The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Trivial Pursuits => Wild Card => Topic started by: Mite on February 14, 2004, 06:03:48 pm

Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: Mite on February 14, 2004, 06:03:48 pm
Happy Valentine's Day to all of you with somebody hot lying around to buy you things today.

To all the rest of us - I'm hanging out at the (in)famous Claremont Lounge here in Atlanta tonight, if anybody's interested. I figure it's the second best way to spend a V-Day. Though last year wasn't a bad plan either: rounding up all my single friends to watch Crossroads, starring Britney Spears.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: V-Adore on February 14, 2004, 06:24:57 pm
A friend of mine had a birthday party last night* involving copious amounts of alcohol, so apparently at least two of my friends are starting V-Day in the Health Center. Joy!

That said, I think it'll be all right. It's honestly a little better than it could have been -- most of the conspicuously coupled people are hungover and/or still drunk and thus quiet, which is more than I'd hoped for.

* Because it was actually his birthday. Not just, you know, randomly.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: jough on February 14, 2004, 08:02:23 pm
V, you forgot your footnote asteriskal remark.

I will spend the night by myself watching a film about a Japanese man who's dying of cancer.

I'd thought of going out to pick up a lonely desperate girl, but then in the morning I'd be stuck with a lonely desperate girl.  Better to just chill here.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: V-Adore on February 14, 2004, 08:14:10 pm
Okay, edited. Anyway, the drunk people are apparently back up and around and loud (with responses from "oh my god I'm so sorry I'm never getting drunk EVER AGAIN" to "c'mon, that was great! Who cares if we fucked over the Muslim kids?!") but the day's not hosed yet.

Ikiru sounds like a hell of an idea.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: jough on February 14, 2004, 08:22:40 pm
I didn't say I was going to be watching Ikiru.  I mean, it could be a different film about a dying Japanese man, no?
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: V-Adore on February 14, 2004, 08:57:49 pm
Quote from: "jough"
I didn't say I was going to be watching Ikiru.  I mean, it could be a different film about a dying Japanese man, no?

Point taken. I am woefully ill-versed in the "Japanese man dying of cancer" subgenre.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: Choop on February 14, 2004, 09:24:55 pm
Oh, snap! The missus and I just about went to the Clermont Lounge last night! Tonight is the stay-in-and-chill-out-with-each-other night, wherein we cook king crab legs and drink champagne and watch pay-per-view and live frivolously in several ways.

We've just gotten back from a six-hour shopping spree, replete with impossible crowds, terribly-behaved children (other people's), and ridiculous parking. I can't say I'm even interested in leaving the safety and sanctity of the apartment again for another week.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: wombat on February 14, 2004, 10:04:11 pm
Quote from: "Choopernickel"

We've just gotten back from a six-hour shopping spree, replete with impossible crowds, terribly-behaved children (other people's), and ridiculous parking. I can't say I'm even interested in leaving the safety and sanctity of the apartment again for another week.


This reminds me why I am not minding working on weekends.  I never have this experience anymore.

My spouse is away on a cross country skiing trip without me.  Isn't that wrong?  I am eating frozen fried chicken and Achewood home fries, and spending the evening sitting around on the couch by myself with the laptop computer and the laptop dog. Isn't that sad?  Except that that's what I mostly do on a Saturday night even when he's home.  The real tragedy is that I forgot to buy any Valentine's chocolate.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: andalucia on February 14, 2004, 10:06:25 pm
I'm opting for alone-Valentine's, with chocolate, good pot, and Finnegans Wake.  I gave it a few months of rest, but I wanted to find the most supremely unromantic thing I could do today, and it fit the bill nicely.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: St_Zartan on February 14, 2004, 10:10:07 pm
Quote from: "wombat"
The real tragedy is that I forgot to buy any Valentine's chocolate.


This just means that you get to make the March of the Lonely down that tattered, pinkly faded Valen-aisle on February the Fifteenth, scooping up unloved heart-shaped boxes of chocolate whatevers at a deep discount.

You'll show them for leaving you all alone, goddamn it.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: St_Zartan on February 14, 2004, 10:16:17 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
...I wanted to find the most supremely unromantic thing I could do today, and it fit the bill nicely.


Your afternoon sounds positively swoony compared to these joyless fucks (http://www.globeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20040214.wvale0214/BNStory/International/). Let's hear it for modern culture, folks.

or

RELIGION IS MESSED UP
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: Nabubrush on February 14, 2004, 10:51:34 pm
Quote from: "Psycho Extremist"
There are certain social values dear to us. What is acceptable to an American audience might not be acceptable to an Indian audience,


No, buddy, you'll find beating the shit out of people for being different is dear to many Americans as well.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: wombat on February 14, 2004, 11:01:23 pm
Oh look, I just found two expensive chocolate bars in the house.  I will sit around and eat these and fantasize about someone cute from work. So there.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: AugustWest on February 14, 2004, 11:03:20 pm
I'm taking the wife and kids bowling.  Isn't it romantic?
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: andalucia on February 14, 2004, 11:07:29 pm
I envy you.  The only bowling alley within 50 km of here just collapsed.  No more bowling.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: sjlimmer on February 14, 2004, 11:26:21 pm
I started valentines day by going to a midnight showing of Rear Window, but it's mostly downhill from there.  My big plan for the afternoon is to clean my apartment, go grocery shopping, and maybe stop by school for a bit.  At least my girlfriend is coming over for a late dinner when she gets off work*.









