The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: jay-ell on February 04, 2004, 06:13:13 pm

Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 04, 2004, 06:13:13 pm
Last night I dreamed that I had sex with Steve Martin.  

Later, I dreamed that I was a teenager in Salem about ten years after the witch trials, and my mother -- a prostitute -- had been hanged and then burned when I was a small child.  I carried her cremains with me in an envelope.  I had become pregnant by a black man in a neighboring town, and when the child was born and the doctor saw that she was black, he declared her stillborn and killed her.  Before long, I had another envelope of ashes to carry with me.  This part was extremely dark and disturbing, but then Pedro showed up and I told him all about it and he comforted me.  

After that, just before I woke up, I dreamed that I was a spy on a mission to infiltrate a KGB base, and just as I was about to execute the complex series of acrobatic feats required to gain entry, my point of view switched to third person.  

----------------------------------------------

According to Dreammoods.com, the first part of the dream signifies that I need to incorporate some aspects of my dream sex partner into my own character.  The fact that I dreamed of having sex with an actor indicates that I am on a quest for pleasure, and may suggest that I desire to incorporate some of his personality traits.  Probably, I'm not funny enough.  

The second part is far more complex.  While a newborn infant often indicates pleasant surprises, the immediate and violent death of that infant at the hands of a doctor would seem to indicate that illness and strife will abort such pleasantness and signifies my need for spiritual healing.  Furthermore, while giving birth symbolizes taking on a new project, a stillborn child indicates the fear that the project will fall apart before it can be completed.  The loss of my dream-mother (who was not, in fact, my real-life mother) indicates an absence of shelter, comfort, and guidance in my life; the fact that she was a witch either strengthens this point by representing goodness, power, and enchantment or counteracts it by representing dangerous and destructive feminine forces.  Since my dream-mother was also a prostitute, the latter seems more likely.  Witnessing the murder of my infant indicates a deep-seated anger towards somebody for causing the destruction of my creative energies. Furthermore, since a physician comitted the murder, it seems likely that I blame discouraging illness and familial strife for that destruction.  

The last part, I chalk up to too much Freedom Force.  

----------------------------------------------

I pretty much think all this dream interpretation stuff is hooey.  That said, though, I find it interesting to poke around when I have particularly vivid and unusal dreams to see what it all "means."  My dreams tend to be highly complex and involve dream-memories that fall outside the borders of the dreams themselves (for instance, I didn't dream that my mother was being hanged, but the memory of her death was intact at the start of the dream.)  I've also had disturbing dreams and nightmares from the time I was a small child, which I just assume is part of being the kind of person Pedro tactfully describes as "wound rather tightly."  Most of my nightmares are recurrent dreams, so when I come across a new one (like the above) it's interesting to me.  

Pedro, on the other hand, rarely remembers his dreams, and when he does, they're relatively common and mundane.  I've found this to be the case with most people I've talked to.  My mom has wild and bizzare dreams like mine, but very few nightmares.  I understand that there's nothing more boring than someone trying to explain what s/he dreamed last night, but I thought that no message board is really complete without some kind of dream thread.  So, here it is.  Feel free to comment on my dream and proposed interpretation, or share your own dream and let us pick it apar...I mean, tactfully and kindly offer our well-informed opinions.  

Have at it, kids.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: slink on February 04, 2004, 06:30:00 pm
I am always actually quite interested in people's dreams. I guess maybe it stems from trying to see how fucked up other people's psyches are and thus to feel better about my own.
It's certainly quite a disturbing dream that. And I'm guessing you'd class it as a nightmare but you weren't scared by it? That is what I have as nightmares now. I remember vividly a few from my childhood, ones where I woke up sharply with pain that mirrored that of the dream, but ever since I just fail to get scared by dreams.
I tend to be left depressed by dreams more than anything.

Anyway, I'd write more but I have to run and eat!
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 04, 2004, 06:41:19 pm
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 04, 2004, 06:46:46 pm
I was definitely terrified and distraught in the middle part of the dream.  I spent a good portion of it crying, and (I forgot to mention) I feared for my life -- I thought the townspeople might stone me for having conceived a child out of wedlock.  I couldn't seem to wake up, though, and by the time I did, I had moved on to the action-movie part of my dream and the nightmare seemed more...distant.  

The sex with Steve Martin is really the bizzare part, to me.  Part of it involved a nineteen year old stripper with fake boobs -- Steve's girlfriend -- and Pedro, but getting rutty with a comedian who's old enough to be my father was distracting enough that I don't remember much about simultaneously seeing my husband make out with a topless strumpet.  I think the strangest thing was, Steve was cracking jokes through the whole thing, which I found attractive and not at all psychotic.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 04, 2004, 06:47:13 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.


True that.  But sometimes it's more fun when it's not... :wink:
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: V-Adore on February 04, 2004, 08:56:44 pm
I haven't had any particularly spastic dreams lately, although I had some really notably bizarre ones throughout middle school which I might throw out if the thread gets boring.

I can't remember most of my dream last night, except that at one point the people I was with and I were attempting to order fast-food tacos and I spazzed for most of the order. The problem was, as I recall, that I knew precisely what I wanted, but it was from an entirely different fast-food taco place and I couldn't find a good equivalent. As I recall, the place we were ordering from was fake, but the taco I pictured myself wanting (and its establishment of origin) were entirely real.

So! Frustrated and unfulfilled desires on a cosmic scale, or just "V wants a taco and can't get it?"
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 04, 2004, 09:02:21 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
So! Frustrated and unfulfilled desires on a cosmic scale, or just "V wants a taco and can't get it?"


Hmmm.  That's a tough one.  Maybe the message is that you need to be more flexible in your taco-eating goals.  

I couldn't find the significance of tacos in the dream database, unfortunately.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 04, 2004, 09:11:46 pm
For about the past 10 years, I have been fully conscious of the fact that I was dreaming during the dreams that I remember. Therefore, I can not be filled with dread or fear or sadness because I either remember that I am dreaming or I just say "wake up" and I do.

It sounds weird written down.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: wombat on February 04, 2004, 09:33:13 pm
I used to have a recurring type of dream that I was at a bakery with a huge array of wonderful things and it was really hard to choose.  I always woke up before I got to eat anything.  I don't know why I don't have it anymore.  Perhaps I no longer think life is full of possibilities?  Or maybe I just used to go to bed hungry too often?

My recurring type of anxiety dream is that I'm trying to get ready for work in the morning in a strange bathroom that makes it really hard to take a shower - like, the shower head points right at the bed, say.  

My recurring type of fear dream is about scary bizarre large strange almost alien aircraft flying overhead, often doing strange maneuvers like loops that they are clearly too big for.  This may not seem terribly imaginative since I've always been afraid of aircraft when awake, but they are usually very imaginative aircraft.

I do occassionally have dreams like JL's where there's clearly all this elaborate history to whatever is going on at the moment, and you have memories inside the dream of the background to it.  They're exhausting, and they seem like a waste of brainpower that could be used for, like, writing novels or something, because they are that complicated.  I'm also a rather tightly wound person, but we'd need a lot more data to decide whether this was relevant.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 04, 2004, 09:54:42 pm
I have the problem where I try to read something (usually a caller ID entry or such) and can't make it out. Then I realize I'm dreaming. And rather than continue with a nice lucid dream like any self respecting straight man would I pop myself awake. Then curse myself for several minutes for ruining it before going back to sleep.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 04, 2004, 09:59:03 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I do occassionally have dreams like JL's where there's clearly all this elaborate history to whatever is going on at the moment, and you have memories inside the dream of the background to it.  They're exhausting, and they seem like a waste of brainpower that could be used for, like, writing novels or something, because they are that complicated.  I'm also a rather tightly wound person, but we'd need a lot more data to decide whether this was relevant.


I've actually started a screenplay based on one of my more coherent dreams, and it's not half bad.  I think my plausibility-meter keeps most of my good creative ideas out of my consciousness during the day, so I've got to grab them at night.  

