The OFFICIAL Unofficial Achewood Message Board

Achewood => Achewood => Topic started by: elfbabe on February 18, 2004, 10:15:27 am

Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: elfbabe on February 18, 2004, 10:15:27 am
Oh man. Beef reminds me of me.

This raises a ton of questions, though. Is Molly alive? If not, does this mean that we can communicate with the dead through Calvin Klein purchases rather than through those annoying medium types?

Also, I don't know if I should have noticed this before, but check the first panel. It looks like Beef bites his... ah... claws?
Title: Re: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: starlight on February 18, 2004, 10:19:12 am
Quote from: "elfbabe"
This raises a ton of questions, though. Is Molly alive? If not, does this mean that we can communicate with the dead through Calvin Klein purchases rather than through those annoying medium types?


I was going to bring up this very question.. well, more in the form of 'what in the hell?  the dead can communicate through packages sent through the mail?'

...hah Beef burying the shirt amuses me.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: palm trees on February 18, 2004, 10:38:08 am
beef burying the shirt makes me cry.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: palm trees on February 18, 2004, 11:06:03 am
heh, also note:
even beef's creases are mathematical.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: CortJstr on February 18, 2004, 01:50:22 pm
Clearly in heaven you can still use the internet. What else would they do with all that free time?

I'm trying to figure out if the real Philippe would even know the word arrogant. And shouldn't beef see the irony in Ray calling comebody cocky?
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: Gimpson on February 18, 2004, 01:52:29 pm
Poor Beef.  

This is only going to backfire on him next time he's killed.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: slink on February 18, 2004, 01:53:35 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Clearly in heaven you can still use the internet. What else would they do with all that free time?


But there all the people on the net are pleasant and helpful. Unlike you fuckers!
*grin*
Anyway, that should be 'us fuckers'!
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: CortJstr on February 18, 2004, 02:02:30 pm
Quote from: "slink"
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Clearly in heaven you can still use the internet. What else would they do with all that free time?


But there all the people on the net are pleasant and helpful. Unlike you fuckers!
*grin*
Anyway, that should be 'us fuckers'!


Where do you think actual, usuable, informative FAQs come from? And tutorials for things like http, css, and robots.txt?
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: Carlos del Vaca on February 18, 2004, 03:08:35 pm
Oh, Beef.  You poor guy.  Wear the shirt your lady bought you with pride!  Go roast up a rooster ding-dong in her honor!
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: slink on February 18, 2004, 03:17:17 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"

Where do you think actual, usuable, informative FAQs come from? And tutorials for things like http, css, and robots.txt?


Has to be said, something like this (http://www.csszengarden.com) could only come from Heaven!

Edited to correct the url. Goddamnit.
And indeed, W3C could only reside there too.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: wombat on February 18, 2004, 04:02:20 pm
Quote from: "CortJstr"
Clearly in heaven you can still use the internet.


Of COURSE.  It wouldn't be heaven otherwise.

And in Heaven there is no 404 Not Found message.

In Hell you have a slow dial-up connection and you spend most of your time sitting there waiting.  You do actually get to see a web page once in a while, just often enough to make you keep hoping and trying.  And you almost always lose your phone connection in the middle of trying to send a long email message that you forgot to save a draft of.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: V-Adore on February 18, 2004, 04:04:21 pm
I hope someone manages to save Beef (and/or his shirt). This is the saddest thing.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: jough on February 18, 2004, 04:10:14 pm
Molly is more thoughtful in death than most women are in life.

Beef burying his new shirt because he fears being made fun of for wearing it is the new SADDEST THING.

I think this is the first Achewood strip that has upset me.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: slink on February 18, 2004, 04:38:19 pm
Quote from: "jough"

I think this is the first Achewood strip that has upset me.


It didn't upset me, but there is a deep-down niggling feeling that it does.
It's just not right.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: sjlimmer on February 18, 2004, 04:44:34 pm
When I first saw the last panel, I thought that Beef's new shirt on the ground was a perfectly shirt-shaped hole in which it would be buried.  Which kinda fits for Beef, I think.


Quote from: "palm trees"
heh, also note:
even beef's creases are mathematical.


Glad I'm not the only one to have seen this.  At first, I thought the taggers from my neighborhood had gotten to him (A few years back someone started drawing pi on everything...)
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: jough on February 18, 2004, 04:47:02 pm
Quote from: "palm trees"
heh, also note:
even beef's creases are mathematical.


I don't know if that's supposed to be Pi as much as just a depiction of what the back of an actual nice shirt looks like.

Haven't you ever seen a shirt with that built-in crease thingy?
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: CortJstr on February 18, 2004, 05:33:36 pm
Quote from: "Asherdan"
Quote from: "jough"
Haven't you ever seen a shirt with that built-in crease thingy?


That's what I figured it for.  I also used my imagination to suppose there was the extra loop of fabric back there that in my vernacular is commonly called the 'nerd strap'.


In middle school they were called "fag tags" and forcibly removed in the hallways.

Quote from: "wombat"
And in Heaven there is no 404 Not Found message.