*but after selling flowers for 8 hours today, I'm not sure how festive a mood she'll be in.  
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: CortJstr on February 14, 2004, 11:31:13 pm
Um, we bought supplies for a game day tomorrow with some of our friends. And tonight we're headed to a college bar to watch Mary Prankster
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: wombat on February 14, 2004, 11:39:39 pm
Quote from: "andalucia"
I envy you.  The only bowling alley within 50 km of here just collapsed.  No more bowling.


We need to know more of this story.  Should we fear for the safety of AugustWest and his adorable family?  Have bowling alleys all over North America suddenly become unstable?
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: jough on February 14, 2004, 11:46:54 pm
Indy on DVD :up:

Okay, as much as I've been trying to put on the brave face and spend VD alone, I can't help but feel sad and just terribly terribly lonely.

I doubt even tacos will cheer me up. :(

I'm trying to restrain myself from going out to a pub and fuck*ng some random stranger, because that will just result in worse loneliness.

Ah, Internet, you've never let me down, my sweet.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: Nabubrush on February 15, 2004, 12:01:56 am
Hey now, we all love you!
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: wombat on February 15, 2004, 12:53:18 am
Don't do that, it make me sad to think about it and I'm trying to put a brave face on things too here.

Valentine's Day is just a conspiracy of the card-flower-chocolate-industrial complex anyway.  There is no reason to feel lonlier tonight than any other night that you are not partaking of the consumer culture.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 15, 2004, 01:27:00 am
This is maybe the first year in my 36 on this planet that I actually spent decent money on valentine's day. Wife gets jewelry from me and the kid, kid gets this goofy Bob the Builder game, wife got roses, kid got a chocolate rose, and it's not even 3 pm. My truck even got a new battery and the tires rotated. Wife is grousing because she hasn't gotten me anything yet. She just went out for a 'haircut' (it's only 3 here) so cross your fingers for me.

It's a family valentine's day Dinner at Zias Italian Bistro for us tonight! Woo!
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: wombat on February 15, 2004, 01:37:15 am
I'm jealous.  No one rotated my tires today.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 15, 2004, 01:40:35 am
that's a pity!

But you have chocolate and a dog and a fantasy so you're doing better than me at the moment.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2004, 01:50:03 am
Quote from: "wombat"
I'm jealous.  No one rotated my tires today.


The temptation to turn that into something sexual is awful
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 15, 2004, 02:03:30 am
Well, if she would've said oil change I would have jumped in there. At least I didn't get my drains roto-rooted today.

How's the night with Fantasy Zoo-Boy going, there, Wombat?
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: wombat on February 15, 2004, 02:06:33 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Quote from: "wombat"
I'm jealous.  No one rotated my tires today.


The temptation to turn that into something sexual is awful


I was hoping it would be.  I've got the the dog and the chocolate and the zoo guy who is it very wrong of me to fantasize about - all I need to make my evening complete is to be exchanging double entendres with strange men on the internet, don't you think?
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2004, 02:17:56 am
I'll exchange your double entendre. No wait.

I'm bad at this.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 15, 2004, 02:21:29 am
If two ladies want to exchange double entendres, I'll video.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: wombat on February 15, 2004, 02:45:26 am
Well, it's way past my bedtime.  Everyone have a nice rest of their Valentine's Day without me.  I hope I'm right that fantasy boy is off tomorrow so I don't run into him till my lovely memories of our nonexistent evening have faded. Or at least till I come up with some reasonable fake excuse for my blushing.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 15, 2004, 02:56:22 am
Personally, I'd be flattered. But it would change something I think.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: jough on February 15, 2004, 04:59:21 am
Quote from: "wombat"
Valentine's Day is just a conspiracy of the card-flower-chocolate-industrial complex anyway.  There is no reason to feel lonlier tonight than any other night that you are not partaking of the consumer culture.


This is true, but the constant reminders from the commercial Valentine's Day Consortium just makes me consider how lonely I am pretty much all the time.

I'm just going to go and cry myself to sleep now.

Don't mind me, it's the Ardbeg talking.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: CortJstr on February 15, 2004, 06:31:16 am
Home from Mary Prankster. The opener, Disco Stu, calls themselves "Worst. Band. Ever." and they are not lying. Oh my god the suck.

But Mary rocked. Whoo!
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: Mite on February 15, 2004, 06:58:34 am
All my friends with significant others ditched me tonight, so no Claremont, sadly. I called up a buddy whose gf had been messing with his mind for months, and we went out and had a good time. Went home alone, but I'm suprisingly ok with this. I'll bring him around, I know it.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: V-Adore on February 16, 2004, 03:26:37 pm
Triumph of the weekend, on retrospect: The Asshole did not rant on and on about his boyfriend and how his boyfriend was so touched that he got him a huge-ass teddy bear.

