however, the shrinking thing is taken seriously, almost morbidly so, by a great many people. I love and hate the Internet at the same time.

At one point I had a story inflicted upon me by a "friend" that fits this topic nicely, and now I feel obliged to pass it along. WARNING: Really odd gay smut about shrinking and the Brawny Paper Towel Man lies beyond this link. Follow with care. (http://nifty.org/nifty/gay/celebrity/burly-paper-towel-man)
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 03, 2004, 07:50:05 pm
Slink - Mere words can not explain (http://www.michaelkelly.fsnet.co.uk/karl.htm)
Title: 2004-02-02 - He Is Five
Post by: Bozack on February 03, 2004, 08:37:54 pm
Quote from: "Ulrich Haarbürste"
'Hello Roy,' I say. 'What are you doing in Dusseldorf?'

Dang, man, the number of times I've said that....