The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => People & Places => Topic started by: doomglobe on February 06, 2004, 04:01:10 pm

Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: doomglobe on February 06, 2004, 04:01:10 pm
(http://www.dltk-kids.com/crafts/cartoons/bags/cake.h4.jpg)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: V-Adore on February 06, 2004, 04:16:25 pm
Happy birthday to our glorious mod!
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 06, 2004, 04:26:34 pm
Thank you, thank you.  As some of you know, I've begun the elaborate chain of phone calls Pedro so cleverly set up, and I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of your sweet little voices.  So far, I've talked to Doomie (doomie, doom doom doom) and Paul (I hope they don't whip you too badly, Paul).  

You guys are too awesome.  

Almost as awesome as walking into my bathroom this morning and finding a gift on top of the toilet.  No, not from Pedro -- from my best girlfriend.  It was a leopard print toilet seat cover.  Yes.  It zips on.  

Pics to come.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: sjlimmer on February 06, 2004, 05:13:23 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
It was a leopard print toilet seat cover.  Yes.  It zips on.  

Pics to come.


With a little luck, this will be the most disturbing thing I hear today.

Happy birthday, though.  Hope that the jungle-themed bathroom accessory is an omen of a wonderful you day.  If you like that sort of thing...
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: wombat on February 06, 2004, 05:27:06 pm
Happy Birthday to the woman who is known around our house as "Number Two."

It's a compliment, really.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 06, 2004, 05:28:28 pm
Allright, I'll bite.  

Why number two?

I just had a lovely conversation with AugustWest, and resisted the temptation (with very little help from Mr. West, I might add) to let him tell me how he did on Jeopardy!  

Who's next?  I don't even know!
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 06, 2004, 05:33:12 pm
Bozack!  I got your voicemail!  But I couldn't remember my phone number!  So I'll call you back!
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 06, 2004, 05:35:53 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Almost as awesome as walking into my bathroom this morning and finding a gift on top of the toilet.  No, not from Pedro -- from my best girlfriend.  It was a leopard print toilet seat cover.  Yes.  It zips on.  

Pics to come.


Did anybody else completely mis-read the word "pics" the first time?

Also, happy escape from the tyrrannical womb day
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: wombat on February 06, 2004, 05:36:11 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Allright, I'll bite.  

Why number two?



Well, look at the memberlist.  But it only really makes sense if you were a fan of The Prisoner.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: AugustWest on February 06, 2004, 05:40:34 pm
Oh wow!  I really hope I'm number 6.

Goin' to check...
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: AugustWest on February 06, 2004, 05:42:09 pm
DAMMIT!!!  I'm 8.

Hey Jough, couldn't you delete a couple of those guys ahead of me?  The ones with less then 10 posts?
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 06, 2004, 05:51:52 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
Quote from: "jldunston"
Allright, I'll bite.  

Why number two?



Well, look at the memberlist.  But it only really makes sense if you were a fan of The Prisoner.


Ah, I see.  

It would've been number one if I were hosting this board in my own webspace.  Then y'all could have pretended to be Jean-Luc Picard whenever you mention me.

"Make it so, number one."  

I'm off to spend the day with the woman what birthed me.  But fear not!  I'll be taking Pedro's cell phone and will continue to call random people at the times indicated on these cute little envelopes here.  Apparently, Mom's in on the whole thing.  So if you pick up the phone and hear a girl giggling uncontrollably, it's because I'm getting a pedicure and it tickles.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: V-Adore on February 06, 2004, 06:15:53 pm
Bah, and here I spent so much time working out my class schedule and entirely forgot to e-mail Pedro back! Bah, bah, bah. Well, there's always a raincheck.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: Choop on February 06, 2004, 06:53:47 pm
Happy happy, JL!

Hope your chats with the folks all go as well as ours should have - you can ask Pedro for my excuse.

Lots of fanboi* admiration to you!


* oh my god did i just type "fanboi?" what's wrong with me?
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jough on February 06, 2004, 06:57:20 pm
Happy Birthday, JL.  Consider this twenty-*cough* whacks on your bare bottom *.

And one to grow on.