My classic anxiety dream -- which has been shared by several other "theatre people" in my aquaintence -- is that I show up for what I think is the first day of rehersal, and it's actually opening night of a performance.  A friend of mine has the variation where he's rehearsed one play and on opening night he discovers that they're performing something completely different.  And since I've re-entered Academia, I have dreamed that I show up for the first day of class, and then find out I'm supposed to be teaching it.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on February 04, 2004, 10:02:41 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
So! Frustrated and unfulfilled desires on a cosmic scale, or just "V wants a taco and can't get it?"


I know there are times when i've wanted a taco and couldn't get it.

~Paul
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 04, 2004, 10:03:55 pm
Dammit, now I want a taco. You bastards!
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 04, 2004, 10:09:19 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
So! Frustrated and unfulfilled desires on a cosmic scale, or just "V wants a taco and can't get it?"


I know there are times when i've wanted a taco and couldn't get it.

~Paul
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Dammit, now I want a taco. You bastards!


Are we talking literal tacos, here?  Or is this some kind of slang I haven't heard about yet?
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 04, 2004, 10:53:35 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "pmcd9"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
So! Frustrated and unfulfilled desires on a cosmic scale, or just "V wants a taco and can't get it?"


I know there are times when i've wanted a taco and couldn't get it.

~Paul
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Dammit, now I want a taco. You bastards!


Are we talking literal tacos, here?  Or is this some kind of slang I haven't heard about yet?


I was talking about literal tacos because it's dinner time. But there's some not uncommon slang with tacos and the ladies.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 04, 2004, 10:54:40 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"

Oh yeah, and all five of the prime players died together on a car trip to go skiing.


Man, that little tidbit as a footnote? I'd say this event left a decent mark on your psyche...as it should. That's devastating to hear even as a historical reference. Sorry, man...Sorry.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Choop on February 04, 2004, 11:42:23 pm
I used to have flying dreams, all the time. As in every few nights. They were the best, man, the best. They actually started out as "leaping" dreams - have you seen that "Island Hopping" commercial, where the guy's just jumping from one island to the next? Sort of like that, except never amongst islands. I would just discover that whenever I want to, I have that power in my dreams. Then, instead of allowing myself to fall during one leap, I just decided to kind of swim through the air -- it worked, by jove!

Then I met my wife and got married, and I've been so happy while awake I haven't had to resort to dream-world happiness any more.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: wombat on February 05, 2004, 12:25:28 am
CortJstr's post reminds me of another type of anxiety dream I have that involves technology -  I'm trying to dial a phone number and I try again and again and can't do it correctly.  And when I was younger I used to have dreams where something like the TV wouldn't turn off no matter how hard I tried, and this was always very frightening in a Twilight Zone kind of way.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 05, 2004, 12:31:34 am
Quote from: "wombat"
CortJstr's post reminds me of another type of anxiety dream I have that involves technology -  I'm trying to dial a phone number and I try again and again and can't do it correctly.  And when I was younger I used to have dreams where something like the TV wouldn't turn off no matter how hard I tried, and this was always very frightening in a Twilight Zone kind of way.


That's exactly what mine are like. Except I can't remember phone numbers ever so I try to look them up in the caller ID archive or in my cell phone. Except since you supposedly can't read in dreams there's always somebody's ear grease on the screen. After several minutes of frustration and mis-dials is when the unable to read thing dawns on me.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 05, 2004, 01:10:36 am
You can't read in dreams? I actually was gunned down and died in a dream once.

OK, I have two current recurring dreams, neither of which I have seen in awhile. When I am up against any kind of deadline, I get the classic school dream: I have to go back to High School and take a calculus test. Except it's been almost 20 years now, so it's a struggle.

The other happens every know and then (and I've heard that OTHER people have this dream, which is weird): I take out my contact lens and I squirt it with the cleaning stuff, but as I rub it it gets bigger. And bigger. Eventually I am holding it like a pizza dough and I put it over my bent knee, and I'm squiting it and scrubbing it like a madman.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: wombat on February 05, 2004, 01:17:33 am
OMG I don't have quite that dream exactly, but I do have dreams where my contact lens is really huge and I can't get it in my eye.  Often part of that same dream where I'm trying to get ready for work in a strange bathroom.

Is it true that most people can't read in dreams?  I'm sure I can read the numbers on the phone buttons in those phone dreams.  And I am pretty sure i have had reading-the-messageboard dreams.  I'll have to pay more attention.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 05, 2004, 01:45:13 am
I heard someplace you can't read in dreams because dreaming isn't really a left-brain type of thing. Of course I think I may have "learned" this factoid from Batman: TAS.

I know I frequently can't read important notes or numbers. Using the phone in a dream is more likey typing since I just know where the numbers are. I'm pretty sure the keys are actually blank in my dream.

Although I also frequently dream my vision is really blurry because my glasses are missing or covered in film or something. So it's not just you contacts people.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 05, 2004, 01:50:05 am
WEIRD! Anyone else have experience with dreams about vision correction?


Fantasies about mounting Velma while she's on her hands and knees looking for her glasses (it's the skirt) don't count.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jough on February 05, 2004, 01:52:41 am
I have sex dreams just about every night.  Sometimes I'll dream about women I've actually had sex with, sometimes about women I just want to have sex with, and sometimes I wake up and go "Ewww..."

My other recurring dream is more involved and too disturbing to publish on the internet.

But it's fun to hear people's interpretations of what sex dreams mean.  I've heard completely conflicting interpretations, thus contributing to my belief that generic dream interpretation is bogus in the extreme.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: slink on February 05, 2004, 02:19:52 am
Hmm, things brought up by all the recent posts:

Firstly, I find it interesting that my dreams never seem to catch up with my real life. I will dream about recent things, say when I was playing a WWII flight sim, I had a dream about being at school but at war, with all these enemies dropping down on parachutes and having to fight, though my gun jammed and I had to hide behind the neighbours greenhouse. But, this all took place at the school that I was at eleven+ years ago. Even if I dream about people I know now, they will tend to be put into a place I haven't been in a long time.

As far as the vision stuff goes, it's kind of hard to tell with me, since I have had many sleep related problems. I used to sleep walk terribly. My brother's favourite story of me as a very young child, was when I walked through the living room one night, completely oblivious to any reaction from my family, continues to the kitchen, opened the drinks cupboard and peed in it. All completely unconscious. I spent many years sleepwalking a lot, but then also had problems like sleep paralysis, where you wake up and can't move or speak. This was probably the most terrifying thing for me.
I also went through a period of sleeping with my eyes open, which tended to cause people to assume I had just died, and consequently woke me up freaking out. Which was a good thing cos my eyeballs got kinda dry.
I still have very odd dreams, most of which never make much sense, and will blend many different places and people together, often including things like hedgehogs walking through little cat flaps in queues.
Also though, as I say, it tends to be about women, and I always wake up somewhat depressed by them. Damn my pysche.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 05, 2004, 02:34:16 am
I used to also have sleep paralysis. That's a bitch and a half. I think everyone has had this, it's also called night terrors and some southern friends used to refer to it as "the witch riding you" which was eerie also.

For those confused by this: your brain secretes a chemical that basically paralyzes when you are in deep sleep. This keeps you from acting out your dreams, which apparently our friend Slink had problems with as a young'un. Occasionally you reach consciousness but continue secreting. Or you secrete before you are completely unconscius. This means you are somewhat awake but you can't speak, move, etc. The victim will usually struggle, make some guttural sounds, eventually being able to move but usually thrashes and might scream for a moment. Even if it happens 3 times a week, it's terrifying because for the first bit of it, you are only semi-conscious. It took me a long time to get to where I could react to it, relax and focus on gaining consciousness. It really is very scary.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 05, 2004, 03:26:42 am
Vaguely OT but I was just thinking about this yesterday:

Has anybody else had the thing where you're just falling asleep then you suddenly snap fully awake and it feels like your 6 inches in the air and suddenly fall back onto the bed?

Or am I even crazier than I thought?
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: andalucia on February 05, 2004, 04:15:57 am
Yep... I think it's called a myclonic jerk or something similar.  My stepsister had a variant on that wherein she would see recycling boxes tumbling down around her.  Strange girl.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 05, 2004, 04:16:14 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I used to also have sleep paralysis. That's a bitch and a half. I think everyone has had this, it's also called night terrors and some southern friends used to refer to it as "the witch riding you" which was eerie also.


