The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Arts & Entertainment => Topic started by: AugustWest on February 02, 2004, 02:34:18 pm

Title: "Anorak": A Query
Post by: AugustWest on February 02, 2004, 02:34:18 pm
Also, when did anorak become synonymous nerd/geekdom?  

I'm not saying it isn't an apt neologism, I'd just like to know the derivation.
Title: "Anorak": A Query
Post by: slink on February 02, 2004, 02:39:37 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"

I'm not saying it isn't an apt neologism, I'd just like to know the derivation.


I think probably from train spotters, who tend to be camped out on the platform with their packed lunch, thermos and pad & pen while wearing an anorak. Usually of the blue variety.
Also most of the other deeply sad, out door style, nerd driven hobbies, tend to involve anoraks.
Title: "Anorak": A Query
Post by: pmcd9 on February 02, 2004, 02:44:36 pm
Quote from: "slink"
I think probably from train spotters, who tend to be camped out on the platform with their packed lunch, thermos and pad & pen while wearing an anorak. Usually of the blue variety.


Ooo train spotters, I didn't realize they actually existed, but I saw a pair sat on the bench next to me at the station in Cardiff.  Yep, they were both wearing blue jackets.

~Paul
Title: "Anorak": A Query
Post by: wombat on February 02, 2004, 05:25:24 pm
Quote from: "slink"


Also most of the other deeply sad, out door style, nerd driven hobbies, tend to involve anoraks.


I don't think of nerds as outdoorsy, what other hobbies?  Waiting in line overnight for the opening of movies?
Title: "Anorak": A Query
Post by: slink on February 02, 2004, 06:00:20 pm
Quote from: "wombat"

I don't think of nerds as outdoorsy, what other hobbies?  Waiting in line overnight for the opening of movies?


That's only nerdy if it's a really bad movie. And it's less of a hobby. I'd hope.
I was thinking more of rambling (hillwalking that kinda thing) and bird watching.
Title: "Anorak": A Query
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 02, 2004, 06:45:02 pm
What's an Anorak? Is it like a sweatshirt jacket with a hood? I picture eskimos and furry hoods with this term, which are geeky but don't fit this discussion well. Also, the 'American Movie' guy seems typically to wear that hoodie sort of thing also.
Title: "Anorak": A Query
Post by: V-Adore on February 02, 2004, 06:46:51 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
What's an Anorak? Is it like a sweatshirt jacket with a hood? I picture eskimos and furry hoods with this term, which are geeky but don't fit this discussion well. Also, the 'American Movie' guy seems typically to wear that hoodie sort of thing also.

It's a very British/Canadian term for a heavy parka-ish sort of thing. As mentioned, very popular among trainspotters and other individuals who are the British equivalent of the Comic Book Guy, hence the slang connotations.

(I've been using "anorakish" a lot lately, so I've had to explain it a few times. Although I should really just let our esteemed British contingent take care of it...)
Title: "Anorak": A Query
Post by: andalucia on February 02, 2004, 08:38:30 pm
anorak (http://www.geocities.com/athens/parthenon/6197/anorak.htm).

Apparently I'm all about the terse link-posts today.  Sleep deficit and coffee surplus.