The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: AlohaDawg on February 02, 2004, 06:38:03 pm

Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 02, 2004, 06:38:03 pm
Does anyone know what the Groundhog saw this morning?
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: jough on February 02, 2004, 08:33:46 pm
For the record, I live nowhere near Punxsutawney, and we in eastern PA think those in the west are a little screwy.

For insance, in Philly to ask either an individual or a group of people of their current condition, we would ask "How youse doin'?" (figureing that 'youse' is plural for 'you' - just add an s).

Down south they may ask "How y'all doin'?" or in Texas, "How y'all are?"  But 'y'all' is a contraction for 'you all' and makes linguistic sense.

In Pittsburgh they ask "How yuntz?"

Huh?
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 02, 2004, 09:01:50 pm
Out here in Pidgin Land the greeting has been reduced to

Howzit, Brah?

Or Howzit Cuz? You go store, Yah?

Run, Run Run, fas' as I can - you no catch me, I one Musubi man!
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: CortJstr on February 02, 2004, 09:34:13 pm
Eastern PA people just don't appreciate the complexity of meteorology via marmot. You guys's schools must be terrible.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to get some pop from the fridge then run the sweeper before I red the table. And pierogies for dinner! Whoo!
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: wombat on February 03, 2004, 02:04:33 am
Quote from: "Asherdan"
More snow for those poor bastards that live in those ungodly places that actually have weather.



I am the last person who would want a largish rodent to be embarassed in public.  BUT PLEASE GOD LET HIM BE WRONG I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: andalucia on February 03, 2004, 03:01:07 am
Actually, where I am, it's getting all great and sunny for the beginning of our new semester.  It makes me drive fast and smile a lot, and I don't even like the sun.  I feel quite manipulated.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: pmcd9 on February 03, 2004, 03:48:12 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
I don't even like the sun.


Who loves the sun?  Me, I do.

~Paul
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: andalucia on February 03, 2004, 04:14:22 am
Quote from: "Lou Reed"
Who cares that it makes plants grow?
Who cares what it does since you BROKE MY HEART...
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: jay-ell on February 03, 2004, 04:45:52 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Eastern PA people just don't appreciate the complexity of meteorology via marmot. You guys's schools must be terrible.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to get some pop from the fridge then run the sweeper before I red the table. And pierogies for dinner! Whoo!


IT'S OK, Y'ALL!  I SPEAK YANKEE!  

What he said was:

Pardon me, I'ma get some soda from the icebox, then vacuum before I set the dishes.  And collards for supper!  Yee-haw!
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: Limmo on February 03, 2004, 05:39:39 am
Pierogies are ravioli-like potato dumplings filled with meat or other things that Polish people like to eat.  Not collards.  Someone needs to brush up on their Yankee.

Not that there's anything wrong with collards, especially if you cook them with enough ham, bacon or other salty pork product.  However, no okra please.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: Bozack on February 03, 2004, 06:23:17 am
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Lou Reed"
Who cares that it makes plants grow?
Who cares what it does since you BROKE MY HEART...

Ba ba ba ba, not everyone.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: wombat on February 03, 2004, 11:48:37 am
Hey, apparently that groundhog is only right 44% of the time.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: pmcd9 on February 03, 2004, 03:09:00 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Quote from: "Lou Reed"
Who cares that it makes plants grow?
Who cares what it does since you BROKE MY HEART...


Severe depression makes for a great song, but's not a good way to go through life.

I don't know if you're depressed Andalucia, but obviously the protaganist of the above quoted song is.

~Paul

I need to laugh and when the sun is out
I've got something I can laugh about
I feel good in a special way
I'm in love and it's a sunny day

Good Day Sunshine
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: pmcd9 on February 03, 2004, 03:14:01 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
Pierogies are ravioli-like potato dumplings filled with meat or other things that Polish people like to eat.  Not collards.  Someone needs to brush up on their Yankee.

Not that there's anything wrong with collards, especially if you cook them with enough ham, bacon or other salty pork product.  However, no okra please.


I think JL was simply inserting a regional southern dish in place of a regional northern dish.

~Paul
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: jay-ell on February 03, 2004, 03:41:07 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "Limmo"
Pierogies are ravioli-like potato dumplings filled with meat or other things that Polish people like to eat.  Not collards.  Someone needs to brush up on their Yankee.

Not that there's anything wrong with collards, especially if you cook them with enough ham, bacon or other salty pork product.  However, no okra please.