* Philly tradition.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: St_Zartan on February 06, 2004, 07:06:22 pm
I had this retarded idea that posting my birthday greetings before I spoke to you on the phone would somehow ruin it, and be poor etiquette besides.

So, then. Happy Birthday, in text form this time. And what is it with girls and leopard-print anything? It always makes me think Peg Bundy.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: AugustWest on February 06, 2004, 08:13:25 pm
Hey, Peg Bundy was bootylicious.

And happy birthday, JL!
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 06, 2004, 08:20:18 pm
Just a quick note -- I'm not at home -- but I wanted to thank St. Zartan and Asherdan for a lovely conversation.  I hope you weren't late for work, Zartan, and Asherdan, I'm seriously going to try that cell phone roulette thing.  

I also wanted to apologize to slink for having got cut off -- the calling card I was using ran out of time rather abruptly.  It's just as well.  I was starting to pick up the English accent.  We wouldn't want Americans running around speaking properly, now would we?
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: slink on February 06, 2004, 08:28:35 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"

I also wanted to apologize to slink for having got cut off -- the calling card I was using ran out of time rather abruptly.  It's just as well.  I was starting to pick up the English accent.  We wouldn't want Americans running around speaking properly, now would we?


Not to worry! Damn calling cards.
Anyhow, hipp birdies! Hope the rest of the day is good, and hell, why cut it off at the day!
And as for me speaking properly... eeshk! At least if you'd been Scottish I'd have lapsed into that accent instead, though it may be more catching, and far less understandable!
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 06, 2004, 09:51:41 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Hey, Peg Bundy was bootylicious.

And happy birthday, JL!

Yeah, didn't you see the one where she was a stripper named Jasmine? She always looked better with the wig off.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: andalucia on February 07, 2004, 04:17:13 am
Happy birthday JL!  I wish I didn't live in an unphoneable foreign nation, but best wishes nonetheless.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: pmcd9 on February 07, 2004, 05:47:20 am
Happy Birthday JL, it was great to speak to you today.  I can't even remember what we talked about, I seem to rrecall rattling on about something totally stuipid, but oh well.  I learned a few things in our short conversation, I hope my questions weren't too nosy.  My overall impression, you've got a cute voice to match your cute frame and you are ever bit as nice as you seem to be here on the board.  Pedro's a thoughtful guy, but your obviously worth the effort.

No they didn't whip me, they're using a cane now.

~Paul
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: Limmo on February 07, 2004, 06:08:39 am
Happy Birthday!  Glad I could be part of it, even for a limited time.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: Bozack on February 07, 2004, 07:46:59 am
Happy Birthday! Sorry I never have my phone on, HOWEVER our talk was extremely enjoyable. Also, sorry I'm late posting, I spent most of the evening getting a mohawk. For, um, your birthday. Of course.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 07, 2004, 07:56:51 am
I am totally trashed right now, so I apologize if this post makes no sense.

I haven't been this drunk since...um...the late nineties.  But, I have my best friends here with me and it's OK.  Pedro is taking pictures of me in his spiderman t-shirt with a tiara on talking to you...I'm really trashed and...um...this was a great birthday...really...and you all helped.  It was awesome to talk to you all, and I wish I'd been able to talk to the people I called later in the day for longer, but unfortunately time just didn't allow it.  

I think there will be pictures to post tomorrow, after the hangover wears off.  But for now, I'll say this: thank you all for making me feel loved on my birthday, and you're all fantastic.  I'm not saying that just before I'm drunk, I really do appreciate you all choosing me to run this board, and it really meant a lot to me that you guys picked me out of all the old dumbrell-ites to moderate the new community.  

I'm going to go, because I'm trashed and my real-life friends want to make me do stupid human tricks.  

Oh damn, I hope Pedro doesn't post these videos.  

I'm done now.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: St_Zartan on February 07, 2004, 01:34:13 pm
(http://mywebpage.netscape.com/zartan00001/thumbsup.gif)
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 07, 2004, 03:06:56 pm
Post them, Pedro!
Yay drunken birthdays!
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: andalucia on February 07, 2004, 03:32:12 pm
I totally second both of Carlos's sentiments.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 07, 2004, 07:09:42 pm
I'm confused from earlier: how can it possibly take 'most of an evening' to get a mohawk??