(Does this strike anyone else as a mildly weird gift to get in a vacuum? Or am I just bitter?)

Secondary triumph: going to Boston next weekend for one-week-retroactive V-Day celebration with The SO.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: jay-ell on February 16, 2004, 06:30:19 pm
This year I had a lovely Valentine's day that involved watching a romance blossom between my best girlfriend and a close friend of Pedro's.  It was neat.  

Last year, I threw myself a belated birthday party on Valentine's Day, and of the forty-odd people who RSVP'd in the affirmative, 11 showed up.  Six of those that did show up did so only after Pedro called them and pleaded with them to come by for just a little while.  The worst part was, I knew a lot of people wouldn't be able to make it from the get-go, but the ones who said two days before the party that they'd be there and then totally ditched me made me really angry.  I'm still bitter about it, actually.  It's everyone's worst fear: what if I threw a party and nobody came?  

It was the worst valentine's day/birthday ever.  But, at least I found out who my real friends are.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: CortJstr on February 16, 2004, 06:39:12 pm
Quote from: "jldunston"
It was the worst valentine's day/birthday ever.  But, at least I found out who my real friends are.


All your real friends are on the Internet. We're the greatest.

Although I may have just created some kind of connotational paradox around the word "real." If space/time or all language breaks down into chaos I apologize ahead of time. While you can still understand it.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: AugustWest on February 16, 2004, 06:46:12 pm
I bowled a 125 and then a 107.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: AlohaDawg on February 16, 2004, 07:37:03 pm
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Triumph of the weekend, on retrospect: The Asshole did not rant on and on about his boyfriend and how his boyfriend was so touched that he got him a huge-ass teddy bear..


Was so touched...huge ass....teddy bear.....his boyfriend......


Must not connect dots.....image of asshat neighbor having anal sex with large-posteriored plush animal.....

dammit. Valentines day will never be the same.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: jough on February 16, 2004, 08:51:43 pm
I watched sad sack movies and then drank myself to sleep.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: andalucia on February 16, 2004, 09:35:08 pm
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I bowled a 125 and then a 107.


I'm glad you managed to avoid the plague of structurally unstable bowling alleys.  Me, I ended up going to a friend's for a while, then leaving around 3 for apple crisp at the truck stop with two of my best friends.  All in all, pretty ok.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: CortJstr on February 16, 2004, 09:38:55 pm
I've either e-mailed or PMed a special Valentine to everybody in this thread. If I missed anybody (or the e-mail address in the memberlist isn't accurate) let me know and I can resend.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: jough on February 16, 2004, 10:11:34 pm
I didn't get one, but somehow I think I just DON'T WANT A VALENTINE'S MESSAGE FROM A DUDE.

You.  Are. VIOLATING.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: V-Adore on February 16, 2004, 10:28:21 pm
Quote from: "AlohaDawg"
Quote from: "V-Adore"
Triumph of the weekend, on retrospect: The Asshole did not rant on and on about his boyfriend and how his boyfriend was so touched that he got him a huge-ass teddy bear..


Was so touched...huge ass....teddy bear.....his boyfriend......


Must not connect dots.....image of asshat neighbor having anal sex with large-posteriored plush animal.....

dammit. Valentines day will never be the same.

To be entirely fair, it was Asshat's Boyfriend who ended up with the teddy bear, and I don't know the guy at all -- except that apparently he's head over heels for Asshat, which makes me wonder, but...

Oh, never mind. I'm not going to rant on this, just put in my three days and hitch a bus to Boston.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: CortJstr on February 17, 2004, 12:38:07 am
Quote from: "jough"
I didn't get one, but somehow I think I just DON'T WANT A VALENTINE'S MESSAGE FROM A DUDE.

You.  Are. VIOLATING.


I sent it to the admin address listed in your profile. It's just an mp3. I'd post the link here but I don't think I have enough bandwidth for anybody who comes along to click it.

Ray reference noted and appreciated though.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: jough on February 17, 2004, 01:53:43 am
Okay, I actually *did* receive it, but it wound up in my spam folder.

And yeah, I wanted to be the first to use the new catchphrase on the board.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: CortJstr on February 17, 2004, 03:21:41 am
What flagged it as spam? Mp3? Or do you have a white-list system going on?
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: jough on February 17, 2004, 03:24:40 am
Quote from: "CortJstr"
What flagged it as spam? Mp3? Or do you have a white-list system going on?


It's hard to tell with Eudora.  I have since white-listed your e-mail address, though, so you may feel free to send things along and I won't miss them.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: pmcd9 on February 17, 2004, 06:10:26 am
Quote from: "AugustWest"
I bowled a 125 and then a 107.


My brother bowled a 300 game last week.  We're all so very proud of him.

~Paul
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 17, 2004, 01:00:03 pm
I bowled last week for the first time in over a year, and didn't do half-bad:  120 and 145.
Title: Razzlefrazzlefriggin' Valentine's Day grumblegrumble
Post by: Nabubrush on February 17, 2004, 05:37:53 pm
CortJstr, thank you for being my special Valentine! And I didn't get you anything, but I feel ok because of your sweet gift. I am listening to it right now and it is quite tasty - especially because I was wondering about them.