AFAIK, that's not exactly night terrors...many people with sleep paralysis also have night terrors, but they are distinct parasomnias.  (Ref. 1 (http://www.nightterrors.org/))  

I've researched this thoroughly because Pedro has what can best be termed confusional arousals (Ref. 2 (http://www.nightterrors.org/parasomnia.html)).  I sincerely hope he doesn't mind my sharing this.  It's quite frightening to have a bed partner who occasionally leaps from the bed screaming and tearing the sheets off the mattress, particularly when that bed partner is considerably stronger.  But he and I have adapted rather well, and mercifully he usually doesn't remember his terrors the following morning.  I've become so sensitive to the warning signs -- episodes usually begin with a sharp intake of breath about thirty seconds before the screaming starts -- that I've awoken from a dead sleep and reflexively prepared to comfort him only to be greeted by a hearty sneeze!  

Fortunately, his episodes have decreased steadily over the last few months.  I doubt they'll ever disappear completely, but we're dealing with them slightly better each time.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 05, 2004, 04:17:50 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Vaguely OT but I was just thinking about this yesterday:

Has anybody else had the thing where you're just falling asleep then you suddenly snap fully awake and it feels like your 6 inches in the air and suddenly fall back onto the bed?

Or am I even crazier than I thought?


I almost always have this while dreaming that I'm falling off a ladder.  It's always within the first five minutes of sleeping, and it's always a ladder.  

You think my dream-self would learn not to climb ladders, but no.  Instead I end up jerking like a jerk and kicking poor Pedro in the calves.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on February 05, 2004, 04:28:14 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Vaguely OT but I was just thinking about this yesterday:

Has anybody else had the thing where you're just falling asleep then you suddenly snap fully awake and it feels like your 6 inches in the air and suddenly fall back onto the bed?


I've had the first part of that happen, but I wasn't levitating when I came to.  It often happens when something important has slipped my mind.  As soon as my mind is relaxed it'll remember it and wake me up to remind me.

I've had that night terrors thing on a couple of rare occasions, but I didn't know that's what it was.  A very mild case I guess, maybe 10 seconds or so before coming out of it.  It seems like that is most likely to occur to me when I am napping during the day.  It's never frightened me, but I can see how it might if it had gone on longer.

I don't have any regularly recurring dreams, but I have had a few recurring themes in my dreams.  I can't recall the details of most of them, but a common theme is I'll find myself in some kind of grave danger and i'll attempt to flee from it, but ultimately I'll get cornered and must face the situation.  It's at that moment that I realize I have super human abilities, like being strong or really fast and I am able to prevail over whatever is threatening me.  I've never died in a dream because I always wake up right at the moment of certain death.  Once I dreamed I drove straight into a brick wall at very high speed.  That made me sit bolt upright in the bed.  I've dreamed I was in hell on a couple of occasions and I've dreamed I witnessed a nuclear blast from close proximity, like seeing Houston getting nuked from my vantage point 30 miles in the suburbs.  I wonder if i'll ever have another of those dreams now that I live right near the center of town?  I've had lots of great dreams too, but the details always fade.  All in all i've had many more pleasant dreams than terrible ones.

~Paul


~Paul
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 05, 2004, 04:32:03 am
Quote from: "wombat"
OMG I don't have quite that dream exactly, but I do have dreams where my contact lens is really huge and I can't get it in my eye.  Often part of that same dream where I'm trying to get ready for work in a strange bathroom.


I have this dream all the time.  I've never met another person who has had this, but then again I don't know that many people who wear contacts who I've also discussed dreams with.  Mine's like AlohaDawg's, where I start messing with it (although usually I don't have any solution, I just have to wing it) and it gets bigger and bigger until it's about the size of a dinner plate, and then I invariably say, "Dammit!  I hate when that happens!"  You know, is if it happens all the time.  

Sometimes I have dreams where I can't open my eyes all the way.  I can only see this little slit in front of me, and I try really hard to open my eyes but the harder I try the worse it gets.  I think that this happens when I actually am sleeping with my eyes slightly open, so the more I try to open them further the less of the dream-world I can actually see.  As if the dream-world is being projected onto the backs of my eyelids or something.  

These are worse than the dreams where I'm being chased (invariably by pinstripe-suited gangsters with tommy guns) and my feet feel like they're encased in concrete.  I had this dream recurrently for fifteen years, and I always ended up in the house where I grew up, trying frantically to get up the stairs.  When I make it up the stairs, I can move again, but I would always hide under the bed in my brother's room, and the gangsters would find me.  They'd lift up the bed skirt, thrust the muzzle of the gun underneath, and I'd watch my face explode from the inside.  Then I'd wake up screaming.  One night, when I was about seventeen, I had this massive attack of deja vu in the middle of this dream, and I knew that I had to hide someplace else.  So instead of my brother's room, I went into the den and shimmied down a rope which happened to be hanging conveniently out the second-story window.  I have not had this dream even once since then.  It was awesome.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 05, 2004, 04:34:00 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Vaguely OT but I was just thinking about this yesterday:

Has anybody else had the thing where you're just falling asleep then you suddenly snap fully awake and it feels like your 6 inches in the air and suddenly fall back onto the bed?

Or am I even crazier than I thought?


I almost always have this while dreaming that I'm falling off a ladder.  It's always within the first five minutes of sleeping, and it's always a ladder.  

You think my dream-self would learn not to climb ladders, but no.  Instead I end up jerking like a jerk and kicking poor Pedro in the calves.


I haven't done it lately but when it did happen I swear I would bounce when I hit the bed. For a while I though maybe I was standing up to sleepwalk but woke up midway and fell back down. Except I've never actually sleep walked. Maybe I'm just really really bad at it.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 05, 2004, 04:37:38 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
These are worse than the dreams where I'm being chased (invariably by pinstripe-suited gangsters with tommy guns) and my feet feel like they're encased in concrete.  I had this dream recurrently for fifteen years, and I always ended up in the house where I grew up, trying frantically to get up the stairs.  When I make it up the stairs, I can move again, but I would always hide under the bed in my brother's room, and the gangsters would find me.  They'd lift up the bed skirt, thrust the muzzle of the gun underneath, and I'd watch my face explode from the inside.  Then I'd wake up screaming.  One night, when I was about seventeen, I had this massive attack of deja vu in the middle of this dream, and I knew that I had to hide someplace else.  So instead of my brother's room, I went into the den and shimmied down a rope which happened to be hanging conveniently out the second-story window.  I have not had this dream even once since then.  It was awesome.


Oh my God! I don't have time to get detailed right now but something similar happened to me. I used to have a recurring nightmare when I was little involving a store, glowing red ***** skeleton, and a good/evil reversed Masters of the Universe world. I'd always escape somehow but one time I recognized that it was a dream was able to rush through the script. After that I never had the dream again.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 05, 2004, 04:51:11 am
This is the weirdest coolest thread ever.

I used to do that jerking thing too, mine was always riding a bike and then crashing the bike. It kind of FEELS like you were levitating and dropped but I figure if I were levitating in my sleep, someone would have told me by now...
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: andalucia on February 05, 2004, 04:55:44 am
Oh man, I wish I could defeat dreams.  For a few years, I had really atmospheric, vivid dreams that were all set in one sinister and totally imaginary city.  It was pretty great, since it was this entire self-contained, consistant world.  However, now my dreams are just the usual fairly blatant crap.  The symbolism is disappointingly transparent.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 05, 2004, 05:04:23 am
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
This is the weirdest coolest thread ever.


The wierdest part is seeing someone else describe a dream you often have yourself.  Dreams are so personal, so unique -- or so we think.  It makes you wonder -- if dreams really are just a random series of neuron firings, what makes certain neurons fire in a particular order some people and not in others?  And if it's some cosmic way of wrestling with our subconscousnesses, what is it about me and AlohaDawg and Wombat, that makes us panic over supersized contact lenses?  

Freeky.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Choop on February 05, 2004, 05:07:45 am
First off, sorry about my cheesiness back there. Oddly, though, it's pretty much true about the lack-of-flying-dreams-since-I-became-happy thing.