Also, Happy Birthday JL, whom I was privileged to speak with just, I think, before the heavy drinking set in. I hope you remember everything and I hope it was good.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on February 07, 2004, 07:21:23 pm
Happy birthday JL - I'm a day late and, well, I have enough money.

Also: AugustW, don't try to poach my number.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: Bozack on February 07, 2004, 09:49:48 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
I'm confused from earlier: how can it possibly take 'most of an evening' to get a mohawk??

When you're using a beard trimmer that you keep having to recharge for an hour for 5 minutes of trimmin'.
Yeah, it's definitely one of those hair cuts that looks good from certain angles. From the side: good. From the front, I look like Zippy or something.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: Pedro Picasso on February 07, 2004, 10:59:48 pm
I'm back to work today, so I don't have an incredible amount of time to post.  I just wanted to thank everybody who participated in the unfortunately named Project: Tetsuo.  You're all neat people, and Jamie had a great time talking to you.  I know this because she hates talking on the phone and she would talk for a half hour at a time (excepting those times where external forces forced the conversation to be cut short).  You guys really are neat, and I'm so glad it turned out well.  There will be pictures posted some time soon, and possibly video of JL drunk, but I don't know if I trust the intarweb with all that.

As for those who didn't get the chance to talk to JL, I really apologize.  I had a very limited amount of time to send out phone number requests.  I really didn't mean to leave anyone out, but it's hard to keep up with who all has been posting recently and who has faded out for a time.  If you'd like to talk, by all means send your number and JL will gab atcha for an hour and a half.

For anyone who wants to talk to me, I can only be reached at 1-900-deep-dikn.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: St_Zartan on February 07, 2004, 11:41:02 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
For anyone who wants to talk to me, I can only be reached at 1-900-deep-dikn.


You've still got that preferred customer discount going on, right? Because I'm not paying another ten bucks to renew my club card, free newsletter be damned.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 08, 2004, 03:52:36 am
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
Jamie had a great time talking to you.  I know this because she hates talking on the phone and she would talk for a half hour at a time (excepting those times where external forces forced the conversation to be cut short).

Yeah, way to throw a surprise party in the middle of my conversation. I feel the love . . . and it's very cold and prickly
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 08, 2004, 04:58:22 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Yeah, way to throw a surprise party in the middle of my conversation. I feel the love . . . and it's very cold and prickly


That was my fault.  I was late to my own party, and was supposed to call you half an hour in to the festivites instead of en route to them.  I was so engrossed in our conversation that I didn't even hear my mother's entreaties for me to finish my conversation before I went in the house...anyway, in response to your question, the answer is 228.  The further up you go, the farther spaced they are.  

V, Choop, and Nabubrush, if you're up for it, I'm willing to give rainchecks.  PM me your info and I'll see what I can do.

Edit: Tomorrow, when I'm less groggy, cleaner, and more coherent, I'll tell you the whole grand story of my 52-hour birthday celebration.  For now I'll just summarize by telling you that the last party guests left at 7 PM this evening and I will probably spend the rest of my life trying to do something half as cool for Pedro.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: Pedro Picasso on February 08, 2004, 05:09:45 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Yeah, way to throw a surprise party in the middle of my conversation. I feel the love . . . and it's very cold and prickly


Dude, I am totally sorry.  But really, your pain pales in comparison to ferocious j who got called in the middle of his commute after he had expressly requested that I hold off the call until later when he would be in a better mood and be able to enjoy the conversation.

I'm sorry Cort.  And, J, next time I'm drinkin' a foty, there be some poured out for you.  See you at the crossroads, man.

*sniff*
No more discounts, Zartan.  Your hyper-colored ass pays full price here on out.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: St_Zartan on February 08, 2004, 05:22:19 am
Quote from: "jldunston"
...my 52-hour birthday celebration...