In Hell you have a slow dial-up connection and you spend most of your time sitting there waiting. You do actually get to see a web page once in a while, just often enough to make you keep hoping and trying. And you almost always lose your phone connection in the middle of trying to send a long email message that you forgot to save a draft of.


That was your 404th post. This is awesome.

And from your description I was actually in hell throughout the 90's while I was using AOL v1.1–7
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: wombat on February 18, 2004, 05:48:57 pm
Ooo, how cosmic about my 404th post.

This is hardly the first strip about Roast Beef that has upset me.  So many of them are sad and awful in this way. He is just black and white lines and words on a page, for god's sake he's a cartoon cat, and yet it can make me sad.  I guess this is just something odd about the human brain and how easily manipulated we are.  Damn you, Onstad, working us all like puppets on a string.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: jay-ell on February 18, 2004, 05:49:54 pm
*weeps*
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: Noah on February 18, 2004, 06:05:03 pm
hahah....sadly, this reminds also reminds me of myself. I don't think I've ever worn a shirt with words on it. But I have tons of them. I imagine all these exaggerated responses from people...heh...
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: Bozack on February 18, 2004, 06:15:23 pm
dang, beef. dang. this morning i got up all happy, feeling good. played on my mandolin for a time, listened to some Bill Monroe, made me some eggs. Decided to see what ol' Beef was up to.
Now I'm going to stay inside the rest of the day, holding myself.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: AugustWest on February 18, 2004, 06:44:32 pm
There is a web board
Everyone is there
And everyone will post
At exactly the same time.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: wombat on February 18, 2004, 06:56:49 pm
Quote from: "Bozack"
dang, beef. dang. this morning i got up all happy, feeling good. played on my mandolin for a time, listened to some Bill Monroe, made me some eggs. Decided to see what ol' Beef was up to.
Now I'm going to stay inside the rest of the day, holding myself.


On the other hand, this post is so beautiful that now I feel all better.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: Ben-San on February 18, 2004, 07:29:18 pm
If you can make distorted phone calls from Hell, it's not too surprising that you can send affectionate mail and tasteful gifts from Heaven.

Poor Beef, though.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: slink on February 18, 2004, 07:45:37 pm
Quote from: "Ben-San"
If you can make distorted phone calls from Hell, it's not too surprising that you can send affectionate mail and tasteful gifts from Heaven.


Hmmm. Although that probably means she was trying to send him something like a new graphics card, and thusly Beef was totally right to bury the evil Klein shirt that in fact arrived.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: misterhaan on February 18, 2004, 08:43:00 pm
Quote from: "Noah"
hahah....sadly, this reminds also reminds me of myself. I don't think I've ever worn a shirt with words on it. But I have tons of them. I imagine all these exaggerated responses from people...heh...


i tend to get no response whatsoever, no matter what i wear.  i could probably walk around naked and people woudln't say a thing!
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: CortJstr on February 18, 2004, 09:00:18 pm
Quote from: "misterhaan"
i tend to get no response whatsoever, no matter what i wear.  i could probably walk around naked and people woudln't say a thing!


As long as they don't laugh.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: palm trees on February 19, 2004, 03:23:45 am
Quote from: "jough"
Quote from: "palm trees"
heh, also note:
even beef's creases are mathematical.


I don't know if that's supposed to be Pi as much as just a depiction of what the back of an actual nice shirt looks like.

Haven't you ever seen a shirt with that built-in crease thingy?

well yes, most of my shirts have that.
i just thought it was... appropriate.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: doomglobe on February 19, 2004, 04:03:09 am
I like how his cat fingernails are all stubby from biting them. I think this is the first close up we have seen of beef's paws. this is a pretty great comic.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: pmcd9 on February 19, 2004, 04:28:01 am
I can't believe no one has mentioned this.  We knew Beef had hella depression, but apparently he's a full blown schitzophrenic.  I am deeply concerned for our friend Beef.  This strip makes me want to cry.  

~Paul
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: starlight on February 19, 2004, 11:41:45 am
Now I feel like a heartless bastard for finding it amusing!

...well, okay, in retrospect now that I looked again in a different mood, it does look rather sad.

Apologies.

---

In fact, it reminds me a bit of myself.. if there was a chance I'd get scorned for something, darn right I'd try to get rid of it.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: andalucia on February 19, 2004, 12:45:08 pm
I'm a big fan of alt-text that just reiterates what happens in the comic, as I tend to hear it in my head as solemn newscaster-style narration.
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: Bozack on February 19, 2004, 01:34:34 pm
This strip would be so much better if he was burying on a hillside at night, in the rain, during a thunderstorm.

"no one can ever know."
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: palm trees on February 19, 2004, 04:25:50 pm
the really upsetting thing in this strip is thinking just how nice ray would actually have been about beef's shirt had he seen it. he'd call him hella flash and give him advice for something to send her back.

 :(
Title: How could you BE so cocky?! 18 Feb 2004
Post by: PinkStainlessTail on February 19, 2004, 08:03:55 pm
I just noticed Beef has punctuation in the first two panels before he gets all anxious again. Poor lad.