Anyway: My "being chased" recurring dream always put me back to like nine years old (probably when they started), and in the house I lived in at that time, dragging my brother behind me. Naturally, the rooms were still there, and in the right places, but the yard was different and there were all these secret passageways inside the houses and everything - one of which was accessible from under my brother's bed. Wierd. Eerie. Weerie.

I realized when I was about fifteen that I could experience lucid dreams, and haven't had too many nightmares since then. It's pretty hard to be terrorized when you can call up the powers of any superhero you've ever imagined.

I do recall one from a few weeks ago, as it was particularly vivid and woke me up (no easy task without a cup of coffee), wherein I was a rock star, my wife was my manager, an ex-girlfriend was my wife, and we and various and sundry others shared a bungalow at some posh resort at some stop on my tour. Everyone left so I could prepare for the evening off out at dinner and the theatre, and when I remembered to shut off the back porch light, I walked out back and saw this river of sewage flowing down the hill, past all the other bungalows. There were guys down there trying to clean it all up, and they asked for help, but I had reservations, man! Weeks in advance! I tried to break it to them gently, but they chased me around and through the River O' Shit and over the bungalow's privacy fence, and while I was hanging off the porch railing, trying to heave myself over it (no easy task without superpowers), they started throwing bricks at me. I somehow knew ahead of time the third brick would kill me, so I dodged it artfully, falling to the ground in the process. The fourth brick summarily smashed me in the face, which woke me and (I presume) killed my dream character.

Yeah... analyze that.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Bozack on February 05, 2004, 07:44:15 am
Man, I don't remember my dreams at all. Although over the summer, I was reading St. Augustine's "City of God," because I had a really odd childhood religiously, and I wanted to get this God character sorted once and for all. And I kept having nightmares where I was in hell, having my skin flayed off and being boiled in tar, etc. Which, as you can imagine, was horrifying. BUT. The final straw was, one night, I woke up from those dreams to the alarm on my computer, which randomly plays a song from my iTunes. Imagine waking up from seeing your face being peeled off and realizing it was just a dream (sigh), and then realizing you're listening to Nick Cave's "Death is Not The End."
I actually have really weird music experiences. Like listening to "There's a Light That Never Goes Out", by the Smiths (chorus: "And if a double decker bus, crashes into us, to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die") when finding out an ex-girlfriend died in a car crash with her boyfriend, or singing "Girlfriend in a Coma", by the Smiths (chorus: "Girlfriend in a coma, I know, I know it's serious"), with my girlfriend, who, minutes later, was struck by a car and went into a monthlong coma.
Hah, this randomly became the MOST DEPRESSING POST EVER.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: wombat on February 05, 2004, 10:42:28 am
Ugh, maybe I need to avoid contributing to this thread.  Last night I had a brand new combination of my scary dreams where flaming airplane wreckage was falling out of the sky and I couldn't get any of my phones to dial 911.

I'm sure I've read that you can avoid the night terrors/paralysis thing by not sleeping on your back.

I think the contact lens anxiety must be due to being so dependent on them when they are so fragile and complicated.  Seeing, it's so fundamental, you know?
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: andalucia on February 05, 2004, 12:58:00 pm
God this thread turned out incredibly interesting and depressing.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: slink on February 05, 2004, 01:10:52 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"

I almost always have this while dreaming that I'm falling off a ladder.  It's always within the first five minutes of sleeping, and it's always a ladder.


Yea, I occasionally get it happening where I fall off something, but a lot of the time it's even before I am dreaming. I get it all the time if I am fantastically tired but am stressing slightly (most of the time, since I am a partial insomniac and most nights have to wait til I am falling asleep to actually sleep).
The other thing I remembered, which the contacts reminded me of, is that sometimes I'll be dreaming and physics won't work. I'll try to ride a bike, and this can even happen in daydreaming, but the bike will just fall over constantly. No matter how hard I try to have it remain upright, like it should, it just doesn't work!

I did see a really interesting, and at the time scary program, about sleep paralysis. It was being linked with this thing happening alot in the northern US, where people were waking up, unable to move, and this cloaked figure was coming into the room to kill them. Apparently a lot of people had the same dream while they were half unconscious and paralysed, and since you're on the very edge of consciousness...
But they also talked about the people who go off and kill people in their sleep, without even realised what they've done. They just wake up in a car somewhere covered in blood. And they kill people they wouldn't even want to harm too, because they were unconscious. Needless to say when I was 12 and suffering badly from sleep paralysis and odd dreams, as well as occasionally waking up outside, it concerned me slightly.

Fortunately now my only real sleep problem is tied to the CFS and is that I go through fortnightly bouts of insomnia and narcolepsy. I'll spend ages unable to get to sleep til I pass out, and then I'll spend the odd fortnight where I'm conscious for about 2 hours a day. Which can be a little frustrating.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 05, 2004, 02:47:00 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Oh man, I wish I could defeat dreams.  For a few years, I had really atmospheric, vivid dreams that were all set in one sinister and totally imaginary city.  It was pretty great, since it was this entire self-contained, consistant world.  However, now my dreams are just the usual fairly blatant crap.  The symbolism is disappointingly transparent.


You could always buy one of those devices that teaches you to have lucid dreams. They're googles that an houror so after you go to bed they flash dim red lights for like 3 seconds. Supposedly while dreaming you'll see the row of red lights just blink in the middle of the air for no reason. After seeing it a few nights in a row one night you'll suddenly register what the lights are, realize you're dreaming, and be able to take over.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: slink on February 05, 2004, 03:05:47 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

After seeing it a few nights in a row one night you'll suddenly register what the lights are, realize you're dreaming, and be able to take over.


Hmmm, but do they work?
I use to be able to lucid dream, and really dug being able to. Was so much fun, but not in a long time, since I went through a phase of never dreaming and lost the ability.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 05, 2004, 04:09:04 pm
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,1282,41478,00.html
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jough on February 05, 2004, 04:52:01 pm
This thread has prompted a similar discussion with my insignificant other about how I haven't had a nightmare since I was about 14 years old.  I never really thought much of it, but I have the similar type of nightmare dreams, except in my dreams *I'm* the antagonist to some faceless human-shaped thing.

Like chasing dreams.  I've had dreams when I was a kid where I was being chased by someone.  Now if I ever have a chasing dream it's me who is chasing someone.

Sometimes I wonder if there's someone on the receiving end, and that I'm actually chasing/murdering/fuck*ng another dreamer (not necessarily in that order or all in the same dream).

I'll leave you all with that thought.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: wombat on February 05, 2004, 05:10:01 pm
I thought Jough had weirded me out as far as possible with his post about dreaming about sex every night.  But I was wrong.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: slink on February 05, 2004, 06:54:17 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
I thought Jough had weirded me out as far as possible with his post about dreaming about sex every night.  But I was wrong.


Yea, I'm beginning to think he really needs to change that avatar, since connecting these scary things to that face is just creepy!
Oh wait, yes...
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Bozack on February 05, 2004, 07:54:50 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
God this thread turned out incredibly interesting and depressing.

Ha, my goal is to make every topic really depressing. In the next Ghetto Chef, I'm going to make a joke about eating babies, tie that into "A Modest Proposal", and finish up with a list of 20th century starvation figures.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: andalucia on February 05, 2004, 09:09:39 pm
Toss in some frightening figures about nuclear arms, star-wipe to the hole in the ozone layer, and bam!  It's a wrap!
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: V-Adore on February 05, 2004, 09:58:29 pm
Wow, this got depressing fast.

I've never really had a chain of recurring dreams, but I have had a series of pseudo-anxiety dreams; typically they're dreams in which I fuck something major up (kill someone/prevent the resurrection of a dead person, lose something valuable) and everyone forgives me and is entirely placid about it. A similar theme has been me being entirely placid about some such thing: "wait, it's finals week and I never even bought any of my textbooks! Ah, it's okay, I think I know most of the material, and I can go to the bookstore if I'm confused."