I think JL was simply inserting a regional southern dish in place of a regional northern dish.

~Paul


Exactly.  

As if I wouldn't know what Pierogies are.  My maiden name had three "K"s and ended in "ski," and we ordered 100 lbs of kielbasa for my wedding.  

Piff.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: Bozack on February 03, 2004, 04:01:21 pm
Oh my god, man. I miss collard greens so much.
Oh, South! I will return to you SO SOON!
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: jough on February 03, 2004, 04:09:42 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Severe depression makes for a great song, but's not a good way to go through life.

I don't know if you're depressed Andalucia, but obviously the protaganist of the above quoted song is.


Paul, you said "Who loves the sun?" which is the title of a Velvet Underground song.  Those lyrics above are from that song.

And it's really a catchy upbeat number.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: AugustWest on February 03, 2004, 04:13:00 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Oh my god, man. I miss collard greens so much.
Oh, South! I will return to you SO SOON!


Personally, I'm far more partial to turnip greens.  Few more weeks and I can be planting some.  And some lettuce, too.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: pmcd9 on February 03, 2004, 04:18:00 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Severe depression makes for a great song, but's not a good way to go through life.

I don't know if you're depressed Andalucia, but obviously the protaganist of the above quoted song is.


Paul, you said "Who loves the sun?" which is the title of a Velvet Underground song.  Those lyrics above are from that song.

And it's really a catchy upbeat number.


I think it's ironic.  The tune is upbeat, very Beach Boysesque, but the lyrics are anything but.

~Paul
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: CortJstr on February 03, 2004, 04:24:48 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Eastern PA people just don't appreciate the complexity of meteorology via marmot. You guys's schools must be terrible.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to get some pop from the fridge then run the sweeper before I red the table. And pierogies for dinner! Whoo!


IT'S OK, Y'ALL!  I SPEAK YANKEE!  

What he said was:

Pardon me, I'ma get some soda from the icebox, then vacuum before I set the dishes.  And collards for supper!  Yee-haw!


Close. "Red" means clear off/out. So you could also say, "Billy, red off your dresser! You can't see the top" or "red out the car so I can vacuum it out."
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: pmcd9 on February 03, 2004, 04:27:36 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
I think it's ironic.  The tune is upbeat, very Beach Boysesque, but the lyrics are anything but.


This is a song on the High Fidelity soundtrack.  The great thing about that soundtrack is half the songs are from bands doing their best VU impersonation and then we get the real deal doing the most un VU like track (except for the ironic lyrics) they ever recorded.

~Paul
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: jay-ell on February 03, 2004, 04:28:07 pm
Ah.  So I should have said, "Afore I carry away the dishes."  

I must admit, that one I've not heard.  But then again, folks around these parts don't have a photo taken, they have a picture made.  

Make sure you cut out the lights before you leave.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: pmcd9 on February 03, 2004, 04:38:06 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Close. "Red" means clear off/out. So you could also say, "Billy, red off your dresser! You can't see the top" or "red out the car so I can vacuum it out."


Ah, I get it, Red is Rid, as in rid the table of junk so I can set the dishes.

~Paul
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: Limmo on February 03, 2004, 05:06:04 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
As if I wouldn't know what Pierogies are.  My maiden name had three "K"s and ended in "ski," and we ordered 100 lbs of kielbasa for my wedding.  

Piff.


Oof.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: Limmo on February 03, 2004, 05:07:26 pm
100 pounds of kielbasa?  I want to party with you!
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: CortJstr on February 03, 2004, 05:16:29 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
As if I wouldn't know what Pierogies are.  My maiden name had three "K"s and ended in "ski," and we ordered 100 lbs of kielbasa for my wedding.  

Piff.


Were you in one of Ray's movies (http://www.achewood.com/index.php?date=02032004)?
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: jay-ell on February 03, 2004, 05:57:04 pm
Well, it was a wedding.  There were in excess of 350 people there.  

We Pollacks have big weddings.  Mostly because we have big families.  In every sense of the word.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: Limmo on February 03, 2004, 06:53:57 pm
350 people?!?  Zounds.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: V-Adore on February 03, 2004, 07:57:50 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
As if I wouldn't know what Pierogies are.  My maiden name had three "K"s and ended in "ski," and we ordered 100 lbs of kielbasa for my wedding.  

Piff.

There is something about this that brings tears to my eyes with its cosmic rightness. I think I've officially been assimilated into the Midwest.