Holy dang, even the fuck*ng Starchild from 2001 didn't take that long to hatch. This is the sort of hubristic (note: may not actually be a word) revelry that the gods used to punish with lightning and poison and inconvenient pregnancy, way back in the days of togas and buggery and over-enthusiastic geometry. These days, the gods just wander into fast food restaurants with sub-machine guns, their fingers crossed.

YOU WIN THIS ROUND

Quote from: "Pedro Picasso, Apparently Some Sort Of Phone Sex Big Shot"
No more discounts, Zartan. Your hyper-colored ass pays full price here on out.


FAME HAS RUINED YOU

(Edit: I had some commas flown in from my supplier in Buenos Aires)
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on February 08, 2004, 07:17:25 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"

V, Choop, and Nabubrush, if you're up for it, I'm willing to give rainchecks.  PM me your info and I'll see what I can do.


You know, for me, it's the thought that counts - I really appreciate it. However, I have about a week before I go back to work, and then when I come home (two weeks later) I will have to sort of Scramble(s the dog) to get everything finished for the move. Maybe after I get settled?
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: Bozack on February 08, 2004, 09:18:19 pm
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
FAME HAS RUINED YOU

Hey, man. Nobody ever called Pedro Picasso an asshole.
(cue Modern Lovers)
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 08, 2004, 09:34:34 pm
Quote from: "Nabubrush drinks (a lot)"
Quote from: "jldunston"

V, Choop, and Nabubrush, if you're up for it, I'm willing to give rainchecks.  PM me your info and I'll see what I can do.


You know, for me, it's the thought that counts - I really appreciate it. However, I have about a week before I go back to work, and then when I come home (two weeks later) I will have to sort of Scramble(s the dog) to get everything finished for the move. Maybe after I get settled?


Sure thing.  Let us know.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: AugustWest on February 09, 2004, 05:15:39 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
Quote from: "St_Zartan"
FAME HAS RUINED YOU

Hey, man. Nobody ever called Pedro Picasso an asshole.
(cue Modern Lovers)


Yeah, but have you heard about the artist, Vincent VanGogh?
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: Bozack on February 09, 2004, 05:44:18 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
Yeah, but have you heard about the artist, Vincent VanGogh?

Well, I do know that you step on Degas to make the Van Gogh! HAHAHAHAH!
Sometimes I cry.
Title: duh
Post by: doomglobe on February 09, 2004, 08:34:13 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
Allright, I'll bite.  

Why number two?


WELL, number 1 is peepee, so by process of elimination...
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: doomglobe on February 09, 2004, 08:35:01 pm
oh I forgot to add the smily face so you would know I was kidding.
0 0
\_/
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: V-Adore on February 09, 2004, 09:27:09 pm
I sure as hell hope the "process of elimination" pun was intentional, Doomer.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: ferocious j on February 09, 2004, 09:53:09 pm
Quote from: "Pedro Picasso"
But really, your pain pales in comparison to ferocious j who got called in the middle of his commute after he had expressly requested that I hold off the call until later when he would be in a better mood and be able to enjoy the conversation.

Oh hell, man, it wasn't like that!  ^_^  It's just that this cellphone of mine is practically a candy-filled toy and I was worried that the call would sound like this coming from my end:

"Hey -- you -- birthday -- hap -- good -- how -- knowing?"

Thank god it didn't.  You both are fuck*ng cool as hell for pulling this whole thing off.  I drink to you!
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: AugustWest on February 09, 2004, 10:00:51 pm
We were promised pictures....
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 10, 2004, 04:36:24 pm
Ah yes.  I had all but forgotten.  

I'm pulling them off my digicam now.  As soon as they're cropped uploaded and cropped, I'll put them up, I promise.  

In other news, I can totally hear your voices in my head while I read your posts now.  It's more than a little creepy.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: AugustWest on February 10, 2004, 05:15:47 pm
We can hear you too.....
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 10, 2004, 05:42:55 pm
So is it wrong that I recorded the coversation?

And did some editing so it sounds like JL says "I love you, CortJstr"?