The one "chase" dream I've had was sort of similar: a group of classmates (not my actual classmates) and I were touring a giant glass skyscraper when we were captured by a serial killer. He very calmly explained everything to us -- he would give us each a Tic-Tac, and then he would kill us -- and we took everything very well until he refused to let me finish my gum before taking the Tic-Tac and dying, at which point I freaked out, attacked him ineffectually, and then ran. The problem was that the entire skyscraper was made of clear glass, so he could see me wherever I ran and could give chase... but somehow I got out scot-free, felt an immense flood of exhilaration and relief, and woke up. It wasn't really a nightmare, even though it should have been, but was just profoundly odd.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Limmo on February 05, 2004, 11:20:41 pm
Let's see, I had a dream fairly recently in which there were two Mexican chain restaurants on either side of a steep hill.  And the staff and customers of each restaurant went back and forth murdering each other, with increasingly gruesome results.  

Towards the end of the dream, a sweet Mexican grandmother cracked my head open, tore out my brains, incorporated them into a tamale, served them to me, and chided me when I told her I wasn't hungry.

The dream, which seemed to go on forever, ended when someone from the other side of the hill crashed a fully loaded semi into the restaurant I was in.

I sometimes see Prince in my dreams, too.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 05, 2004, 11:28:49 pm
Limmo, that sounds like a lovely ballad. You should write it.

A Cannibal, restaurant version of Fist Full of Dollars. I LOVE IT!

This is almost as good an idea as someone I knew had for a Western Movie featuring clowns: Rio Bozo.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: wombat on February 06, 2004, 12:14:23 am
Limmo, you have to submit that dream to slowwave.com.  I want to see it with illustrations!
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: V-Adore on February 06, 2004, 12:38:18 am
That deserves a SlowWave drawing, yeah. Especially the part with the brain tamale.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Bozack on February 06, 2004, 07:33:25 pm
I actually remembered my dream last night.
I was back home in Kentucky, and I went with my brother and sister to this bar. But it was packed, so we decided to go get food. And the rest of the dream was me deciding what place in Louisville I'll eat first when I get home.
Steak and Shake?
Qdoba?
Lynn's Paradise Cafe?
Arslans Kebob?
Man, of course I would have a dream about home, and have it be all about fast food. I am a fat kid at heart.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AugustWest on February 06, 2004, 08:15:14 pm
Why, you'd go to Lynn's for breakfast (of course) and then Q-Doba for lunch.  Duh.

I'm just grateful they opened a Q-Doba here in Frankfort.  Now I can have grilled veggie burritos with the habenero salsa for lunch.

What bar were you in?  The Back Door?  The Bambi?  Tewligans?
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Limmo on February 06, 2004, 08:26:07 pm
I used to have a hard time remembering my dreams.  I discovered that if you have some kind of Vitamin C before retiring ( juice, supplement, etc. ), I remembered the dreams in great detail.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: slink on February 06, 2004, 08:32:37 pm
I had a really odd dream when I passed out this afternoon, probably thanks to this thread...
I was sat at home, and there was some bizarrity about youths stealing our car, but we saw it on camera, and it set off an alarm thing, so we watched the police drag them away. So then the police were returning the car to us, only they didn't arrive. Instead, these three cars full of Croatians arrived outside our front door and started to do odd things, removing the door and such. I tried to call the police who said 'your car is back now' to which I said, it wasn't and that people were breaking in, the co just said 'oh' and disappeared. I then couldn't get through to him at all.
At this point I started to ferry people out the back window, and just as I was about to hop out, I woke up thinking 'eeew I'm not enjoying this'. I was scarily aware of it being a dream, though when I woke up it felt real. It was very vivid.

I then went back to sleep and had a dream involving Josh Homme which was far better. Though I woke up before I got to record an album with him!
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: andalucia on February 06, 2004, 09:16:54 pm
Out of curiosity, how could you tell they were Croatian?
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: slink on February 06, 2004, 09:41:39 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
Out of curiosity, how could you tell they were Croatian?


Erm, they had beards!
No, I just seemed to decide in my head in my dream that they were Croatian. I honestly don't know why.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Bozack on February 06, 2004, 10:41:40 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
What bar were you in?  The Back Door?  The Bambi?  Tewligans?

God, what's the one way down on Baxter, with a deck and a volleyball court? I've never been in there, but there used to be an abandoned gyroscope (I think; one of those contraptions made up of several circles of steel, in which one stands and is twirled upside down) in the parking lot next door. So, at around 2 in the morning, my friends and I would be in the parking lot, just gyroscoping the hell OUT, and drunk people would stagger out, watch us, and fall down.
We went back one day, and someone had put a chain and lock on the gyroscope, so you couldn't use it. That was a dark day.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: andalucia on February 06, 2004, 10:53:54 pm
I had to do a Google search to find out what you meant, but know that I know, I can't think why anyone would EVER abandon one somewhere.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 06, 2004, 11:21:50 pm
Quote from: "Limmo"
I used to have a hard time remembering my dreams.  I discovered that if you have some kind of Vitamin C before retiring ( juice, supplement, etc. ), I remembered the dreams in great detail.


So if I take vitamin C, you will remember your dreams? Cool. I'll do that this evening. We want a full report.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Limmo on February 06, 2004, 11:46:09 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "Limmo"
I used to have a hard time remembering my dreams.  I discovered that if you have some kind of Vitamin C before retiring ( juice, supplement, etc. ), I remembered the dreams in great detail.


So if I take vitamin C, you will remember your dreams? Cool. I'll do that this evening. We want a full report.


The report will probably read something like this: Fell asleep. Dreamed that I flew to Hawaii, took a cab to AlohaDawg's house, punched him in the face when he answered the door, and then went back to the airport and flew home.  I wonder what that meant?
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AugustWest on February 07, 2004, 02:25:14 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
What bar were you in?  The Back Door?  The Bambi?  Tewligans?

God, what's the one way down on Baxter, with a deck and a volleyball court? I've never been in there, but there used to be an abandoned gyroscope (I think; one of those contraptions made up of several circles of steel, in which one stands and is twirled upside down) in the parking lot next door. So, at around 2 in the morning, my friends and I would be in the parking lot, just gyroscoping the hell OUT, and drunk people would stagger out, watch us, and fall down.
We went back one day, and someone had put a chain and lock on the gyroscope, so you couldn't use it. That was a dark day.


Are you talking about The Brewery or The c*ck Thrill?
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Bozack on February 07, 2004, 02:45:33 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Are you talking about The Brewery or The c*ck Thrill?

......
Well, it sure as hell wasn't the c*ck THRILL, as I would have remembered THAT. I guess the Brewery.
Did you spend a lot of time at the Back Door? I knew a guy who was there almost every night.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 07, 2004, 04:01:22 am
I'm just hoping that the c*ck Thrill and the Backdoor aren't too close together. These sound like some of the clubs on Halsted Street in Chicago. My favorite one was "the ManHole".  Never went in, just always marveled driving past,
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AugustWest on February 07, 2004, 04:17:49 am
Re-reading that, those names sound misleadingly suggestive.  The Backdoor is pretty much a neighborhood tavern in the back of a stripmall.  The c*ck Thrill is actually called the Phoenix Hill Tavern, but accuired its nickname because it's a big multilevel dance club where it's each to pick up members of the opposite sex.

And no, I never spent much time at either place.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2004, 06:34:52 am
Oh oh oh, I just remembered I had an achewood themed dream a few weeks ago.  The details are very vauge now, but it had something to do with a battle or some such.  And there was a barge or large boat that myself, Teodor, and Phillipe were trying to navigate through some treacherous water.  It seems like Ray or Beef maybe was also involved at some level, but I can't remember now.  It was an awesome dream, how come we can't seem to remember them?

~Paul
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: wombat on February 07, 2004, 11:29:51 am
Quote from: "Bozack"
God, what's the one way down on Baxter, with a deck and a volleyball court? I've never been in there, but there used to be an abandoned gyroscope (I think; one of those contraptions made up of several circles of steel, in which one stands and is twirled upside down) in the parking lot next door. So, at around 2 in the morning, my friends and I would be in the parking lot, just gyroscoping the hell OUT, and drunk people would stagger out, watch us, and fall down.
We went back one day, and someone had put a chain and lock on the gyroscope, so you couldn't use it. That was a dark day.


When I first read this quickly I thought you were describing another dream.  Are you sure it really happened?
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Choop on February 07, 2004, 02:11:22 pm
Paul: This is the most important question, and hopefully you can remember this one detail: How big were Teodor and Phillippe, especially in terms of relation to you?
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2004, 03:03:03 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"
Paul: This is the most important question, and hopefully you can remember this one detail: How big were Teodor and Phillippe, especially in terms of relation to you?