(Or maybe I'm just reminded of the reception after my grandfather's funeral, which involved massive quantities of Amorphous Beef in Sauce and similarly-prepared potatoes. The leftovers, of course, were packed up for Grandma so she'd have something to feed the relatives trickling in for the next few weeks.)
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: CortJstr on February 03, 2004, 09:54:06 pm
Did you have the thing where you have to put some money in donation box and do a shot to dance with the bride? In the highly german/polish area I'm from this, along with open bar, defines the term "wedding reception"
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 03, 2004, 09:57:55 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
As if I wouldn't know what Pierogies are.  My maiden name had three "K"s and ended in "ski," and we ordered 100 lbs of kielbasa for my wedding.  


Krakowski?
Kazakowki?
Kazenzakiski?
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: jay-ell on February 03, 2004, 10:19:04 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Did you have the thing where you have to put some money in donation box and do a shot to dance with the bride? In the highly german/polish area I'm from this, along with open bar, defines the term "wedding reception"


If you mean the Dollar Dance, yes, we did.  I think we made a couple hundred bucks, but it's all kind of fuzzy.  

Quote from: "AlohaDawg"

Krakowski?
Kazakowki?
Kazenzakiski?


Try again.  It's a highly uncommon name.  Everybody in the world with my maiden name is directly related to me as a fourth cousin or closer.  

I don't know how you'd find it, but I'll give a special prize to anyone who does.  

And no fair asking Pedro.  You'll have to use your l33t web 5ki114z to qualify for the prize.  There is exactly one instance of my maiden name still available on Google, so it won't be easy.  I'll give you one hint:

The launch code is MOTEKIM.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: CortJstr on February 03, 2004, 11:33:04 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Did you have the thing where you have to put some money in donation box and do a shot to dance with the bride? In the highly german/polish area I'm from this, along with open bar, defines the term "wedding reception"


If you mean the Dollar Dance, yes, we did.  I think we made a couple hundred bucks, but it's all kind of fuzzy.


Dollar Dance? I guess some people only put in a dollar but 20's were more common, 50's occasional, 100's spotty, and everybody got at least one check for more.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 03, 2004, 11:49:27 pm
K******i. What do I win?
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: jay-ell on February 04, 2004, 01:43:32 am
Damn.  Y'all are fast.  

The prize goes to...AlohaDawg and St. Zartan (both of whom IM'd me within minutes of each other).  

I'll come up with something appropriate.  Meanwhile, PM me your postal addresses.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: wombat on February 04, 2004, 02:02:53 am
Wait, the rest of us don't get to know the answer?
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: andalucia on February 04, 2004, 02:26:01 am
Yeah, I was kinda intruiged.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: jay-ell on February 04, 2004, 03:42:08 am
It's up to the winners if they're going to make you work it out on your own or not.  

Aloha, Zartan, who wants to do the honors?
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: St_Zartan on February 04, 2004, 03:49:37 am
Folks, it's really easy if you don't outsmart yourself.

If you choose your search terms correctly - and all of you have the information to do exactly that - you could hit "I'm Feeling Lucky" and find the answer. The trick is in knowing when you've found the right thing.

And it feels much more sub rosa and delicious to find it out indirectly. DAMN IT FEELS GOOD TO BE A WANKSTA
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 04, 2004, 04:54:59 am
Indeed; recognition of the clue will lead you straight to the answer. I typed a term in google and the FIRST page I went to held the information, near the bottom.

I actually POSTED the surname and then thought better of Ms Dunston's Bank Accounts, so I blipped it out about a minute later. But best of luck to you all.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: wombat on February 04, 2004, 12:55:20 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
Folks, it's really easy if you don't outsmart yourself.



OK, you were right.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: jay-ell on February 06, 2004, 05:52:33 am
Prizes have been ordered and should arrive in 3 - 4 business days.  I have specially ordered authentic Polish sweets and treats -- one box of candies and and box of cookies apiece.  I hope you enjoy them thoroughly.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 06, 2004, 06:52:31 am
Polish soul food? It MUST involve apricot jelly, whatcha call 'em, kalachkies?

I hope you didn't send too much cabbage. Mrs Dawg finds it most offensive.
Title: Feb 2: Day of the Large Rodent
Post by: jay-ell on February 06, 2004, 04:30:55 pm
No cabbage, just cookies and candy.  Mmmm...cookies and candy.  

That's all I'm saying.  The rest is a suprise.