And that it's now my startup sound?
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jough on February 10, 2004, 06:06:18 pm
Dude, my creepy-meter just tilted to the red zone.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: Nabubrush on February 10, 2004, 06:14:38 pm
Nice Jough would have thought that was sweet.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 10, 2004, 06:25:27 pm
Ok.  Here are some pics.  Sorry this message is going to be enormous.  

I pulled these from our video capture program, so the quality isn't great.  I was much cuter in person.  

This is me on the phone with CortJstr as I walked into my surprise party.  

(http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/jlbday1.bmp)

Here's a close-up of me, moments later, realizing that I'd been "punk'd," as the kids are saying these days.  

(http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/jlbday3.bmp)

This is me, sitting in my living room while my friends tell me the lengths to which Pedro had gone to surprise me.  

(http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/jlbday7.bmp)

This is the man who made it all possible, playing host.  

(http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/jlbday9.bmp)

This is me, several hours later, under the effect of multiple Cuba Libres.  

(http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/jlbday12.bmp)

This is me drinking 7-Up and Irish Whiskey, because we ran out of rum and coke.  

(http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/jlbday16.bmp)

This is me, after having slipped into something more comfortable, posting the message that shall live in infamy forever.  

(http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/jlbday19.bmp)

This is me, looking every bit the delicate flower that I am, pointing at someone.  This seems to happen quite a bit when I'm intoxicated, a fact I recently discovered while watching the tape.  

(http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/jlbday21.bmp)

This is me, thinking about something, with the glimmer of the TOUAMB logo in the background.  

(http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/jlbday23.bmp)

For those of you who are particularly curious, there are 24 pictures on the server, numbered accordingly.  Just visit http://www.x-omega.com/jamie/jlbday2.bmp to start the tour.  (You've already seen 1, 3, 7, 9, 12, 16, 19, 21, and 23.)  

Enjoy, and thanks again for helping make my silver birthday the best birthday ever.  

Especially you, Pedro.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 10, 2004, 06:28:32 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
So is it wrong that I recorded the coversation?

And did some editing so it sounds like JL says "I love you, CortJstr"?

And that it's now my startup sound?


When Pedro comes home, I'll have him fire up his mic.  PM me your email address and I'll send you a .wav.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: slink on February 10, 2004, 06:37:00 pm
That post just adores dial-up I tell you!

It's amusing, since those pictures make it look suspiciously like no one else is there. Maybe Pedro was around for a bit to wave a drink around, and then it's just you sat in a room with your imaginary friends getting very, very drunk!
Or, they just wisely avoided the camera!
And hey, I know that these are photos of the birthday girl, thus we don't expect to see other people, I was just commenting.
Dear me, you know what I mean!

Anyway, looks like a mildly debaucherous party in the good ways. Not the really good ways, they tend to be saved for non birthdays.

Congrats to Pedro for pulling off most complex birthday of the decade!
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 10, 2004, 06:39:56 pm
Actually, I just wanted to avoid posting pictures of other people without their express permission.  Jough's slapped my hand on similar things often enough that I'm sensitive to it now.  

Especially that picture of me drunkenly patting my best friend's ass.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 10, 2004, 06:47:09 pm
So the Tiara is there, but where is the plaid skirt? I was hoping you would be showing off the presents from that INSPIRED gifting idea.

Looks like you had a hell of a good time, which is awesome.
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: jay-ell on February 10, 2004, 06:54:07 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
So the Tiara is there, but where is the plaid skirt? I was hoping you would be showing off the presents from that INSPIRED gifting idea.

Looks like you had a hell of a good time, which is awesome.


It's not plaid, unfortunately.  It's plain black with silver buckles.  

And no, there won't be photos of that!
Title: happy birthday JLDunston Thread
Post by: CortJstr on February 10, 2004, 09:49:18 pm
Quote from: "jough"
Dude, my creepy-meter just tilted to the red zone.


<E.V.A. voice>Mission Accomplished. Good job, Commander.

.
.
.

Quote from: "jldunston"
When Pedro comes home, I'll have him fire up his mic. PM me your email address and I'll send you a .wav.


Correction: Mission Failure</E.V.A. voice>

Dammit! You people are hard to creep out. You keep raising the bar on me.