I think they were human sized.

~Paul
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: andalucia on February 07, 2004, 03:31:43 pm
Gross!  




Three dimensions or two?
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: slink on February 07, 2004, 03:49:45 pm
And yet another TMBG song get's stuck in my head. (Well, I wilfully changed human size to actual size)
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Bozack on February 07, 2004, 04:31:04 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
When I first read this quickly I thought you were describing another dream.  Are you sure it really happened?

Ha, yeah, it happened, although it was really bizarre.
Quote from: "AugustWest"
The c*ck Thrill is actually called the Phoenix Hill Tavern, but accuired its nickname because it's a big multilevel dance club where it's each to pick up members of the opposite sex.

Oh, so that's what the kids are calling it these days. No, it wasn't at the c*ck Thrill.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Mite on February 07, 2004, 05:37:53 pm
So I'm a little late in joining the thread, but here goes. I haven't been a huge dreamer for a long time, other than the occasional anxious nightmare (late for the first day of school, naked at school, or both). But since I started on Zoloft, it's been dream-o-rama every night. Boy howdy, this stuff is fun. Last night I hung out with the cast of M*A*S*H, fixed pipes (literally), parked cars while my dad preached the Christmas Eve service at our old church, and then got my pipes fixed (metaphorically). And I, too, end up getting some in my dreams pretty much nightly, which is more than I can say for real life.

Still working on the lucid dreaming, though. For more exploration of the topic, check out a movie that would be a terrible student film if not for the awesome animation, Waking Life.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: V-Adore on February 07, 2004, 08:23:18 pm
Quote from: "Mite"
So I'm a little late in joining the thread, but here goes. I haven't been a huge dreamer for a long time, other than the occasional anxious nightmare (late for the first day of school, naked at school, or both). But since I started on Zoloft, it's been dream-o-rama every night. Boy howdy, this stuff is fun. Last night I hung out with the cast of M*A*S*H, fixed pipes (literally), parked cars while my dad preached the Christmas Eve service at our old church, and then got my pipes fixed (metaphorically). And I, too, end up getting some in my dreams pretty much nightly, which is more than I can say for real life.

I rather like the juxtaposition between literal and metaphorical pipe-fixing. Stylish.

The other night I had what I suppose you could call a prophetic dream -- I dreamt that, in the course of the night, my roommate woke me up via wandering around and doing strange things in the room. So what happened? I get woken up two hours early by the roommate doing something strange. (And The Asshole arbitrarily slamming his door about five times, but let's not go there...)
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Bozack on February 08, 2004, 06:02:06 pm
Whoa. I got a little twisty on Jack and Coke last night, and when I went to bed I had this really odd dream. I was in some sort of godawful Spencer's-Gift's-esque store with my siblings, where I was trying to buy a game for an original Game Boy and one of those toy gum catrons shaped like someone's head. I was standing in line, and waiting for the clerk to give me back my credit card, when this girl next to me started to try to burn me with matches. I get pissed off and start shouting at her, and she just ignores me. Then, I'm looking at my bag, and someone's stapled this short story to it, that I think I read last year while compiling the literary magazine at my school.
Then, I dreamt that I was awake, and my brother (who spent last night at his girlfriend's place, and still isn't home) was in the room. And, because last night I was drunk enough that I stripped nude before going to bed, I woke up and freaked the hell out trying to find my boxers.
I think this means I hate Spencer's Gifts, and girls, and short stories, and I probably should never be nude.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jough on February 08, 2004, 08:09:31 pm
Last night I had a dream that I was in Texas, and watching the news seeing a little graphic of the United States with little mushroom clouds over at least 20 cities while the news reporter explained that we were undergoing a massive terrorist attack.

I was with a group of people whom I've never met, and we were all planning to head south into Mexico.  An old woman was slicing down a human head on a meat slicer (you know, for sandwiches) and I killed an old man with a pencil to get his panel truck so we could escape.

Always pleasant dreams in my house.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Bozack on February 08, 2004, 09:15:36 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Always pleasant dreams in my house.

Wow, man. I'm trying to write a script for a comic, and in part of the story, they drive through middle America, which is essentially a wasteland, spotted by corporate towns, and populated sparsely by cannibals. Can I steal your brain?
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on February 11, 2004, 12:27:03 pm
Ok, this is really raw because I just woke up, but I want to relate my dreams before I forget them.

Three dreams...

first dream:

I'm on a train, it's an old west train, and we are going through the desert.  On this train with me are Willie Nelson and Ray Benson from Asleep at the Wheel.  There are also a lot of other unspecified people in the car, it's very crowded.  I'm standing by the door holding a strap.  Willie is right beside me and Ray Benson is directly behind me.  Everything seems pretty mundane, but I percieve that this is actually a miniture train on a large table.  Also, we are being filmed, it's an important scene in a movie.  An unknown Willie Nelson song is playing, which is the music to accompany the scene.  The dream is a loop.  We just ride the train for a little while, no one is talking, only the music is playing.  Then it starts over again.  This happened three times.  On the third time around I turned and said I needed to use the restroom and the train stopped and I got off.  Then I woke up and went to the restroom.

Second dream:

I'm the governor of an unspecified state and I have fallen in love with the governor of another unspecified state (it's no one I know or recognize).  This part has grown vauge, but it seems like we had a date.  next scene I am looking at a piece of cable, which is apparantly a special keepsake to me.  One of the ends of the cable is frayed and seeing how the wires intertwine gives me an idea on how to propose to this woman (never mind that there are three wires in a cable rather than two).  Next scene.  There is an island in the harbor which is just away from the great bridge which connects the city to the mainland.  It could be St. Louis.  A fantasy version of St. Louis or something.  They have fashioned a rigging from the island to the bridge and I am going to strap on a pair of wings and glide down this rigging from the bridge to the island where my lady awaits for me to propose.  I see all of this unfold from the bridge.  Next scene.  Now i'm on the island, but the perception is totally different.  We are preparing for the event.  We can see them hoisting the rigging onto the bridge, but instead of an island in the bay we are in a drainage ditch and we are planting sod.  A truck is dumping dirt and we are all working hard.  I'm still the governor though.  Next scene.  I'm back at the bridge and my father is giving a speech.  He's announcing me, but he's working the crowd.  My 13 year old nephew is there.  Just as I step up to the edge of the bridge and they start strapping me into this rigging (it has wings on it btw) I wake up.

Third dream:

I'm in a waterpark and for some reason the water flows to the top of the hill instead of the bottom.  I'm having a hard time getting myself to float along, but my date (another unknown woman) is having an even harder time and is just below me, but out of reach.  Just above me is the lifeguard of the ride and she is coaxing me forward.  Finally my date catches a current and is pulled forward she grabs me and we both go up the rapid.  The lifeguard goes with us.  When we get to the top we are all laughing.  We are still laughing as we approach a door.  My date playfully pushes the lifeguard through the door except the door isn't properly sized and she smashes her face into the threshold.  She's bleeding and her nose is broke.  I grab her and start walking her along.  I'm yelling out "where is the first aid.  We are walking along briskly, but stop so I can squirt mustard out of one of those little packets onto a piece of lettuce.  Scene change.  We, my mother, sister and I are standing in a hallway.  I percieve we are in a hospital.  Nothing happens, a few seconds pass and I wake up.

~Paul

Edit:  I was puzzled that I percieved I was in St. Louis, but there was no arch.  While in the shower it occured to me that the bridge across the bay was actually the arch.  No wait, that can't be because from below we could clearly see it was a bridge.  Ok, in this version of St. Louis the arch is actually a bridge across the bay.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 11, 2004, 03:33:08 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"
We are walking along briskly, but stop so I can squirt mustard out of one of those little packets onto a piece of lettuce.  


For some reason this really struck me as funny.  It's just the kind of random oddness that always seems really important in my dreams.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: V-Adore on February 11, 2004, 03:36:41 pm
This one's a few days old, but it's the best lately, so...

I was attending some sort of live-in boarding school which for some reason divided up its dormitory areas into the four houses from Harry Potter; I had been sorted into Gryffindor, for reasons unknown. I spent most of the dream just wandering around the dorms, which bore a strange resemblance to the lobby area of my waking-world high school, right down to the trophy cases; each of the houses had other special rooms and features off of its common space. I spent a lot of time in the Hufflepuff section, because most of my friends had been sorted into Hufflepuff, and I became very envious of their dorms -- they had a pool, among other things. I returned to the Gryffindor common places and dropped into a sulk, because everyone else had much more interesting stuff, until I opened a door off of our common space and found a large amphitheater, with statues of Founding Fathers posed (?!) at the podia. My reaction: "Huh. Okay, I guess that's pretty cool." I seem to vaguely recall a debate happening in that amphitheater thereafter, but what happened is sort of blurry.

I could use more "put into an odd situation and wandering around" dreams. They're sort of like 1980's adventure games, but usually with better visuals.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Bozack on February 11, 2004, 05:17:39 pm
I had a really freaky dream the other night. It started out, I was watching this guy shoot all of these people in this house; then, he, his girlfriend, and this other dude get stuck in a room together. Suddenly, I'm the shooter, and I kill the other guy by tipping a filing cabinet onto his throat. Then, I shoot out the lock and try to run out of the house. A skinhead suddenly appears before me and refuses to let me pass, so I punch him, and all of his teeth fall out. Then, I get outside of the house (which, as it turns out, is located exactly where the house I grew up in is) and start running down the block. I look behind me, and the skinhead, with no teeth, blood running down his chin and a board he grabbed somewhere, is chasing me. Somehow, I know that if he catches me, he's going to beat me to death, so I slow down and try to tell him we don't have to fight eachother. He refuses to listen, so I keep running. And I can feel myself slowing down, and I know he's right behind me, and...I woke up.
Now, that is one of those dreams where, afterwards, you go sit at the kitchen table for about an hour holding your head in your hands.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: slink on February 11, 2004, 06:15:18 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Somehow, I know that if he catches me, he's going to beat me to death


Funnily enough I get that feeling right after I punch out a skinheads teeth.

And I know what you mean. When I wake up from dreams because they're unpleasant, it's never the 'waking up cos somethings just killed you' dream anymore, it's always the 'it's getting nastier and nastier and you're quite probably about to die' thing.
It's like my brain is just hitting F9 before the actual death.

F9 is the key usually assigned as quickload in FPS', although I tend to to not use it in this way, since you know, I might survive, and then I'd kick myself! Far more fun waiting til actual death.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 12, 2004, 06:13:23 pm
I bet Bozack's dream would be easy to interpret using the dream dictionary.  I know there's a special thing about dreaming about your own teeth falling out -- my grandmother told me it means you're going to find money unexpectedly.  I don't know what it means when you knock someone else's teeth out, tho.  

I dreamed last night that I was buying baby clothes.  I wasn't pregnant, nor did I have a child, but I found a great sale so I bought a bunch of cute baby clothes on the assumption that I will eventually have a baby.  

Also, about three days ago, I dreamed I had the most beautiful baby girl in the world, and it was her first night home from the hospital.  She had eyes like Pedro and loooong eyelashes, and a full head of light brown hair.  She was crying, and it woke me into that part of the dream.  She was in a bassinet by our bed, and Pedro was sleeping in the guest room because he had to work in the morning.  I got up to take care of her, and I was still holding her when I woke up for real.  It was kind of dissapointing to realize that there really wasn't a bassinet in our room -- just dirty laundry.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jay-ell on March 15, 2004, 05:35:21 pm
Here's another one.  

I dreamed last night that Pedro and I had chartered a bus to drive cross-country, picking up Ache-heads as we went.  We started in the Northeast, of course, because that's where the few of y'all I've actually met live, but then we headed down South.  It was extremely awesome.  The odd thing was, y'all wouldn't tell me your screen names, so I had to guess who was who -- which is a lot harder in Dreamland, where time and distance don't actually mean anything.  So I don't actually know exactly who was in my dream, except for those whose pictures I've seen or who I've met in person.    

Definitely the coolest dream I've had in a long time.  Way cooler than the previous night's dream, where I was killed by a cyclops and woke up as Buffy Summers, only to discover that Spike didn't love me after all.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: slink on March 15, 2004, 06:55:19 pm
I had crazy hella loads of dreams the last week, all tinged by fever, which meant they were, erm, interesting to say the least.
Lots of them seemed to involve me getting into cars but being woken up before actually getting to drive, which is disappointing since I haven't driven in about 4 or 5 months now and miss it sorely.
Unfortunately I can't really remember anything in detail.
What was less a dream and more a psychotic hallucination would be me feeling like my entire body was all tangled and nothing was circulating. So I was desperately writhing around trying to free it all up, while at a temperature of like a hundred and twevety four or something insane.
I think.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: andalucia on March 15, 2004, 09:14:40 pm
Fever-induced dreams are seven kinds of crazy.  I had one week a year or so ago where I was lying in bed deleriously tripping out and trying to remember the face of anyone I knew.  I eventually could picture the face of this one girl I know (but not her near-identical twin, for some reason), but then it morphed into some sort of basset-hound-like monster.

Mostly my dreams are just very art-schooly, just me wandering around a sinister black and white city.  The last dream I remember, I was falling through a hole in the ice, and as I was drowning, I looked up and there was a man in a purple suit quietly speaking to me in Chinese.  

What the hell does that mean?
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: V-Adore on March 15, 2004, 09:25:08 pm
I slept in fits and starts last night, which oddly enough resulted in my remembering a really hellacious amount of one long, weird dream.

The dream was about my flying home for Spring Break (IRL, this will happen next weekend). I realized how weird it was just to be met by my mother at the airport. Mom and I then drove away from the airport, and I sat in the car thinking about being on vacation; it seemed really quite transgressive. Strangely, we were driving through classical "California driving" movie sets, and eventually we passed into a Bryce-Canyon-style collection of ravines and pink rock formations; we got out of the car and started moving through them on foot. Up close, I realized that the patterns on the rocks were actually painted on, so evidently we were walking through a gigantic stage set, or perhaps an amusement park; eventually we were on the center platform of one of those elaborate playground structures, set up sort of like a maze of ladders and slides. I suggested a way down, and maybe we went down or didn't, but the next thing I remember my mother was joking with another set of people about the long and dangerous ways we'd be taking home (a rocket to Beirut came up). I was worried about this, but in the next "scene" I can remember, we were back in Lincoln.

For some reason, in Lincoln we decided to go shopping at this very chintzy, Afterthoughts-sort-of kiosk place; I distinctly remember thinking despairingly in the dream that this was the only place to shop in town. I saw a necklace which I was interested, a sort of solid brass wire with heavy hematite carved beads, and tried it on; it looked hideous on, but Mom and I resolved that we would go somewhere else to look for hematite jewelry, which is where the dream ended.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AugustWest on March 20, 2004, 11:41:55 pm
I don't remember my dreams very often, but I did this morning.

I dreamed I had gotten a tattoo of a rose, right below my current tattoo (a yin-yang about the size of dime on my left shoulder.)  The rose had a little banner which read "173" in front of it.  173 had some symbolic significance which was clear to me as I was being tattooed.  However, I immediately forgot its special meaning.

As I awoke and the dream was ending, I was very concerned about showing my new acquisition to Mrs. West.  I didn't know how I'd explain the "173".

It was very real, and I looked at my arm to make sure the rose wasn't there.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Mantonio on March 20, 2004, 11:57:19 pm
One recurring nightmare I have is that I have to sleep in a basement bedroom full of dog and feces.  God I hate that dream.  

Oh, and I had an Achewood dream the other night.  Phillipe was really afraid of a bat racist against *****s that had gotten loose in his room, so Lie Bot had to go in there, kill the bat and comfort Phillipe.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Mantonio on March 21, 2004, 12:09:31 am
Not long after 9/11 I had a dream that I was stuck in one of the dorms at UW after a plane had crashed into it, and we all knew it was all a matter of time before it would collapse, killing us all.  I was oddly philosophical about dying but was still pleasantly surprised when I walked out of the building with nary a scratch.  

Come to think about it, I have appocalyptic dreams rather often.  Most of the time it's your run of the mill nuclear blast - but never about the aftermath.  Usually I know an attack is imminent but am unable to do anything about it.  When I was in high school, I dreamed that terrorists had set off nuclear weapons in Paris and Cheyenne.  Since Cheyenne is just 45 miles over the hill from where I live, evacuation was a rather high priority.  My main worry was not being able to get on the same refugee bus with this girl I had a crush on at the time.  

Weirdest of all was a dream I had in the spring of 1992 about the Bosnian war spreading to Wyoming.  Laramie looked just like Sarejevo and there were Serb soldiers in the streets.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jough on March 21, 2004, 01:40:37 am
I don't know about 173 - but the number "137" has a great significance to physicists.

In fact, if you're ever in need of a physicist, you can write "137" on a sign and hold it up in an intersection in any major city.  Someone with a great deal of knowledge about physics will come to your aid.

I HAVE TRIED THIS AND IT WORKS
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AugustWest on March 21, 2004, 01:57:42 am
Are you going to share why 137 is significant to physicists?
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: CortJstr on March 21, 2004, 03:26:58 am
And 143 used to mean "I love you" back in the mid 90's when freaking everybody had a pager but not yet a cell phone.

Edit: Google owns us all: http://www.physlink.com/Education/AskExperts/ae186.cfm
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: sjlimmer on March 21, 2004, 03:46:59 am
Damn, I've got a degree in physics and I didn't even make the connection.  Of course, I was a horrible physics major....and I did open a bottle of Ancient Age a while back.

Ah, stupidity and drunkenness will always be my excuse....
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AugustWest on March 21, 2004, 04:24:16 am
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
and I did open a bottle of Ancient Age a while back.



Ah, Ancient Age, my utility Bourbon.  I drive by the distillery on my way to work.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jough on March 21, 2004, 05:46:37 am
Physics is kinda a hobby.

Yeah, geek am I.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: sjlimmer on March 21, 2004, 08:38:01 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
and I did open a bottle of Ancient Age a while back.


Ah, Ancient Age, my utility Bourbon.  I drive by the distillery on my way to work.


This is probably not quite as pleasant as it sounds, is it.

Quote from: "jough"
Physics is kinda a hobby.


Appearantly Jough does not need more science (but I do)
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: AugustWest on March 21, 2004, 09:17:05 pm
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Quote from: "sjlimmer"
and I did open a bottle of Ancient Age a while back.


Ah, Ancient Age, my utility Bourbon.  I drive by the distillery on my way to work.


This is probably not quite as pleasant as it sounds, is it.


While going to work is occasionally unpleasant, the distillery is pretty much inoffensive.  Sometimes it emits this yeasty smell which I find pleasant.  And the warehouses are more picturesque than say, an oil refinery.

Also, I suppose it's a matter of being used to them.  There's a different distillery (Jim Beam) right across the road from my office.  Old Taylor, Old Crow and Old Grand Dad are on the edge of town.  About  5 miles from them is the Labrot and Graham/Woodford Reserve distillery.  Wild Turkey is about 10 miles south of that.  Those are all within a 15 mile or so radius of Frankfort.  You've got similar situations around Bardstown, Louisville and Owensboro.  So distilleries are a pretty common sight around here.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on March 21, 2004, 09:33:17 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
While going to work is occasionally unpleasant, the distillery is pretty much inoffensive.  Sometimes it emits this yeasty smell which I find pleasant.  And the warehouses are more picturesque than say, an oil refinery.


Who says an oil refinery isn't picturesque?

~Paul
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: sjlimmer on March 21, 2004, 09:46:41 pm
Quote from: "pmcd9"


Who says an oil refinery isn't picturesque?

~Paul


This (http://www.atmos.washington.edu/~thompson/gasw1.gif) passes for a park here in Seattle.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: V-Adore on March 22, 2004, 02:26:18 am
I attempted to read the explanation of 137 and froze a half-paragraph in. I still have a physics phobia, engendered by a truly hateful high-school physics teacher; I am worried that this might cripple my whole science-grad-school idea, but... c'est la vie.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: andalucia on March 22, 2004, 04:18:42 am
Also a physics geek -- and 137 is of the things that's always made me want to just cry.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Bozack on March 22, 2004, 04:26:53 am
I was heavily into physics until sophomore year, when I attacked pornography with a relish I had not had since 5th grade. I used to want to be a physicist; after pornography, and a realization that I loved the concepts much more than the actual mathematics, I'm going to art school! And I'm not even going into a difficult major at art school! I'm going into Design & Technology!
DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY: I CAN DRAW ON THE COMPUTER!
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: slink on March 22, 2004, 10:45:17 am
Add to the pile of physics geeks.
Or maybe that should be bucky-ball of physics geeks.

Anyhow, I kepe having interesting dreams of late.
I had a kick ass one where I was in a first-person-shooter again. This time very Unreal2 like, only good. And I was some Captain and everyone was after us, and we had to do some weird shit in a lab with some glowy sticks and a button. But I never got that far, I got promoted first though, to Major, with a cool badge thing.

I then had one where my best mate came home from America, since I hadn't spoken to him for a frotnight when things went really bad for him. He came home yesterday. Which was nice.

I'm now trying to remember the really weird dream I had last night, I remember it being great, but it's one of those that I only remembered for the first 10 minutes after I woke up.
Alas, I'll try to remember.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on March 22, 2004, 03:20:26 pm
I had a dream two days ago where I met Jack and Meg from the White Stripes.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: jay-ell on March 22, 2004, 05:34:54 pm
I had a dream last night that I logged on to Achewood this morning, only to find a link above the strip (which was lame and forgettable) that said "Final Ray's Place!"  I clicked, and discovered, to my horror, that Ray's Place is ending, and the Variety Hour was coming back in force.

I woke up in a cold sweat, my fingers clenched around my pillow, screaming, "Oh, the humanity!"

</hyperbole>
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on March 23, 2004, 03:13:27 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
NIGHTMARE

Christ, JL, don't say shit like that.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Mantonio on March 23, 2004, 04:21:51 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
I had a dream last night that I logged on to Achewood this morning, only to find a link above the strip (which was lame and forgettable) that said "Final Ray's Place!"  I clicked, and discovered, to my horror, that Ray's Place is ending, and the Variety Hour was coming back in force.

I woke up in a cold sweat, my fingers clenched around my pillow, screaming, "Oh, the humanity!"

</hyperbole>


And I thought my dreams about the feces and invading Serbs were horrible. Variety Hour.  Shudder.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: Mantonio on March 23, 2004, 04:27:29 am
I always have the wierdest dreams about airplanes.  What usually happens is the plane starts to take off but sort of stalls and glides slowly just above the ground.  Pretty soon it stops altogether on a highway or street and I'm just sitting there thinking "Great.  Now it's gonna be hours before I get to Sacramento."  

Oddly enough, whenever I dream I'm flying under my own power, about 50% of the time I'm naked.  This typically doesn't bother me because I think any bystanders will be sufficiently impressed about me flying that they won't make a case out of me being naked.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: CortJstr on March 23, 2004, 04:13:55 pm
Quote from: "Mantonio"
Oddly enough, whenever I dream I'm flying under my own power, about 50% of the time I'm naked.  This typically doesn't bother me because I think any bystanders will be sufficiently impressed about me flying that they won't make a case out of me being naked.


Naked men should never be suspended stomach-down. Especially if I happen to be somehow standing beneath them. It would be uncomfortably dangly.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: V-Adore on March 27, 2004, 08:09:29 pm
I had a number of strange dreams over my travels this week, but the one I remember distinctly involved going back to my dorm room (via some sort of instantaneous travel that took me magically from home to dorm) to pick up my student ID, finding that the custodians were renovating the dorms such that my room was now joined with that of my suitemates (to my chagrin), and then getting glommed onto by my boyfriend, who apparently had known I was showing up. I seem to also recall playing Mega Man. It was a hell of a dream.
Title: Obligatory Dream Thread
Post by: CortJstr on March 27, 2004, 08:55:19 pm
The other night I was the Chosen One from Kung Pow visiting my old master a couple years after the events in the movie.